ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , donald trump , Melania Trump

Old 2nd October 2020, 09:19 AM   #321
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I'm guessing that the first few posts in this thread are typical of the rest. The amount of cheering and ill wishing is unprecedented and it would be hard to find a comparable scenario if I godwinned this thread. Much as we would prefer Tweedledum to Tweedledee, I see no reason to make it so personal.

Has anybody considered that anything that keeps Trump out of circulation would be good for his re-election chances?
Old 2nd October 2020, 09:20 AM   #322
lobosrul5
Master Poster

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Remember, people love Trump because he says what he is thinking and isn't worried about being PC.

And people hate Hillary because she said things that hurt their precious little feefees.

And they hate her because someone who used to be her spokesperson has now said something she is thinking without worrying about being PC.
They love Trump because he says what THEY are thinking, and he can get away with not being "PC". Someone speaking their mind without filter when it offends THEM... well now that's different.

Last edited by lobosrul5; 2nd October 2020 at 09:22 AM.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 09:22 AM   #323
lobosrul5
Master Poster

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
I'm guessing that the first few posts in this thread are typical of the rest. The amount of cheering and ill wishing is unprecedented and it would be hard to find a comparable scenario if I godwinned this thread. Much as we would prefer Tweedledum to Tweedledee, I see no reason to make it so personal.

Has anybody considered that anything that keeps Trump out of circulation would be good for his re-election chances?
Yeah texted back and forth with my brother this morning that this could be fake in order for Trump to get out of future debates. But, so many around Trump testing positive probably means its real, we doubt Trump could pull this off.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 09:24 AM   #324
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I want Trump to stop hurting America. At the end of the day that's it.

I'd feel bad and would be doing some deep moral soul searching IF I held onto to even the slightest hope that Trump was capable of either accepting defeat, changing and growing as a person enough to reach the level of 'normal bad,' or even just going away.

So I want Trump to stop hurting America. If the only way that happens is if he shuffles off the mortal coil that's on him, not me.
The sooner he dies the better. Even three months of a lame duck Pence would be better than Trump laying waste to everything in sight.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 09:25 AM   #325
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Having the maskless POTUS coughing with COVID versus the mask-wearing COVID-negative challenger really throws this election season into a poetic light

Last edited by Thermal; 2nd October 2020 at 09:27 AM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 09:27 AM   #326
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Yes, how reprehensible that people wish suffering on someone who is the cause of so much suffering.

Quote:
How so? Please be specific.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 09:28 AM   #327
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Some comments from Doctor Ronnie:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/worl...ost_type=share

I suppose for the literal meaning of incredible - unable to be believed - then I suppose it's right.

Hmmmmmmm......

But he clearly states what IMO is going to be the GOP position on this:

IOW, Covid-19 has been blown out of all proportion by the Democrats and while the illness itself is not a hoax per-se, the need to close anything down or take any extraordinary precautions have ended up creating the "Covid-19 is especially dangerous" hoax.
It's like that joke:

"after my surgery, will I be able to play the trumpet?"
"when the stitches come out, yes"
"good, because I've always wanted to"

Energetic isn't exactly the first word that I'd use to describe Trump. Although I did see one sycophant saying that he was as vigorous as a 30-year old, which gained marks for insincerity.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 09:30 AM   #328
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
How so? Please be specific.
If President Trump had been unable to attend the debate, he likely wouldn't have lost the 1% or 2% following his performance.

It seems that the less people see and hear of him, the more inclined they'd be to forget what a **** he is.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 09:31 AM   #329
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
The sooner he dies the better. Even three months of a lame duck Pence would be better than Trump laying waste to everything in sight.
IMO there's a very real risk that Pence would be re-elected on a wave of public sympathy.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 09:31 AM   #330
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
It's like that joke:

"after my surgery, will I be able to play the trumpet?"
"when the stitches come out, yes"
"good, because I've always wanted to"

Energetic isn't exactly the first word that I'd use to describe Trump. Although I did see one sycophant saying that he was as vigorous as a 30-year old, which gained marks for insincerity.
When I went in for minor surgery on my left hand with only a local anesthetic some years ago, when the doctor approached I asked him "Doc, after this will I be able to play the piano?" He played along for the punch line. Then he cut off my hand! No, the surgery took about ten minutes, but dammit I still can't play the piano!
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 09:33 AM   #331
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Much like his financial maneuvers, his absence in anything would likely be more beneficial than his input.
Old 2nd October 2020, 09:44 AM   #332
johnny karate

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
If President Trump had been unable to attend the debate, he likely wouldn't have lost the 1% or 2% following his performance.

It seems that the less people see and hear of him, the more inclined they'd be to forget what a **** he is.
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Much like his financial maneuvers, his absence in anything would likely be more beneficial than his input.
He’s a politician running for office who just took himself off the campaign trail for half the time he has left to campaign.

Furthermore, something like 2/3rds of the electorate already don’t trust Trump on his coronavirus response. The man was just on live television mocking Biden for wearing a mask. And now despite all his claims to the contrary, Trump has just demonstrated that he can’t even keep himself and his family safe, let alone the country.

There is no way this isn’t devastating to the GOP “Everything is fine” narrative.

I just don’t see how this is a net positive for the Trump campaign.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 09:45 AM   #333
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Remember, people love Trump because he says what he is thinking and isn't worried about being PC.

And people hate Hillary because she said things that hurt their precious little feefees.
Republican snowflake is most pathetic kind of snowflake.
Old 2nd October 2020, 09:46 AM   #334
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Definitely. I've been convinced for a while that the only thing that endangered Trump's reelection is Trump himself. Trump doesn't know how to shut up.

But Trump catching COVID doesn't mean he's going to die from it. Chances are he won't. Nobody and I mean nobody gets better care than the President. So I doubt he will.

I'm worried he'll be even more insufferable if his symptoms are mild. I have wanted Trump to catch COVID for a while. I want him to suffer. Now that doesn't mean I want him to die. I don't wish anyone to die and ordinarily I wouldn't want anyone to suffer. But maybe a little suffering would help Trump be empathetic.

I probably am making the mistake that Trump could become more human like. If he can't, I have no problem with him succumbing to the virus. I'd shed a tear..maybe.
Old 2nd October 2020, 09:47 AM   #335
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Perhaps this is simply the first step to faking his own death, so he can escape the IRS!
Old 2nd October 2020, 09:48 AM   #336
Garrison
Philosopher

One can but hope his doctors insist on complete rest and take his phone away. Imagine 14 days blissfully free of Trump tweets...

Last edited by Garrison; 2nd October 2020 at 10:19 AM.
Garrison is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 09:51 AM   #337
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Nobody and I mean nobody gets better care than the President.
Nobody has access to better care. But that doesn't mean he'll avail himself of it. A lot of people are just bad patients, no matter what the quality of their care. Trump is the sort of person who'd eat before a surgery, lie about it, then barf up cheeseburger and breathe it into his lungs while under anesthesia. That's very irritating for the surgeons.

Consider this: Trump also has access to the best hair stylists. How's that working out for him?
Old 2nd October 2020, 09:56 AM   #338
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Nobody has access to better care. But that doesn't mean he'll avail himself of it. A lot of people are just bad patients, no matter what the quality of their care. Trump is the sort of person who'd eat before a surgery, lie about it, then barf up cheeseburger and breathe it into his lungs while under anesthesia. That's very irritating for the surgeons.

Consider this: Trump also has access to the best hair stylists. How's that working out for him?
You do have a point.
Old 2nd October 2020, 09:59 AM   #339
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

He’s a politician running for office who just took himself off the campaign trail for half the time he has left to campaign.

Furthermore, something like 2/3rds of the electorate already don’t trust Trump on his coronavirus response. The man was just on live television mocking Biden for wearing a mask. And now despite all his claims to the contrary, Trump has just demonstrated that he can’t even keep himself and his family safe, let alone the country.

There is no way this isn’t devastating to the GOP “Everything is fine” narrative.

I just don’t see how this is a net positive for the Trump campaign.
Neither do I, but I'll offer the anxiety produced scenario that I really, really, hope doesn't play out.

Consider your average person planning on voting for Trump.

His true believer supporters won't be affected just because he comes down with some flu-like symptoms. Short of actually dying, they'll come up with some excuse why he was right all a long.

There's another group of people, a fairly large group, actually, that hates Trump. However, they feel that any Republican is better than any Democrat. Nothing about this will change their vote.

So, the only people who could be influenced are the undecideds. How many of those are there? I would think these developments would shift some into the Biden camp, but if they were undecided, they probably already thought Trump was doing a lousy job with Covid, or that whatever he was doing didn't really matter and that the disease was going to "run it's course" anyway.

But there's another electoral influence. It could remind people just how dangerous the virus is. If even the President can't be protected, it must be very dangerous to go out and interact with people, like, for instance, in a line at a polling place. And since Democratic voters are more likely to be afraid of the virus than Republican voters, turnout could be further depressed by seeing the President infected.

That's kind of a nightmare scenario, but not unthinkable.

In general what worries me about this election is that lots of people will vote by mail for the first time, which will result in lots of spoiled ballots, because it's easier to fill out a mail in ballot improperly and get the ballot rejected. Other people will plan on voting by mail, but not get around to doing it in time, and will decide to sit out the election. Other people will plan on voting in person, but at the last minute decide that it isn't safe. Since Democrats fear the virus more than Republicans, all of these things help Trump, and him getting sick makes all of them worse.
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:00 AM   #340
surrogate
Critical Thinker

Even a great chef would struggle to make a decent meal out of dog crap. I assume hair stylists are limited in a similar way.
surrogate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:04 AM   #341
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Somebody nominate this **** for something. Truth with a capital T
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:04 AM   #342
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Would it be asking too much for McConnell to have caught it, too?
McConnell is usually seen with a mask meaning he understands the issue.

I suspect he was smart enough to stay socially distanced from Trump. Maybe he only talked to Trump by phone.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:07 AM   #343
johnny karate

Considering the physics-defying nature of his hairstyle, I would say improbably well.
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:08 AM   #344
lobosrul5
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post

In general what worries me about this election is that lots of people will vote by mail for the first time, which will result in lots of spoiled ballots, because it's easier to fill out a mail in ballot improperly and get the ballot rejected. Other people will plan on voting by mail, but not get around to doing it in time, and will decide to sit out the election. Other people will plan on voting in person, but at the last minute decide that it isn't safe. Since Democrats fear the virus more than Republicans, all of these things help Trump, and him getting sick makes all of them worse.
Or, some people planning on voting for Trump that didn't fear the virus, now do, and will stay at home?? Just trying to be an optimist.
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:08 AM   #345
grunion
Philosopher

Neither do I, but I'll offer the anxiety produced scenario that I really, really, hope doesn't play out.
My version of this has him emerging from seclusion in 2 weeks announcing that he has been 100% cured in 48 hrs. because they gave him the test vaccine, and announcing plans for distribution of 100 million doses to every White American.
“Of all the offspring of Time, Error is the most ancient, and is so old and familiar an acquaintance, that Truth, when discovered, comes upon most of us like an intruder, and meets the intruder's welcome.”
― Charles Mackay, 1841 - Extraordinary Popular Delusions And The Madness Of Crowds
grunion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:08 AM   #346
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Hope you're right. As far as the distance though, I don't know. If airborne transmission happens then it could travel 4-5 meters. The bit I highlighted says that "social distancing alone is not adequate to prevent indoor spread". I guess we'll find out eventually.

The rate at which it's spreading in America makes me think that the normal recommended precautions are not adequate. Either that or people are ignoring them.
Joe put his mask on as soon as the debate was over. From the looks of it the two podiums were farther than 6 feet away.

His wife and everyone with him wore masks.

Despite all that he and his wife are isolating for 2 weeks.

None of Trump's kids had masks on.

I wonder what Chris Wallace's risk was?

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:13 AM   #347
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Joe put his mask on as soon as the debate was over. From the looks of it the two podiums were farther than 6 feet away.

His wife and everyone with him wore masks.

Despite all that he and his wife are isolating for 2 weeks.
And this is the correct response.

The disease can take time to develop. A negative test is a snapshot in time, and does not tell you about the next day.

Biden needs to be tested daily for the next while.

It looks like the superspreader event was the announcement of the SC justice. There are at least 5 who were there who are now positive.

(including the President of Notre Dame)
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:13 AM   #348
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Or, some people planning on voting for Trump that didn't fear the virus, now do, and will stay at home?? Just trying to be an optimist.
Could happen. Maybe even fairly likely.

The number of people affected, either way, is small, but it's likely to be a close election. I'm more worried about spoiled mail-in ballots.
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:18 AM   #349
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

Are you suggesting his own party gave him the virus?
Or that it may be something he caught in the course of not being so careful, but that unintentionally saves him from himself? Boosts his chances by restricting his 'performances' in media?
Because Trump loooooves his rallies and would not give them up. Not for a whole 14 days. Never.

*as an aside, I hope Barron is somehow isolated from hearing how people want his dad to die. Poor kid. (I'm sure he has heard bad things, but not in as real a sense as it is now. I always feel for the children, no matter the parent)

Last edited by Sherkeu; 2nd October 2020 at 10:19 AM.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:18 AM   #350
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by surrogate View Post
Even a great chef would struggle to make a decent meal out of dog crap. I assume hair stylists are limited in a similar way.
But their job is easier, they'd only have to make it not look like dog crap.
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:21 AM   #351
johnny karate

Consider your average person planning on voting for Trump.

His true believer supporters won't be affected just because he comes down with some flu-like symptoms. Short of actually dying, they'll come up with some excuse why he was right all a long.

There's another group of people, a fairly large group, actually, that hates Trump. However, they feel that any Republican is better than any Democrat. Nothing about this will change their vote.

So, the only people who could be influenced are the undecideds. How many of those are there? I would think these developments would shift some into the Biden camp, but if they were undecided, they probably already thought Trump was doing a lousy job with Covid, or that whatever he was doing didn't really matter and that the disease was going to "run it's course" anyway.

But there's another electoral influence. It could remind people just how dangerous the virus is. If even the President can't be protected, it must be very dangerous to go out and interact with people, like, for instance, in a line at a polling place. And since Democratic voters are more likely to be afraid of the virus than Republican voters, turnout could be further depressed by seeing the President infected.

That's kind of a nightmare scenario, but not unthinkable.

Perhaps not impossible, but I think it’s improbable.

By and large, the Democrat’s fear of the virus isn’t keeping them locked in their homes. It just drives them to follow safety protocols like mask-wearing and social distancing.

I can’t imagine a single Democrat who would allow their fear of the coronavirus to override their desire to make sure their vote against Trump counted.
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:22 AM   #352
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps this is simply the first step to faking his own death, so he can escape the IRS!
He could just be spending the year dead. For tax purposes.
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:22 AM   #353
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

The amount of cheering and ill wishing is unprecedented
This is just fantastically false.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:23 AM   #354
johnny karate

Originally Posted by grunion View Post
My version of this has him emerging from seclusion in 2 weeks announcing that he has been 100% cured in 48 hrs. because they gave him the test vaccine, and announcing plans for distribution of 100 million doses to every White American.
But then they’ll need to actually follow through on that and the vaccine will actually have to work.
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:23 AM   #355
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
The man in the red masque has reached the 7th apartment with the black velvet tapestries.

Wallace comments:
Quote:
“I've always been disturbed, frankly, that people think the mask is a political issue and wearing the mask or not wearing the mask says something about your politics,” he said, pointing out that health experts call mask-wearing one of the surest means for fighting the virus until a vaccine is ready.

“If there is one lesson from today, it's here is the president of the United States who lives in the biggest bubble that exists on the planet and he got it, through no fault of his own,” Wallace argued. “And so the answer is wear the damn mask.”

The anchor also lashed out at one of Trump’s newest — and most controversial — advisers on the pandemic, Scott Atlas.

Atlas, a doctor who specialized in radiology and neuroradiology, has consistently offered a rosier view of the pandemic more in line with the president’s and has unnerved other Trump health advisers. He told Fox News on Friday that he expected Trump and the first lady to make a “complete, full and rapid recovery” from the virus, a pledge Wallace dismissed even as he noted he hoped Atlas’ prediction comes true.

Old 2nd October 2020, 10:25 AM   #356
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

But then they’ll need to actually follow through on that and the vaccine will actually have to work.
Vaccines cannot work after an infection has been acquired unless the disease has a long incubation period. Hepatitis B and rabies infections can be prevented if a vaccine is given shortly after inoculation. But not infections with short incubation periods.

Old 2nd October 2020, 10:27 AM   #357
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Hey, if the Pres is incapacitated temporarily for illness, does the Veep run the show till he recovers? I was putting the moves on a blonde in high school Civics class and missed that particular procedure
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:29 AM   #358
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

He did not get it "through no fault of his own..."

He attended an event with lots of people who were there and not wearing masks.

The guidelines for protecting the spread of the virus are very clear. He and his party did not follow those guidelines. That's their own ******* fault.

Let's stop pissing around with this. Call it for what it is - they ignored the risks, and they suffered consequences.
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:29 AM   #359
Monza
Alta Viro

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Agreed. It's unseemly. And to the forum members expressing the same: Guys, don't do that. Be better.

No, "Be Best."
Monza is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 10:29 AM   #360
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Shemp, if you lived closer, I would take you out for a celebratory cocktail.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics