ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Gretchen Whitmer , Michigan incidents , militia incidents

Old 9th October 2020, 03:20 AM   #121
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Except that he did.
Where?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 03:24 AM   #122
AnonyMoose
Muse

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
It's insane that the president is attacking an elected official who is the victim of a kidnapping/murder plot hatched by his supporters.
In Trumpland, this is known as "Friday".
Old 9th October 2020, 03:44 AM   #123
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Where?
Twitter, for one.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 03:46 AM   #124
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

so, from pipe-bombing Trump's opponents to kidnapping and mock-trial executing them ...

that's normal, right?
Old 9th October 2020, 04:16 AM   #125
AnonyMoose
Muse

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
so, from pipe-bombing Trump's opponents to kidnapping and mock-trial executing them ...

that's normal, right?

Apparently, yes.

Totally normal, perfectly okay, and stably genius.
Old 9th October 2020, 04:19 AM   #126
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Quote:
I interviewed William Null, one of the men arrested in the plot to kidnap Gov. Whitmer, on June 27 in Allendale at a protest over a Civil War statue.

“We’re peaceful,” Null told me. “We’ve never harmed anyone. Groups like (BLM) have.”
https://twitter.com/samueljrob/statu...78682912342017

Well now I'm just confused, is antifa the real terrorists here? I am absolutely shocked that someone protesting the removal of confederate propaganda would advocate violence against the state.

Seems like these CHUDs were regulars at anti-mask and other anti-gov demonstrations. Should only be a matter of time before more such interviews and associations become public knowledge. Already seeing pictures of them heavily armed at the state house during 2A demonstrations.

https://twitter.com/HeatherCatallo/s...19009563774976

Associating with terrorists to trigger the libs, neato.

Any of our would be murderers a confirmed Ben Shapiro fan yet?

Edit: Brandon Caserta's YouTube page showed him subscribed to Shapiro's show.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 9th October 2020 at 04:40 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 04:37 AM   #127
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Whoopsie, attempted terrorist chumming it up with Charlie Kirk of TPUSA, notorious antifa outlet.

https://twitter.com/DLamontJenkins/s...02683936268288

Brandon Caserta's facebook page is chock full of conservative memes, including those praising Kyle Rittenhouse's multiple killing of BLM protestors.

https://twitter.com/josh_emerson/sta...34661820825609

Still unclear whether they are antifa or not

ETA: Leader of the group goes by the name "Boogaloo Bunyan." Anyone who keeps claiming these terrorists aren't right wing is just arguing in bad faith now. Boogaloo types have already been arrested in other conspiracies to commit acts of terrorism, often using BLM protests as a convenient venue to do so. A Boogaloo type was also arrested committing an ambush murder on a federal guard. It's an explicitly right wing, anti-gov, and violent action based ideology.

https://twitter.com/nickmartin/statu...96422926229504

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 9th October 2020 at 05:03 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 05:27 AM   #128
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TahiniBinShawarma View Post
Regarding "stand down stand by." When that question was asked, Chris Wallace said "stand down" and Trump followed suit and repeated him with the added words "stand by." I think those on the left are so unhinged that they read way more into it without context. I didn't believe then or now that Trump wasn't just saying what he thought Wallace wanted him to say in his little challenge, but whatevs.
Wallace said "stand down". Trump said "stand back, stand by", neither of which are the same thing.

But I certainly accept as credible your explanation that Trump is simply unable to speak a coherent sentence which uses words he intends to use and understands the meaning of.
Old 9th October 2020, 05:30 AM   #129
rockysmith76
Banned

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Wallace said "stand down". Trump said "stand back, stand by", neither of which are the same thing.

But I certainly accept as credible your explanation that Trump is simply unable to speak a coherent sentence which uses words he intends to use and understands the meaning of.
difference voice in his head for each day of the week
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 05:48 AM   #130
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

If it helps:

FBI charges six who it says plotted to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, as seven more who wanted to ignite civil war face state charges

Quote:
A Twitter account that appears to belong to Croft was last used in 2019, when he posted angrily about being kicked off Facebook for violating its community standards. “Fascistbook hard at work protecting People who abuse children,” he wrote on June 8 of that year.

According to the Twitter account, Croft was at least formerly a Trump supporter. “Standing with Trump!” he tweeted on Valentine’s Day in 2017. He also tweeted a criticism of liberals that year, writing what appears to be a mock definition: “Liberal: n. - 1. A spineless, jellyfish like creature, that goes wherever the current pushes them 2. A person with no moral compass.”
Old 9th October 2020, 05:51 AM   #131
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Regarding "stand down stand by." When that question was asked, Chris Wallace said "stand down" and Trump followed suit and repeated him with the added words "stand by." I think those on the left are so unhinged that they read way more into it without context. I didn't believe then or now that Trump wasn't just saying what he thought Wallace wanted him to say in his little challenge, but whatevs.

Why do you think only your vaguely articulated “the left” are the only ones to object to what Trump said?
Old 9th October 2020, 05:53 AM   #132
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
How extreme does it need to get before he condemns it?

Well we know bashing innocent people’s heads into car roofs isn’t extreme!
Old 9th October 2020, 06:14 AM   #133
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Quite the gish gallop. These people are anti law enforcement and anarchists. Trump is not anti law enforcement, that is Harris/Biden supporting BLM/Antifa/Anarchy. Trying to change the subject isn't going to help you.
I seem to recall your boy tweeting "Liberate Michigan" after these zombies showed up. The MI state AG has come out and stated that some of the individuals involved then appear to be from the same group. She also observed that in smaller jurisdictions they have seen local law enforcement join forces with these people. It's not all law enforcement these bright stars oppose, it's anything with jooz or libdems, like the "Deep State" FBI/CIA/DoD/NSA.

Just look at these fine individuals (below). Like many Trumpsters here, totally unaware of SCOTUS precedent:
Quote:
While a local regulation, even if based on the acknowledged police power of a State, must always yield in case of conflict with the exercise by the General Government of any power it possesses under the Constitution, the mode or manner of exercising its police power is wholly within the discretion of the State so long as the Constitution of the United States is not contravened, or any right granted or secured thereby is not infringed, or not exercised in such an arbitrary and oppressive manner as to justify the interference of the courts to prevent wrong and oppression.

The liberty secured by the Constitution of the United States does not import an absolute right in each person to be at all times, and in all circumstances, wholly freed from restraint, nor is it an element in such liberty that one person, or a minority of persons residing in any community and enjoying the benefits of its local government, should have power to dominate the majority when supported in their action by the authority of the State.

It is within the police power of a State to enact a compulsory vaccination mask law, and it is for the legislature, and not for the courts, to determine in the first instance whether vaccination is or is masks are or are not the best mode for the prevention of smallpox Covid-19 and the protection of the public health.
You fellers be confusin' the freedom to go wilding with protected liberties. Time to put down the stone axes, boys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yank-offs.jpg (62.5 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Hlafordlaes; 9th October 2020 at 06:16 AM.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 06:17 AM   #134
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Does anyone else recall the days when the US was regarded as the leader of the free world?
*Scoffs* No.

Trump's been an absolute nightmare for the United State's public image but let's not rewrite history here, it's been far more of the "Aha Trump just prove that America is as bad as we always suspected they were" then some sort of actual revelation driving an actual change of opinion.
Old 9th October 2020, 06:18 AM   #135
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Take it from a trained linguist, no. You do not get to create your own semantic reality and then pretend there are shared meanings. That's crackpot territory.
Old 9th October 2020, 06:23 AM   #136
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump said something after the "stand down stand by", which makes his statement completely unambigious.

Context matters.
Old 9th October 2020, 06:24 AM   #137
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

He's not running on an anti-cop platform.
When cops = government you are officially a police state.

The desire on the part of Trump supporters to replace traditional US government with a police state can reasonably be called anti-government IMO.
Old 9th October 2020, 06:25 AM   #138
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Wasn't the whole selling point of Trump that he "speaks his mind?"

Why the **** then does an army of trolls and apologist have to interpret his dumb ass like he's the Oracle at Delphi?
Old 9th October 2020, 06:29 AM   #139
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

Why the **** then does an army of trolls and apologist have to interpret his dumb ass like he's the Oracle at Delphi?
because his mind is literally a kaleidoscope.
Old 9th October 2020, 06:38 AM   #140
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Seems to me it's a mish mash of deranged lunatics rather than a coherent ideology.
IOW Republicans...
Old 9th October 2020, 06:44 AM   #141
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

because his mind is literally a kaleidoscope.
Trump's mind is literally an inanimate object that extrapolates a complex pattern from a sliver of random visual noise?

...okay, I can see that.
Old 9th October 2020, 06:51 AM   #142
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post

ETA: Leader of the group goes by the name "Boogaloo Bunyan." Anyone who keeps claiming these terrorists aren't right wing is just arguing in bad faith now. Boogaloo types have already been arrested in other conspiracies to commit acts of terrorism, often using BLM protests as a convenient venue to do so. A Boogaloo type was also arrested committing an ambush murder on a federal guard. It's an explicitly right wing, anti-gov, and violent action based ideology.
Now? They always were. Given the target, details of the plan and agenda they were clearly right wing and Trump inspired. Baring some evidence to the contrary this was always the reasonable conclusion.

The people arguing otherwise are notable for not basing their opinions on evidence and for rarely providing evidence to support their position.
Old 9th October 2020, 07:07 AM   #143
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
I think it better shows the dangers of overreaching your Constitutional powers.

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-go...ergency-powers

"Michigan Supreme Court rules Whitmer lacks COVID-19 emergency powers"

When she lost in Michigan Supreme Court that should have been the end of it. Unless she refused to abide by the Court's ruling then she should have been removed from office by the people.

There are many ways to remove a Governor from power though. Ridiculous that anyone would even consider "kidnapping" a Government Official.
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” August 14, 2017 President Donald John Trump

Last edited by ChrisBFRPKY; 9th October 2020 at 07:08 AM. Reason: clarity
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 07:10 AM   #144
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yes truly "OMG mean lady wants me to wear a mask" certainly is the kind of totalitarianism that requires us to refresh the tree of liberty with the blood of tyrants and patriots.
Old 9th October 2020, 07:30 AM   #145
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Yes truly "OMG mean lady wants me to wear a mask" certainly is the kind of totalitarianism that requires us to refresh the tree of liberty with the blood of tyrants and patriots.
Idiot snowflakes that believe freedom means you can do whatever you want, whenever you want, regardless of who you might endanger. This includes kidnapping it seems, but as we've seen, these witless, neck-bearded sov-cit types are not averse to murder, or even mass murder. That these geniuses were caught before they could act indicates they are not nearly as smart as they thought they were, which is obvious when you see their mug-shots. I'll not acquiesce constitutional interpretation to unemployed incel nitwits with their fee-fees hurt.

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 07:36 AM   #146
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It sucks because the true and honest virtues of "Freedom" and "Liberty" are things that I believe in very deeply and truly and I hate, hate, HATE that they've been turned almost into jokes at best, vaguely threatening concepts at worst, by the "I'm going to poke myself in the eye with a sharp stick just because who the hell do you think you are to tell me I shouldn't?" crowd.
Old 9th October 2020, 07:41 AM   #147
Monza
Alta Viro

Trump said something after the "stand down stand by", which makes his statement completely unambigious.

Context matters.

Let's face it, when Trump wants to condemn someone he does it immediately and unambiguously. It's only when he is pushed on Putin, David Duke, white supremacists that he stumbles around and gives a vague non-response.
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 08:18 AM   #148
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Popcorn?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 10:51 AM   #149
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
I think it better shows the dangers of overreaching your Constitutional powers.

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-go...ergency-powers

"Michigan Supreme Court rules Whitmer lacks COVID-19 emergency powers"

When she lost in Michigan Supreme Court that should have been the end of it.
That seems like it should be the start of it. After having violated the Constitutional rights of millions of michigan citizens, then it is time for punishment.

Her illegal orders are millions of violations. I don't see why her sentence would have to be served concurrently. State prison for the rest of her natural life seems reasonable.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 9th October 2020 at 10:55 AM.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 11:06 AM   #150
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
That seems like it should be the start of it. After having violated the Constitutional rights of millions of michigan citizens, then it is time for punishment.

Her illegal orders are millions of violations. I don't see why her sentence would have to be served concurrently. State prison for the rest of her natural life seems reasonable.
so the militia guys were right?

Give me a break: no US court would have sentenced Whitmer, and if it had, the remedy would have already happened, i.e. undoing her order.

The remedy is political, not judicial, and certainly not mass murder.
Old 9th October 2020, 11:07 AM   #151
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

You can laugh all you want. Regardless of your (and Harris) crusade for poor criminals, most sane people are against groups like this.

By the way, have you (or Harris) cited the laws against "protesting" that people were getting arrested for, which necessitated them getting bailed out of jail? And necessitated donations?
Ah, yes...this old right wing chestnut: crusade for poor criminals.

As usual, you and your ilk misrepresent what the MFF is all about. It's not about helping "criminals" at all. It's about a system that treats the those accused of crimes who are poor unfairly. Many poor people sit in jail simply because they cannot come up with the cash to meet bail while more affluent people can bail out. Most of these people are of color. And most sane people recognize the inherent unfairness of this.

What laws they violated are irrelevant when it comes to the MFF. But a lot of them were non-violent such as breaking curfew as they continued their peaceful protest.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 11:12 AM   #152
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, good lord. She did not commit a criminal offence.

Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 11:19 AM   #153
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

so the militia guys were right?

Give me a break: no US court would have sentenced Whitmer, and if it had, the remedy would have already happened, i.e. undoing her order.

The remedy is political, not judicial, and certainly not mass murder.
The courts are part of the system that will not punish a person for violating your rights. It isn't in their interest to do so.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 9th October 2020 at 11:22 AM.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 11:21 AM   #154
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Oh, good lord. She did not commit a criminal offence.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...0a7fb2c646.jpg
You mean the government did not pass a law that allows for punishment of government officials for violating a person's rights?

Shocking
Old 9th October 2020, 11:25 AM   #155
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

And the rhetoric against police by liberal politicians makes lunatics on the left riot.

Glad you admit Trump doesn't approve.
Really? Please quote liberal politicians' rhetoric against police that is causing left wing groups to riot.

I love your use of the word 'admit' as it implies I had said otherwise, which I never had. Nice touch. Dishonest, but still a nice touch.
Old 9th October 2020, 11:34 AM   #156
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The courts are part of the system that will not punish a person for violating your rights. It isn't in their interest to do so.
so you think the Wolverine Wonks had a moral right to take the law into their own hands?
Old 9th October 2020, 11:34 AM   #157
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Still nothing about Trump. Passing strange.
Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
If it helps:

Quote:
A Twitter account that appears to belong to Croft was last used in 2019, when he posted angrily about being kicked off Facebook for violating its community standards. “Fascistbook hard at work protecting People who abuse children,” he wrote on June 8 of that year.

Quote:
According to the Twitter account, Croft was at least formerly a Trump supporter. “Standing with Trump!” he tweeted on Valentine’s Day in 2017. He also tweeted a criticism of liberals that year, writing what appears to be a mock definition: “Liberal: n. - 1. A spineless, jellyfish like creature, that goes wherever the current pushes them 2. A person with no moral compass.”
FBI charges six who it says plotted to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, as seven more who wanted to ignite civil war face state charges
Yes, Upchurch, it does. Thank you. Zig may not make the connection to QAnon but as someone else once put it, most people can see that 1+1=2 but some see 1+1=a potato
Old 9th October 2020, 11:48 AM   #158
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

You mean the government did not pass a law that allows for punishment of government officials for violating a person's rights?

Shocking
You know, you might want to stop and think about just how nonsensical* it is to declare that a SC ruling against a governor's authority should lead to criminal charges.

*And I'm being very polite in my wording here.

ETA: Oh, dear. I just realized we're being bobbed. Mea culpa.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 9th October 2020 at 11:51 AM.
Old 9th October 2020, 11:49 AM   #159
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

so you think the Wolverine Wonks had a moral right to take the law into their own hands?
Only proportional to the violation. So maybe each Michigander is only entitled to like 3.5 minutes of detention.
Old 9th October 2020, 11:52 AM   #160
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
You know, you might want to stop and think about just how nonsensical* it is to declare that a SC ruling against a governor's authority should lead to criminal charges.

*And I'm being very polite in my wording here.
It is a legal finding that the person violated the very document they swore an oath to protect. Heck yes that should be punishable.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics