IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd July 2022, 05:35 AM   #41
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Is there any actual capability claim being made in the video? Or is it just feel-good propaganda about the progress of the program?
Old 3rd July 2022, 05:44 AM   #42
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Is there any actual capability claim being made in the video? Or is it just feel-good propaganda about the progress of the program?
It is definitely feel-good propaganda.

But there are very definite claims being made too.
Old 3rd July 2022, 05:48 AM   #43
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

One of the claims is that one of the engines being used is the same one that powered the Voyager spacecraft back in the 1970s.

The rocket booster is maybe the same one that they used for the space shuttles.

If it ain't broke, why fix it?
Old 3rd July 2022, 06:34 AM   #44
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Well it was the Wild Wild West after all...
"Take(ing) a Walk on the Wild Side".
Old 6th August 2022, 01:38 PM   #45
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

The first launch window for Artemis I comes at the end of this month, the morning of August 29. The mission profile takes it to the Moon for half a lap in the deep retrograde lunar orbit before returning to Earth.

I would be lying if I've said I'm not a little excited about this. But it's also both the first fully-integrated launch test and the first full-flight test for Artemis, so anything could happen.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2022, 04:25 PM   #46
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

The final Apollo mission, Apollo 17, was in December of 1972, almost 50 years ago. I was barely 2 years old, and too young to remember. Whoever would have thought that it would take over 50 years before anyone would return to the moon? Of course this is very cool, but the actual manned mission is what I'm really excited for. There's a whole generation of people who are too young to remember the Apollo missions.
Old 6th August 2022, 06:17 PM   #47
Checkmite

From the briefing yesterday, it sounds like Artemis 2 will be the first manned mission and it sounds like unfortunately you'll have to wait until 2024 for it (tentatively), with the actual moon landing itself coming a year later and annual missions expected thereafter.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2022, 12:27 AM   #48
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, I knew the first manned mission would be in 2024 at the earliest. I guess I'm not surprised that it isn't going to be a moon landing either. It was the same with Apollo, wasn't it? After all, it was Apollo 11 that first landed on the moon. I think there were several missions before that that didn't land on the moon.
Old 7th August 2022, 12:43 AM   #49
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Yeah, I knew the first manned mission would be in 2024 at the earliest. I guess I'm not surprised that it isn't going to be a moon landing either. It was the same with Apollo, wasn't it? After all, it was Apollo 11 that first landed on the moon. I think there were several missions before that that didn't land on the moon.
Apollo 8 orbited the moon without a lander (it was not ready). Apollo 10 was a dress rehearsal for the landing. Apollo 9 did not leave low earth orbit.

The priority for the Apollo missions was to do it fast. OK to spend heaps of money.

Last edited by rjh01; 7th August 2022 at 12:57 AM.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2022, 05:11 AM   #50
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Apollo 8 orbited the moon without a lander (it was not ready). Apollo 10 was a dress rehearsal for the landing. Apollo 9 did not leave low earth orbit.

The priority for the Apollo missions was to do it fast. OK to spend heaps of money.
Indeed. I see that less than a year passed between Apollo 8 and Apollo 11, and only about 3-plus years between Apollo 11 and Apollo 17. It was all done very rapidly. Took longer to make the James Webb Space Telescope than the entire time between Kennedy saying we would land on the moon by the end of the decade, and the last Apollo mission.
Old 8th August 2022, 05:38 AM   #51
jadebox
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
The final Apollo mission, Apollo 17, was in December of 1972, almost 50 years ago.
That was the last moon mission. Apollo continued for a few more years with Skylab and the Apollo-Soyuz Test Program.

I was twelve when Apollo 17 travelled to the moon and I was not interested. Manned spaceflight was just something that was part of the background noise of my life. But, shortly before ASTP, I began building and launching model rockets and that spawned my interest in space and space exploration. I was glued to the TV during ASTP and even have some blurry 8mm film taken by pointing the camera at the TV.

I watched the first shuttle launch live after spending the previous night sleeping on the hood of a friend's car parked along the Banana river. I watched the last shuttle launch from the roadside where I had pulled off after hitting a traffic jam on the way towards the coast.

For the past twenty-something years I have lived in Central Florida where I can see most KSC and Cape Canaveral launches from my front yard. But, I will try to get closer to the launch site for the SLS launch. I never saw one of the Saturn V launches in person. The SLS has a higher thrust to weight ratio than the Saturn V, so the lift-off won't be quite as slow and majestic. But, it'll be pretty darn impressive!

Last edited by jadebox; 8th August 2022 at 05:40 AM.
jadebox is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2022, 12:24 PM   #52
Checkmite

Three days to go until the first flight window.
Old 28th August 2022, 05:51 AM   #53
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Video from Astrum about the mission.

And for a more MSM presentation, here's a report from ABC:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 28th August 2022, 09:27 PM   #54
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

I rememnber the word "Artemis" from superman!
Dude111 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2022, 12:31 AM   #55
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Well, they are due to make their first launch in a few hours, if everything goes to plan.

I AGREE
Old 29th August 2022, 12:35 AM   #56
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

The guy on the NASA live stream said that there was some kind of sensor warning about hydrogen levels being too high in a "can" and so they are "slow filling". Hope it isn't too serious of a problem.
Old 29th August 2022, 12:46 AM   #57
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Another update: They have stopped filling hydrogen due to a pressure spike.
Old 29th August 2022, 01:12 AM   #58
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like they got that problem resolved and are back to filling hydrogen again. But the sensor that showed a problem is still showing some hydrogen, although apparently at acceptable levels.
Old 29th August 2022, 02:07 AM   #59
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Hydrogen 99% full, Oxygen 94% full.
Old 29th August 2022, 02:52 AM   #60
Checkmite

First stage full. Second stage filling.
Old 29th August 2022, 03:06 AM   #61
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I say launch now and look for a refill station on the way.
Old 29th August 2022, 03:09 AM   #62
Checkmite

There's got to be some hydrogen up there, it's the most abundant element in the universe after all.
Old 29th August 2022, 03:18 AM   #63
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

They're having trouble with one the engines now, trying to troubleshoot it.
Old 29th August 2022, 03:55 AM   #64
jadebox
Master Poster

I am sitting in a parking lot about a block away from the Indian River. When the launch time gets closer, we'll see how close we can get to the river. Merritt Island, the home of Kennedy Space Center is just across the river from here. If we can get near Space View Park, pad 39B will be almost straight across from us.

Cell phone service isn't great. Lots of bars, but also a lot of people in a small area.

Last edited by jadebox; 29th August 2022 at 03:59 AM.
jadebox is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2022, 03:59 AM   #65
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Welp, they don't seem to be having any success in troubleshooting. The problem seems to be with a bleed valve on engine No. 3.
Old 29th August 2022, 04:25 AM   #66
Checkmite

Can't they just kick it?
Old 29th August 2022, 04:32 AM   #67
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Can't they just kick it?
You can't just kick a sophisticated piece of complex machinery and expect it to work.
That clearly won't be effective, even with steel toed boots.
You have to smack it with a good old fashioned hammer a couple times.

Last edited by Mike!; 29th August 2022 at 04:34 AM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2022, 04:53 AM   #68
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Starting to look doubtful that they're going to launch today. Still trying to formulate a new troubleshooting plan for a stuck bleed valve. They stopped the countdown clock at T minus 40 minutes and have been holding there.
Old 29th August 2022, 05:01 AM   #69
jadebox
Master Poster

I found an open WiFi connection so I can follow the updates online. Coverage over the air by radio and TV wasn't very informative. We are roughing it. Sitting in our RV, eating breakfast while watching the coverage on YouTube.
Old 29th August 2022, 05:07 AM   #70
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I suggest they bring in the last living engineer from Apollo 11, who will fix the problem in a counter-intuitive way.
Old 29th August 2022, 05:10 AM   #71
jadebox
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I suggest they bring in the last living engineer from Apollo 11, who will fix the problem in a counter-intuitive way.
SCE to AUX!
Old 29th August 2022, 05:37 AM   #72
ohms
Graduate Poster

Today's attempt has been scrubbed.
Old 29th August 2022, 05:39 AM   #73
Olmstead
Graduate Poster

Oh, come on. It ain't brain surgery.

Olmstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2022, 05:46 AM   #74
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Pity. Oh well, let's hope they get it fixed before the next window. Which is Sept. 2nd, Friday at the earliest.
Old 29th August 2022, 02:26 PM   #75
Checkmite

Worth pointing out that these engines ARE known-good. NASA did a hot-fire test of this core stage last year and all four engines ran for a whole 8-minute burn without issues. They had to bleed the engine before that test too and it worked fine then. So I'm optimistic this is some minor issue that, once they know what it is, will be an easy fix.
Old 31st August 2022, 05:32 AM   #76
Speedskater
Thinker

Launch window times. Shouldn't there be a launch window everyday? An hour and 6 minutes different than the day before.
Speedskater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2022, 05:39 AM   #77
jadebox
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
Launch window times. Shouldn't there be a launch window everyday? An hour and 6 minutes different than the day before.
The Orion spacecraft is solar powered and can't be in the shadow of the earth or moon for more than about 90 minutes. So, the launch windows are based on more than just the relative positions of the earth and moon. Their positions relative to the sun have to be taken into account.

Also, the rocket can only sit on the pad for a limited number of days before it has to be returned to the VAB to be refurbished for launch.

Last edited by jadebox; 31st August 2022 at 05:41 AM.
Old 31st August 2022, 12:26 PM   #78
crescent
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
Originally Posted by jadebox View Post
The Orion spacecraft is solar powered and can't be in the shadow of the earth or moon for more than about 90 minutes. So, the launch windows are based on more than just the relative positions of the earth and moon. Their positions relative to the sun have to be taken into account.

Also, the rocket can only sit on the pad for a limited number of days before it has to be returned to the VAB to be refurbished for launch.
And factor in launch windows for other platforms with associated needs from tracking and communication systems. Although I don't know if that's a factor in this delay. I know that Space X launched today and China has one scheduled for Friday.

I would not be surprised if NASA delayed an extra bit so as to avoid a launch on the or soon after the Chinese launch. Maybe they want to be extra able to avoid any debris from any launch failure - but don't want to be so overt about that line of reasoning.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2022, 12:30 PM   #79
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Olmstead View Post
Oh, come on. It ain't brain surgery.
It is kind of rocket surgery, though.
Old 31st August 2022, 12:37 PM   #80
jadebox
Master Poster

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
And factor in launch windows for other platforms with associated needs from tracking and communication systems.
Yes, all of those other things have to be considered plus other things like the availability of people working on the program.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology