ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Gretchen Whitmer , Michigan incidents , militia incidents

Old 9th October 2020, 12:05 PM   #161
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Oh, dear. I just realized we're being bobbed. Mea culpa.
Yeah the problem is "we" are the country and "Bob" is ~40% of the electorate.
Old 9th October 2020, 12:06 PM   #162
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
It is a legal finding that the person violated the very document they swore an oath to protect. Heck yes that should be punishable.

In the past, you have repeatedly stated that such a decision should be left up to the voters at the next election.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 12:06 PM   #163
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Only proportional to the violation. So maybe each Michigander is only entitled to like 3.5 minutes of detention.
And what legitimizes the Wolverines to be the ones meet out the verdict and punishment?
Old 9th October 2020, 12:07 PM   #164
sackett
Philosopher

I just felt a breeze

It is a legal finding that the person violated the very document they swore an oath to protect. Heck yes that should be punishable.
Yeah, well Gretch the Guv just gave a speech warning the goons about what'll happen to them if they want to try it on again. She wore her black leather fightin' gear, and it's striking how happy she looks. I think that woman positively enjoys a scrap.

You'd earn your nickname if you ever get in the ring with Whippin' Whitmer.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 12:09 PM   #165
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Yeah the problem is "we" are the country and "Bob" is ~40% of the electorate.
Do you think I'm a trump supporter even though I haven't voted for him and won't vote for him?

Libertarians are not Trump supporters. The whole notion of ,"only I can fix it" is anathema to libertarians.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 12:12 PM   #166
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

How did I guess that the response from the usual suspects would be "but but what about..."
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 12:13 PM   #167
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
And what legitimizes the Wolverines to be the ones meet out the verdict and punishment?
Things I see as axiomatic that you do not. So no real point in debating it
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 12:13 PM   #168
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

just like there is not real existing communism, there is no real existing libertarianism.

It's not a stable form of social interaction.
Old 9th October 2020, 12:14 PM   #169
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

You guys are going down the bob hole........
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 12:15 PM   #170
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
You guys are going down the bob hole........
yeah, but I didn't know that the hole was full of militias given the right to be judge, jury and executioners.
Old 9th October 2020, 12:15 PM   #171
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think Bob is a Trump supporter. He just likes saying bizarre things that takes the conversation off on a nonsensical tangent. There is a reason we call it being "bobbed".

Don't allow it to happen to you.
Old 9th October 2020, 12:15 PM   #172
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
just like there is not real existing communism, there is no real existing libertarianism.

It's not a stable form of social interaction.
Not a negative as far as I am concerned.
Old 9th October 2020, 12:17 PM   #173
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I don't think Bob is a Trump supporter.
Which makes him no different from all the other "Not a Trump supporter" Trump supporters.

Like I've said multiples times in politics there is zero difference between support and running apologetic interference for.
Old 9th October 2020, 12:18 PM   #174
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think Bob is a Trump supporter. He just likes saying bizarre things that takes the conversation off on a nonsensical tangent. There is a reason we call it being "bobbed".

Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 12:25 PM   #175
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Which makes him no different from all the other "Not a Trump supporter" Trump supporters.

Like I've said multiples times in politics there is zero difference between support and running apologetic interference for.
You must understand his motives by now. I personally refuse to engage him on any subject. I just know if I do, it will turn into a sophmoric hay ride.
Old 9th October 2020, 12:25 PM   #176
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

90% correct. But I didn't have anything to say until someone said that a court ruling that the governor had violated the constitution and that should be the end of it.

I realize I'm the only one that thinks that is bizarre, but I honestly think it is crazy that such a finding is the end of it rather than the beginning.
Old 9th October 2020, 12:49 PM   #177
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

You must understand his motives by now. I personally refuse to engage him on any subject. I just know if I do, it will turn into a sophmoric hay ride.
Are you the hay or the sophomore in this ride?

- asking for a friend.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 12:50 PM   #178
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TahiniBinShawarma View Post
Considering one of their leaders arrested is on video saying Trump is not your friend with an anarchist flag on is wall, I'm going to have to disagree.

He says Trump is "a tyrant" & calls President Trump an "enemy". He actually sounds like he's buddies with the majority of people in this thread.

Are you people suggesting these crackpots were inspired by Trump who they hate?
Right , and people in this thread are okay with kidnapping Democratic politicians and committing terrorist bombings.

*Sigh*

I'm saying these crackpots, regardless of the fine (or not so fine) distinctions between them, tend to inhabit similar circles and overlap in important areas. Like 2nd Amendment rallies; some of them don't recognize the legitimacy of the federal government, so why bother "standing up for" your rights in that setting? But some of the militiamen did attended these rallies.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 12:53 PM   #179
Venom
Illuminator

Seems to me it's a mish mash of deranged lunatics rather than a coherent ideology.
Well yeah. That's the point.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 12:55 PM   #180
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

*Sighs* Fine. We'll ignore Bob and wait for all the sane, rational Trump supporters that exist someone to show up and have a discourse.
Old 9th October 2020, 01:02 PM   #181
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Look, these guys cannot be Trump supporters, because Trump only attracts the best Americans, and these guys failed, so they are not the best, so they cannot possibly be Trump supporters.

Just because your president implicitly claimed she was an enemy of the people and has also implicitly claimed people need to take up arms against their oppressors and has implicitly supported militias taking the law into their own hand doesn't mean he's to blame for anything people do.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 01:03 PM   #182
Venom
Illuminator

I don't even mean to say Trump caused this, but apparently that's what we are supposed to scrutinize right now based on the pushback we're getting in this thread.

I'm not particularly interested to know the exact political ideology of each of the participants in this case. I just know from experience that these sovereign-citizen, extreme libertarian, anarchist whatever you wanna call 'em types share many of the same spaces with hardcore rural Trump supporters.
Old 9th October 2020, 01:06 PM   #183
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Well that's because this is the internet and "Oh my God we have to make sure everyone is properly labeled" is really, really, really, important to a lot of people for some reason.

I don't care if they were left, right, libertarian, or post-modern neo-liberal archofacscit reformed with sprinkles.

Hell like I said Trump's political party is "Troll" more than anything. And his conspiracy spewing nonsense about "The Deep State" and a "Rigged election" is dangerous and this incident proves it.
Old 9th October 2020, 01:07 PM   #184
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Barry County Sheriff Dar Leaf says it could be considered as a"citizen's arrest."under Michigan law someone considered to haver committed a felony can be detained if they inform the person they intend to arrest and the reason why.

https://www.fox17online.com/news/loc...eriff-at-rally
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 01:07 PM   #185
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

No clue, but at the moment we have anarchist flag, anti law enforcement, and Trump is a tyrant. So, it's not looking good for the CHAZ side of the ledger.
William Null attended a rally in May and shared the stage with a local sheriff.

That same sheriff defended Null’s attempt to kidnap the governor.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kir...outputType=amp

Doesn’t sound very “anti law enforcement” to me.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 01:09 PM   #186
johnny karate

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Barry County Sheriff Dar Leaf says it could be considered as a"citizen's arrest."under Michigan law someone considered to haver committed a felony can be detained if they inform the person they intend to arrest and the reason why.

Yeah, nothing says “I’m anti law enforcement” like being buddy-buddy with your local sheriff.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 01:10 PM   #187
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Quote:
That's ******* great. But since these mouth-breathers were planning their own trial and execution it has nothing to do with anything.
Old 9th October 2020, 01:14 PM   #188
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Right , and people in this thread are okay with kidnapping Democratic politicians and committing terrorist bombings.

*Sigh*

I'm saying these crackpots, regardless of the fine (or not so fine) distinctions between them, tend to inhabit similar circles and overlap in important areas. Like 2nd Amendment rallies; some of them don't recognize the legitimacy of the federal government, so why bother "standing up for" your rights in that setting? But some of the militiamen did attended these rallies.
And one of the militia members reported the plot. And the plot started taking shape before the rallies. If you don't want a few bad apples spoiling the BLM/Antifa crowd................
TahiniBinShawarma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 01:14 PM   #189
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Michigan's governor was kept updated about a plot to abduct her and was moved around as the FBI tracked her would-be kidnappers, the US state's attorney general has revealed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54482846
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 01:16 PM   #190
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Conversations on this forum don't change anything for anybody, so I don't think anything said here ends up supporting anything.
Old 9th October 2020, 01:28 PM   #191
johnny karate

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
So still no actual evidence that these people supported Trump? Yeah, that's what I expected.
Zig, will you be acknowledging the evidence that has been provided both before and after the above post?

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...6#post13252376

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=131
Old 9th October 2020, 01:28 PM   #192
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Michigan's governor was kept updated about a plot to abduct her and was moved around as the FBI tracked her would-be kidnappers, the US state's attorney general has revealed.

Bat **** crazy stuff, for sure. No moral or statistical equivalence with anything except on the far-far-far-so-far left (not the "far left", which is just, erm, the same old left).

Last edited by Hlafordlaes; 9th October 2020 at 01:29 PM.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 01:30 PM   #193
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

As noted Zigg fancies himself the slick mob lawyer, telling the jury that this client never said he would burn down their store if they didn't pay his client the protection money, only that his client said it was such a nice shop he had there, shame if anything happened to it.

Problem is people with enough brain cells to rub together to fire off a neuron can see through that kind of obvious ploy and Trump isn't even that subtle about it.
Old 9th October 2020, 01:39 PM   #194
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Zig, will you be acknowledging the evidence that has been provided both before and after the above post?

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...6#post13252376

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=131
And this one:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...7#post13252447

ETA: And this one, too:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...1#post13253111

Last edited by Stacyhs; 9th October 2020 at 03:09 PM.
Old 9th October 2020, 01:40 PM   #195
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I don't even mean to say Trump caused this, but apparently that's what we are supposed to scrutinize right now based on the pushback we're getting in this thread.

I'm not particularly interested to know the exact political ideology of each of the participants in this case. I just know from experience that these sovereign-citizen, extreme libertarian, anarchist whatever you wanna call 'em types share many of the same spaces with hardcore rural Trump supporters.
Well that's because this is the internet and "Oh my God we have to make sure everyone is properly labeled" is really, really, really, important to a lot of people for some reason.

I don't care if they were left, right, libertarian, or post-modern neo-liberal archofacscit reformed with sprinkles.

Hell like I said Trump's political party is "Troll" more than anything. And his conspiracy spewing nonsense about "The Deep State" and a "Rigged election" is dangerous and this incident proves it.
Yeah, don't see what some posters are getting so defensive about. Polarisation is bad, Trump's actions have fuelled polarisation and also encouraged certain radical groups, we're seeing very worrying actions and statements from said groups. Can't we all agree on that? What's it matter if they identify as Nazis, militias, Trump supporters, minutemen, cricket players, Hindus, or cisgender Asian-African trans pansexuals? What's it matter whether Trump has specifically said, in so many words, that someone should kidnap a Democrat governour? What's it matter if these militias aren't the only radical groups in the States?

As long as every single thing around Trump, or in American society in general, boils down into whataboutisms, quibbling, and a refusal to admit even the slightest mistake or bad trait in political leaders, public discourse is just spinning its wheels.

Note to the people acting this way: the wheels are still deep in the mud when the next Democrat president comes around and you are all of a sudden the ones with the gripes about the administration. Good luck addressing issues when proper public discourse has been made impossible.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 01:42 PM   #196
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Because absolutely no discourse can survive this new strain of gleeful, nihilistic troll that doesn't want anything to get better.
Old 9th October 2020, 01:49 PM   #197
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

"Why... THAT'S ENTRAPMENT!!!"
Old 9th October 2020, 01:54 PM   #198
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Because absolutely no discourse can survive this new strain of gleeful, nihilistic troll that doesn't want anything to get better.
I don't know if the two big people on the right here want things to get better. Their posts here are not a good assessment of that The internet is not real life.
Old 9th October 2020, 01:59 PM   #199
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
Nobody in their right mind could possibly think that 13 people could carry out a ridiculous plan to kidnap a governor and take her to another state for a trial.
Why? A lot of people who are not in their right mind do dangerous stuff. And a governor doesn't have anything like the security operation that accompanies the President, especially when she's at her own vacation home. They might not have ultimately gotten away with it, but they could certainly have kidnapped her and ultimately killed her. This can't be treated lightly.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 02:06 PM   #200
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

The lawyer, to the 13 other prisoners:

"I'm telling you man, it was a meritorious legal theory"

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics