ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , chris wallace , debates , donald trump , joe biden , presidential debates

Old 30th September 2020, 07:01 AM   #321
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

The funny and oddly fitting thing is that when he hunches over just right, he actually looks a lot like the Twitter bird.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2020, 07:02 AM   #322
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
He's a fat guy who thinks wearing clothes 2 sizes too big hides his fatness. What he doesn't realize it really looks like he's wearing a business mumu. That and it looks like he's wearing his big brother's hand me downs.
That, and Trump still lives in the 80's. It's all power ties, oversized suits, and painful handshakes. All the dumb "alpha businessman" crap that was in vogue then.
Old 30th September 2020, 07:04 AM   #323
grunion
Philosopher

I wonder if "Will you shut up, man?" has entered the U.S. electoral debate zinger lists alongside "I knew Jack Kennedy. You're no Jack Kennedy."
“Of all the offspring of Time, Error is the most ancient, and is so old and familiar an acquaintance, that Truth, when discovered, comes upon most of us like an intruder, and meets the intruder's welcome.”
― Charles Mackay, 1841 - Extraordinary Popular Delusions And The Madness Of Crowds
grunion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2020, 07:04 AM   #324
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Well you see its okay because this first debate was the formalized, take turns, question, answer, response one. The next one is more free form Town Hall style without all the rigid-over-moderation that ruined this one... ha ha ha.... ha ha... *laughter turns into crying*
Old 30th September 2020, 07:07 AM   #325
Donal
Illuminator

I'm not condoning anyone do this, but I often wonder what would happen if the person he was insulting just slapped him in the face. Other than the secret Service gang tackling that person. Just reared up and slapped the taste out of his mouth. How would he react? How would his cult react?

Would they try to go running to his defense? Or would they accept that person as their new Alpha?
Old 30th September 2020, 07:08 AM   #326
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Now I just want to see if Pence brings his motherwife with him to debate Harris.
Old 30th September 2020, 07:09 AM   #327
Donal
Illuminator

She has to stand on stage next to him
Old 30th September 2020, 07:10 AM   #328
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

I feel obligated to pop in here and remind everyone that Trump’s response when asked to denounce white supremacy was “Proud Boys, stand back and stand by.”

That is all.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2020, 07:14 AM   #329
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
I feel obligated to pop in here and remind everyone that Trump’s response when asked to denounce white supremacy was “Proud Boys, stand back and stand by.”

That is all.
Yes, that will (hopefully) be the moment of this debate.

"Possibly over-looked thing about Trump's "stand back and stand by" moment is that Biden led him there - Trump demanded Wallace give him a group to condemn, Biden said "Proud Boys," and Trump whiffed it.

Months and months of "Biden has dementia!" expectation-setting and then he successfully baited Trump into a gaffe."

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/statu...85593213677569
Old 30th September 2020, 07:15 AM   #330
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
That's always been the Democrat Versus Republican story. One side playing 3 dimensional chess where they thinking 10 moves against against a side playing "I'm gonna flip the board over" and the Democrat response being "Okay so I need think 11 moves ahead?"

Trump isn't playing chess. He's playing "This game is stupid, I want to ruin it so nobody can play it."
The Dems are playing 3D chess while Trump is playing classic Checkers with the single minded motivation of just getting to the far side of the board and shouting, "King me!"
Old 30th September 2020, 07:15 AM   #331
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Well you see its okay because this first debate was the formalized, take turns, question, answer, response one. The next one is more free form Town Hall style without all the rigid-over-moderation that ruined this one... ha ha ha.... ha ha... *laughter turns into crying*
New moderator each debate, at least. Let's hope the next one is better prepared. Maybe if he brings some food she can throw to Trump to keep him occupied while Biden speaks.

The third presidential debate will be moderated by a woman, and we all know Trump doesn't like to be chastised by them. Maybe if she brings a taser.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2020, 07:16 AM   #332
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Mark Hamill on Twitter:

Quote:
That debate was the worst thing I've ever seen & I was in The Star Wars Holiday Special.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2020, 07:18 AM   #333
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Wallace : Tell you what, Sir, let's just practice a bit, hmm? When I say "Is racism bad?", you'll say "Yes."

Trump : Check!

Wallace: Is racism bad?

[Trump stares blankly]

Wallace : Remember now, racism is bad.

Trump : I gotcha.

Wallace: "Is racism bad?"

[again Trump stares blankly]

[hours pass by]

Wallace: [frustrated] Argh... Now when I say "Racism is bad" and press down on your foot, you smile and nod.

Trump : No problem.

Wallace: [stepping hard on Trump's foot] Racism is bad.

Trump : [stares blankly again for a few seconds, then whispers to Biden] I think he's talking to you.
Old 30th September 2020, 07:19 AM   #334
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
The third presidential debate will be moderated by a woman, and we all know Trump doesn't like to be chastised by them. Maybe if she brings a taser.
The third debate should be moderated by Stephanie McMahon and everytime Trump interrupts Stone Cold should come out and hit him with the Stunner.
Old 30th September 2020, 07:32 AM   #335
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
The idea that having a voice in your ear would make Biden a more polished speaker is absurd on its face. I can't think of anything more distracting and disjointing than having someone else's voice in your head while trying to speak.
It's also more of the classic right-wing projection. "Our guy can't string a coherent sentence together, so the fact that the other guy is actually speaking like a human being must mean that he's cheating".
Old 30th September 2020, 07:33 AM   #336
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

New moderator each debate, at least. Let's hope the next one is better prepared. Maybe if he brings some food she can throw to Trump to keep him occupied while Biden speaks.

Cut his mike when it isn't his turn to speak.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2020, 07:34 AM   #337
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Now I just want to see if Pence brings his motherwife with him to debate Harris.
Honestly, that's the one I'm looking forwards to.
Old 30th September 2020, 07:37 AM   #338
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

The third debate should be moderated by Stephanie McMahon and everytime Trump interrupts Stone Cold should come out and hit him with the Stunner.
The McMahons are all in with Trump. He and Vince are friends, and Linda has worked for Trump on in Trump's aid for years. I'd be very surprised if Stephanie weren't on board as well.
Old 30th September 2020, 07:38 AM   #339
Matthew Best
Philosopher

I had to go to bed after the first 20 minutes, so I didn't see the whole thing, but it seems like you guys must have watched a completely different debate, because I read this morning that "President Trump just turned in the greatest debate performance in presidential history, displaying a command of the facts and control of the conversation."

It must be true, it's from his own website.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2020, 07:38 AM   #340
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
The McMahons are all in with Trump. He and Vince are friends, and Linda has worked for Trump on in Trump's aid for years. I'd be very surprised if Stephanie weren't on board as well.
Oh I know. Hell if anything Vince McMahon is the only human being I could describe as "Trump-like" in a honest way that makes any sense.

Difference is McMahon runs a wrestling promotion so he's easier to tolerate as just an insane alpha-male wacko.
Old 30th September 2020, 07:39 AM   #341
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Oh I know. Hell if anything Vince McMahon is the only human being I could describe as "Trump-like" in a honest way that makes any sense.

Difference is McMahon runs a wrestling promotion so he's easier to tolerate as just an insane alpha-male wacko.
He also is a much more successful businessman than Trump.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2020, 07:41 AM   #342
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Honestly, that's the one I'm looking forwards to.
Me too. Will be good to have a discussion between two adults, not just an adult and a chimpanzee in a suit.

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Cut his mike when it isn't his turn to speak.
I hope they do, in part because it'll let Biden speak, in part because it'll force Trump to find some way to be even more childish to disrupt the discussion, and because it'll cause the trumpkins to go bananas because the moderator was biased and never muted Biden's mic .

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
I had to go to bed after the first 20 minutes, so I didn't see the whole thing, but it seems like you guys must have watched a completely different debate, because I read this morning that "President Trump just turned in the greatest debate performance in presidential history, displaying a command of the facts and control of the conversation."

It must be sad to be such a failure you have to invent your own reality and write your own praise. If Trump wasn't such a despicable... creature, I'd sympathize.
Old 30th September 2020, 07:43 AM   #343
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It must be sad to be such a failure you have to invent your own reality and write your own praise. If Trump wasn't such a despicable... creature, I'd sympathize.
Many, many, many moons ago I read a line in a book that I have long since forgotten the title of and never been able to track back down.

"It's sicking how horrible of a person you've had to become to make me not feel sorry for you."

That line has jumped into my head more than once in regards to Trump.
Old 30th September 2020, 07:52 AM   #344
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post

Well who are you going to believe, the President of the United States or your own lyin' eyes
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2020, 07:53 AM   #345
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Again under the open secret that Trump's job was to turn the debate into, as CNN put it, "a hot mess inside a dumpster fire inside a train wreck" he's not wrong.

Trump was elected to troll and in that sense he is the most successful President ever.
Old 30th September 2020, 07:53 AM   #346
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

A guide to Trump's debate lies (and two Biden errors):
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...ential-debate/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2020, 07:53 AM   #347
Scopedog
Muse

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Those were just his cuff links. I wear them sometimes with my nicer suits and dress shirts. Instead of buttons at the end of the sleeve at your wrists there are two button holes and you put the link through the hole in the cuff.
It was probably the ornament from a rosary bracelet. He is known to wear them. In the videos, the suspicious thing in his sleeve isn't near the cuff.
Scopedog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2020, 07:55 AM   #348
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

I remember strongly disliking Bush, and yet, when it was was over, I found that more than anything, I just felt bad for the guy.

Trump is a miserable character, and probably, beneath it all, desperately afraid and unhappy. Yet I just can't bring myself to feel sorry for him. He's like one of those irredeemable bad guys in old action or superhero flicks, the kind of character who's just evil. Everything he does seems to be for his own gratification, or for some kind of gain, be it social, or financial, or diplomatic. Even when he does express sadness, it's always because he feels sorry for himself, never other people. There's just nothing good in him to relate to.
Old 30th September 2020, 07:56 AM   #349
johnny karate

Originally Posted by Scopedog View Post
It was probably the ornament from a rosary bracelet. He is known to wear them. In the videos, the suspicious thing in his sleeve isn't near the cuff.
Versions of the phrase “in the videos, the suspicious thing...” always provide the foundation of a well-reasoned argument.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2020, 07:57 AM   #350
Scopedog
Muse

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
A guide to Trump's debate lies (and two Biden errors):
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...ential-debate/
I searched for the words "stupid" and "bastards" and didn't find them in the article. Did Biden call US troops 'stupid bastards'? I guess The Washington Post doesn't want you to know.
Scopedog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2020, 07:58 AM   #351
Scopedog
Muse

Versions of the phrase “in the videos, the suspicious thing...” always provide the foundation of a well-reasoned argument.
Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?
Old 30th September 2020, 08:00 AM   #352
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
I searched for the words "stupid" and "bastards" and didn't find them in the article. Did Biden call US troops 'stupid bastards'? I guess The Washington Post doesn't want you to know.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 30th September 2020, 08:04 AM   #353
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Mark Hamill on Twitter:
Lea Thompson: "It was the worse thing I ever experienced and I made out with a duck"
Old 30th September 2020, 08:12 AM   #354
johnny karate

About what? That you saw something suspicious in a video?
Old 30th September 2020, 08:13 AM   #355
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I was amused when Trump, who paid someone to take his SAT for him got on Biden for going to the University of Delaware. If your base is non-college educated white males, deriding someone for the school they went to is rather an odd choice. The few Trump voters smart enough to pick up on it will understand that he thinks even less of them than he does Bidden because they didn't go to any university.
Old 30th September 2020, 08:14 AM   #356
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

What with your innuendo and JAQing off?

Stop being coy and say what you mean. Then we'll agree or disagree with it.
Old 30th September 2020, 08:14 AM   #357
johnny karate

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
When the intended target of an alleged insult claps and cheers in response, perhaps it wasn’t meant as an insult and everyone involved understood that.
Old 30th September 2020, 08:16 AM   #358
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Again under the open secret that Trump's job was to turn the debate into, as CNN put it, "a hot mess inside a dumpster fire inside a train wreck" he's not wrong.

Trump was elected to troll and in that sense he is the most successful President ever.
I think Joe is onto something here, although I don't know that he took it far enough.

What if Trump sat down with his campaign strategists before the debate and decided that at this point in the race, very few minds were going to change. Therefore, it's all about turnout. In that case, Trump wins if he can depress voter turnout.

If we assume that Trump's conscious goal was to get people to stay home on election day, everything he did makes sense.

It goes along with this story:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...16/3567588001/

For those who haven't seen it, it's about a leak of Trump's campaign data from 2016, showing that millions of Americans were targeted with "deterrence" ads. These were ads specifically aimed at depressing voter turnout among people who were more likely to vote for Hillary Clinton. It was a conscious, deliberate, strategy on his part.

What if that circus* last night was also part of that strategy? If so, I'm sure it worked. I'm sure that the antics last night will keep people away from the polls, and in a pattern that means Biden loses more votes that way than Trump. Some of his comments, like bringing up "you just lost the far left" were clearly aimed at that tactic, but the entire performance would have had that effect.

In a strange way, I find this even more sickening than the overt voter suppression techniques that we have seen that use just barely legal, or even illegal, tactics to disenfranchise people. That's despicable, trying to prevent people from expressing their choice. However, this Trump campaign tactic is more aimed at the actual soul of the voters. It aims not to keep them down, but to convince them there is no point in getting up. It's very disturbing.

I hope the Biden team recognizes it, and is effective in countering it. If this tactic were to succeed, it would not merely mean that Trump would be president for another four years, it would mean that he was successful in sapping the spirit of the American people. That's a lot bigger deal than just four years of bad policies.

*Circus workers have expressed offense at this comparison.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 30th September 2020 at 08:20 AM.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2020, 08:16 AM   #359
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Mark Hamill on Twitter:

Thank you, Skywalker .
Old 30th September 2020, 08:17 AM   #360
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

When the intended target of an alleged insult claps and cheers in response, perhaps it wasn’t meant as an insult and everyone involved understood that.
Clearly.

This shows how desperate people are to normalize Trump.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics