ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Amy Coney Barrett , obituaries , Ruth Bader Ginsburg , Supreme Court issues , Supreme Court justices

Old 20th September 2020, 02:20 AM   #281
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump has said he will next week nominate a woman to replace the late Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, escalating a political row over her successor.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54216710
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2020, 03:10 AM   #282
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Lindsey Graham tweets

The two biggest changes regarding the Senate and judicial confirmations that have occurred in the last decade have come from Democrats.

Harry Reid changed the rules to allow a simple majority vote for Circuit Court nominees dealing out the minority.

Chuck Schumer and his friends in the liberal media conspired to destroy the life of Brett Kavanaugh and hold that Supreme Court seat open.

In light of these two events, I will support President @realDonaldTrump in any effort to move forward regarding the recent vacancy created by the passing of Justice Ginsburg.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2020, 03:12 AM   #283
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

“I want you to use my words against me. If there’s a Republican president in 2016 and a vacancy occurs in the last year of the first term, you can say Lindsey Graham said let’s let the next president, whoever it might be, make that nomination."
Old 20th September 2020, 03:39 AM   #284
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Here's an article about the Reid changes. There is definitely a certain amount of irony in Graham citing it as a reason to push forwards with a majority.

I don't think any additional context is requires for Kavanaugh.
Old 20th September 2020, 05:23 AM   #285
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump has said he will next week nominate a woman to replace the late Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, escalating a political row over her successor.

Oh goodie. Now he (with Mitch's help) is going to dredge up some terrible harridan throwback who thinks women these days should defer to their husbands and the girls all dress like whores, and we get to have round after round of gotcha-Lib discussions because Conservatives think that Liberals' support of women is just their own misogyny in reverse, and wilfully won't understand (because they ideologically can't understand without being flaming hypocrites) when they're told it doesn't work that way, and Trump, Mitch or Witch will say something new and infuriating every time they need to pull the media focus off the election.

I need to find a nice cave somewhere to hibernate until 2021 once I mail off my ballot. This year blows.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2020, 05:39 AM   #286
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Amy Coney Barrett (currently a Federal Judge on the United States Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit) or Barbara Lagoa (currently a Federal Judge on the United States Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit) are the names that keep coming up.
Old 20th September 2020, 06:32 AM   #287
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
I think people are saying she should have retired back in 2012 or 2013 when the Democrats had the presidency and the Senate.

In those days, who knew it would be Clinton vs Trump? Absolutely nobody. If she had waited until the 2016 election then we know what would have happened. McConnell would have just blocked her successor.
Yep - the people whining that it's her fault are essentially demanding **** she acquire the ability to see and change the future - obvious foolishness.

If you want a list, first is Mitch McConnell, whose naked struggle for power and white supremacy since Obama's election has all but ruined US democracy.

Second is the US electorate - both those that voted for Trump, and those who could have voted in 2016, but didn't, out of asinine idealism or a complete misunderstanding of how the US works. For the latter group, Jimmy Dore and Susan Sarandon are obvious, and famous, examples, but they clearly are not alone in their Underpants Gnome plans to achieve universal healthcare access. Hell, I'll even throw in Marc Lamont Hill - a black guy, just for the sake of argument.

*third* are the more craven US senators, such as Lindsay Graham, who will go along because they don't want to anger their now delusional base.

RBG? Nah, she lasted longer than anyone had a right to ask her to.

As for me, I figured this would be the outcome long ago, and got involved starting the day after DOTUS was elected. I've said before that I don't do marches, but that doesn't mean I don't work phones, educate younger people, and so on. My personal suggestion?

First, white people are going to have to suffer, and realize that it's their own chosen leaders causing their suffering. Sorry, but White VotersTM, as a brand name, are really ruining their own health and finances by voting for the GOP, and have been for...what, 70-75 years now? Since 1980 at the very latest, in any case. Y'all really need to talk to your people.

Styep 2? Vote for dems, when you can, in almost all cases. I mean, if the dem in your local race is clearly unfit (and I don't mean "He fumbled a sentence OMG he's in late-stage dementia!!!", but if he's a child rapist, an obvious and malicious bigot or some other such dangerous attribute), that's a special case.

Third? Get more involved. The current GOP is hellbent on making sure nonwhite people (and by extension, younger adults) can't vote, so you're going to have to take up the slack on this one.

Last edited by Mumbles; 20th September 2020 at 06:47 AM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2020, 06:43 AM   #288
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

I gave no choice!
Quote Tweet

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
@GOP We were put in this position of power and importance to make decisions for the people who so proudly elected us, the most important of which has long been considered to be the selection of United States Supreme Court Justices. We have this obligation, without delay!
Old 20th September 2020, 07:32 AM   #289
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Each and every appointment is critical. The republicans get this. They've played long game. Just look at the ages of the appointees. Unlike Bill Clinton.

That's all it takes to Gileadize the country. One strategic blunder.
Old 20th September 2020, 07:46 AM   #290
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Trump and his republicans will push through a SCOTUS justice before the election. This will ensure a Trump "re-election" as they will have the SCOTUS declare Trump the winner because they know that this election will go to litigation, and will make sure it goes to litigation.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2020, 07:51 AM   #291
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
David Souter retired in 2009, ensuring that Obama would pick his replacement. He was replaced by Sonia Sotomayor.
John Paul Stevens, another liberal justice, retired in 2010. He was replaced by Elena Kagan.

Ruth could have retired at the time and ensured that her replacement would be a liberal, but she chose not to. She chose to roll the dice and she lost, thus leaving the choice of her replacement to Donald J. Trump and a Senate controlled by Republicans.

If Roe is overturned, it will be her fault for not retiring when she had a chance.
Oh brother.

Of all the people to blame...

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2020, 08:00 AM   #292
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Trump and his republicans will push through a SCOTUS justice before the election. This will ensure a Trump "re-election" as they will have the SCOTUS declare Trump the winner because they know that this election will go to litigation, and will make sure it goes to litigation.
This is nonsense. Trump can't appeal to the SCOTUS to change the election outcome unless it comes down to some controversy in one or two states. And it won't.

He can't challenge the outcome in a dozen states. It doesn't work that way.

This reminds me of the Nixon controversy. Before he was impeached there were many many people who were sure he would declare Martial Law to stay in office. It never happened. And Trump can't do that either.

I remind you as far as military support, Trump might have a few police departments and the border patrol. The Department of Homeland Security relies on contracted militia so add whatever army remains of the Eric Prince Blackwater legacy. Beyond that Trump burned bridge after bridge with hiring and firing Generals. Remember, he's all bluster and it's been fake since since long before he became POTUS. This is the idiot who pretended to be someone else so he could call the tabloids and brag about his sexual exploits. He claims he's a billionaire when in all likelihood his debt exceeds his assets. No banks would loan him money, that suggests he has a negative bottom line.

We just need to be sure Biden wins by well over 270 EC votes and that it doesn't come down to a one state decision.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 20th September 2020 at 08:13 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2020, 08:07 AM   #293
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
This is nonsense.
I am not comforted by this declaration. This is not a normal president or senate, they will do anything to stay in power and have.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2020, 08:20 AM   #294
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'm pretty sure Trump has a Democrat screaming "But you can't do that!" at him set as his alarm to wake up in the morning.
Old 20th September 2020, 09:37 AM   #295
sackett
Philosopher

Ruth had a good run, longer and on a higher path than any of us will ever achieve.

But we can follow her example, and never give up.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2020, 10:08 AM   #296
Cain
Straussian

Earlier I argued that Trump has an incentive to delay the confirmation until after the election. While I still think that's true, another approach, which seems to be the one Republicans are taking, is that the nomination gets through, and "values voters" STILL have a strong incentive to support Trump because Democrats will "pack the courts." That's definitely the angle the pro-life lobby should take because one in the hand is better than two in the bush.
Old 20th September 2020, 10:14 AM   #297
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Amy Coney Barrett (currently a Federal Judge on the United States Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit) or Barbara Lagoa (currently a Federal Judge on the United States Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit) are the names that keep coming up.
Trump picked Kavanaugh over her and Raymond Kethledge in 2018, so when he says a woman I think it's going to be her.

But Lagoa might be a political useful choice for Trump if he wants to throw any undecided Florida Cubans a bone.

It's interesting. Knowing Trump he just might do that.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2020, 10:18 AM   #298
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Earlier I argued that Trump has an incentive to delay the confirmation until after the election. While I still think that's true, another approach, which seems to be the one Republicans are taking, is that the nomination gets through, and "values voters" STILL have a strong incentive to support Trump because Democrats will "pack the courts." That's definitely the angle the pro-life lobby should take because one in the hand is better than two in the bush.
The current tactic seems to be to tease the nomination of members of groups who's vote Trump needs in November, such as the Florida Cubans (Barbara Lagoa).

edit: ninja'd by Venom
Old 20th September 2020, 10:21 AM   #299
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Cervelo View Post
Quote:
Let us have a country that continues to be somewhat recognizable / consistent with the founders and their intentions / worldview - and the leftists can go forward with their completely unrecognizable country that would absolutely horrify all Americans, especially the founders, from 1776 - 1995 or so.
That would be a wonderful thing, but after the leftist ran out of money they would just be the next wave of illegal immigrant's.
Man, you guys really wank to totalitarian rightwing theocratic state. As if it would be good place to live for anyone not being in 1%. That you think such third-world backward ****hole will fare better than modern 1st world country just shows how delusional you are.

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Ruth could have retired at the time and ensured that her replacement would be a liberal, but she chose not to. She chose to roll the dice and she lost, thus leaving the choice of her replacement to Donald J. Trump and a Senate controlled by Republicans.
If Roe is overturned, it will be her fault for not retiring when she had a chance.
Hindsight is 20/20. What you say now is worthless in this context.
Old 20th September 2020, 10:54 AM   #300
Venom
Illuminator

I request a thread split for general Supreme Court matters.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2020, 11:14 AM   #301
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Lindsey Graham tweets

The two biggest changes regarding the Senate and judicial confirmations that have occurred in the last decade have come from Democrats.

Harry Reid changed the rules to allow a simple majority vote for Circuit Court nominees dealing out the minority.

Chuck Schumer and his friends in the liberal media conspired to destroy the life of Brett Kavanaugh and hold that Supreme Court seat open.

In light of these two events, I will support President @realDonaldTrump in any effort to move forward regarding the recent vacancy created by the passing of Justice Ginsburg.
Trump's going to nominate Lindsey Graham!
Old 20th September 2020, 11:17 AM   #302
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Yes, it will be. However, as almost everyone else in the country, she likely expected Clinton to win. The polls were in her favor and she wasn't ready to give up a career she loved yet. Sadly, for her (and the country) it turned out the polls were wrong. I wouldn't judge her too harshly for that.
If Clinton had won, we'd be down to six justices now because Mitch would have just continued to refuse to hold hearings.

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
She ****** up. Obama's people urged her to retire, but she said "no!"

She's had a string of illnesses and knew(?) about the cancer's reoccurrence back in February. If she had stepped down then, it would have given Trump plenty of time to replace her. It's just bad faith all around.

Anyway, if the Republicans fail to seat someone, and Trump loses the election, it's entirely possible Thomas could soon croak. Biden could then replace Ginsburg, Thomas, and probably Breyer as well.
See above.
Old 20th September 2020, 11:33 AM   #303
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
If Clinton had won, we'd be down to six justices now because Mitch would have just continued to refuse to hold hearings.
I'm a natural cynic (which means a frustrated romantic), but I think your view is much less plausible than a wildly optimistic scenario where Biden gets three picks. Much, much, much less plausible.
Old 20th September 2020, 11:35 AM   #304
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
But Lagoa might be a political useful choice for Trump if he wants to throw any undecided Florida Cubans a bone.

It's interesting. Knowing Trump he just might do that.
She's older and less attractive, but, yes, Trump could definitely do it. He's already pushing 13 billion dollars to rebuild Puerto Rico's power-grid just so he can win Florida.
Old 20th September 2020, 11:36 AM   #305
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

How did your SC become so incredibly politicised and partisan?
Old 20th September 2020, 11:37 AM   #306
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Republicans, that's how. They abandoned all semblance of bi-partisanship ever since Nixon was impeached.
Old 20th September 2020, 11:40 AM   #307
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Religion and legality of abortion is at the core.
Old 20th September 2020, 11:45 AM   #308
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Biden just gave an excellent speech on why filling RGB's seat should wait until after the election and be decided by whoever wins. What a difference between him and Trump. Like day and night. Hell, sane and insane.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2020, 11:46 AM   #309
Cain
Straussian

American politics has rarely been ideologically coherent -- the political parties remain the same, but their ideologies have flipped. After full realignment, and the "Republican Revolution" of '94, battle lines were drawn. Our institutions are not well suited for partisan politics.
Old 20th September 2020, 11:49 AM   #310
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Biden just gave an excellent speech on why filling RGB's seat should wait until after the election and be decided by whoever wins. What a difference between him and Trump. Like day and night. Hell, sane and insane.
What are the key reasons?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2020, 11:52 AM   #311
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
What are the key reasons?
Try watching the speech.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2020, 11:59 AM   #312
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Try watching the speech.
It takes some time for transcripts.

You claimed it was excellent, defend it.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2020, 12:02 PM   #313
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Ruth had a good run, longer and on a higher path than any of us will ever achieve.

But we can follow her example, and never give up.
Never give up until our stubbornness turns from an asset into a liability.

It's what Ruth Bader Ginsburg would do.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2020, 12:14 PM   #314
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I don't have to do a damn thing. It will be available soon. Make your own decision.
Old 20th September 2020, 12:17 PM   #315
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I don't have to do a damn thing. It will be available soon. Make your own decision.
No, you do not have to meet the burden of proof you incurred with your claim. No one can stop you from not satisfying that burden.
Old 20th September 2020, 12:22 PM   #316
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

No, you do not have to meet the burden of proof you incurred with your claim. No one can stop you from not satisfying that burden.
No, I've just learned what bobbing is. buh bye
Old 20th September 2020, 12:23 PM   #317
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

No, I've just learned what bobbing is. buh bye
I agreed with you that you didn't have to
Old 20th September 2020, 12:24 PM   #318
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I request a thread split for general Supreme Court matters.
RBG is only relevant in the context of Supreme Court matters.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2020, 12:44 PM   #319
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Let me help you with that.
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...awn-if-he-wins
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2020, 12:45 PM   #320
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

I did note a tiny glitch when he referred to "200 million" covid deaths, but he later corrected himself. You can be sure the Repubs will highlight the glitch, and not the correction.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics