ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Amy Coney Barrett , obituaries , Ruth Bader Ginsburg , Supreme Court issues , Supreme Court justices

Old 18th September 2020, 05:14 PM   #41
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Well, yes. So either they can admit that all of that was merely a cynical argument of convenience, or they can abide by the precedent they set when Scalia croaked.

I'm guessing it will be the former, but there's at least a chance that McConnell will be shamed into following his own rule.
Incumbent versus no incumbent seems like a pretty big difference.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2020, 05:14 PM   #42
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
I'm guessing it will be the former, but there's at least a chance that McConnell will be shamed into following his own rule.
Expecting McConnell to feel shame is like expecting a snake to feel like tapdancing.
Old 18th September 2020, 05:16 PM   #43
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by korenyx View Post
Dear 2020,

DROP DEAD!
It's been the worst year of my life, both personally and politically.

And we thought 2016 was bad .

It's not long for this world, fortunately. Only a couple more months to go. And before it's gone, we're gonna take out the trash. Only downside is it might take Biden&Co years to get the orange smears and smell of hamberder out of the White House.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2020, 05:17 PM   #44
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Shirley you jest. There's not a single Republican who will stand up to Moscow Mitch. Not even Romney this time. It's a straight up and down party vote.
The difference is that some of the Repubs are in tough battles for re-election. I can imagine them not handing ammunition to their opponents.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2020, 05:19 PM   #45
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Surely this close to an election the office should be left for the next president's choice of candidate, right? Isn't that what the Republicans said about a year long vacancy?
Yes, it is-

Quote:
The American people are perfectly capable of having their say on this issue, so let's give them a voice. Let's let the American people decide. The Senate will appropriately revisit the matter when it considers the qualifications of the nominee the next president nominates, whoever that might be.
Later, after Trump's election, he was asked if the same principle would apply if there was a vacancy during Trump's last year before needing to stand for re-election; his answer then was to the effect that the situation would be different, since the Senate and the Presidency would be controlled by the same party, i.e., Republicans. So he went from championing a "principle" which was at least arguably valid to depending on a condition which allows him to ignore the principle. Hypocrite.

One thing from that article which comes under the heading of "I guess we'll see"-

Quote:
The only sticking point is whether McConnell's fellow Republicans, notably Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., would oppose moving forward in an election year.

Graham, whose committee holds Supreme Court confirmation hearings, said last year he would hold off on a confirmation if a vacancy occurred in 2020.

"If an opening comes in the last year of President Trump’s term, and the primary process has started, we’ll wait until the next election," Graham said last year at an event hosted by The Atlantic.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2020, 05:19 PM   #46
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
The difference is that some of the Repubs are in tough battles for re-election. I can imagine them not handing ammunition to their opponents.

It's a SCOTUS Nomination to take them to a 6-3 Majority. They'll throw the entire Senate under the bus to get that.
Old 18th September 2020, 05:19 PM   #47
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
This poor woman had so much pressure to hang on. She could have retired years ago and enjoyed her remaining time. She has done so much for this country, she should be remembered as a hero.

Of course, the Trumpistas are already pissing on her grave.
On the other hand, she could have retired at age 80 in the middle of the Obama administration. Another argument for term limits for federal judges.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2020, 05:20 PM   #48
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Expecting McConnell to feel shame is like expecting a snake to feel like tapdancing.
True.

But maybe his Machiavellian mind will figure that it's best to pretend to feel shame this time.
Old 18th September 2020, 05:21 PM   #49
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
My comments on the situation:

Our only hope is a few GOP Senators with a conscience. I think that is the case, especially with their own reelection looming.

Back up option, we take the Senate and POTUS back and follow through with the threat of expanding the number of seats on the court by ... oh let's say two or four more seats.

McConnell might take option #3): try to use it as campaign leverage.

If McConnell doesn't move for an approval vote, you can bet that means he doesn't have the votes.

If they try to push a SCOTUS nominee through you can bet that will piss off more voters than it will please.
They won't hold the confirmation vote before election day.
Old 18th September 2020, 05:22 PM   #50
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
It's a SCOTUS Nomination to take them to a 6-3 Majority. They'll throw the entire Senate under the bus to get that.
I bet the percent of decisions over time that end up 5-4 will remain similar.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2020, 05:23 PM   #51
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I think people didn't hear me.

We get McConnell/Trump/the Senate to delay the confirmation of a new Justice.

That means we don't have a full, functioning Supreme Court to make legal decisions during the election.

So what happens when Trump declares himself the winner before the absentee ballots are counted? Or throws out a state because their election was "rigged?"

What happens then?

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 18th September 2020 at 05:28 PM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2020, 05:26 PM   #52
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

The Senate won't be necessary once His Majesty's Supreme Court confirms his power to abolish the other branches of government. All they need to do is agree to his declaration of emergency monarchy powers, and that's it. Perhaps he'll keep a few on as a House of Lords, but I doubt it--the titled aristocracy will be limited to the immediate family of His Majesty, at least during his lifetime. (Not Tiffany, of course.) I expect Queen Ivanka will be more open to expanding it, to soothe any hurt feelings leftover from the failed rebellion.
Old 18th September 2020, 05:27 PM   #53
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
How do you know the epic frustration snakes must feel when they hear repeated clicks of steel on hardwood?
Old 18th September 2020, 05:28 PM   #54
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

That means we don't have a full, functioning Supreme Court to make legal decisions during the election.

So what happens when Trump declares himself the winner before the absentee ballots are counted? Or throws at a state because their election was "rigged?"

What happens then?
Then, having milked "your vote gets a new Supreme Court Justice" for all it's worth, they ram through Ted ******* Cruz on Nov 4th, who hands Trump the election on a platter no matter what the votes actually were, that's what happens then.

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
One thing from that article which comes under the heading of "I guess we'll see"-
You realize that's Lindsey Graham saying that, right? You can put his meek objection right next to Susan Collins's deep concern for all the good it'll do you.

Last edited by Beelzebuddy; 18th September 2020 at 05:32 PM.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2020, 05:30 PM   #55
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

So what happens when Trump declares himself the winner before the absentee ballots are counted? Or throws out a state because their election was "rigged?"

What happens then?
I heard you. We're ******.
Old 18th September 2020, 05:33 PM   #56
Davidlpf
Muse

Very funny guys you had the entire world scared silly first Trump as president then Corona, then... Oh you not joking, oh crap.
Davidlpf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2020, 05:34 PM   #57
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
They won't hold the confirmation vote before election day.
Yeah, that concerns me too. They have time to wait until after the election and then push the nomination through in December. Lame duck senators will have nothing to lose, and those who were reelected will figure it won't matter by the next time they are up for election.
Old 18th September 2020, 05:36 PM   #58
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Well, the evangelicals are creaming . . . all over Becki Falwell's back.

Ok, I'm a little ashamed of that one, but only a little.

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2020, 05:38 PM   #59
Davidlpf
Muse

The only good thing is that I live in Canada.
Davidlpf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2020, 05:39 PM   #60
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Packing the court isnt a popular concept. But there's a revolutionary way that Biden could do it, assuming he wins and the Dems take the senate. Appoint everyone to the court. Why not?
Old 18th September 2020, 05:40 PM   #61
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

OK, I feel for her family of course, but...

For myself, I feel almost as devastated as when Trump was surprisingly elected, knowing it's going to be a ******-up ride for the next several years.

I'm going to have to turn off the news because hearing nothing but this and its implications over the next several days would be personally... detrimental, at the least.
Old 18th September 2020, 05:42 PM   #62
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

What happens then?

Nothing prevents the court from considering cases with eight justices, as they did for a year after Scalia died. The vote in an election case would likely be 5-3 for Trump instead of 5-4.
Old 18th September 2020, 05:42 PM   #63
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Packing the court isnt a popular concept. But there's a revolutionary way that Biden could do it, assuming he wins and the Dems take the senate. Appoint everyone to the court. Why not?
There's been on and off talk of expanding the Supreme Court beyond 9 members, but that would be pretty politically transparent.
Old 18th September 2020, 05:43 PM   #64
Nova Land
/
Tagger

The Supreme Court does not need to have 9 members in order to hear cases and make decisions on those cases. Even when there are 9 living members of the court, decisions are sometimes made by a smaller number of justices if one is unable for health reasons to take part in hearing / deciding a case or if one feels a need to recuse themself. There have been many cases over the years where the full court did not take part in hearing and deciding the case.

Quote:

What happens then?

The case would initially be heard in a lower court, which would reach a decision. The case could then be appealed to the Supreme Court if either side were unsatisfied with the decision and wanted the Supreme Court to rule on it.

The Supreme Court would vote to decide whether to hear the case or to let the lower court decision stand. If they voted to hear the case, then the 8 member court would hear it, discuss it, and reach a decision. If a majority voted to overturn the lower court decision and agreed on what the actual ruling should be, that would become the decision on the case. If a majority were not able to agree on that, the lower court ruling would stand.

That's my understanding, at least. I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure what I wrote is basically correct.
Nova Land is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2020, 05:44 PM   #65
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

There's been on and off talk of expanding the Supreme Court beyond 9 members, but that would be pretty politically transparent.
Appointing everyone creates a veneer of fairness.
Old 18th September 2020, 05:45 PM   #66
Elagabalus
Philosopher

What happens then?
Biden will win convincingly and overwhelming or Trump wins again by a narrow margin. That's all I got.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2020, 05:52 PM   #67
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Nova Land View Post
The case would initially be heard in a lower court, which would reach a decision. The case could then be appealed to the Supreme Court if either side were unsatisfied with the decision and wanted the Supreme Court to rule on it.
Not necessarily. As I remember it, the 2000 election went straight from the Florida Supreme Court to the U.S. Supreme Court. Lower federal courts weren't involved. I could imagine results being challenged across the country, and all of those cases landing at the Supreme Court.
Old 18th September 2020, 05:54 PM   #68
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Quote:
"Americans reelected our majority in 2016 and expanded it in 2018 because we pledged to work with President Trump and support his agenda, particularly his outstanding appointments to the federal judiciary. Once again, we will keep our promise," McConnell said.

"President Trump’s nominee will receive a vote on the floor of the United States Senate," McConnell added.
McConnell, just now (on CNN, I'll post a link as soon as I can) We can stop theorizing. They are going to run through a nominee.
Old 18th September 2020, 05:54 PM   #69
Nova Land
/
Tagger

Nothing prevents the court from considering cases with eight justices, as they did for a year after Scalia died.

Ah! I see Bob001 had already posted essentially the same thing I just posted, that the court does not need 9 members in order to hear and decide cases.

One important matter I disagree with Bob on, however:

The vote in an election case would likely be 5-3 for Trump instead of 5-4.

That's possible, but I think a 4-4 tie or a 5-3 vote against Trump is more likely.

John Roberts is a conservative and so is generally likely to side with what people on the right would prefer as the outcome in a lot of cases. But he's also (a) a reasonably honest person as far as supreme court judges go as well as (b) someone who is concerned about his reputation and how people in the future will view him.

I think most honest people, including honest conservatives, would see what Trump was doing as a dishonorable attempt to seize power and would oppose it. And I think most people who were concerned about their reputation would realize that letting Trump get away with such a power grab would be looked at very poorly by future generations. That gives Roberts two strong reasons to render a decision based on principles and law rather than on political preferences, and to argue as strongly as he is able to get other conservatives on the court to join him in doing that.
Nova Land is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2020, 05:55 PM   #70
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Biden will win convincingly and overwhelming or Trump wins again by a narrow margin. That's all I got.
The real issue is that even if Trump loses and the Repubs lose the Senate, they will still control the Senate for two months. Nothing, even fear of electoral consequences, would prevent a lame-duck Senate from confirming somebody.
Old 18th September 2020, 05:57 PM   #71
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Quote:
“In the last midterm election before Justice Scalia’s death in 2016, Americans elected a Republican Senate majority because we pledged to check and balance the last days of a lame-duck president’s second term. We kept our promise,” McConnell continued. “Since the 1880s, no Senate has confirmed an opposite-party president’s Supreme Court nominee in a presidential election year.”

McConnell added that “by contrast, Americans reelected our majority in 2016 and expanded it in 2018 because we pledged to work with President Trump and support his agenda, particularly his outstanding appointments to the federal judiciary.”

“Once again, we will keep our promise,” he said. “President Trump’s nominee will receive a vote on the floor of the United States Senate.”
Foxnews: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mcc...nee-vote-floor
Old 18th September 2020, 06:02 PM   #72
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

McConnell says Trump’s court pick will get Senate vote despite Ginsburg’s dying wish
Old 18th September 2020, 06:05 PM   #73
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Wait let me warm up my shocked face. *Yawns, wiggles my jaw, flexes my eyebrows...* Okay I think I'm ready.... *Overly dramatic sarcastic shocked face.*

Now the Left can waste time screaming "OMG You're such a hypocrite!" at him.
Old 18th September 2020, 06:05 PM   #74
Nova Land
/
Tagger

Originally Posted by Nova Land View Post

Not necessarily. As I remember it, the 2000 election went straight from the Florida Supreme Court to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Actually the Florida Supreme Court is a lower court in the judicial hierarchy to the US Supreme Court, so I believe what I said is correct.

My point was simply that cases work their way up to the Supreme Court and what the Supreme Court is deciding is whether a previous ruling is correct. In the event of a tie on the Supreme Court, whatever the ruling was on the matter before the matter reached the Supreme Court would stand. So a tie in the Supreme Court does not create the kind of impossibly irreconcilable situation JoeMorgue appeared to fear it would.
Old 18th September 2020, 06:05 PM   #75
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Susie's concern will be about her prospects for re-election. She's already behind. She won't give the Dems more ammunition.
And why should she risk her only chance of being reelected at this point? If she votes to confirm another Federalist nominee, she'll lose her seat for certain.

If she pretends she's concerned for the integrity of the court, what's the worst that could happen?

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2020, 06:06 PM   #76
marting
Graduate Poster

The real issue is that even if Trump loses and the Repubs lose the Senate, they will still control the Senate for two months. Nothing, even fear of electoral consequences, would prevent a lame-duck Senate from confirming somebody.
Exactly right. further, I think the election calculus is that the Republican Senate believes their best chance at holding the Senate is to hold off a vote until after the election. Then confirm.
Old 18th September 2020, 06:10 PM   #77
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by marting View Post
Exactly right. further, I think the election calculus is that the Republican Senate believes their best chance at holding the Senate is to hold off a vote until after the election. Then confirm.
Probably, but probably not more than a week after. They'll want to either flaunt their continued power or take revenge on the constituencies that voted out some of their stooges.
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2020, 06:10 PM   #78
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
If there were any integrity in the world, any attempt by Mitch to push this through should cause him to lose in landslide.

Of course, the morons will still vote for him.
I think that is a possibility, or at least one that will cross McConnell's mind. If he goes all in believing Trump will win reelection, he has no reason to push a nominee through.

The only reason to push a nominee through is if he reads the writing on the wall, the Trump ship is sinking fast.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2020, 06:12 PM   #79
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Nominating a replacement for Liberal Saint RBG, while being hypocrites about for refusing to vote on Obama's nominee, will troll the libs.

That's all the motivation to do it they need.
Old 18th September 2020, 06:14 PM   #80
marting
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I think that is a possibility, or at least one that will cross McConnell's mind. If he goes all in believing Trump will win reelection, he has no reason to push a nominee through.

The only reason to push a nominee through is if he reads the writing on the wall, the Trump ship is sinking fast.
If Trump loses he'll have even more reason to push through a vote. No way will he pass up that chance.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics