ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Gretchen Whitmer , Michigan incidents , militia incidents

Old 8th October 2020, 08:52 PM   #41
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Not a full set of teeth nor a dozen brain cells among the lot of them.

That is, Trump supporters.
Are they, though? According to the FBI, these guys were also targeting police. I'm not sure how you get that they're Trump supporters from that. Their anti-government hatred seems to cross the partisan divide.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 08:58 PM   #42
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I would like to know if some of these guys are on video during the armed protect at the Capital.
Old 8th October 2020, 09:00 PM   #43
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Are they, though? According to the FBI, these guys were also targeting police. I'm not sure how you get that they're Trump supporters from that. Their anti-government hatred seems to cross the partisan divide.
You think that all Trump supporters are pro-government?
Even as President, Trump is running on an anti-government platform.
Old 8th October 2020, 09:05 PM   #44
Venom
Illuminator

I think there is significant overlap between the Trumpers and Timothy McVeigh types.

If they're butting heads a lot more than I've seen it'll be interesting.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 09:14 PM   #45
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Sorry to inform you, Trump is the Law and Order candidate.
TahiniBinShawarma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 09:16 PM   #46
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Also, you are conflating less government with anti-government. Which to me at least, is 2 different things.
TahiniBinShawarma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 09:19 PM   #47
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I think there is significant overlap between the Trumpers and Timothy McVeigh types.

Considering one of their leaders arrested is on video saying Trump is not your friend with an anarchist flag on is wall, I'm going to have to disagree.

He says Trump is "a tyrant" & calls President Trump an "enemy". He actually sounds like he's buddies with the majority of people in this thread.

Are you people suggesting these crackpots were inspired by Trump who they hate?

Last edited by TahiniBinShawarma; 8th October 2020 at 09:22 PM.
Old 8th October 2020, 09:25 PM   #48
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Can you cite the anti-government platform Trump is running on? I'm willing to bet it has nothing to do with what these guys are into.
Old 8th October 2020, 09:29 PM   #49
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Anyone notice what's missing from this thread?
It sure isn't a lack of anti Trump people trying to connect him or his supporters in some way to this plot without looking ridiculous.
Old 8th October 2020, 09:30 PM   #50
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

We need clips of Fox, OAN, Limbaugh, Jones and all the other hatemongers who called Whitmer a tyrant etc.
But we already have video of these guys calling Trump a tyrant.
Old 8th October 2020, 09:31 PM   #51
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Trump was just tweeting *more* hate against her. I think he is hoping some other group actually is competent enough to pull it off thus creating enough disorder to throw the election into doubt.
Old 8th October 2020, 09:35 PM   #52
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TahiniBinShawarma View Post
Sorry to inform you, Trump is the Law and Order candidate.
So he says. But his actions declare differently. To start, recall his unconstitutional sweeping of peaceful protesters out of Lafayette Square for his bible photo op.

And he is "Individual 1" in the criminal case that his former lawyer served time for.

And he was impeached over attempting to strong arm Ukraine via illegally withheld aid.

And let's not forget the approx. 2 dozen women alleging sexual impropriety, all the way to rape. Whom he said he'd be suing. I wonder why he hasn't; fear of the discovery process?

I need hardly go on, except to note that he's had one hell of a number of close associates on the wrong end of the legal process. Being judged by the company you keep, and all that.

Law and order candidate, my ass.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 09:39 PM   #53
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I think if someone's going to claim these people are Trump supporters, they should provide some actual evidence of that. Apparently you feel differently.

Quote:
He's not running on an anti-cop platform.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 09:40 PM   #54
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
So he says. But his actions declare differently. To start, recall his unconstitutional sweeping of peaceful protesters out of Lafayette Square for his bible photo op.

And he is "Individual 1" in the criminal case that his former lawyer served time for.

And he was impeached over attempting to strong arm Ukraine via illegally withheld aid.

And let's not forget the approx. 2 dozen women alleging sexual impropriety, all the way to rape. Whom he said he'd be suing. I wonder why he hasn't; fear of the discovery process?

I need hardly go on, except to note that he's had one hell of a number of close associates on the wrong end of the legal process. Being judged by the company you keep, and all that.

Law and order candidate, my ass.
Quite the gish gallop. These people are anti law enforcement and anarchists. Trump is not anti law enforcement, that is Harris/Biden supporting BLM/Antifa/Anarchy. Trying to change the subject isn't going to help you.
Old 8th October 2020, 09:43 PM   #55
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

What a joke! One of Trump’s top advisors, Miller, has already come out blaming Governor Whitmer for the planned attack! That’s right! No denunciation of the militia by Trump or his cronies so far of a treasonous plan to kidnap a Governor and take over the government of a State!

And some here are looking for evidence that the militia supported the a Trump administration? How about proof of the opposite, that the a Trump administration supported the militia? If you look a bit further back this is not even the first time they have publicly done so.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 09:45 PM   #56
elemental
Scholar

Originally Posted by Venom View Post

Yep. And the Bundys, the Hammonds.
elemental is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 09:49 PM   #57
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

No one can see Trump's rant against lawsuits against him and his associates and honestly think he is on the side of the Law.
Old 8th October 2020, 09:49 PM   #58
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
What a joke! One of Trump’s top advisors, Miller, has already come out blaming Governor Whitmer for the planned attack! That’s right! No denunciation of the militia by Trump or his cronies so far of a treasonous plan to kidnap a Governor and take over the government of a State!

And some here are looking for evidence that the militia supported the a Trump administration? How about proof of the opposite, that the a Trump administration supported the militia? If you look a bit further back this is not even the first time they have publicly done so.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-...idnapping-plot

"Miller was interviewed on Fox News and promptly said that it was a “horrendous thing” for any elected official to be targeted by a crime of this nature.

“I’m happy we have such good law enforcement. We stand by the law enforcement and all of the investigators to make sure that they are able to stop things like this,” he added before pivoting to Whitmer’s stern rebuke of Trump.

“These are some pretty shameful comments here from Governor Whitmer, because how can you even go from a moment of unity to attacking President Trump, I thought was just completely ridiculous,” he exclaimed. “If we want to talk about hatred—then Governor Whitmer, go look in the mirror! I mean, the fact that she wakes up every day with such hatred in her heart towards President Trump.”

Now can I get a cite of him blaming Whitmer for the planned attack? Because this is all I found when I went looking.
Old 8th October 2020, 09:51 PM   #59
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

No one can see Trump's rant against lawsuits against him and his associates and honestly think he is on the side of the Law.

Is that all you can come up with in defense of trying to associate these goons with Trump who we know they hate?
Old 8th October 2020, 10:20 PM   #60
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Is that all you can come up with in defense of trying to associate these goons with Trump who we know they hate?
I'll leave that to the investigators.

I gather you bet that there will be more Antifa than MAGA paraphanelia in their homes?
That they will be Democrats, not Republicans?
Old 8th October 2020, 10:21 PM   #61
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-...idnapping-plot

"Miller was interviewed on Fox News and promptly said that it was a “horrendous thing” for any elected official to be targeted by a crime of this nature.

“I’m happy we have such good law enforcement. We stand by the law enforcement and all of the investigators to make sure that they are able to stop things like this,” he added before pivoting to Whitmer’s stern rebuke of Trump.

“These are some pretty shameful comments here from Governor Whitmer, because how can you even go from a moment of unity to attacking President Trump, I thought was just completely ridiculous,” he exclaimed. “If we want to talk about hatred—then Governor Whitmer, go look in the mirror! I mean, the fact that she wakes up every day with such hatred in her heart towards President Trump.”

Now can I get a cite of him blaming Whitmer for the planned attack? Because this is all I found when I went looking.
What’s the moment of unity to which he refers? Where exactly did he question the militia? Wasn’t the Governor’s “attack” on Trump a criticism of Trump’s actions relative to covid-19? Was it attacking Trump’s right to run the government and urging active rebellion?

Whereas Trump has made repeated attempts to delegitimize the Governor’s rule of law. On the very same day the plot against her was revealed.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/tr...led-2020-10-08

Does that sound think an attempt to discourage militia? Does a reveal of treason and kidnapping forb”a trial” sound to you like the core response of the Trump’s administration should be an attack on the planned victim? If so that is royally screwed up thinking! And apparently having the Feds stop such an attack requires Trump be thanked for his generosity!

Last edited by Giordano; 8th October 2020 at 10:27 PM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 10:28 PM   #62
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

What’s the moment of unity to which he refers? Where exactly did he question the militia? Wasn’t the Governor’s “attack” on Trump a criticism of Trump’s actions relative to covid-19? Was it attacking Trump’s right to run the government and urging active rebellion?

Whereas Trump has made repeated attempts to delegitimize the Governor’s rule of law. On the very same day the plot against her was revealed.

Does that sound think an attempt to discourage militia? Does a reveal of treason and kidnapping forb”a trial” sound to you like the core response of the Trump’s administration should be an attack on the planned victim?n And apparently having the Feds stop such an attack requires Trump be thanked for his generosity!

No, no, no, I want to get to the bottom of this

"Miller, has already come out blaming Governor Whitmer for the planned attack!"

I want you to back that statement up, or admit it was a straight up lie.
Old 8th October 2020, 10:30 PM   #63
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

I'll leave that to the investigators.

I gather you bet that there will be more Antifa than MAGA paraphanelia in their homes?
That they will be Democrats, not Republicans?
No clue, but at the moment we have anarchist flag, anti law enforcement, and Trump is a tyrant. So, it's not looking good for the CHAZ side of the ledger.
Old 8th October 2020, 10:30 PM   #64
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

And let’s just move back to May to find a cozy mutual love fest between trump and elements of the militia movement in general:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/05/opini...fer/index.html

And how’s this in terms of the Trump administration’s views on militia?

"These are very good people, but they are angry. They want their lives back again, safely! See them, talk to them, make a deal," Trump said in a May 1 tweet.

Last edited by Giordano; 8th October 2020 at 10:35 PM.
Old 8th October 2020, 10:35 PM   #65
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Does that sound think an attempt to discourage militia? Does a reveal of treason and kidnapping forb”a trial” sound to you like the core response of the Trump’s administration should be an attack on the planned victim? If so that is royally screwed up thinking! And apparently having the Feds stop such an attack requires Trump be thanked for his generosity!
I hope people click on that link and see how unhinged your interpretation of it is. By the way the ones who delegitimized Whitmer's rule of law was the Supreme Court. Take it up with them.
Old 8th October 2020, 10:41 PM   #66
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

No clue, but at the moment we have anarchist flag, anti law enforcement, and Trump is a tyrant. So, it's not looking good for the CHAZ side of the ledger.
This has nothing to do with the “CHAZ side.” It has to do with an attempt to kidnap and try a Governor of the USA and violently take over the government. To repeat:

Does a reveal of treason and kidnapping for ”a trial” sound to you like the core response of the Trump’s administration should be an attack on the planned victim?

If so, something is deeply screwed up with that kind of thinking.
Old 8th October 2020, 10:45 PM   #67
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

And let’s just move back to May to find a cozy mutual love fest between trump and elements of the militia movement in general:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/05/opini...fer/index.html

And how’s this in terms of the Trump administration’s views on militia?

"These are very good people, but they are angry. They want their lives back again, safely! See them, talk to them, make a deal," Trump said in a May 1 tweet.
Since you stated

'Miller, has already come out blaming Governor Whitmer for the planned attack!"

and now have refused to back it up with ANY evidence, I don't think it's appropriate for me to have to wade through your ridiculous interpretations of a protest attended by thousands of Trump supporters because of a few turds in the punch bowl. After all, no one here has a problem with the turds at BLM and Antifa protests. It's not reflective of the whole I'm told.
Old 8th October 2020, 10:47 PM   #68
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

This has nothing to do with the “CHAZ side.” It has to do with an attempt to kidnap and try a Governor of the USA and violently take over the government. To repeat:

Does a reveal of treason and kidnapping for ”a trial” sound to you like the core response of the Trump’s administration should be an attack on the planned victim?

If so, something is deeply screwed up with that kind of thinking.
"Miller, has already come out blaming Governor Whitmer for the planned attack!"

I think the one with screwed up kind of thinking are the ones who make outrageous claims, fail to back them up, and expect to be taken serious.
Old 8th October 2020, 10:50 PM   #69
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

This has nothing to do with the “CHAZ side.” SNIP
It most certainly does. The left has attacked law enforcement for months on end. The CHAZ was an autonomous zone free of law enforcement. These guys are anti Trump, Anti law enforcement. Just like The CHAZ. Don't get mad when supporting anarchy bites you on the ass.
Old 8th October 2020, 10:52 PM   #70
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Since you stated

'Miller, has already come out blaming Governor Whitmer for the planned attack!"

and now have refused to back it up with ANY evidence, I don't think it's appropriate for me to have to wade through your ridiculous interpretations of a protest attended by thousands of Trump supporters because of a few turds in the punch bowl. After all, no one here has a problem with the turds at BLM and Antifa protests. It's not reflective of the whole I'm told.
https://www.freep.com/story/news/pol...er/5927705002/
Quote:
How you can go from a moment of unity to attacking President Trump I thought was just completely ridiculous. I mean if we want to talk about hatred, then Gov. Whitmer, go look in the mirror. The fact that she wakes up every day with such hatred in her heart toward President Trump; I mean, President Trump is the one out there condemning these radical groups, whether they be on the right or they be on the left
Jason Miller, Trump advisor and one of the turds in the punch bowl.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 10:52 PM   #71
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Not a full set of teeth nor a dozen brain cells among the lot of them.

That is, Trump supporters.
But at least they have been well fed.
Old 8th October 2020, 10:53 PM   #72
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

I hope people click on that link and see how unhinged your interpretation of it is. By the way the ones who delegitimized Whitmer's rule of law was the Supreme Court. Take it up with them.
I too encourage people to click on that link. And more so I encourage you yourself do so. And to think about it. Carefully and deeply.

Yes, the State Supreme Court overruled actions taken by the Governor; unfortunate but following the rule of law. I believe it had a disturbing effect on the infection rate that I will need tp confirm. But not quite the same concept as piling a bunch of armed men into the State Capitol, even though apparently somehow oddly legal under state law.

Im done with this alternative reality for now. It is late here.
Old 8th October 2020, 10:54 PM   #73
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Considering one of their leaders arrested is on video saying Trump is not your friend with an anarchist flag on is wall, I'm going to have to disagree.
No, no. One of their members. You're throwing in the "leader" part yourself there, chief.

Another one of their members is on video wearing a Trump 2020 hat and saying "I hope this triggers" people who complain about Trump.

Last edited by Checkmite; 8th October 2020 at 10:55 PM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 10:59 PM   #74
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
But at least they have been well fed.
Slurpees have vitamins??
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 11:10 PM   #75
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

No clue, but at the moment we have anarchist flag, anti law enforcement,...
That flag is used by right-wing Christian Anarchists, i.e. religious bigots. The "A" is not for Antifa, but the opposite. These people want to defy the law and quite literally burn the place to the ground because that's what Jesus would do.

https://sojo.net/magazine/february-2...ian-anarchists

Quote:
... and Trump is a tyrant. So, it's not looking good for the CHAZ side of the ledger.
Which he sees as a good thing, not a bad thing.
Old 8th October 2020, 11:13 PM   #76
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

It most certainly does. The left has attacked law enforcement for months on end. The CHAZ was an autonomous zone free of law enforcement. These guys are anti Trump, Anti law enforcement. Just like The CHAZ. Don't get mad when supporting anarchy bites you on the ass.
One more thing.. Check out a map! You seem to have confused states.

But I am in favor of prosecuting all illegal acts. As I always ask the “they do it: if you think something is wrong then isn’t it wrong for everyone?

What about all the evidence provided upthread that most Michigan militias support Trump and vis-versa? We will need to know more about this particular group but you appear to think they are exceptions, even though their public positions about the governor’s policies appear to fit hand in glove with Trump’s. Okay, we will find out.

And after much delay, Trump announces that he is against “extreme” violence of ay kind. Is mild violence okay? And he can’t even do that without bringing up Antifa like you do. Wouldn’t the correct response to a treasonous act be denouncing that act, rather than attempting to mitigate it by bringing in other groups and the victim’s perfectly legal views on health policy and on Trump’s actions? Trump and Miller’s statements are those made by defense attorneys prior to sentencing,not condemnations of the militis’s actions.

Ok, gotta sign off.

Last edited by Giordano; 8th October 2020 at 11:16 PM.
Old 8th October 2020, 11:23 PM   #77
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

ON some level, I'm all for Trump bringing these nutjobs out of the woodwork: just as with the KKK, the more violence they plan and perpetrate, the easier it will be to cripple them through public opinion, new laws and law enforcement actions.

They are no longer "hiding their power level".
Old 8th October 2020, 11:32 PM   #78
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Oh gee whiz!

These fellows have to be about the most stupid individuals in the world. After all, there is no way that a mere six people could somehow fight the entire state of Michigan and win.
They watch movies like Red Dawn and think they're historical documentaries.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 11:39 PM   #79
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

That flag is used by right-wing Christian Anarchists, i.e. religious bigots. The "A" is not for Antifa, but the opposite. These people want to defy the law and quite literally burn the place to the ground because that's what Jesus would do.

https://sojo.net/magazine/february-2...ian-anarchists

Which he sees as a good thing, not a bad thing.

I notice you edited out the

"Trump is not your friend" to make your point, pretty dishonest.
Old 8th October 2020, 11:46 PM   #80
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
No, no. One of their members. You're throwing in the "leader" part yourself there, chief.

Another one of their members is on video wearing a Trump 2020 hat and saying "I hope this triggers" people who complain about Trump.
As new info comes out buddy, it's less than 24 hours since the arrest. Although I fail to see how a group of terrorists with Trump lovers and Trump haters can be attributed to..........Trump.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics