ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , debates , Kamala Harris , Mike Pence , Susan Page , vice presidential debates

Reply
Old 8th October 2020, 09:13 PM   #201
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 15,405
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Responsible news organizations report the facts. If the fact is that someone is, as you put it, "a lying, incoherent, self-centered crybaby" who is also an ignorant vicious crook, that's what they will report. It's not their job to be neutral. What could that even mean? It's not their job to find a way to make someone look good despite the facts. Trump has never been convicted of murder, for example, but there's no necessity to work that into every story about him..
Many Faux News hosts (Ingraham, Carlson, Pirro) think that is exactly their job, and if they can trigger the Libs while doing it, more's the better.
__________________
"Woke" is a pejorative term used by racists, homophobes and misogynists to describe people who possess a fully functional moral compass.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 06:36 AM   #202
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator
 
ChrisBFRPKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,297
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Trump is technically correct by using the word "quote", but Harris was correct about the facts. Lincoln did, in fact, delay the confirmation of his SC nominee until after the election when the seat became available just 27 days before the election.

https://www.politifact.com/article/2...t-abraham-lin/
Harris lied and made up her own "Lincoln quote". Abraham Lincoln never said that. This is evidence of an attempted rewrite of history.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...n-abe-lincoln/

"Lincoln, of course, said no such thing. He sent no nominee to the Senate in October 1864 because the Senate was out of session until December. He sent a nominee the day after the session began, and Salmon P. Chase was confirmed the same day"
__________________
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” August 14, 2017 President Donald John Trump
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 06:47 AM   #203
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker
 
kookbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 12,733
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Harris lied and made up her own "Lincoln quote". Abraham Lincoln never said that. This is evidence of an attempted rewrite of history.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...n-abe-lincoln/

"Lincoln, of course, said no such thing. He sent no nominee to the Senate in October 1864 because the Senate was out of session until December. He sent a nominee the day after the session began, and Salmon P. Chase was confirmed the same day"
Desperate for anything, aren't you?

"Oh noooes! Harris said one wrong thing while Pence spouted lie after lie after lie! So its all even stevenzies!"
__________________
www.spectrum-scientifics.com <- My store of science toys, instruments and general fun!

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 06:52 AM   #204
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator
 
ChrisBFRPKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,297
Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Desperate for anything, aren't you?

"Oh noooes! Harris said one wrong thing while Pence spouted lie after lie after lie! So its all even stevenzies!"
If making up an historical quote from Lincoln seems ok with you I guess all is well. Now consider how you would feel if Mike Pence had done the same........
__________________
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” August 14, 2017 President Donald John Trump
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 07:27 AM   #205
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker
 
kookbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 12,733
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
If making up an historical quote from Lincoln seems ok with you I guess all is well. Now consider how you would feel if Mike Pence had done the same........
Bad Faith Argument as usual.

Besides, the point was that the GOP is trying to ram home a SCOTUS nomination just weeks before an election while in 2016 they positively rent their shirts in horror that a SCOTUS judge might be assigned almost 3/4 of a year before an election.
__________________
www.spectrum-scientifics.com <- My store of science toys, instruments and general fun!

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 12:28 PM   #206
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster
 
Mader Levap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,054
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
If making up an historical quote from Lincoln seems ok with you
Hey, you seem to be ok with Pence (and Trump) lying all the time, so it is ok for Harris, especially if she lies less.
__________________
Sanity is overrated. / Voting for Trump is morally equivalent to voting for Nazis in early 30's.
Mader Levap is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 12:32 PM   #207
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 16,021
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Harris lied and made up her own "Lincoln quote". Abraham Lincoln never said that. This is evidence of an attempted rewrite of history.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...n-abe-lincoln/

"Lincoln, of course, said no such thing. He sent no nominee to the Senate in October 1864 because the Senate was out of session until December. He sent a nominee the day after the session began, and Salmon P. Chase was confirmed the same day"
Lincoln could have called for a special session but did not. It was certainly within his power to do so. So Harris's point is still correct. If the Senate were out of session now, you can bet your bottom dollar that Trump would call one in a heart beat in order to push through ACB's confirmation before he election.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 9th October 2020 at 12:35 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 08:55 PM   #208
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger
 
Orphia Nay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Posts: 38,055
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Harris was not a great debater, but was a consummate politician. Staying on theme, ensuring she got her rehearsed points out, not rising to the bait.

But Pence was pathetic. Not as bullying as Trump, but talking over Harris regularly, ignoring the moderator (Harris did too, but not as often) and obsequious to Trump in a nauseating manner. Oh, and obviously lying.

It was a slam dunk to Harris.

And to those who don’t know, both parties are well to the right by Australian standards, and I wouldn’t vote for either if I was in the US. The Democrats are by many measures pretty close to our right wing Liberal National Party.
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Watching Harris and Pence argue about which administration loves fracking more is some 100% high test nihilism fuel.
I did cringe at that, yes.


Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Isn't fracking kind of a moot point nowadays? I thought lower oil prices was making high-cost fracking economically inviable.

Not saying that things can't change, and oil prices could skyrocket in the near future reigniting the frack boom, but seems odd that there was so much special emphasis on fracking at this debate.
It wasn't explicitly said, but I've seen Trump go on about how fracking means "hundreds of thousands of jobs".

Ignoring the fact that there are jobs in solar, methane, wind, wave power.

In Australia, our "right-wing" Prime Minister has said a few times lately, "gas is a transition fuel".

Not sure what he means there, but at least he's looking towards a more green future unlike Trump.
__________________
"We stigmatize and send to the margins
people who trigger in us the feelings we want to avoid"
- Melinda Gates, "The Moment of Lift".
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2020, 03:14 PM   #209
Elagabalus
Philosopher
 
Elagabalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6,507
This is a follow-followup from a comment the other day in the Harris Pence thread but I didn't want to further derail it.

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Minor quibble. "Race" Bannon was the body guard* of Dr. Quest.

* back in the day on Adult Swim there was an episode of "Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law" where he represents Race(?). I can't quite remember the details but it was alluded to that Race and Dr. Quest were a "thing" and played on the whole complete lack of female energy in any episode of Jonny Quest.

A pretty well done YT doc about Jonny Quest.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


which has @ 2:01:46 an excerpt of the previously mentioned "Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law"! Yay!!

https://youtu.be/4D4N2ybJFoE?t=7306

ETA! Ooops!

Last edited by Elagabalus; 10th October 2020 at 03:41 PM.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2020, 02:58 PM   #210
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 48,368
Harris did OK in the debate. She did not make any major mistakes. That is all she needed to be.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2020, 03:38 PM   #211
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,048
Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
To be honest, I was really hoping that Harris was less restrained. I wanted hI found it a disturbing and frankly extremely sad commentary on the US, that people assume (correctly or otherwise) that Kamala was pulling her punches because she is worried about the optics of a black woman being assertive, passionate or aggressive in a debate.
Meanwhile, pretty much everyone on black twitter likened her to a long-suffering black mom who was clearly showing contempt for the actions of the child in front of her. It's "restraint" in that she didn't smack him in the mouth, but that's about it. But that's the reason they all prepare - "we expect your opponent to do X, respond by doing Y". Pence mimiced Dolt 45, as usual for him, Harris handled it well. Naturally, misogynists like Dave Rubin and Rush Limbaugh hated her, women in generally said "oh, he's *that* guy at work that I hate". End result? Harris wins.

Quote:
But I think the strategy makes sense in what you say - "The polls won't change." As it is, Biden-Harris are way ahead in the polls, and it is Trump-Pence who need to shake things up in the debates. By holding off in the debates like a defensive boxer, and making the opponent do the chasing, they don't need to risk losing the lead they have, whereas Trump and Pence are the ones trying to make their ever more desperate swings connect.
thing is, I really can't remember the last time a VP debate changed anything - and even the last presidential debate was just one part of a wave of bad news for Toupee Fiasco. Quayle was just a walking embarrassment, Palin got slaughtered by Katie Couric. Long term, these events simply don't matter, in large part because anyone who cares should already know what they need to about each candidate already, and the people who don't care...don't care. That's why even Clinton's stomping of Cheeto Benito in every debate had no lasting effect.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2020, 05:17 PM   #212
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Port Townsend, Washington
Posts: 29,363
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Many Faux News hosts (Ingraham, Carlson, Pirro) think that is exactly their job, and if they can trigger the Libs while doing it, more's the better.
Disagree. They KNOW that is exactly their job. It's probably written into their contracts.
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:07 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.