ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags police issues , police misconduct charges

Old 9th December 2019, 08:42 AM   #1601
Wolrab
Illuminator

The cops have a lot to answer for. Where the hell was a big brown UPS truck going to hide while when it had a helicopter directly observing it on a freaking multi lane highway?

Cops taking cover behind occupied cars is unbelievably stupid.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 09:59 AM   #1602
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
The cops have a lot to answer for. Where the hell was a big brown UPS truck going to hide while when it had a helicopter directly observing it on a freaking multi lane highway?

Please this was all with in the bounds of normal police behavior, the officers involved will never personally answer for anything. The tax payers will settle for a few million for the hostage and bystander that were killed by the police and it will all fade away.

They are all covered by qualified immunity and you really think any criminal counts are coming? There were far two many cops shooting to hold any of them accountable.

Shooting a kid while the aiming at a non aggressive dog is legal why should this when there are people taking hostages suddenly become seriously egregious?

https://reason.com/2019/07/16/court-...fied-immunity/

Hell if the department does not settle that qualified immunity might well cover them for the bystander deaths.

You seem far far to optimistic about the outcome of this.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 10:22 AM   #1603
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

UPS statement (since removed) after the police shooting death of their employee:

Quote:
“We are deeply saddened to learn a UPS service provider was a victim of this senseless act of violence,” the statement read. “We appreciate law enforcement’s service and will cooperate with the authorities as they continue the investigation.”
The cops will shoot you dead and your boss will thank them for it. Neato.
Old 9th December 2019, 10:56 AM   #1604
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Reporting on this is being understandably eclipsed by the Pensacola mass shooting today; however, yesterday afternoon elsewhere in the same state, police pursued two armed suspects who had robbed a jewelry store and then hijacked a UPS truck to make their getaway when police converged, taking the delivery driver with them as a hostage.

Helicopter video of the incident shows police chased them until the truck became trapped on a thoroughfare in stopped rush hour traffic, surrounded by civilian cars, at which point police quickly surrounded the vehicle on foot and a shootout commenced. The officers fired on the truck from all angles, while taking cover behind the occupied civilian vehicles. The hostage UPS driver was killed in the gunfire, as was a driver of one of the nearby cars. Both of the robbers were also killed. Police afterward held a press conference at which they reassured the public that no police officers had been harmed during the incident.
Cowardly cops.

It’s what they’re trained to be
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 11:58 AM   #1605
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post

It's all part of their training.

The instructional videos they watch on prime time TV and cable movie channels.

ETA: On second thought, most of the prime time TV shows have the cops demonstrating a lot more concern for the safety of bystanders.

Maybe they should be instructional videos.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."

Last edited by quadraginta; 9th December 2019 at 12:01 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 12:07 PM   #1606
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
It's all part of their training.

The instructional videos they watch on prime time TV and cable movie channels.

ETA: On second thought, most of the prime time TV shows have the cops demonstrating a lot more concern for the safety of bystanders.

Maybe they should be instructional videos.

Their "instructional videos" are more likely to be the Dirty Harry movies, and their ilk.
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 12:24 PM   #1607
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
Their "instructional videos" are more likely to be the Dirty Harry movies, and their ilk.
And that's unfair on Dirty Harry.

More like Team America World Police.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 01:54 PM   #1608
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
And that's unfair on Dirty Harry.

More like Team America World Police.
Any comparison that includes Trump is unfair and insulting to the object of comparison.
Old 9th December 2019, 03:41 PM   #1609
mgidm86
Philosopher

How should they have handled it? I'm not defending the cops, I'm asking. This seems like a tough scenario.

According to two articles and a video I've watched, the bad guys shot at the cops first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ture=emb_title

Watching the video, I see sparks(?) and smoke coming from both sides of the cab which would indicate gunfire from the truck. Most ISF/JREFers already know that most bullets will not create sparks on impact, that's just Hollywood.

Should they have followed but stayed in their cars once they had to stop? They were right behind the UPS truck so it's not not like they weren't already in the line of fire.

Should they have tried to evacuate the civilians nearby first? I would guess the safest thing would be to stay in your car, or that would at least be the instructions from the cops. Stay put and get down.

I mean should the cops have got on the bullhorn - "Everyone get out of your cars and walk to the sides of the road"? There's already one hostage, doesn't sound smart to me.

I agree that cops often act too harshly, I'm just asking about this particular story.

I see people in one article asking "Where were the hostage negotiators and snipers?" This isn't Hollywood, they don't just magically appear when needed. Looks like the shooting started immediately.

Too little info so just asking questions. This looks as if it was poorly handled but I have no solid opinion yet, and I don't know what would have yielded a better result.

Has anyone in this thread made one negative remark about the jerk-offs that robbed the store and took a hostage, or is it just "cops are bad"?

This was their third heist.

Then you have the dumbasses that videoed this from their cars. Is that how the civilian was shot? I'll go ahead and assume that the 70 year old man didn't bust out his cellphone the way younger people seem to instinctively do.

Finally, maybe the bad guys should take most of the blame?

Again, tough situation.
Old 10th December 2019, 05:41 AM   #1610
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

UPS vans have tracker I assume? Then back off, keep air surveillance at the most discrete distance giving live updates, let the perps get to where they are going with response units dynamically trailing or ahead of the van.

When they bail - which they would most definitely have done.... move in or continue to track.
bluesjnr is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2019, 06:26 AM   #1611
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
UPS vans have tracker I assume? Then back off, keep air surveillance at the most discrete distance giving live updates, let the perps get to where they are going with response units dynamically trailing or ahead of the van.

When they bail - which they would most definitely have done.... move in or continue to track.
Bah, that has some crazy assumption that police need to be worried about collateral damage, the courts have ruled that they are not legally responsible for the collateral damage they cause so why bother trying to minimize it? Cops bullet hit kid, police not responsible for medical bills. Police destroy house, police not responsible for damages.

So why go to all that effort when they have no obligation to minimize collateral damage as they are not legally responsible for it?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2019, 07:09 AM   #1612
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Does the Broward County, Florida PD have a policy whereby if there is a hostage involved then the officers must engage immediately without any backing off or being patient?
Old 10th December 2019, 07:14 AM   #1613
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Does the Broward County, Florida PD have a policy whereby if there is a hostage involved then the officers must engage immediately without any backing off or being patient?
You keep me in suspense; do they? How can one find out? And if so, would’t this generally be considered by most law enforcement a stupid policy?
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2019, 07:24 AM   #1614
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
How should they have handled it? I'm not defending the cops, I'm asking. This seems like a tough scenario.

According to two articles and a video I've watched, the bad guys shot at the cops first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ture=emb_title

Watching the video, I see sparks(?) and smoke coming from both sides of the cab which would indicate gunfire from the truck. Most ISF/JREFers already know that most bullets will not create sparks on impact, that's just Hollywood.

Should they have followed but stayed in their cars once they had to stop? They were right behind the UPS truck so it's not not like they weren't already in the line of fire.

Should they have tried to evacuate the civilians nearby first? I would guess the safest thing would be to stay in your car, or that would at least be the instructions from the cops. Stay put and get down.

I mean should the cops have got on the bullhorn - "Everyone get out of your cars and walk to the sides of the road"? There's already one hostage, doesn't sound smart to me.

I agree that cops often act too harshly, I'm just asking about this particular story.

I see people in one article asking "Where were the hostage negotiators and snipers?" This isn't Hollywood, they don't just magically appear when needed. Looks like the shooting started immediately.

Too little info so just asking questions. This looks as if it was poorly handled but I have no solid opinion yet, and I don't know what would have yielded a better result.

Has anyone in this thread made one negative remark about the jerk-offs that robbed the store and took a hostage, or is it just "cops are bad"?

This was their third heist.

Then you have the dumbasses that videoed this from their cars. Is that how the civilian was shot? I'll go ahead and assume that the 70 year old man didn't bust out his cellphone the way younger people seem to instinctively do.

Finally, maybe the bad guys should take most of the blame?

Again, tough situation.
Aside from the many speculations you make under the rubric of just asking questions, which IMO are premature and distracting until the relevant facts are uncovered, the focus up thread is that the police screwed up, a conclusion pretty much based on the facts we do know.
And certainly it is a given that the crooks are responsible for the crime and the deaths; I don’t see why anyone would feel it necessary to actually state that in a post.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2019, 07:49 AM   #1615
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Aside from the many speculations you make under the rubric of just asking questions, which IMO are premature and distracting until the relevant facts are uncovered, the focus up thread is that the police screwed up, a conclusion pretty much based on the facts we do know.
And certainly it is a given that the crooks are responsible for the crime and the deaths; I don’t see why anyone would feel it necessary to actually state that in a post.
The logic then follows the criminals were responsible and as the police are not responsible, how could they be held to have done something wrong? That would indicate there was some liability and the courts have shown that the police have no liability for collateral damage.
Old 10th December 2019, 08:11 AM   #1616
crescent
Illuminator

My guess is that if armed people seized a vehicle, took a hostage, made their way through public space and the the police didn't stay close, then the police would be equally excoriated.

Hindsight is 20/20, there didn't seem to be a lot of good options here.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2019, 09:56 AM   #1617
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Maybe not, but I still can't help wondering what the cops in the 50th police car to follow the UPS truck thought they were adding to the situation.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2019, 09:57 AM   #1618
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Maybe not, but I still can't help wondering what the cops in the 50th police car to follow the UPS truck thought they were adding to the situation.
More rounds on target when they opened fire.
Old 10th December 2019, 10:08 AM   #1619
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
More rounds on target when they opened fire.
Given the accuracy of even trained shooters when the **** hits the fan it means a ton of rounds into a crowd of non-combatants.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2019, 10:10 AM   #1620
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
Given the accuracy of even trained shooters when the **** hits the fan it means a ton of rounds into a crowd of non-combatants.
That only matters to people who have some legal obligation to minimize collateral damage, so why should that matter to cops?
Old 10th December 2019, 10:13 AM   #1621
bluesjnr

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
My guess is that if armed people seized a vehicle, took a hostage, made their way through public space and the the police didn't stay close, then the police would be equally excoriated.

True but many, many better ones, like my response to mgidm86's question for one.

We'll never know for sure but backing off and releasing the pressure on armed crooks can only be a better approach than cornering them. It's almost like the police had decided the hostage was collateral damage the way they handled it and what harm would a few more dead bystanders do.
bluesjnr is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2019, 12:30 PM   #1622
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Yes, you don't force a hostage taker into a situation where they have no way of getting out alive, and expect any hostage to survive.
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2019, 12:55 PM   #1623
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post

Two lame excuses for the price of one: "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" and "How could we know what was going to happen?"

The answer to the first goes something like this: The fewer bullets police officers fire at and into innocent people, the less they'll be damned. Avoiding that seems like it used to be one of the highest police priorities. Today, if a police officer hears a gunshot (or thinks s/he does or thinks s/he might), that officer is justified to open fire with no regard whatsoever for the safety of people not wearing badges.

As for the second, that's what training and procedure are supposed to accomplish.

Maybe police officers should be trained, for example, not to crowd hostage takers - especially when they haven't established contact with them - since doing so can endanger the lives of hostages. Maybe they could also be trained to prioritize clearing areas of civilians when there is present or imminent danger. Maybe they'll be taken to task if criminals escape and/or hostages die, but I bet they'll take a lot less heat than if they start firing willy-nilly, endangering, injuring, and killing hostages and innocent bystanders.
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2019, 01:24 PM   #1624
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
but I bet they'll take a lot less heat than if they start firing willy-nilly, endangering, injuring, and killing hostages and innocent bystanders.
Or even each other in a crossfire.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2019, 02:25 PM   #1625
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
The logic then follows the criminals were responsible and as the police are not responsible, how could they be held to have done something wrong? That would indicate there was some liability and the courts have shown that the police have no liability for collateral damage.
The crooks being primarily responsible means that no one else's errors could have contributed? I didn't think I needed to explain this in detail.The crooks started it all and killed the victims. But it appears the police mis-handled the situation significantly. If one wishes to say the police were therefore "responsible" in part for the victims deaths okay, and perhaps they can be held to that by administrative actions. But "responsible" is probably a bit overloaded a term for me - I prefer likely "contributed."
Old 10th December 2019, 02:51 PM   #1626
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

The crooks being primarily responsible means that no one else's errors could have contributed? I didn't think I needed to explain this in detail.The crooks started it all and killed the victims. But it appears the police mis-handled the situation significantly. If one wishes to say the police were therefore "responsible" in part for the victims deaths okay, and perhaps they can be held to that by administrative actions. But "responsible" is probably a bit overloaded a term for me - I prefer likely "contributed."
Or, we could assign responsibility where it might do some good, to living people who ****** up beyond all recognition instead of to dead people who are too busy decomposing to change anything.
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2019, 03:47 PM   #1627
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Or even each other in a crossfire.
Well, that would be a tragedy, and they might have to face disciplinary action for such a vile and reckless act.
Old 10th December 2019, 03:49 PM   #1628
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Two lame excuses for the price of one: "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" and "How could we know what was going to happen?"

The answer to the first goes something like this: The fewer bullets police officers fire at and into innocent people, the less they'll be damned. Avoiding that seems like it used to be one of the highest police priorities. Today, if a police officer hears a gunshot (or thinks s/he does or thinks s/he might), that officer is justified to open fire with no regard whatsoever for the safety of people not wearing badges.

As for the second, that's what training and procedure are supposed to accomplish.

Maybe police officers should be trained, for example, not to crowd hostage takers - especially when they haven't established contact with them - since doing so can endanger the lives of hostages. Maybe they could also be trained to prioritize clearing areas of civilians when there is present or imminent danger. Maybe they'll be taken to task if criminals escape and/or hostages die, but I bet they'll take a lot less heat than if they start firing willy-nilly, endangering, injuring, and killing hostages and innocent bystanders.
There is a reason I said that Team America - World Police seems to be their training video
Old 10th December 2019, 05:32 PM   #1629
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

What was wrong with videoing the incident from their cars, and how do you feel it makes them "dumbasses"? Since you have already acknowledged that they were essentially trapped in their cars and leaving would only have exposed them to more danger, what difference does it make what they do while they're stuck there? If you're about to say "they should have gotten down", then refer to your own post regarding this not being Hollywood; the sheet metal of cars is not substantial enough to protect passengers and it would've made zero difference. What would have made a difference is police not choosing to use them as human shields by hiding behind and thus drawing the robbers' fire through their vehicles.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2019, 04:07 AM   #1630
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Yea right, legally the police are in the clear, they are not legally responsible for their stray bullets after all. The courts are clear, collateral damage is not a legal responsibility of the police so why should they care?
Old 12th December 2019, 05:57 AM   #1631
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

And now for something completely different:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/11/u...el-wilkey.html

Tennessee deputy charged with 44 crimes for actions taken on duty, including rape, extortion, stalking and assault, has previously been accused in lawsuits of false imprisonment, child molestation and forced baptism.
Old 12th December 2019, 07:13 AM   #1632
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post

Tennessee deputy charged with 44 crimes for actions taken on duty, including rape, extortion, stalking and assault, has previously been accused in lawsuits of false imprisonment, child molestation and forced baptism.
I was flabbergasted to read what he got up to with a previous employer

"Before his employment in Hamilton County, Mr. Wilkey worked as a law enforcement officer in neighboring Rhea County, Tenn., where he was accused in a wrongful-death lawsuit of fatally shooting an unarmed man in the head in 2014 while the man was receiving treatment at an emergency room. He was not charged criminally in the man’s death."

Shooting an unarmed man in the head whilst he was being treated in an emergency room, and no criminal charges??!!
Old 12th December 2019, 07:17 AM   #1633
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Looked up that killing: https://www.policeone.com/officer-sh...Pzab8aq1fmodM/

I'd suggest in light of his other crimes that killing should be investigated again.
Old 12th December 2019, 09:02 AM   #1634
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post

Where are the charges for the sheriff? Just hiring this guy should be evidence enough of official misconduct.
Old 12th December 2019, 01:24 PM   #1635
deadrose
Illuminator

Why did I know Rhea County was going to be involved when I heard Tennessee? Oh that's right, my mom was from there, and the place is full of my relatives. Rhea County is the one that tried to ban homosexuals. Home of the Scopes Monkey Trial. It was still a Dry county when I last visited, though that's finally changed.

Let me put it this way, it doesn't surprise me a bit.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2019, 04:41 PM   #1636
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
What was wrong with videoing the incident from their cars, and how do you feel it makes them "dumbasses"? Since you have already acknowledged that they were essentially trapped in their cars and leaving would only have exposed them to more danger, what difference does it make what they do while they're stuck there? If you're about to say "they should have gotten down", then refer to your own post regarding this not being Hollywood; the sheet metal of cars is not substantial enough to protect passengers and it would've made zero difference. What would have made a difference is police not choosing to use them as human shields by hiding behind and thus drawing the robbers' fire through their vehicles.

Zero?

Yes, the cars would absolutely make a difference. First of all, door panels are not the only protection, and even then there can be enough metal to stop, deflect or slow them down, especially in older cars.

The bullets can also come from many other angles, like from behind or the front of the car as well, which would keep the occupant safe, unless the bullet passes through the engine block.

You are more than just a little protected from gunfire in a car, especially if you stay down low.

Getting my head down toward the passenger side floor would be my move. I saw someone filming that appeared to be surrounded by people shooting guns. Even sticking your hand up and blindly using the camera is idiotic. You'd have to raise up a little to do so I think as well.

It's a risk I would not not take, but then I didn't grow up with a camera in my pocket. It's not my "go-to" move.

Another poster thinks my post was a distraction because "not enough info".

Quote:

I do feel it necessary to mention the bad guys are responsible here at ISF.

The rest just makes me laugh. We have enough facts to determine the cops screwed up but not enough to answer my question regarding what they should have done different?

I already said they probably overreacted, I asked what should they have done differently. And I'm the disingenuous one? Too much info and not enough info simultaneously.

This place is ridiculous.
Old 12th December 2019, 06:51 PM   #1637
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Zero?

Yes, the cars would absolutely make a difference. First of all, door panels are not the only protection, and even then there can be enough metal to stop, deflect or slow them down, especially in older cars.

The bullets can also come from many other angles, like from behind or the front of the car as well, which would keep the occupant safe, unless the bullet passes through the engine block.

You are more than just a little protected from gunfire in a car, especially if you stay down low.

Getting my head down toward the passenger side floor would be my move. I saw someone filming that appeared to be surrounded by people shooting guns. Even sticking your hand up and blindly using the camera is idiotic. You'd have to raise up a little to do so I think as well.

It's a risk I would not not take, but then I didn't grow up with a camera in my pocket. It's not my "go-to" move.

Another poster thinks my post was a distraction because "not enough info".
Reminding us all once again not only never to leave an opening for pedantry but that we should all be learning and executing combat tactics in order to survive our daily drives.
Quote:
The rest just makes me laugh. We have enough facts to determine the cops screwed up but not enough to answer my question regarding what they should have done different?
Several people have made suggestions as to what they should have done instead of trapping the criminals in a sea of innocent bystanders.

One obvious option: Let them get away. In a war zone (which, again, we're obviously supposed to recognize is the situation on our streets), combatants would not pursue the enemy to their detriment or to the detriment of civilians.

What kind of ******* insane world is it when police officers can't manage to understand that catching criminals should always be secondary to protecting the public?
Old 13th December 2019, 02:11 AM   #1638
bluesjnr

... snip...The rest just makes me laugh. We have enough facts to determine the cops screwed up but not enough to answer my question regarding what they should have done different?

I already said they probably overreacted, I asked what should they have done differently. And I'm the disingenuous one? Too much info and not enough info simultaneously.

This place is ridiculous.
You are certainly being disingenuous when you completely ignore those of us who did take the time to answer your question and present viable alternatives. It seems your intention was simply to cock a snook at us.
Old 14th December 2019, 12:22 PM   #1639
Checkmite

Zero?

All of the cars surrounding the UPS truck were late-model cars, not older cars. This includes the vehicle the video was taken from.

The vehicle the video was taken from was side-on to the shooting, not end on. None of your provisos applied to the person taking the video or his vehicle; you've just wasted your time.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2019, 05:19 PM   #1640
Checkmite

A North Carolina sheriff's deputy is on leave and being investigated after a video emerged of him suddenly body-slamming a middle-school boy, twice, in a school hallway.

Granted we do not have the deputy's "side" of the story; but just like the last incident of this type that I posed about, a video of the event exists showing the child behaving in a completely non-hostile manner and there's really no possible context by which the deputy's surprise and excessive physical force could be justified.

Quote:
On Friday, Sheriff Curtis Brame said Vance County Schools filed a complaint with his office concerning a juvenile being assaulted by a law enforcement officer.

After reviewing the video, Brame handed the investigation over to the SBI.

The video shows a deputy pick up a student and slam him to the ground twice before dragging him off camera. There is no audio on the recording.

The student’s sister said he will be OK.

The deputy is on paid administrative leave pending the investigation. Sheriff Brame did not identify the deputy.

“We went over and when we first saw the video, we were stunned, we were shocked. We all are parents and grandparents that have children at that same age, so it brought some great concern to us,” said Sheriff Brame.

Brame said there are two school resource officers assigned to the middle school. The other SRO is continuing their duties. Other deputies are filling in for the SRO who is now on leave.

Vance County District Attorney Mike Waters said the extent of the child’s injuries could impact any potential charges that are filed. The boy’s father said he’s recovering at home, but declined to say more.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events