ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , chris wallace , debates , donald trump , joe biden , presidential debates

Old 14th October 2020, 09:18 AM   #801
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I'm surprised that he agreed to one on NBC. He hates MSNBC (except for the fact that they talk about him a lot) and I can't see him not conflating the two networks.
Old 14th October 2020, 09:28 AM   #802
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I'm surprised that he agreed to one on NBC. He hates MSNBC (except for the fact that they talk about him a lot) and I can't see him not conflating the two networks.
Good point. Was he rebuffed even by Fox?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2020, 10:48 AM   #803
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Is this the first town hall that The PDJT has done? It seems like it may be the first time he has to face a diverse audience asking questions rather than one filled with his supporters. I think this could be interesting. Looking forward to seeing him bristle. Nobody bristles like Trump.
He did one in September, it didn't go that well.

Maybe Biden would rather lose the rating race.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/16/polit...all/index.html

Last edited by Firestone; 14th October 2020 at 10:55 AM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2020, 03:54 PM   #804
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I don't see Trump's event on my online TV listings yet. I see Biden's. Of course, his was planned ahead of time, not out of the blue (and out of spite).
Old 14th October 2020, 04:07 PM   #805
slyjoe
Master Poster

I don't see Trump's event on my online TV listings yet. I see Biden's. Of course, his was planned ahead of time, not out of the blue (and out of spite).
Biden's town hall is at 8 PM ET. My understanding is that NBC's is right on top of that, with #BoycottNBC trending.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2020, 04:17 PM   #806
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Trump's refusal to STFU during the first debate makes sense - he was doing his best to infect Biden.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2020, 05:59 PM   #807
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Looking forward to seeing the train wreck. I wonder how many times people will have to interrupt with "Mr. President, I'm still speaking." It won't be the moderator that has to do it this time.
Old 14th October 2020, 06:16 PM   #808
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Looking forward to seeing the train wreck. I wonder how many times people will have to interrupt with "Mr. President, I'm still speaking." It won't be the moderator that has to do it this time.
I think more people will watch Trump's town hall than Biden's not because he's more popular, but because they want to see what the hell whacko crap he pulls. I know I'd rather watch his than Biden's. I know I'm voting for Biden. I'm more interested in watching what kind of crazy Trump pulls.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2020, 07:26 PM   #809
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I think more people will watch Trump's town hall than Biden's not because he's more popular, but because they want to see what the hell whacko crap he pulls. I know I'd rather watch his than Biden's. I know I'm voting for Biden. I'm more interested in watching what kind of crazy Trump pulls.
Precisely. It's a genius ratings move by NBC, but one that is being largely vilified by many real journalists. I think it's a pretty dick move myself, scheduling them at the same time. I have to believe it wasn't solely NBC's desire to do that.
Old 14th October 2020, 07:50 PM   #810
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

It seems obvious that the only way Trump was going to do it was if it was at the same time as Biden's, so he can crow about better ratings. Regardless of actual ratings, of course.
He probably also figures it will stop people seeing Biden. Since he's never learned how to program the VCR, he'll figure no one else can either.
I'll not bother watching either.
Old 14th October 2020, 10:55 PM   #811
dirtywick
Master Poster

That's a risky move though. If he does get better ratings, he'll point it out to the collective shrug of the voters he needs to pull in to win. If he gets worse ratings, it's going to bother him more than anyone else in the world.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2020, 11:05 PM   #812
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Do you think he believes it's even possible to get lower rating than Biden?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2020, 11:12 PM   #813
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

What to watch for is the differences in Covid-precautions the two Townhalls take.
Trump will insist that his hall looks more packed, so we can expect an easy case for Biden that Trump doesn't care if anyone else gets sick, now that he has his antibodies, natural and artifical.
Old 15th October 2020, 07:33 AM   #814
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

We've been watching the debates with the kiddos. I explained the problem of the dueling townhalls tonight and asked the kids which one they were interested in.

My 9 year old daughter put it well. She wants to see Biden's townhall because he'll actually be able to say things without the constant interruption, but she also wants to see Trump's so she'll understand all the memes the next day.
Old 15th October 2020, 12:57 PM   #815
dmaker
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
We've been watching the debates with the kiddos. I explained the problem of the dueling townhalls tonight and asked the kids which one they were interested in.

My 9 year old daughter put it well. She wants to see Biden's townhall because he'll actually be able to say things without the constant interruption, but she also wants to see Trump's so she'll understand all the memes the next day.
That's an awesome answer!

I feel split as well. As a Canadian, I will probably watch the Trump town hall for the pure spectacle. It makes me smile when he makes a fool of himself.

While I wish for the US to have a better President, I don't really need to know the details of Biden's plans. A cigarette butt fished out of a dirty urinal could do a better job than Trump.

I just want to watch Trump squirm.

Last edited by dmaker; 15th October 2020 at 12:59 PM.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 01:27 PM   #816
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

I will be doing a major Fake @NBCNews Town Hall Forum, live tonight from Miami, at 8:00 P.M. They asked me to do it in place of the Rigged Steve Scully (he is now suspended from @cspan for lying) Debate. I wonder if they’ll treat me as well as Sleepy Joe? They should!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 01:48 PM   #817
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

I will be doing a major Fake @NBCNews Town Hall Forum, live tonight from Miami, at 8:00 P.M. They asked me to do it in place of the Rigged Steve Scully (he is now suspended from @cspan for lying) Debate. I wonder if they’ll treat me as well as Sleepy Joe? They should!
For pete's sake, he still calls it "Fake @NBCNews" and they eat it up. NBC should cancel now, and say, "Clearly, the President does not take it seriously, and we are unwilling to give him a forum until he shows the media some respect."
Old 15th October 2020, 01:57 PM   #818
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
For pete's sake, he still calls it "Fake @NBCNews" and they eat it up. NBC should cancel now, and say, "Clearly, the President does not take it seriously, and we are unwilling to give him a forum until he shows the media some respect."
Where's the problem? He says he's doing a fake townhall tonight.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 02:31 PM   #819
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I've decided I'm not watching tonight. I'll catch the highlights on youtube later.

And since the "highlights" will almost certainly be gaffes, I do hope I'll be watching a lot of Trump this evening.
Old 15th October 2020, 04:59 PM   #820
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

GUTHRIE: When was your last negative coronavirus test?

TRUMP: "Well, I test quite a bit."

GUTHRIE: Did you test the day of the debate?

TRUMP: "I don't know. I don't even remember."

G: Did you take a test the day of the debate?

T: "I probably did."
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 05:44 PM   #821
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Asked to denounce QAnon, Trump refuses to do so and instead says, "They are very much against pedophilia, they fight it very hard."

"That's a statutory number" -- Trump's weird explanation for only paying $750 in federal taxes in 2016

Trump on his meeting with Amy Coney Barrett and if he expects her to rule for him if SCOTUS hears a challenge to the election results: "I didn't talk about any of the obvious things that you could talk about, and I think a lot of people in my position might."

TRUMP: "We were expected to lose 2,200,000 people."
GUTHRIE: "That 2 million figure, though, is if you literally did nothing."

"Excess mortality, we're a winner" -- Trump says the US is "a winner"

Asked why he doesn't try to at least set an example by wearing a mask, Trump says, "but many people are catching it."

TRUMP: "Just the other day they came out with a statement that 85 percent of the people that wear masks catch [coronavirus]."
GUTHRIE: "They didn't say that. I know that study."
TRUMP: "That's what I heard and that's what I saw."

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 15th October 2020 at 05:45 PM.
Old 15th October 2020, 05:49 PM   #822
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

There's a Black woman in the audience behind Trump who's going to strain her damn neck with all the nodding she's doing to every word he utters. I hope the Trump campaign paid her well enough.

Also, on the Youtube streams Biden's town hall had 2-3x the viewers.

Last edited by Beelzebuddy; 15th October 2020 at 05:53 PM.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 06:04 PM   #823
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Well, that wasn't the Trump train wreck I thought (hoped) it would be. I think the moderator should have stayed on or called out some answers a little better.

"Well, QAnon is OK because they're against pedophilia." Yeah, she should have noted that most people are...
Old 15th October 2020, 06:19 PM   #824
Scopedog
Muse

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
There's a Black woman in the audience behind Trump who's going to strain her damn neck with all the nodding she's doing to every word he utters. I hope the Trump campaign paid her well enough.

Also, on the Youtube streams Biden's town hall had 2-3x the viewers.
What are you basing the YouTube viewer proportion on? In the attached screenshot I see 431k (4 official streams) to 309k (1 official stream).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1602811175898m.jpg (52.8 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Scopedog; 15th October 2020 at 06:26 PM.
Scopedog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 06:37 PM   #825
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Guess it was just the NBC one. Figures they'd have to spam it.

Incidentally Biden's stream is still going. The town hall is over but he's sticking around to follow up with the audience's questions.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 06:39 PM   #826
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Guess it was just the NBC one. Figures they'd have to spam it.

Incidentally Biden's stream is still going. The town hall is over but he's sticking around to follow up with the audience's questions.
Biden's town hall was scheduled to run two hours. Trump's was only an hour.
Old 15th October 2020, 06:42 PM   #827
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
[ETA] Wait I can't read a clock, you're right.
Old 15th October 2020, 08:13 PM   #828
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Obviously Biden's cheating and should be locked up for it!
Old 15th October 2020, 08:46 PM   #829
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Asked to denounce QAnon, Trump refuses to do so and instead says, "They are very much against pedophilia, they fight it very hard."

"That's a statutory number" -- Trump's weird explanation for only paying $750 in federal taxes in 2016

Trump on his meeting with Amy Coney Barrett and if he expects her to rule for him if SCOTUS hears a challenge to the election results: "I didn't talk about any of the obvious things that you could talk about, and I think a lot of people in my position might."

TRUMP: "We were expected to lose 2,200,000 people."
GUTHRIE: "That 2 million figure, though, is if you literally did nothing."

"Excess mortality, we're a winner" -- Trump says the US is "a winner"

Asked why he doesn't try to at least set an example by wearing a mask, Trump says, "but many people are catching it."

TRUMP: "Just the other day they came out with a statement that 85 percent of the people that wear masks catch [coronavirus]."
GUTHRIE: "They didn't say that. I know that study."
TRUMP: "That's what I heard and that's what I saw."
Old 15th October 2020, 09:46 PM   #830
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Well, that wasn't the Trump train wreck I thought (hoped) it would be. I think the moderator should have stayed on or called out some answers a little better.

"Well, QAnon is OK because they're against pedophilia." Yeah, she should have noted that most people are...
I've started to watch his town hall and I have to say he's being pretty ******* belligerent.
Old 15th October 2020, 11:19 PM   #831
Firestone

It was "undecided voter" Mayra Joli.

"Mayra Joli, an immigration attorney and pro-Trump activist who once declared herself Miami’s “master of selfies” during her 2018 campaign, was seated behind the president during his hour-long town hall. After the event, she greeted the president, according to a video posted to her Facebook page."

"A spokesperson for NBC did not respond to a request for comment on whether or not the network determined who could attend the event. The town hall event was billed as a conversation with undecided voters, though many of the questioners introduced by moderator Savannah Guthrie were already leaning toward voting for Trump or Democratic nominee Joe Biden. Joli did not ask a question during the event."

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/pol...246492520.html
Old 16th October 2020, 02:29 PM   #832
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

The Biden Town Hall on ABC drew 2.3 million more viewers than the Trump town hall on NBC. according to Variety.
Old 16th October 2020, 03:45 PM   #833
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
I wonder what the rating were, hour by hour? Trump's T/H ran an hour, Biden's T/H ran two. I could see a fair number of viewers switching to Biden's when Trump was over, boosting Biden's ratings overall. Or is that accounted for already?
It's pure speculation on my part, of course.
Old 17th October 2020, 02:33 AM   #834
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

The Biden Town Hall on ABC drew 2.3 million more viewers than the Trump town hall on NBC. according to Variety.
It's worse than that. Trump's aired on 3 channels, and if you add all three up he still falls 0.9m short of Biden.
Old 17th October 2020, 03:12 AM   #835
Firestone

I wonder what the rating were, hour by hour? Trump's T/H ran an hour, Biden's T/H ran two. I could see a fair number of viewers switching to Biden's when Trump was over, boosting Biden's ratings overall. Or is that accounted for already?
It's pure speculation on my part, of course.
Good point. But apparently Biden also had more viewers during the hour that both town halls ran.

Quote:
Nielsen data showed that Biden’s event on ABC, running from 8 to 10 p.m EDT, averaged 13.9 million viewers. Trump, whose event aired from 8 to 9 p.m. Eastern, attracted an average of 13.06 million viewers across the NBC broadcast network and cable channels MSNBC and CNBC. In the hour where the two candidates were head to head, Biden led Trump as well with 14.1 million viewers.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/enter...5ze-story.html
Old 18th October 2020, 10:46 AM   #836
Firestone

Everything under control for the last debate:

“The president is not likely to hold formal debate preparation sessions, in no small part because half of the people in his previous sessions, including Mr. Trump, contracted the coronavirus.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/18/u...-campaign.html
Old 19th October 2020, 01:10 AM   #837
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Everything under control for the last debate:

“The president is not likely to hold formal debate preparation sessions, in no small part because half of the people in his previous sessions, including Mr. Trump, contracted the coronavirus.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/18/u...-campaign.html
I think formal debate preparation would be a complete waste of time. President Trump would be unlikely to pay very much attention if it lasted more than a couple of minutes - unless he was really enjoying it - and in any case, it would all go out of the window the second battle was joined.

If I was in the unenviable position of being his chief of staff I'd spend the time leading up to the debate making sure that President Trump was as happy as I could possibly manage. A happy President is less likely to go off the deep end than an unhappy President who feels threatened.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 01:17 AM   #838
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
If I was in the unenviable position of being his chief of staff I'd spend the time leading up to the debate making sure that President Trump was as happy as I could possibly manage.
He'd be receptive to that, as long as you looked like his daughter.
Old 19th October 2020, 01:40 AM   #839
Firestone

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I think formal debate preparation would be a complete waste of time. President Trump would be unlikely to pay very much attention if it lasted more than a couple of minutes - unless he was really enjoying it - and in any case, it would all go out of the window the second battle was joined.

If I was in the unenviable position of being his chief of staff I'd spend the time leading up to the debate making sure that President Trump was as happy as I could possibly manage. A happy President is less likely to go off the deep end than an unhappy President who feels threatened.
Trump's dilemma: his base hopes he'll go full Q, but that will lose him even more "suburban housewives".

Biden: as things stand, he'd rather have the debate be as uneventful as possible. Unless he manages a really big gaffe (not a gaffe by the FOX "standards"), he's good.

What I think the Biden campaign could do is prepare a "Machado" moment.

In her first debate, Hillary Clinton brought up Alicia Machado near the end:
Quote:
CLINTON: And one of the worst things he said was about a woman in a beauty contest. He loves beauty contests, supporting them and hanging around them. And he called this woman “Miss Piggy.” Then he called her “Miss Housekeeping,” because she was Latina. Donald, she has a name.

TRUMP: Where did you find this? Where did you find this?

CLINTON: Her name is Alicia Machado.

TRUMP: Where did you find this?

CLINTON: And she has become a U.S. citizen, and you can bet…

TRUMP: Oh, really?

CLINTON: … she’s going to vote this November.
This took Trump by surprise, and he (obviously) went on to tweet unhinged stuff about Machado for days.

This debate is much closer to the end of the election, so having Trump go even more crazy for a few days would be a great ending for this race.
Old 19th October 2020, 02:01 AM   #840
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Trump's dilemma: his base hopes he'll go full Q, but that will lose him even more "suburban housewives".
I honestly don't think he puts that much thought into it. IMO he will do whatever feels right on the day which at the moment appears to be claiming that Joe Biden and his entire family are crooks and should be locked up, that Joe Biden is going to raise taxes and that President Trump has a great healthcare plan.

Biden: as things stand, he'd rather have the debate be as uneventful as possible. Unless he manages a really big gaffe (not a gaffe by the FOX "standards"), he's good.
I agree, and one such gaffe would be to do anything with respect to the claims relating to the laptop/hard drive than simply laugh them off.

What I think the Biden campaign could do is prepare a "Machado" moment.

In her first debate, Hillary Clinton brought up Alicia Machado near the end:
This took Trump by surprise, and he (obviously) went on to tweet unhinged stuff about Machado for days.

This debate is much closer to the end of the election, so having Trump go even more crazy for a few days would be a great ending for this race.
Personally I think they should do nothing - just let Trump be Trump and let people see what the alternative is.

Heck, they could even consider letting President Trump behave like a toddler and shout over Joe Biden given how badly that went over last time.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics