ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , jeffrey meldrum

Old 7th November 2018, 07:30 PM   #3321
DennyT
Illuminator

Originally Posted by DennyT View Post
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=heDQ-TFicmA

This is Meldrum pitching the blimp project. Amazing fantasy.
That was in 2013. In yet another execrable book by a bleever, we learn that by 2011, pilot Michael Greene and others in the Bigfoot community ( not to mention the ridicule from skeptics at this site) knew that the advertised Falcon airship couldn’t fly. Yet Meldrum was still pumping this in 2013. Not to mention the easily discovered facts regarding the blimp company and Gold prospector/Falcon Project Manager William Allen Barnes.
So did Meldrum know/“should have known?”

Last edited by DennyT; 7th November 2018 at 07:35 PM.
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 06:27 AM   #3322
Drewbot
Philosopher

Bigfooters Err- Anthropologists are not Aviation Engineers.

How could he possibly know? Did Pilot Michael Greene publish a peer-reviewed paper saying the blimp couldn't fly?

William Allen Barnes found out quickly about the problems with the vessel, when Tontar destroyed the feasibility of the aircraft design on a public Bigfoot page.

The question you are asking is, did Meldrum knowingly apply for a project grant, from the publicly funded Idaho State University, knowing full well that the design was a failed idea, based on the dreams of an irritably stupid retired gold prospector with no money?

Do public universities allow leeway in the feasibility of the submitted project requests?

Curious about The Shrike's view on this, have you ever submitted a 362,000 dollar project ? What could a wildlife biologist do with such a grant? How many grad students could you pay for with the $260,000 airship cost? How much good could you do for an actual animal with that type of budget? Now, what if your faculty administrator found out you knew that you could not possibly accomplish this project ahead of time?

Would they give you leeway?

Proposed Falcon Project Budget:
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 06:57 AM   #3323
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

The most astounding display of footer ignorance was when Bill Munns proposed being suspended essentially from a porch swing, attached to a helicopter to view/photograph the PGF site from above.
Keep in mind this was proposed in current times....as in drones/google earth are common place. It's almost as if the so called experts have never seen or understand what is visible from the air.
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 07:06 AM   #3324
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cervelo View Post
The most astounding display of footer ignorance was when Bill Munns proposed being suspended essentially from a porch swing, attached to a helicopter to view/photograph the PGF site from above.
Keep in mind this was proposed in current times....as in drones/google earth are common place. It's almost as if the so called experts have never seen or understand what is visible from the air.
I uploaded this picture in December of 2012 for a timeframe.
Yes, and when I asked him if he contacted the FAA about the proposed project, he got all angry and called me a troll.

I also asked him if he had talked to a helicopter pilot who would be willing to dangle a steel cage below his helicopter, above large trees and mountains.

Last edited by Drewbot; 8th November 2018 at 07:07 AM.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 05:32 PM   #3325
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

"Lourdes of London insurance"? "If we pay a claim, it's a miracle!"
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 04:52 AM   #3326
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
"Lourdes of London insurance"? "If we pay a claim, it's a miracle!"
Do they cover Acts of God?
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 08:43 AM   #3327
The Shrike
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Curious about The Shrike's view on this, have you ever submitted a 362,000 dollar project ? What could a wildlife biologist do with such a grant? How many grad students could you pay for with the $260,000 airship cost? How much good could you do for an actual animal with that type of budget? Now, what if your faculty administrator found out you knew that you could not possibly accomplish this project ahead of time?
  1. Biggest for which I took the lead was a bit >$800,000. Biggest ever on which I participated was I think ~ $5million.
  2. $362k would be a wonderful sum for a grant. I could fund something like 3 master's degrees or 1 PhD and 1 master's including field work with a grant that size.
  3. How much good? Oh I bet I could trick out some anti-poaching units in Zimbabwe pretty well on $362k.
  4. Administrators and our offices of Sponsored Programs generally don't review proposals for their specific intellectual merit or feasibility. Their focus is on all the right boxes being ticked in the proper order so that such and such a source can legally hand over such and such money for our use. Some administrator (like a department head) might be looking at such things, but very often they'll rubber stamp anything proposed because departmental productivity includes grant dollars applied for in addition to grants actually awarded.

Thus, the only person truly in position to stop Don Jeffrey from seeking $$$ for a doomed endeavor would be Don Jeffrey himself, who no doubt has somewhere signed something about his commitment to ethical research practices.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 12:40 PM   #3328
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
Do they cover Acts of God?
They are one...

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2018, 09:58 AM   #3329
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

I know the Palmer area well, spent a lot of time flying, hunting, fishing, and working there. Learned to use a double-bubble scribe for constructing log homes from the longtime wrestling coach, a very dear friend of mine, now passed away. The next one was my team-mate in college. I did a number of summer clinics there.

Baker Bob flew his prostitutes out on the gigantic combined river fields off the interface of the Knick and George Glaciers, I have some stunning photos of that area. I put down in some of his sites to get a feel for what it must have been like for the naked girls he hunted down with a bow there. Right here is one:

He knew they'd die of exposure if he couldn't find them and squeeze off a shot with his .223 or lob in a razor-tipped arrow. He'd fly them in handcuffs out there in a supercub just like mine, let them go, and give them a little head start.

Took a sheep backpacking out of Lazy Mountain. A moose up Wolverine Creek. I did a lot of construction in the Sands Lake area across the valley, mostly roads and building pads.

I met some of the people in the fundy circles of the Pilgrim family up off Clark-Wolverine road. I picked them up hitch-hiking to town twice. Never smelled people that bad before, My God. The ones I picked up lived in a beat-up trailer and they had horses. It was apparently the one place Papa Pilgrim let the kids go, and even those people opened their eyes to the "outside world". Where the girls learned child rape is not normal.

I kept my supercub at the Butte, by the drag racing strip. Those in the know will recognize this vicinity as the epicenter for all things Hillbilly and weird, definitely rich in Bigfoot theory and whose birth stock probably measured the lowest in math comprehension ever seen on the international PISA tests.

I landed and parked once in a hayfield near those religious people, and that farmer had a bunch of foster kids working the farm for him. So he got both their foster care stipend and labor on the farm. Across the valley from them was the Palmer Prison. lol. I thought the food there was quite good. A Hell's Angel living nearby (by Chickaloon) had a big pot farm back then. He put the plants in a barn at night, then back out during the day to control the flowering.

I mention this to put a context on this poster from Palmer. You don't want to paint a whole area with one brush. I also did a feasibility study in 2015 for a group trying to put together a Performing Arts Center in Palmer. Because the population has had staggering growth this last generation from an influx of suburbanites from Anchorage. So the old hillbilly and drag-racing crowd, the religious separatists, outlaw bikers and all are increasingly a minority. But if you are going to find a mileau where bigfoot thrives, that's the place.

And in the amount of time I have spent all over there, from the air, shooting animals and so forth, there are no bigfoot.

Last edited by AlaskaBushPilot; 10th November 2018 at 10:01 AM.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2018, 07:59 AM   #3330
The Shrike
Illuminator

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
Baker Bob flew his prostitutes out on the gigantic combined river fields off the interface of the Knick and George Glaciers,
Good heavens! I had to look this guy up harrowing!
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2018, 07:01 AM   #3331
Drewbot
Philosopher

Did I miss the Palmer reference?
Please help
Old 12th November 2018, 11:13 AM   #3332
The Shrike
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Did I miss the Palmer reference?
Please help
I assume reference to Huntster back in action over at the BFF.
Old 14th November 2018, 12:02 PM   #3333
DennyT
Illuminator

It appears that William A. Barnes (a guy who apparently never had a real job and was seemingly a step or two from the poor farm) was supposedly the funding agency to whom Meldrum was applying for the hundreds of thousands of dollars. The idea that this character could produce that kind of of money is exactly as ridiculous as the idea that the catamaran airship would fly.
Helluva way to run a railroad...would, say, a credit check have been out of line? A visit to his digs in St. George? A local reference or three? A call to the disconnected phone of the blimp builder? This sort of background check was what raised the first red flags on Krazie Ketchum.

Last edited by DennyT; 14th November 2018 at 12:09 PM.
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal