ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , donald trump , Melania Trump

Old 1st October 2020, 11:22 PM   #81
Lothian
should be banned

This is terrible news, he needs supporting through this. I hope the republican party and the leaders of the Proud Boys and other right wing groups can all gather round him during his illness.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 11:23 PM   #82
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
Best case scenario, he gets ill enough to realise it actually affects people and subsequently behaves in a way that actually helps to suppress the spread in the US as opposed to his current absolute lack of concern.
He's 70 something, he's right in the firing line for for the highest risk factors.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 11:23 PM   #83
Elagabalus
Philosopher

I was hoping we wouldn't see a string of "I hope he dies" posts in this thread.

Best case scenario, he gets ill enough to realise it actually affects people and subsequently behaves in a way that actually helps to suppress the spread in the US as opposed to his current absolute lack of concern.

Worst case, he is totally asymptomatic and this just confirms him in his folly.

The best case scenario is that he dies and leaves the current GOP, such as it is, completely rudderless. Not that I would ever want that ...
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 11:25 PM   #84
dirtywick
Master Poster

Might actually lose some weight
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 11:26 PM   #85
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
This is terrible news, he needs supporting through this. I hope the republican party and the leaders of the Proud Boys and other right wing groups can all gather round him during his illness.
The impressive list of demented, anti-democracy enablers who were on the plane with him might make this come true in part.
Old 1st October 2020, 11:27 PM   #86
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
The asymptomatic scenario really worries me.
For the good of the country, Trump needs to get really sick. If he doesn't it will embolden a certain segment of the population and we'll be stacking bodies like cord wood.
Old 1st October 2020, 11:28 PM   #87
crescent
Illuminator

I had the same thought.

Yet, things are edgy enough already. The CT/rumor mill is already over the top in claims about election fraud. A dead or severely ill president this late in the game could really destabilise things, trigger people to violence.

There is delicious irony in Trump being unable to effectively campaign because he's ill from the virus that his campaign has dismissed and minimized. That said, I would rather that Biden just smack him in the election fair and square.

Finally, we've got to face the fact that Biden was up there getting yelled at by this guy for an hour and a half. Biden ain't young and he's asthmatic. There's a very real chance we'll see both candidates very sick or dead from this.

This bad. Very bad. I hate Trump, but this is still very bad.

Last edited by crescent; 1st October 2020 at 11:30 PM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 11:29 PM   #88
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

I thought he was taking hydroxychloroquine to prevent it!

I predict he will never mention that drug again.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 11:29 PM   #89
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Twitter trends right now:

Clipboard01.jpg

people are mean ...
Old 1st October 2020, 11:29 PM   #90
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I was hoping we wouldn't see a string of "I hope he dies" posts in this thread.

Give us some credit. We don't want him to die. We want him to be horribly debilitated.
Old 1st October 2020, 11:30 PM   #91
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I honestly hope he will be fine.
Old 1st October 2020, 11:30 PM   #92
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I understand Jeannine Pirro is putting tea together right now for him.

2 eyes of newt (Gingrich's will do)
2 leaves of hemlock
3 leaves of nightshade
reduction of belladonna
boiled together and strained.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 11:32 PM   #93
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Do we know anything about the accuracy of the test?

I remember the WH having a rapid test that has a crazy high false positive rate.
Hope Hicks was diagnosed on wednesday. I'm sure Trump has already had two tests to make sure the first wasn't a false positive.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 11:33 PM   #94
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
I have to wonder how long it took Hope Hicks to get herself tested.

Trump says he got tested after Hicks announced she tested positive.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...279239686?s=20

"Hope Hicks, who has been working so hard without even taking a small break, has just tested positive for Covid 19. Terrible! The First Lady and I are waiting for our test results. In the meantime, we will begin our quarantine process!" - Trump, 3 hours ago.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 11:33 PM   #95
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlosy View Post
Who in here is thinking, just for second, that it might be just a stunt?

Him getting through this without any health problems would surely give him a boost and would also divert any other headlines for some weeks.
My first thought, on first report, in the other thread. That was just after the Hicks report and before I'd heard he'd tested positive. I still won't be convinced unless I it's confirmed that he has some serious symptoms from it. If it is a hoax, there are certainly some unplanned consequences from it. Dow Jones Futures are taking a nosedive.

If it is true, I'd love to see this:

Trump: OK, Doc. So I'm in quarantine. How soon can I get out of here?

Doctor: Umm... in... two weeks.

Last edited by alfaniner; 1st October 2020 at 11:35 PM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 11:33 PM   #96
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Will be interesting to see how the US media (and Fox in particular) will treat this, compared to how they treated Hillary's pneumonia in 2016.

Watch the embedded video: Donald Trump mocks Hillary Clinton over her pneumonia outbreak

Last edited by Firestone; 1st October 2020 at 11:39 PM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 11:35 PM   #97
Samson
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Oh crap, they didn't shake hands but they were definitely in the same room together, unmasked, for 90 minutes while Trump was blathering most of the time.
And Trump was right behind Biden expelling covids.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 11:42 PM   #98
JPK
Graduate Poster

Good morning. I can't see anything good coming from this. Once the supreme court, that he has stacked, overturns ACA, and he becomes penniless after the NYC courts find him guilty of all of the tax and other frauds, he will be forced to sit next to people in an ER somewhere waiting to get treated. That's just not fair to other people in the hospital, both the patients and the healthcare workers. How much more can they take?
John Kardel
JPK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 11:44 PM   #99
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JPK View Post
Good morning. I can't see anything good coming from this. Once the supreme court, that he has stacked, overturns ACA, and he becomes penniless after the NYC courts find him guilty of all of the tax and other frauds, he will be forced to sit next to people in an ER somewhere waiting to get treated. That's just not fair to other people in the hospital, both the patients and the healthcare workers. How much more can they take?
Um....you might want to rethink your timeline there.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 11:45 PM   #100
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I'd still like to see independent verification that President Trump and Melania Trump actually have Coronavirus. It's not like he hasn't lied before and a bit of sympathy and an excuse to dodge debates may be just what he needs right now before bouncing back claiming that he has great genes, that there's a bunch of therapies used on him which are now available to the American people and that he's demonstrated that Coronavirus is no biggie.

Indeed, if he is lying, he could quarantine for a much shorter time to highlight the difference between him, a real man on the campaign trail with Coronavirus and Hidin' Joe Biden who is quaking at home without the disease.

Even if he has the disease, if he is asymptomatic or has mild symptoms IMO he will not follow quarantine guidelines and will break them to do the things he wants to do (like holding rallies) and follow them to get out of things he doesn't want to do (like more debates).
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 11:47 PM   #101
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not worried about this being a hoax. Nothing this administration has ever done makes me think they could keep a secret this big.
Old 1st October 2020, 11:50 PM   #102
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I'd still like to see independent verification that President Trump and Melania Trump actually have Coronavirus. It's not like he hasn't lied before and a bit of sympathy and an excuse to dodge debates may be just what he needs right now before bouncing back claiming that he has great genes, that there's a bunch of therapies used on him which are now available to the American people and that he's demonstrated that Coronavirus is no biggie.

Indeed, if he is lying, he could quarantine for a much shorter time to highlight the difference between him, a real man on the campaign trail with Coronavirus and Hidin' Joe Biden who is quaking at home without the disease.

Even if he has the disease, if he is asymptomatic or has mild symptoms IMO he will not follow quarantine guidelines and will break them to do the things he wants to do (like holding rallies) and follow them to get out of things he doesn't want to do (like more debates).
He'll claim he injected bleach and took hydroxychloroquine!
Old 1st October 2020, 11:51 PM   #103
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
And Trump was right behind Biden expelling covids.
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/air...of-sars-cov-2/
(Steven Novella)

Quote:
There is a strong consensus, and no real doubt, that the primary way in which COVID-19 is spread is through large droplets. There are droplets that come from breathing, talking, coughing, sneezing, shouting, or singing. Viral particles are encapsulated in globs of mucus, saliva, and water. These globs can spread several feet, exactly how far is still a little controversial, but 6 feet is generally considered to be a minimal safe distance.
Quote:
This brings us to aerosolized spread – the matter of the CDC controversy. Can viral particles survive in tiny droplets, the kind that can remain airborne for a long time? Larger droplets tend to fall quickly to the ground, and so mainly spread as projectiles from the mouth or nose. But aerosolized droplets can remain suspended in air, and travel much greater distances, through an indoor space. Cloth masks, as I said above, also don’t protect against breathing them in, only higher-end N95 masks or better do that effectively. Adding to the complexity is the fact that the distinction between “large” droplets and aerosols is somewhat arbitrary and settling time is actually a continuum based on droplet size.

One recent review found:

The case studies found worldwide indicate that the behavior of the SARS-CoV-2 virus has been unprecedentedly unique with more survival and viable rates in the air and believed to linger in the air for an extended period.

Another review was more stark:

The case studies that have come out in different countries have, with prima facie evidence, manifested that the airborne transmission plays a profound role in contracting susceptible hosts.

Yet another recent review concluded:

The authors believe that airborne transmission is possible and that HVAC systems when not adequately used may contribute to the transmission of the virus, as suggested by descriptions from Japan, Germany, and the Diamond Princess Cruise Ship. Previous SARS outbreaks reported at Amoy Gardens, Emergency Rooms and Hotels, also suggested an airborne transmission.

This seems to be the emerging consensus – there is reasonable evidence of airborne spread of COVID-19. All the reviewers also call for more research, but this is to dig deeper on the relative risk in different situations – in a home, building, hospital, car or airplane, and with different ventilation systems. But the fact that the risk of airborne spread is non-trivial now seems very likely.

What does this mean for our recommendations to minimize spread? Essentially it means no mass gatherings indoors. That social distancing alone is not adequate to prevent indoor spread. In high risk situations, like hospitals, N95 or better masks are required to protect workers. Good ventilation reduces, but does not eliminate, the risk.

It should also be pointed out that all of these protective measures need to be done concurrently. Having a good ventilation system, for example, does not mean you don’t need to wear masks or use hand sanitizer – these methods are all preventing different routes of spread. We need to simultaneously do everything.
Yeah, I'm thinking there's fairly high chance that Trump might have spread it to Biden, given that neither was wearing a mask and Trump was talking in a raised voice a lot. Fingers crossed that didn't happen, but it's certainly a possibility at this point.
Old 1st October 2020, 11:51 PM   #104
Elagabalus
Philosopher

I don't. He needs to grovel or be put on a respirator for at least two weeks. Even so he'll totally blow it off as usual but by then it will be too late.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 11:52 PM   #105
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Mentioned in the other thread, but related (and an unexpected consequence, if it is a hoax)
Quote:
Dow futures fall more than 400 points after Trump says he tested positive for coronavirus
Old 1st October 2020, 11:52 PM   #106
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I'm not worried about this being a hoax. Nothing this administration has ever done makes me think they could keep a secret this big.

The White House Physician apparently has commented. It's hard to believe he would be part of an outright hoax. But some commentators are observing that the rapid test the WH uses is known for producing both false positives and false negatives.
Quote:
The president’s physician said Mr. Trump was “well” without saying whether he was experiencing symptoms and added that the president would stay isolated in the White House for now.

“The president and first lady are both well at this time, and they plan to remain at home within the White House during their convalescence,” the physician, Sean P. Conley, said in a statement without saying how long that would be. “Rest assured I expect the president to continue carrying out his duties without disruption while recovering, and I will keep you updated on any future developments.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/02/u...ump-covid.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 11:52 PM   #107
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
I don't. I want him to lose in a landslide and have to face the entire world seeing what a failure he is and laughing at him. And then I want him to go to prison, along with his crotch-goblins Eric, Ivanka, and Junior. I want him to die in prison penniless.

And also, I don't want the trash in his cult to have a martyr.
Well said!

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 11:53 PM   #108
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/air...of-sars-cov-2/
(Steven Novella)

Yeah, I'm thinking there's fairly high chance that Trump might have spread it to Biden, given that neither was wearing a mask and Trump was talking in a raised voice a lot. Fingers crossed that didn't happen, but it's certainly a possibility at this point.
They were pretty far apart in a big room. Certainly possible, but maybe not likely.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2020, 11:59 PM   #109
TofuFighter
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Oh, you dreamer, you!
Yeah, I know. He's done nothing to suggest that anything will change him. I don't actually expect that to happen, it would just be the best thing that could happen.
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:02 AM   #110
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

I downloaded TikTok a couple days ago and I can't describe how joyous it was getting the news of the Trumps testing positive while swiping through videos of goofy millennials. This news was communicated to me by two young black women standing in front of the story while lip-synching to "He had it comin'."

Again, joyous.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:02 AM   #111
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
The White House Physician apparently has commented. It's hard to believe he would be part of an outright hoax. But some commentators are observing that the rapid test the WH uses is known for producing both false positives and false negatives.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/02/u...ump-covid.html
It's not hard to believe at all, considering his previous comments about The PDJT's "excellent" health.

If it is a conspiracy, it's a pretty elaborate one. Having to kick it off with the Hicks announcement, and then bringing the FLOTUS into it, and being backed up by the doctor is pretty broad. CNN is trying to figure out the puzzling timeline between the Hicks announcement and The PDJT's.

I heard a clip of Trump's latest evening interview with Hannity -- he seemed rather apathetic about his needing to be tested and waiting for the results at that very time.
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:02 AM   #112
JPK
Graduate Poster

It is pretty sad, that given his track record, that my first though was "Ok, where is he going with this lie?"
John Kardel
JPK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:08 AM   #113
carlosy
Critical Thinker

Yeah, get really close, hold his hands, hug him tight.
Thoughts and prayers won't be enough this time.
carlosy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:16 AM   #114
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
He'll claim he injected bleach and took hydroxychloroquine!

From the other thread-just make him take a color blindness test!

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...4#post13239984
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:17 AM   #115
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
The asymptomatic scenario really worries me.
What worries me is that he's already receiving plasma antibodies no one else would have access to this early in their infection.

The result would be one more lie from Trump, it's no big deal.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:18 AM   #116
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
It's not hard to believe at all, considering his previous comments about The PDJT's "excellent" health.

If it is a conspiracy, it's a pretty elaborate one. Having to kick it off with the Hicks announcement, and then bringing the FLOTUS into it, and being backed up by the doctor is pretty broad. CNN is trying to figure out the puzzling timeline between the Hicks announcement and The PDJT's.

I heard a clip of Trump's latest evening interview with Hannity -- he seemed rather apathetic about his needing to be tested and waiting for the results at that very time.
He also has a very good "out" if it is a hoax.

He could claim that his tests were false positives which would also allow him to cast doubts on both the number of cases and the number of deaths in the US. After all, if he had 'n' false positives then the true number of cases and deaths must be 1/n.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:19 AM   #117
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
He's 70 something, he's right in the firing line for for the highest risk factors.
Plus overweight and has hypertension.

Old 2nd October 2020, 12:20 AM   #118
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
From the other thread-just make him take a color blindness test!

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...4#post13239984
Hey now.. . I was color blind well before I took that stuff.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:20 AM   #119
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I think the odds of Melania going along with a hoax by Donnie would be about 1,000,000/1.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:22 AM   #120
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

But that would be devastating for his sycophants who don't believe they need to worry. And that spreads to the rest of us.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics