ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Reply
Old 3rd April 2020, 05:34 AM   #321
llwyd
Muse
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 711
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
But not up near Admiralty. That's where the troll-farm is, apparently.
Busy as ever!
llwyd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 06:29 AM   #322
timhau
NWO Litter Technician
 
timhau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Posts: 13,963
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
It is not a deliberate decision. It is rather a reflection of his very limited vocabulary, for him hoax is one of the few words he knows he can use when something is in his view "bad" or "negative". That is why he seems to use it inappropriately.
He has the best words. He went for quality, not quantity.
__________________
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord, in his wisdom, doesn't work that way. I just stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
- Emo Philips
timhau is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 07:25 AM   #323
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 19,505
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
A big part of the problem is that Trump is making up his own definition of "hoax", just like he makes up his own version of reality.
See also: Fake news

What does that mean? Nowadays, it's meaningless. It's not referring to news that is fake...
__________________
"As your friend, I have to be honest with you: I don't care about you or your problems" - Chloe, Secret Life of Pets
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 10:12 AM   #324
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 23,101
Over at townhall.com today there's an article about Dan Crenshaw (R- Tex) and his comments about lack of preparedness. He echoes a complaint that I've seen recently a few times, which is that the Strategic National Stockpile was not replenished following the H1N1 epidemic. The Obama administration didn't do what needed to be done, according to the current narrative.

I've seen this often enough, and it struck me as odd, so I decided to look it up, and found this article: https://www.propublica.org/article/u...ed-coronavirus

Summary: The Obama White House budget proposals included money to replenish the stockpiles. The GOP House of Representatives stripped that funding out.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 12:29 PM   #325
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 16,128
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Over at townhall.com today there's an article about Dan Crenshaw (R- Tex) and his comments about lack of preparedness. He echoes a complaint that I've seen recently a few times, which is that the Strategic National Stockpile was not replenished following the H1N1 epidemic. The Obama administration didn't do what needed to be done, according to the current narrative.

I've seen this often enough, and it struck me as odd, so I decided to look it up, and found this article: https://www.propublica.org/article/u...ed-coronavirus

Summary: The Obama White House budget proposals included money to replenish the stockpiles. The GOP House of Representatives stripped that funding out.
Somehow, this did not come as shocking news to me. Trump screaming about how he "inherited a broken system" and how the Obama administration didn't replenish the stockpile when it was the Republicans who refused to approve the budget to do so. So not
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 01:49 PM   #326
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
 
a_unique_person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for the pod bay door to open.
Posts: 42,711
Originally Posted by timhau View Post
He has the best words. He went for quality, not quantity.
The best words. The very, very best words.
__________________
Continually pushing the boundaries of mediocrity.
Everything is possible, but not everything is probable.
“Perception is real, but the truth is not.” - Imelda Marcos
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 01:57 PM   #327
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 16,128
Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
The best words. The very, very best words.
The covfefe of words!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 02:41 PM   #328
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 31,358
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Somehow, this did not come as shocking news to me. Trump screaming about how he "inherited a broken system" and how the Obama administration didn't replenish the stockpile when it was the Republicans who refused to approve the budget to do so. So not
Yet another example of the Right wing defunding and breaking government programs and then pointing it out proof that government doesn't work.
__________________
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 12:01 AM   #329
Lothian
should be banned
 
Lothian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Earth, specifically the crusty bit on the outside
Posts: 15,703
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I have never said he wasn't downplaying the virus. Never.

This was my first post on this subject and it's remained consistent:

#1: Was the statement false? At the risk of being called a 'Trump apologist' (which I most certainly am not as I despise him), I'd have to say it is, at the least, misleading as used in the ad. Trump clearly was referring to the Democrats using the virus, not the virus itself, as a hoax.

If I'm not getting this then neither are Politico, FactCheck.org, Snopes, or PolitiFact. Yet somehow I'm now the one who is 'defending Trump' and 'hair-splitting' because I dared to say that the ad was misleading because Trump never called the virus itself a hoax.

Holy crap...I'll just be sure to fall into line and goose step along with everyone else from now on.
I don't think anyone thought Trump was saying there is no virus and the Chinese were making it up. The 'hoax' was that he needed to react to it. He clearly felt it would not reach America and America didn't need to do anything.

He was wrong.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 03:20 AM   #330
timhau
NWO Litter Technician
 
timhau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Posts: 13,963
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Somehow, this did not come as shocking news to me. Trump screaming about how he "inherited a broken system" and how the Obama administration didn't replenish the stockpile when it was the Republicans who refused to approve the budget to do so. So not
What's more, even if it were true, Trump had 3+ years to do something about it.
__________________
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord, in his wisdom, doesn't work that way. I just stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
- Emo Philips
timhau is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 05:57 AM   #331
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing
 
Regnad Kcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 10,043
Originally Posted by timhau View Post
What's more, even if it were true, Trump had 3+ years to do something about it.
C’mon, those golf balls don’t hit themselves.
__________________
My heros are Alex Zanardi and Evelyn Glennie.
Regnad Kcin is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 06:20 AM   #332
slyjoe
Master Poster
 
slyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Harmonica Virgins, AZ
Posts: 2,149
Originally Posted by timhau View Post
What's more, even if it were true, Trump had 3+ years to do something about it.
With a Republican House and Senate.
__________________
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 06:24 AM   #333
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 17,226
Originally Posted by timhau View Post
What's more, even if it were true, Trump had 3+ years to do something about it.
President He Who Shall Not Be Blamed.
__________________
He must be removed.

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 07:02 AM   #334
Garrison
Philosopher
 
Garrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 5,232
Originally Posted by timhau View Post
What's more, even if it were true, Trump had 3+ years to do something about it.
Yeah after the better part of 4 years in power he could have done something, you know aside from disbanding the pandemic preparedness team and trying to turn a national crisis into a political point scoring contest.
__________________
So I've started a blog about my writing. Check it out at: http://fourth-planet-problem.blogspot.com/
And my first book is on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077W322FX
Garrison is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 07:29 AM   #335
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Port Townsend, Washington
Posts: 29,407
Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
Yeah after the better part of 4 years in power he could have done something, you know aside from disbanding the pandemic preparedness team and trying to turn a national crisis into a political point scoring contest.
In fairness to Trump, it was Bolton who disbanded the team. Trump probably never knew it existed.
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 07:46 AM   #336
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,058
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
In fairness to Trump, it was Bolton who disbanded the team. Trump probably never knew it existed.
In fairness to Bolton (ugh), Dolt 45 lies all the time, so there's no certainty of that at all - and really, he should have known, given that he was alerted to it's importance.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 07:48 AM   #337
slyjoe
Master Poster
 
slyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Harmonica Virgins, AZ
Posts: 2,149
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
In fairness to Trump, it was Bolton who disbanded the team. Trump probably never knew it existed.
So he's going to re-instate the team soon, right?
__________________
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 07:48 AM   #338
Sabretooth
No Ordinary Rabbit
 
Sabretooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wyoming, NY
Posts: 6,753
Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
As someone two counties south of you...

The fact there are more factors in play than Trump could have an impact on in absolutely no way mitigates the harm he has caused by his incompetence and malice. Not even has caused already, but continues to cause. Other people being irresponsible isn't a reason not to oppose and try to figure out how to be effective against Trump and the GOP wrongdoing.
I will give Trump just a little bit of rope here, because the early going was a slew of misinformation coming out of China and the WHO. Trump didn't prepare anything because we were all being told there was nothing to prepare for. The SARS scare of 2003-04 turned out to be nothing, so that's what EVERYONE (ie: not just Trump) was expecting.

I'm even extending this pass to our governor, King Andy Cuomo, who I absolutely despise. No one really expected this level of intensity in the early going. Even our medical briefs at our fire department were rather low-key and mainly simple discussions on mitigating spread of germs.

I'm not opposing blame for Trump's slow response. But I DO recall people bashing the living crap out of him for OVERreacting. This coming from the blue side. There are several articles from blue media sources in late January predicting doom and gloom as they felt Trump was going to overreacted to this.

Quote:
Your reasoning just doesn't hold. Those idiots you see not following social distancing, how does that excuse Trump not allowing supplies to be managed nationally? How does that excuse Trump pushing treatments that have not been vetted? How does that excuse Trump and the GOP dismantling systems and information that would have helped contain this very threat?
Trump is at fault for listening to his wacko advisors, but that's does not absolve people from person responsibility. So my reasoning is just fine. You can blame Trump if you like, but on the whole, people aren't listening to him anyway. The only ones I hear downplaying this virus are the extreme right wingers.

My reasoning is completely justified based on the reactions of the people in my home state. These people, in a Trump-hating, blue state are completely ignoring it's blue governor to stay the F home. The people in Buffalo, NY, are posting photos of crowded pizza joints, illegally open bars, crowded Walmarts, etc. These aren't Trump people. This is a blue state with blue voters with a blind hatred of our current President. How can you trash Trump for mismanagement when these people are making it impossible to manage?

Granted, Trump says some downright stupid crap and I'm not a fan of his slow response to this crisis. But seriously, how can you lay all the blame on him when the people that hate him aren't even doing what is necessary to stop the spread?

Quote:
And how are those people not following social distancing impacted by Trump downplaying the danger, outright lying about measures, and saying those who were warning of the dangers and failings of this virus and his response were engaged in a 'hoax'?
Again, this goes back to the early going when China was flat out lying about the severity of the virus. Not a pass for Trump, because I don't know why him and his staff were taking any advice from China at face value. But neither the WHO or the CDC were sounding the alarm in the early going.

Quote:
Even your exact example is made worse by Trump, and the Trump-GOP. He does suck. They are being dumb. He does share a lot of the blame. And tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of Americans are going to die, who did not need to die, because of it.
Disagree. The two coastal epicenters also downplayed it. Here is the timeline of the Cuomo/Trump response starting from March 1st. This was a team effort to a botched response. Laying this all on Trump, GOP, and redneck Trumpers is simply not accurate.

Quote:
The reds and blues don't share equal blame, not even close. This false equivalency is in itself harmful.
<snip>
See above. Yes, they do share blame. The hatred for Trump is only feeding a confirmation bias.

Quote:
Follow the evidence. The evidence condemns Trump and his GOP. That the factor you focus on is non-partisan (it actually probably isn't) doesn't change that.
The evidence is that both sides suck. Politics play over public health on ALL sides. Just because you hate Trump, it doesn't rewrite what brought us to this point.

Regardless of any of Trump's failures, PEOPLE ARE NOT LISTENING...TO ANYONE! By this point, everyone is aware of the facts and what is being asked of them and it STILL isn't happening. Where do you want to place blame now?
__________________
--------------------------------------
Stop asking me about that stupid fruity cereal...that's the OTHER rabbit!

Sabretooth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 09:28 AM   #339
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 23,101
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
There are several articles from blue media sources in late January predicting doom and gloom as they felt Trump was going to overreacted to this.
I missed those articles, apparently.

I remember complacency. I don't remember any fear of overreaction. I remember a lot of fear of underreaction, and complaints Trump wasn't doing enough. That was the "hoax" that Trump talked about, and that was all over right wing media.

Maybe if I watched MSNBC or routinely read salon.com, I might have seen this, but I don't remember any of it.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 10:49 AM   #340
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing
 
tyr_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,320
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
I will give Trump just a little bit of rope here, because the early going was a slew of misinformation coming out of China and the WHO. Trump didn't prepare anything because we were all being told there was nothing to prepare for. The SARS scare of 2003-04 turned out to be nothing, so that's what EVERYONE (ie: not just Trump) was expecting.
Big nope, factually incorrect and everything that flows from your belief that Trump 'was being told there was nothing to prepare for' is fatally flawed. US Intelligence agencies and his own cabinet was trying to convince him of how serious the threat was back in early January. Cuomo wasn't being given briefings from US Intelligence on this the entire year. Trump was. I can blame Cuomo for not having enough foresight, but when SO MUCH of that was failure to foresee how HORRIBLE the administration and federal government response would be, I can't even pretend for the sake of harmony that it's not a ridiculous comparison.

Further, lots of people keep claiming that Trump was 'heavily criticized' that what he did do was 'racist over-reaction' yet can never actually cite anyone important arguing that.

Again, it just doesn't matter how stupid the 'very blue' people around you (who re-elected Chris Collins while it was clear he was committing felonies in office) are being. It doesn't lift a bit of blame from Trump's maladministration. Your argument is a literal tu quoque.

And we can blame Trump more because he's the one with the governmental power. I won't blame people for not using power they don't have, but I will blame people for not using a power they do have. I can blame the people not following the protocols that would help combat this AND I can blame Trump for not issuing these protocols nationally, dismantling our institutions and forcing our competent officials, ending the pandemic coordination with China, disbanding the pandemic response council, not renewing the national stockpile with the additional money the GOP gave him, not renewing the maintenance contract on the ventilators in the federal stockpile leaving many of them inoperable, not coordinating the supply chains, not helping companies by relieving their fiduciary responsibilities by using the DSA, sabotaging the ACA to get MILLIONS off of health insurance, I mean how long a list do you want? There's even more! I mean, those fifteen cases were going to go to zero very quickly because that what Trump was being told, even though the expert at that exact same conference said that was not going to be the case.

They all play politics? Try reading the stuff Trump has written and then make that claim with a straight face again. Not even the stuff he says off the cuff; premeditated on White House letter-head writings.

No, 'both sides' don't suck equally. One is orders of magnitude worse than the other. It doesn't matter how much false balance people wish existed, the evidence is clean. This isn't a close call. Call it whatever you want, the facts are the facts. Trump and his enablers deserves more blame than 'the other side'.
__________________
Circled nothing is still nothing.
"Nothing will stop the U.S. from being a world leader, not even a handful of adults who want their kids to take science lessons from a book that mentions unicorns six times." -UNLoVedRebel
Mumpsimus: a stubborn person who insists on making an error in spite of being shown that it is wrong
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 11:11 AM   #341
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 13,160
Trump was asked about the Pandemic Team shortly after it was disbanded - he could have reinstated it.

Trump's cardinal sin of his entire presidency is to not staff the government with competent people or, in many cases, anyone at all.
__________________
Prediction
https://xkcd.com/2370/
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 11:37 AM   #342
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,715
Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
It is a much more peaceful and quiet world around me, thoroughly enjoying this pandemic
This statement should be added to the dictionary definition of "psychopath" as an exemplar.
__________________
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 11:38 AM   #343
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,715
Originally Posted by llwyd View Post
Busy as ever!
The advantage of cyberwarfare: it's work from home.
__________________
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 11:41 AM   #344
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,715
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Over at townhall.com today there's an article about Dan Crenshaw (R- Tex) and his comments about lack of preparedness. He echoes a complaint that I've seen recently a few times, which is that the Strategic National Stockpile was not replenished following the H1N1 epidemic. The Obama administration didn't do what needed to be done, according to the current narrative.

I've seen this often enough, and it struck me as odd, so I decided to look it up, and found this article: https://www.propublica.org/article/u...ed-coronavirus

Summary: The Obama White House budget proposals included money to replenish the stockpiles. The GOP House of Representatives stripped that funding out.
Just like they did funds for embassy security, then Benghazi happened and guess who they blamed?
__________________
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 12:15 PM   #345
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler
 
Horatius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 28,368
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
I will give Trump just a little bit of rope here, because the early going was a slew of misinformation coming out of China and the WHO. Trump didn't prepare anything because we were all being told there was nothing to prepare for. The SARS scare of 2003-04 turned out to be nothing, so that's what EVERYONE (ie: not just Trump) was expecting.
Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Big nope, factually incorrect and everything that flows from your belief that Trump 'was being told there was nothing to prepare for' is fatally flawed. US Intelligence agencies and his own cabinet was trying to convince him of how serious the threat was back in early January.


And just to make this point even clearer, one of the big reasons the US has spent so much money and time on building up a world-wide intelligence service is because we know for a fact that a lot of countries, specifically including China, lie all the time. We simply cannot rely solely on the information they give us. We have people in place who's whole job is to try to see through the BS, and provide the president with the most accurate information they can.

For the president to then ignore that information, in preference to believing what China was telling him, is a complete waste of everything we've ever invested in that intelligence service. It's literally the exact opposite of what should have happened.
__________________
Obviously, that means cats are indeed evil and that ownership or display of a feline is an overt declaration of one's affiliation with dark forces. - Cl1mh4224rd
Horatius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 01:38 PM   #346
Sabretooth
No Ordinary Rabbit
 
Sabretooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wyoming, NY
Posts: 6,753
Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Big nope, factually incorrect and everything that flows from your belief that Trump 'was being told there was nothing to prepare for' is fatally flawed. US Intelligence agencies and his own cabinet was trying to convince him of how serious the threat was back in early January. Cuomo wasn't being given briefings from US Intelligence on this the entire year. Trump was. I can blame Cuomo for not having enough foresight, but when SO MUCH of that was failure to foresee how HORRIBLE the administration and federal government response would be, I can't even pretend for the sake of harmony that it's not a ridiculous comparison.

Further, lots of people keep claiming that Trump was 'heavily criticized' that what he did do was 'racist over-reaction' yet can never actually cite anyone important arguing that.

Again, it just doesn't matter how stupid the 'very blue' people around you (who re-elected Chris Collins while it was clear he was committing felonies in office) are being. It doesn't lift a bit of blame from Trump's maladministration. Your argument is a literal tu quoque.

And we can blame Trump more because he's the one with the governmental power. I won't blame people for not using power they don't have, but I will blame people for not using a power they do have. I can blame the people not following the protocols that would help combat this AND I can blame Trump for not issuing these protocols nationally, dismantling our institutions and forcing our competent officials, ending the pandemic coordination with China, disbanding the pandemic response council, not renewing the national stockpile with the additional money the GOP gave him, not renewing the maintenance contract on the ventilators in the federal stockpile leaving many of them inoperable, not coordinating the supply chains, not helping companies by relieving their fiduciary responsibilities by using the DSA, sabotaging the ACA to get MILLIONS off of health insurance, I mean how long a list do you want? There's even more! I mean, those fifteen cases were going to go to zero very quickly because that what Trump was being told, even though the expert at that exact same conference said that was not going to be the case.

They all play politics? Try reading the stuff Trump has written and then make that claim with a straight face again. Not even the stuff he says off the cuff; premeditated on White House letter-head writings.

No, 'both sides' don't suck equally. One is orders of magnitude worse than the other. It doesn't matter how much false balance people wish existed, the evidence is clean. This isn't a close call. Call it whatever you want, the facts are the facts. Trump and his enablers deserves more blame than 'the other side'.
You're trying to justify the point that people aren't responsible. Trump and his troop DID screw up. That's not what I'm getting at.

RIGHT NOW, people of all types are making this worse. It's not the Trumpers spreading this, it's everyone...and I'd say it's spread is caused by more blue than reds.

You can't have it both ways. Trump screwed up, yes, but people are well aware of the risks now and I see a blatant, arrogant, and ignorant disregard of fellow humans simply to go out and pick up the last roll of toilet paper or last box of poptarts.

The title of this thread implies that the Trumpers have to be saying something stupid. Maybe they are. My first post was pointing out the hypocrisy here. I see, first hand, how people are reacting.

Based on my experiences dealing with the blue and red public is that everyone is stupid even with the facts staring at them in the face.

I am curious on how much different this may have been had Trump, proactively or retroactively, acted in a more responsible manner. Based on the completely irresponsible and stupid population I see daily, I'm not seeing how it could be different.

And it doesn't really matter now, but while I cannot find any articles, I do recall very vividly CNN affiliates on SiriusXM channels ripping into Trump for overreacting early on. They trash him constantly for every breath he takes, so I tend to find it necessary to defend him now and then. The situation here is one of those times.

Permit me to use an analogy:
Trump fumbled the ball, but now the public just keeps kicking it away from him. We'll never find the endzone as long as the public continues to be irresponsible.
__________________
--------------------------------------
Stop asking me about that stupid fruity cereal...that's the OTHER rabbit!

Sabretooth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 02:20 PM   #347
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 23,085
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Also in the right wing buzz there is an awful lot of talk of hydroxycholorquine. Here's a headline today over at townhall.com.

Michigan Governor Cracks Down on Possible Life Saving Drug Amid Coronavirus Pandemic
One dead already, how many more idiot Trumpettes to come?
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 02:23 PM   #348
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 23,101
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post

RIGHT NOW, people of all types are making this worse. It's not the Trumpers spreading this, it's everyone...and I'd say it's spread is caused by more blue than reds.
Accurate stats are hard to come by, but the few polls that I see suggest that the "reds" are more likely to discount the danger and complain about and/or reject social distancing requirements.

On the other hand, I've seen an awful lot of press in the last week about gatherings in Detroit in defiance of the social distancing orders. Detroit is a huge center of coronavirus activity right now, and there aren't a lot of Trump voters there.


To your overall point, though, I believe you are correct. Right now, at this moment, I don't see horrible handling by Trump and company, which means that right now the people who continue to spread it are to blame, and those people are not public officials, or strongly political.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 02:24 PM   #349
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 23,085
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
He claimed the democrats were politicizing the virus through exaggeration while he was stirring up a gaggle of morons by . . . politicizing the crisis while downplaying its severity.

Who is hoaxing here?

ETA: I'd go with pathological liar.
We've known that about Trump for years. Unfortunately his lies appeal to the 3Ds.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 02:29 PM   #350
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 23,085
Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
The ellipses imply you have a point to make.

Do you?
CBS made a mistake, therefore Giant Liberal Media Conspiracy, there Trump and the right-wing nutters are correct.

Childish nonsense but what else would you expect?

__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 02:33 PM   #351
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 23,085
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
So he has permitted all US citizens who were in China and Iran to return to the USA. Bringing with them COVID from China and/or Iran. Bingo, outbreak.

How patriotic is that!
You expect rationality from Trumpettes?

The USAians should have stayed in China, less infection in the airports (thanks to Trump's overcrowding friendly policies) and they'd have gotten better medical care.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 02:35 PM   #352
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 23,085
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
There's also the travel ban from parts of Europe, racist as well?
No, just really, really stupid.

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Not as stupid as stuffing US airports with returnees and creating a perfect
incubator for more Covis018 cases, that was a masterstroke of stupidity.

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Personally, I know that banning travel into the US from highly infected areas of the World was a smart thing to do and it saved lives.
Then why didn't Trump do that?
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 02:37 PM   #353
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 23,085
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
And why were countries like the UK originally exempt?
And Ireland.
I assume it was because Trump, or whichever Trumpette actually composed the order, was grossly ignorant of what "Free Travel" means,
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 02:44 PM   #354
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 31,358
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
Permit me to use an analogy:
Trump fumbled the ball, but now the public just keeps kicking it away from him. We'll never find the endzone as long as the public continues to be irresponsible.
You are wrong, but nice try. Trump fumbled the football and is trying to blame the coach, meanwhile Covid is scoring multiple touchdowns while Trump is trashing the team's coach and tossing grenades at his own team's defense.
__________________
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 02:49 PM   #355
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 23,085
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
March 14th, and the UK was not exempt.
Bollocks. You're either very, very ignorant of reality or just lying.
Trump issues this order on 11MAR (not 14MAR as you inaccurately state)


The full timeline of Trump's travel bans is (FYI):
31JAN China and Hong Kong SAR
29FEB Iran
11MAR Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland
Note that the UK and Ireland are not included. Trump further stated that the UK was going a "good job" with the outbreak.
13MAR Those returning to the USA were funneled to thirteen airports which experienced overcrowding, inability to handle the numbers and day long delays.
16MAR UK and Ireland added to ban list.
19MAR US State Department issues "Do Not Travel" notice.
21MAR US borders with Mexico and Canada closed.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 03:33 PM   #356
Doghouse Reilly
Adrift on an uncharted sea
 
Doghouse Reilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,402
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Yet another example of the Right wing defunding and breaking government programs and then pointing it out proof that government doesn't work.
Sad. Many such cases.
Doghouse Reilly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 04:33 PM   #357
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 16,128
One of Trump's truly stupid remarks today:
Quote:
President Donald Trump sparked confusion Saturday by claiming a study suggested that people with the autoimmune disease lupus were not as affected by coronavirus—presumably because they commonly use the drug hydroxychloroquine—but then immediately backtracked, saying “maybe that's correct, maybe it's false, you’re going to have to check it out,” and his own medical advisor downplayed any connection.
Quote:
Trump seemed to infer that people with lupus were not becoming infected with coronavirus because they were already taking hydroxychloroquine for lupus.
•There appears to be no evidence to back up that claim—in fact, according to The Lupus Foundation of America, people with lupus are more vulnerable to infections like coronavirus.
•At the same press conference, White House health advisor Anthony Fauci said that while the connection between lupus and coronavirus is being looked at, “we don’t have any definitive information to be able to make any comment about that.”
Once again, Trump opens that tiny little mouth when he doesn't know what he's talking about. At the same time, he accuses the media of fake news and spreading rumors.

Why on earth does he think we should "check out" his claim? Why not just keep his mouth shut instead of spewing out crap even he admits he doesn't know is true or not? Oh, wait...stupid question. Self-isolating is getting to me.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 05:27 PM   #358
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Port Townsend, Washington
Posts: 29,407
Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
And Ireland.
I assume it was because Trump, or whichever Trumpette actually composed the order, was grossly ignorant of what "Free Travel" means,
Or knew where he had golf courses.
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 08:38 PM   #359
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator
 
ChrisBFRPKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,299
Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Bollocks. You're either very, very ignorant of reality or just lying.
Trump issues this order on 11MAR (not 14MAR as you inaccurately state)


The full timeline of Trump's travel bans is (FYI):
31JAN China and Hong Kong SAR
29FEB Iran
11MAR Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland
Note that the UK and Ireland are not included. Trump further stated that the UK was going a "good job" with the outbreak.
13MAR Those returning to the USA were funneled to thirteen airports which experienced overcrowding, inability to handle the numbers and day long delays.
16MAR UK and Ireland added to ban list.
19MAR US State Department issues "Do Not Travel" notice.
21MAR US borders with Mexico and Canada closed.
Geeze, try looking for your source here:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/president...coronavirus-2/


It's on page 5 and the date of the order is March 14th as I have said before and I'm now saying again with the direct supporting evidence of my statement linked above at whitehouse.gov, not some pundit website, this is a US Government official website.

Chris B.
__________________
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” August 14, 2017 President Donald John Trump
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 09:33 PM   #360
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 23,101
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Geeze, try looking for your source here:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/president...coronavirus-2/


It's on page 5 and the date of the order is March 14th as I have said before and I'm now saying again with the direct supporting evidence of my statement linked above at whitehouse.gov, not some pundit website, this is a US Government official website.

Chris B.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/president...l-coronavirus/

So what really happened is that on March 11, an order was issued where the UK and Ireland were exempt. On March 14, the order was revised, and the UK and Ireland were no longer exempt.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 4th April 2020 at 09:35 PM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:14 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.