ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Gretchen Whitmer , Michigan incidents , militia incidents

Old 8th October 2020, 12:53 PM   #1
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

13 arrested for planning to kidnap D governour of Michigan

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/08/u...n-militia.html

Scary.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 01:11 PM   #2
Lurch
Graduate Poster

No no. It's BLM protesters and AntiFa were supposed to be afraid of.

How long 'til Drumpf wades in with some variation of "good people?"After all, their aim was to 'liberate' Michigan from the hated Whitmer.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 01:18 PM   #3
Venom
Illuminator

Crickets from the antifa scaremongers.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 01:28 PM   #4
grunion
Philosopher

1. "Fake news."
2. "Fine people."
3. "Obvious overreach by the deep state FBI."
4. "We are the ones that stopped them from this heinious (spelled that way in the tweet) act. LAWR AND ORDERR!!1!1!"
5. "Scam by Antifa posing as real Americans."
“Of all the offspring of Time, Error is the most ancient, and is so old and familiar an acquaintance, that Truth, when discovered, comes upon most of us like an intruder, and meets the intruder's welcome.”
― Charles Mackay, 1841 - Extraordinary Popular Delusions And The Madness Of Crowds
grunion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 01:30 PM   #5
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump sycophant Jason Miller:
“If we want to talk about hatred—then Governor Whitmer, go look in the mirror! I mean, the fact that she wakes up every day with such hatred in her heart towards President Trump.”

ETA: How dare Whitmer criticize Trump's part in encouraging this militia group planning to "liberate Michigan" by kidnapping her and "liberating" the Michigan government?

Last edited by Stacyhs; 8th October 2020 at 01:33 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 01:30 PM   #6
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Crickets from the antifa scaremongers.
You're in the wrong thread. We're being told they were really secret leftist for... reasons and that were doing it for.... other reasons I guess elsewhere on the board.
Old 8th October 2020, 01:31 PM   #7
Cain
Straussian

Patriots.
Old 8th October 2020, 01:32 PM   #8
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Beribart is already screaming fake FBI Conspiraby

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 02:11 PM   #9
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Trump sycophant Jason Miller:
“If we want to talk about hatred—then Governor Whitmer, go look in the mirror! I mean, the fact that she wakes up every day with such hatred in her heart towards President Trump.”

ETA: How dare Whitmer criticize Trump's part in encouraging this militia group planning to "liberate Michigan" by kidnapping her and "liberating" the Michigan government?
That sounds suspiciously like "nuh uh, you are!"

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 02:47 PM   #10
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Governor Whitmer's rebuke to Trump. Good speech although I think she would have a greater impact if it was shorter.

https://youtu.be/yvLZaXdTjG4
Old 8th October 2020, 03:55 PM   #11
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

This is like when you've started a new game and you're trying out different facial hair presets on the same face in the character creator.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 04:00 PM   #12
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Not a full set of teeth nor a dozen brain cells among the lot of them.

That is, Trump supporters.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 04:06 PM   #13
dirtywick
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ej09zxkV...g&name=900x900

This is like when you've started a new game and you're trying out different facial hair presets on the same face in the character creator.
An incel with herpes is like finding a unicorn
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 04:54 PM   #14
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

No, most people are infected with herpes (the lip sores) as children, by family members. Most people are asymptomatic.
Old 8th October 2020, 05:17 PM   #15
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Whitmer responds to Jason Miller: "I think it tells you everything you need to know about the White House ... everything that’s at stake in this election.”
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 05:38 PM   #16
jerrywayne
Graduate Poster

The Criminal Complaint filed in the Western District of Michigan:

https://static.politico.com/e5/1d/aa...naffidavit.pdf
jerrywayne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 05:45 PM   #17
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Anyone notice what's missing from this thread?

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 05:47 PM   #18
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Trumpers.
Old 8th October 2020, 05:48 PM   #19
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
An incel with herpes is like finding a unicorn....

... or a pile of rocking-horse **** !

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 05:49 PM   #20
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Trumpers.
Give that man a cigar!

Old 8th October 2020, 05:53 PM   #21
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ej09zxkV...g&name=900x900

One on the left looks like he's tried to add a 'stash just so he stops being mistaken for vaguely middle eastern.
You could probably troll him to tears just by asking what country he's from.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 05:56 PM   #22
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
We've been through this. They can't talk until their Cult Leader tells them what excuse to use.

Again they are all watching. As soon as there's some opening for them to nitpick or someone says something "dramatic" they'll swarm at the chance to hijack the discussion just like the intellectual and moral cowards they are.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 8th October 2020 at 06:00 PM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 06:19 PM   #23
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
We've been through this. They can't talk until their Cult Leader tells them what excuse to use.

Again they are all watching. As soon as there's some opening for them to nitpick or someone says something "dramatic" they'll swarm at the chance to hijack the discussion just like the intellectual and moral cowards they are.
Some of them are in the “Riots, looting, vandalism, etc.” thread desperately wishing the narrative would shift to focus on the tragedy of broken windows.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 06:25 PM   #24
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Oh gee whiz!

These fellows have to be about the most stupid individuals in the world. After all, there is no way that a mere six people could somehow fight the entire state of Michigan and win.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 06:30 PM   #25
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Oh gee whiz!

These fellows have to be about the most stupid individuals in the world. After all, there is no way that a mere six people could somehow fight the entire state of Michigan and win.
I thought there were 13?
Old 8th October 2020, 06:38 PM   #26
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I thought there were 13?
The report I heard stated six.

However, even if they had 1000 people involved, then that would still not be nearly enough to overthrow Michigan.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 06:45 PM   #27
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

6 with Federal charges, 7 with State Charges.
Old 8th October 2020, 06:47 PM   #28
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
The report I heard stated six.

However, even if they had 1000 people involved, then that would still not be nearly enough to overthrow Michigan.
Yes, first reports said 6.

They ended up arresting 13.

And yes, I agree. That's not nearly enough.

I was joking, as well as informing.
Old 8th October 2020, 06:48 PM   #29
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Ahem.

They REALLY don't know how tanks work??
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 07:32 PM   #30
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

What is the endgame in kidnapping a governor? Did they think past grabbing her?

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 07:36 PM   #31
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I heard on the Internet (TM) that they were going to put her on trial for treason and then execute her -- presuming she was convicted I guess.
Old 8th October 2020, 07:38 PM   #32
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Phase 1: Kidnap the governor
Phase 2: Take her to Wisconsin (for some reason) and try her for crimes of tyranny
Phase 3: ???
Phase 4: Profit
Old 8th October 2020, 07:49 PM   #33
sackett
Philosopher

Those fringe-faced hoons can be glad they didn't actually try it on with SuperGretch. She'd hang their balls in billiard halls and shoot at them with rifles.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 07:55 PM   #34
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

How far did they get?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 08:00 PM   #35
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

We need clips of Fox, OAN, Limbaugh, Jones and all the other hatemongers who called Whitmer a tyrant etc.
Old 8th October 2020, 08:17 PM   #36
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
We need clips of Fox, OAN, Limbaugh, Jones and all the other hatemongers who called Whitmer a tyrant etc.
Please.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 08:30 PM   #37
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Twenty-five states prohibit teaching, demonstrating or practicing in the use of firearms or “techniques” capable of causing injury or death for use during a civil disorder. Eighteen states prohibit either the false assumption of the duties of public officials, including law-enforcement officials, or the wearing of uniforms similar to military uniforms.

All these laws point to a single conclusion: There is no right in any state for groups of individuals to arm themselves and organize either to oppose or augment the government.

The Plot Against Gretchen Whitmer Shows the Danger of Private Militias
Old 8th October 2020, 08:39 PM   #38
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Trump was just tweeting *more* hate against her. I think he is hoping some other group actually is competent enough to pull it off thus creating enough disorder to throw the election into doubt.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 08:46 PM   #39
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

Fake Nooooooos! What about that time Rick Moranis got sucker-punched by a black guy. Nobody had anything to say about that? Huh, why is that Libs? Are you Hippocrates?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 08:50 PM   #40
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

https://twitter.com/robbystarbuck/st...67058339819520
TahiniBinShawarma is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics