ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 24th September 2016, 07:38 PM   #1
Mark6
Philosopher

Evolution in cities

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/24/op...e-thought.html

Quote:
With urban environments expanding all over the world, wildlife and biologists alike are starting to treat the city as a true ecosystem. Many species’ original habitats are being squeezed into annihilation. For them, it’s adapt or die. And field biologists like me are following suit. As we have to travel ever farther to find untouched wilderness, we are beginning to realize that the expanding urban sprawl is perhaps not something to be depressed about, but rather something very exciting, as entirely novel forms of life are evolving right under our noses.
Very informative article about animals (and some plants) rapidly evolving to adapt to urban environment.
Old 24th September 2016, 07:53 PM   #2
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

I recall a classic case of moths getting darker in England post Industrial Revolution as soot and dirt made light-colored moths stand out, which made them more vulnerable to prey.
Old 24th September 2016, 07:54 PM   #3
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppered_moth

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2016, 07:59 PM   #4
Mark6
Philosopher

Moths are a well-known example, but now there are many others.
Old 24th September 2016, 08:03 PM   #5
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Thanks.

I probably knew of them via one of Dawkins' books.
Old 24th September 2016, 08:42 PM   #6
fromdownunder
Philosopher

In Melbourne there was a pair of Peregrine Falcons who nested on the the 33rd floor of Optus House at 367 Collins St in the middle of the city from 1991 to at least 2015.

Plenty of food (pigeons, mice, rats, seagulls, babies) so there was no lack of resources. Just more evidence that if there is a survival niche, it will be filled by whatever species finds it first.

I Have just tried to find out if they're still there, but can't be sure. Last reported sighting was March 2015.

A high rise building is as good as a cliff to them!

Norm

Last edited by fromdownunder; 24th September 2016 at 08:47 PM.
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2016, 01:09 AM   #7
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Thanks.

I probably knew of them via one of Dawkins' books.
I believe he goes into a little bit of detail in The Blind Watchmaker.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2016, 01:32 AM   #8
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
In Melbourne there was a pair of Peregrine Falcons who nested on the the 33rd floor of Optus House at 367 Collins St in the middle of the city from 1991 to at least 2015.

Plenty of food (pigeons, mice, rats, seagulls, babies) so there was no lack of resources. Just more evidence that if there is a survival niche, it will be filled by whatever species finds it first.

I Have just tried to find out if they're still there, but can't be sure. Last reported sighting was March 2015.

A high rise building is as good as a cliff to them!

Norm
These Falcons haven't evolved much, precisely because a building is indeed like a cliff, and what works for one works for the other. But are there other creatures evolving features relevant to city life? Those city creatures, the pigeons, look pretty much like their "rock dove" ancestors, because again of the similarity between buildings and cliffs; but what about the fox? Urban foxes do less hunting and more scavenging than their rural cousins. Will they evolve into smooth-haired omnivores like the feral dogs of African villages?
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2016, 07:35 AM   #9
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Our university is home to a variety of "urban wildlife". We have the usual run of squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks, and songbirds of all kinds, but also fox, racoon, possum, hawks, and similar larger species.

Hard to say the degree that these critters are evolving to adapt to this environment, but I did spot a fox a few years back walking down the sidewalk, marking each tree just like a dog....
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2016, 09:22 AM   #10
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
Our university is home to a variety of "urban wildlife". We have the usual run of squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks, and songbirds of all kinds, but also fox, racoon, possum, hawks, and similar larger species.

Hard to say the degree that these critters are evolving to adapt to this environment, but I did spot a fox a few years back walking down the sidewalk, marking each tree just like a dog....
Largest urban species here is probably the roe deer, which have, surprisingly, adapted quite well. They like cemeteries, motorway verges and railway embankments.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2016, 09:23 AM   #11
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Mark6 View Post
Moths are a well-known example, but now there are many others.
Culex pipiens molestus, the London Underground mosquito is my favourite. Though they can be found in New York (at least until the yaks get them) and Tokyo too. In fact the world's subway systems are often thriving ecosystems. Though maybe the feral Cybermats will deal with the nastier pests...
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology