ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , debates , Kamala Harris , Mike Pence , Susan Page , vice presidential debates

Old 7th October 2020, 07:13 PM   #81
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
I hear flies are attracted to ****.
Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
Pence has a fly on his head. It's been there for several minutes.
*nudgenudge*
Old 7th October 2020, 07:13 PM   #82
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

And the fly is the new star of the 2020 election.
Old 7th October 2020, 07:14 PM   #83
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Oops, another question. Brionna Taylor.

Harris: Was justice done? I don't believe so. Her family deserves justice. George Floyd. Protests of people fighting for values together. Bad cops are bad for good cops. Ban choke holds and karate holds. National registry for officers who break the law. Will decriminalise marijuana. Goes over time.

Pence: Was justice done? Our heart breaks for any innocent life, and our heart breaks for her family. No excuse for what happened to George Floyd. No excuse for rioting and looting. BidenHarris presumption that USA systemically racist. Trump & I stand with each and every LI officer. Goes over time repeatedly.

Harris: I will not be lectured to about the laws of the United States. Last week Trump refused to condemn white supremicists. Trump has said there are 'fine people on both sides'.

Pence: Media selectively edit like Harris. Trump has condemned them repeatedly. Trump has jewish background. When you were DA/AG, blacks stats on crime.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2020, 07:15 PM   #84
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"Lorne Michaels is already on the phone asking how big of a fly prop they have in storage" - Seen on Twitter.
Old 7th October 2020, 07:15 PM   #85
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Harris: I was the first to initiate body cameras on officers. Was first to ackowledged that implicit bias exists in court.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2020, 07:15 PM   #86
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
And the fly is the new star of the 2020 election.
'Help Me Help Me".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2020, 07:16 PM   #87
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Pence is acting like Trump lite.

Trump puts water bottle under the table. Pence puts water bottle under the table.

Trump hogs the microphone. Pence hogs the microphone.

He also channels Eddie Haskell with great skill.

Add: No, I didn't write the Eddie Haskell wiki page, nor consult it before posting the insightful comment above.
Quote:
The character, played in the original series by Ken Osmond, has become a cultural reference, recognized as an archetype for insincere sycophants

Last edited by varwoche; 7th October 2020 at 07:22 PM.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2020, 07:17 PM   #88
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Pence is acting like Trump lite.

Trump puts water bottle under the table. Pence puts water bottle under the table.

Trump hogs the microphone. Pence hogs the microphone.
Who’s a good boy? You are! Yes, you are!
Old 7th October 2020, 07:20 PM   #89
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Q: Peaceful transfer of power? What would happen if Trump doesn't leave peacefully?

Harris: Supporters. eg generals, Colin Powell, National Security experts. Biden has deep-seated integrity, we believe in our democracy. Urges Americans to vote. Vote. Use our voice and we will win. Please vote.

Q What will be your role if Trump refuses to leave?

Pence: I have confidence we will win. Supporters. LE. Says Democrats spent 3-4 years trying to overturn the last election. I think we will win. Trump and he are in courthouses every day to stop Democrats.
Old 7th October 2020, 07:22 PM   #90
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Have spent 5 minutes trying to combine the "Antifa throwing soup" meme and the fly on Pence's head into a "Waiter there's a fly in my soup" debate joke and getting nowhere and I hate myself a little because of it.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 7th October 2020 at 07:23 PM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2020, 07:23 PM   #91
angrysoba
Philosophile

Pence: Let me commend you (8th grader) for taking an interest in public life.

Jesus! Poor kid who is growing up thinking that Trump and Pence are models of public life.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2020, 07:23 PM   #92
Galaxie
Muse

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
Pence:...Trump and he are in courthouses every day to stop Democrats.
This is the first true statement he's made all night.
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2020, 07:25 PM   #93
Orphia Nay
Tagger

8th Grader's questoin from Utah. Whan I watch the news, all I see is citizen fighting v citizen. Leaders always fighting. What do we do? (paraphrased).

Pence: Kudos to kid. I started following news when I was young. Don't assume the news is synonymous with the people. RBG and Scallea were both close family friends. When the debate is over, we come together as friends. We love a good debate.

Harris: I young hearing from our young leaders. I know that's a sign of leadership and our future is bright. Biden decided to run partly after Charlottesville. He has a history of lifting people up and fighting for their dignity. He has known pain, suffering, love. I believe our future is bright.
Old 7th October 2020, 07:29 PM   #94
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Have spent 5 minutes trying to combine the "Antifa throwing soup" meme and the fly on Pence's head into a "Waiter there's a fly in my soup" debate joke and getting nowhere and I hate myself a little because of it.
There's going to be some serious memes with that fly on the VP's head.
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” August 14, 2017 President Donald John Trump
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2020, 07:31 PM   #95
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Pence has a fly on his head. It's been there for several minutes.
He can't use his reptile tongue to eat it while the cameras are on him.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2020, 07:31 PM   #96
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Once again, Pence makes false claims that the Dems have tried to 'overturn' the 2016 election and that the Obama admin "spied" on Trump.

Pence is just so smarmy. He makes my skin crawl.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 7th October 2020 at 07:34 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2020, 07:34 PM   #97
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Lord of the Flies.

Not a traditional sign of being blessed by God.
More like the other dude.
Old 7th October 2020, 07:37 PM   #98
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
'Help Me Help Me".
God help me I get the reference!
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2020, 07:41 PM   #99
Orphia Nay
Tagger

I was impressed with Harris's ability to draw in huge concepts and strategies and history, and her ability to stay on topic and stick to the time limit, and stand up for her equal time to Pence after he'd gone over multiple times.

I don't think she answered the first question, but the rest of her speaking was excellent.

Pence was all over the place.
Old 7th October 2020, 07:43 PM   #100
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Once again it proves it is hard to debate someone willing to constantly make up lies. But u think Harris did well none the less.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2020, 07:46 PM   #101
angrysoba
Philosophile

Well, I hope it plays well.

By the way, I for one have a hard time trusting the American people. Sorry about that.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2020, 07:55 PM   #102
zorro99
Muse

“Why, he wouldn’t even harm a fly.”

Norman Bates
Old 7th October 2020, 08:19 PM   #103
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
No. She's holding her own just fine against a skeleton wearing a skinsuit costume of Jonny Quest's dad.
For the record, Jonny Quest's dad is, Dr. Benton Quest.

https://warnerbros.fandom.com/wiki/Dr._Benton_Quest

I believe you are referring to, Race Bannon, Jonny Quest's bodyguard.

https://jonnyquest.fandom.com/wiki/Race_Bannon

I hate to be a stickler for this sort of thing, but I've been a fan of Jonny Quest since it was on in prime time.

So remember, it's Race Bannon that bears an uncanny resemblance to Mike Pence, not the ginger haired, goatee wearing, Dr. Benton Quest.

I'm pretty sure these images aren't hyper-linked, but if they are, please feel free to edit, dear moderators.

Last edited by Mike!; 7th October 2020 at 08:26 PM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2020, 08:28 PM   #104
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Just as long as the fly didn't lay eggs in his brain we will be fine.

He kept saying, " You're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts,"
in a way that didn't seem like he understood what that meant.

Kamala was very polite I think did well. Pence didn't make me cringe.

The campaign signs ought to be Biden / Harris and Trump / Pence.

P. S. Just got a text. Bad news, 150 million likely voters. I read it tomorrow.
Old 7th October 2020, 08:36 PM   #105
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
He will just continually change the subject and he will be fine.
I think I was right.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2020, 08:40 PM   #106
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

“Black flies matter.” - Facebook comment
Old 7th October 2020, 08:50 PM   #107
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Pretty fly on a white guy
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2020, 08:51 PM   #108
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
So remember, it's Race Bannon that bears an uncanny resemblance to Mike Pence, not the ginger haired, goatee wearing, Dr. Benton Quest.
]
he is Republican... So shouldn't that be Racist Bannon?

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2020, 08:51 PM   #109
Mike!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
There's now an obvious issue that listening to the debate over watching it has revealed. No 'play by play commentary' mentioning Pence apparently had a bug on him for an extended period of time.
Old 7th October 2020, 08:58 PM   #110
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

People are getting the fly thing all wrong: Pence should be praised for resisting his natural urge to flick out his tongue and eat it.
Old 7th October 2020, 09:03 PM   #111
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

I didn't make it to the flies. I gave up early in exasperation with the lies.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2020, 09:04 PM   #112
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Attached Images
File Type: jpg D6ADF922-DF37-4998-BB90-B1D6831D997D.jpg (27.7 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Regnad Kcin; 7th October 2020 at 09:05 PM.
Regnad Kcin is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2020, 09:08 PM   #113
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
For the record, Jonny Quest's dad is, Dr. Benton Quest.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/wa...20160824034324

https://warnerbros.fandom.com/wiki/Dr._Benton_Quest

I believe you are referring to, Race Bannon, Jonny Quest's bodyguard.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20160903214632

https://jonnyquest.fandom.com/wiki/Race_Bannon

I hate to be a stickler for this sort of thing, but I've been a fan of Jonny Quest since it was on in prime time.

I'm pretty sure these images aren't hyper-linked, but if they are, please feel free to edit, dear moderators.

I tried to tell him!

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Minor quibble. "Race" Bannon was the body guard* of Dr. Quest.

* back in the day on Adult Swim there was an episode of "Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law" where he represents Race(?). I can't quite remember the details but it was alluded to that Race and Dr. Quest were a "thing" and played on the whole complete lack of female energy in any episode of Jonny Quest.
Total derail!!!

Look what I found! The night wasn't wasted!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

******* Hoyt Curtin! Phuk yeah!
The music was hip as ******!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2020, 09:11 PM   #114
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Seeing new accounts on Twitter with variations of usernames such as "The Fly on Pence's Head".

One said, "Quarantining rn".
Old 7th October 2020, 09:13 PM   #115
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 212A5F59-3A6F-4668-97E8-4B013A41F49D.jpg (49.7 KB, 12 views)
Old 7th October 2020, 09:18 PM   #116
Mike!

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
'Help Me Help Me".
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 7th October 2020, 09:25 PM   #117
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

I think Harris hit a nerve. Pence is talking about the swine flu response now!
One of the single dumbest arguments Pence made was saying that if the swine flu was as deadly as the coronavirus, two million people would have died.

The sad and scary part is that there are a lot of people out there who think that’s a good argument.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2020, 09:46 PM   #118
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The Twitterverse has gone crazy over Pence's red eye.

So much more fun than the debate:

MSN: 'Zombie eye': Twitter obsesses over Mike Pence's bloodshot eye during debate
Quote:
Moments into the contest, moderated by USA Today's Susan Page, several Twitter users started posting close-up screen shots of Pence with a bloodshot left eye. Others made jokes.

"Woah what’s up with Pence’ zombie eye?? Pink eye is a COVID symptom!" one Twitter account said....

“Pence looks ill! What wrong with his left eye?? I need answers. yikes,” wrote former White House aide Omarosa Manigault Newman said....
Even Omarosa weighed in!

So we know Pence should be in quarantine according to CDC guidelines because he's been exposed recently. He could have taken a cough suppressant and an antipyretic for good measure. I looked for unilateral conjunctivitis and COVID and found this:

Nature correspondence: Coronavirus disease 2019 presenting with conjunctivitis as the first symptom
Quote:
We herein report a case of confirmed COVID-19 presenting with unilateral conjunctivitis.

A 48-year-old man attended our Emergency Eye Department complaining of a 5-day history of redness and watery discharge in the right eye (RE) associated with foreign body sensation. Medical history was unremarkable with no history of cigarette smoking. On questioning, patient reported history of intermittent dry cough and mild fever over the last 3 days. Blood pressure was 135/90 mmHg. Temperature was 38 °C and the oxygen saturation level was 97% (SpO2) while the patient was breathing ambient air. Clinical history and slit lamp examination were consistent with a viral conjunctivitis in the RE. Because of the respiratory symptoms and the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak in our Region, a chest X-ray scan was ordered and showed increased bronchovascular marking with no definite signs suggestive of pneumonia (Supplemental Figure). Nasal and pharyngeal swab specimens for real-time reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction assay were taken and turned out to be positive for COVID-19. Patient was admitted for observation and received supportive therapy consisting of oral paracetamol 1 g three times/day and a tapering course of topical tobramycin–dexamethasone in the RE. Given normalization of temperature and improvement of both the respiratory and the ocular symptoms, patient was discharged after 3 days of observation and home isolation for 14 days was advised.
So the first symptom was the eye (5 days prior) and the other symptoms started 3 days prior.

If Pence thinks those negative tests mean he can ignore** a cough and a fever (Giuliani is doing the same thing), then this scenario is not so far-fetched.

**Both are ignoring CDC guidelines.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2020, 10:31 PM   #119
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The Twitterverse has gone crazy over Pence's red eye.
Looks like baloney to me. I didn't notice anything about Pence's eyes watching the debate. I found some pictures that seem to make his left eye look red. But I looked back at the debate video and I see nothing wrong with Pence's eye.
Old 7th October 2020, 10:33 PM   #120
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
There's going to be some serious memes with that fly on the VP's head.
I know. It turns Pence into an object of ridicule and detracts from his pitifully few success in the debate. That fly did the nation a great service.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics