IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th March 2017, 04:50 PM   #1
FormerBeliever
New Blood

The Black Eyed Children Conspiracy

Hi, I'm someone who tries to rationalize or get answes, and at times trying to find answers will consume me. I am aware that sometimes there aren't answers to be found at this point in time, but I would still like your ideas on matters. And maybe there are answers out there.
A few years ago, I was on the phone with a friend and my phone kept glit hing out. A while later (we were on the phone 6 or 7 hours total), probably about 2 hours in, she hears a child say "hello." A couple more hours go by and I hear the same thing. I didn't hear it when it happened to her, but only when it happened to me. We freak out and she later dreams of two children with all black eyes. I see on social media about a week later of the same thing happening to other people. Thoughts? Non-paranormal potential answers? I don't believe in ghosts, but that is still something in the back of my mind.
FormerBeliever is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 04:56 PM   #2
baron

Perhaps your wildly excessive phone use caused hallucinations, much like William Hurt in 'Altered States', although he used a sensory deprivation chamber instead of a phone, and heard his father talking to a six eyed goat about Revelation, but I think it all stems from the same thing.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 05:34 PM   #3
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Originally Posted by FormerBeliever View Post
Hi, I'm someone who tries to rationalize or get answes, and at times trying to find answers will consume me. I am aware that sometimes there aren't answers to be found at this point in time, but I would still like your ideas on matters. And maybe there are answers out there.
A few years ago, I was on the phone with a friend and my phone kept glit hing out. A while later (we were on the phone 6 or 7 hours total), probably about 2 hours in, she hears a child say "hello." A couple more hours go by and I hear the same thing. I didn't hear it when it happened to her, but only when it happened to me. We freak out and she later dreams of two children with all black eyes. I see on social media about a week later of the same thing happening to other people. Thoughts? Non-paranormal potential answers? I don't believe in ghosts, but that is still something in the back of my mind.

You are misremembering certain details and conflating others, retrospectively seeing patterns where none exist.

Though it hasn't happened to me in a while, crossed phone lines do occur (and did more frequently in the past).

Otherwise, post links to the social media where you claim to have seen this.

ETA: More likely, just admit that you believe in ghosts.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 05:54 PM   #4
The Shrike
Philosopher

Sometimes weird stuff happens and sometimes we think weird stuff happens. At no times are there black-eyed ghost children trying to contact you through your phone.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 06:02 PM   #5
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

They are real: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-eyed_children
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2017, 06:12 PM   #6
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Are they children of the corn?

Originally Posted by Internet Hacker
At no times are there black-eyed ghost children trying to contact you through your phone.
How the hell do you know that? Are you like checking every single telephone call everywhere on a 24/7 hour basis of some sort?
Old 6th March 2017, 07:13 PM   #7
Axxman300
Philosopher

It was just a dream.

Had they knocked on her door you'd have a story.
Old 6th March 2017, 07:23 PM   #8
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

How do you know that they didn't knock on her door, and also we don't have a story?
Old 7th March 2017, 12:01 AM   #9
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

One possible explanation is that the glitching phone was picking up a baby monitor.

Another is that a child came into the room you were in twice whilst you were on the phone and said hello, then went out again when you ignored her; the first time your friend heard her (you were probably speaking at the time), the second time your friend was speaking and it was you who heard her.

There are any number of possible explanations, and insufficient information to narrow it down to any one of them, but there is certainly no reason to assume anything supernatural was happening.
Old 7th March 2017, 01:29 AM   #10
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

And are we ignoring the elephant in the room here - the fact that you spent 8-9 hours on the phone?

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2017, 01:33 AM   #11
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Impressions that make an impact on you during the day often feature in your dreams. If you were freaked out by a child's voice, chances are you're going to dream about a scary child.

What's the paranormal explanation? The thing in your dream was real?
You don't believe that about dreams where you're waiting for the bus, or where you can fly, or where your teeth fall out.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2017, 05:24 AM   #12
baron

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
And are we ignoring the elephant in the room here - the fact that you spent 8-9 hours on the phone?
Not ignoring it, addressed in the first words of the first reply.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2017, 05:37 AM   #13
sackett
Philosopher

Black-eyed children? How very very KEEN!

When I lashed them with a length of chain, they called me sir.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2017, 05:57 AM   #14
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by baron View Post
Perhaps your wildly excessive phone use caused hallucinations
I don't think two hours counts as excessive. And if you get hallucinations for being on the phone too long, consult a physician.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2017, 06:08 AM   #15
baron

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
I don't think two hours counts as excessive. And if you get hallucinations for being on the phone too long, consult a physician.
Consulting a physician about any hallucination would be prudent.
Old 7th March 2017, 06:16 AM   #16
Belz...
Fiend God

True enough.

If you get them talking on the phone, however, maybe you're pressing it too hard on your head.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2017, 06:34 AM   #17
Armitage72
Philosopher

Well, it depends on the source. I'm prone to hypnagogic hallucinations when I'm overly tired. Usually, they're the standard dream state that occurs without quite falling asleep, but sometimes background noises start to resolve themselves into muttering instead. It never forms coherent words, but it's clear enough that I can tell that it's supposed to be voices. I'm just waiting for the day that I talk to a therapist.

"Do you ever hear voices?"
"Not in the sense that you mean."

Probably not the best answer.

Now that I've typed that, if I were talking on the phone for 6-7 hours straight, I would probably start hearing things as fatigue set in.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2017, 06:36 AM   #18
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

The "black eyes" thing has been used in all manner of TV shows and movies to indicate some sort of paranormal activity going on.
The X-files made extensive use of it.

Such images get into your memory as "tropes" and often get figured into dreaming.

Do not bother to try to analyze dreams.....They essentially mean nothing. Dreaming is how your brain does housekeeping.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2017, 07:23 AM   #19
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Did you see any wood clowns?

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2017, 09:11 AM   #20
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Are they children of the corn?

How the hell do you know that? Are you like checking every single telephone call everywhere on a 24/7 hour basis of some sort?
Or Children of the Corn-hole!!!! Or is that the Corn-pone???? Corn Souffle anyone????????
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2017, 09:13 AM   #21
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Did you see any wood clowns?
I think the bad ones are woods clowns. Wood clowns scare some people but cannot actually come after them. Wood clowns can!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2017, 09:14 AM   #22
fuelair
Banned

On the phone.
Old 7th March 2017, 09:42 AM   #23
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Didn't the Black Eyed Boys motorcycle in to town?
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2017, 09:42 AM   #24
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Very strange story! Are you really saying you are in the habit og having hour-long phone conversations, and this was the first and only time you experienced cross-talk???

Hans
Old 7th March 2017, 10:36 AM   #25
LarianLeQuella
Elf Wino

I've watched enough Supernatural to know what's going on here. Better get the Winchesters on this ASAP.
LarianLeQuella is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2017, 10:50 AM   #26
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

IMO, this particular myth was borne out of the movies. Namely the original "Village of the Damned." People have basically added to it over the years, a bit like "the Beast of Bodmin." Are you from the UK, btw? It's a bit of a muddled myth over here.

Depending on where you live, crossed phone-lines aren't uncommon.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2017, 10:53 AM   #27
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

I don't think two hours counts as excessive.
Idk, if two men are conversing for even nearly 2 hours then that's a bit weird and a tad much. Women, on the other hand, can't get them off the bloody phone.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2017, 10:59 AM   #28
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
On the phone.
I've had a 6 hour phone conversation once. I didn't hallucinate.

Old 7th March 2017, 11:06 AM   #29
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

The only person I'll even come close to talking with for 2 hours on the phone is my other half, and even then I try to fight it. Any mate who rings me for even ten-minutes gets a hefty barrel of verbal abuse and a questioning of his manhood.

Old 7th March 2017, 12:51 PM   #30
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

http://web.randi.org/swift/behind-bl...lack-eyed-kids

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2017, 01:01 PM   #31
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
If James Randi put up a picture, I believe it's authentic. We can close the books on this one.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2017, 06:48 PM   #32
Apathia
Philosopher

Available!

If you see a "Black-eyed Child," say. "Lovely contacts!"

http://extremesfx.com/halloween-cont...-contacts.html

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2017, 07:24 PM   #33
fuelair
Banned

I think the bad ones are woods clowns. Wood clowns scare some people but cannot actually come after them. WOODS clowns can!!!!
OOOPPS repeated the singular. Just realized it!!!
Old 7th March 2017, 08:35 PM   #34
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Willow's eyes turned black on BTVS when she went evil. Vampire eyes didn't on that show.

I'm pretty sure Alyson Hannigan's are naturally black. For How I Met Your Mother, she had to wear contacts.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2017, 08:38 PM   #35
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

Interesting... those Islamic 72 "virgins" are originally supposed to be not the souls of humans but some other kind of entity that never lived on Earth in material bodies, and their actual Arabic name refers to their eyes being all black, like a gazelle's.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2017, 09:21 PM   #36
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Not ignoring it, addressed in the first words of the first reply.
The one and only time in the entire thread it has been addressed, yes.

I only go to work for 7 1/2 hours a day - who spends 8-9 hours on the phone?

ETA - sorry. I re-read and I see that it's only 6-7 hours on the phone total. Still.

Three Word Story Wisdom

Last edited by arthwollipot; 7th March 2017 at 09:24 PM.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2017, 09:22 PM   #37
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Personally, I prefer Black Eyed Peas which originated in Africa. A little known fact is that that the first Westerner to discover and cultivate these peas was David Livingstone, and he was holding some when Henry Stanley first met him, which led to the famous words,

Dr Livingstone, a legume.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2017, 01:46 AM   #38
Tolls
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
The only person I'll even come close to talking with for 2 hours on the phone is my other half, and even then I try to fight it.
Fight harder! We're lucky if we get past 15 minutes, and that's usually only if one of the kids has done something utterly daft while I'm away.

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
Any mate who rings me for even ten-minutes gets a hefty barrel of verbal abuse and a questioning of his manhood.
Quite. I mean how long does it take to ask when you're going down the pub?
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2017, 03:17 AM   #39
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
Personally, I prefer Black Eyed Peas which originated in Africa.
No, they originated in America

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Eyed_Peas

smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2017, 03:19 AM   #40
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

On the phone.
You clearly have never had a teenage daughter!!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal