IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 31st August 2022, 04:43 PM   #81
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jadebox View Post
Yes, all of those other things have to be considered plus other things like the availability of people working on the program.
Nobody's askin' for the day off.

(Oooh... CT time, suspect the guy who skipped work today. )

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 31st August 2022 at 04:45 PM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2022, 10:52 PM   #82
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

NASA’s Next Launch Attempt for Artemis I Will Occur September 3

Quote:
The agency announced today (Aug. 30) that it's now targeting Saturday (Sept. 3) for the launch of Artemis 1, a crucial mission whose first liftoff attempt on Monday (Aug. 29) was scuttled by a technical issue.

If all goes according to plan, Artemis 1 will launch from Pad 39B at NASA's Kennedy Space Center (KSC) in Florida during a two-hour window that opens at 2:17 p.m. EDT (1817 GMT).
That'll be at 3:17 AM my time, so I won't try to stay up and watch it, but I hope it goes well.

As for the cause of the issue:
Quote:
The Artemis 1 team couldn't troubleshoot the issue in time during Monday's countdown, so the launch attempt was called off. But Honeycutt and others on the mission team think they have a handle on it now: They suspect it boils down to a faulty temperature sensor on Engine 3.

"I think we understand the physics about how hydrogen performs, and the way the sensor is behaving doesn't line up with the physics of the situation," Honeycutt said during this evening's press conference. Readings from other sensors suggested that Engine 3 was getting appropriate levels of liquid hydrogen during the bleed, he added.

Replacing the sensor would likely require rolling the Artemis 1 stack off Pad 39B and back to KSC's enormous Vehicle Assembly Building, Honeycutt and others said during the briefing. The Artemis 1 team doesn't think that's necessary at this point and instead plans to go ahead with another launch attempt on Saturday.

The team plans to make a few adjustments to the countdown plan — start the engine-cooling process 30 to 45 minutes earlier than last time, for example, And they'll continue analyzing data and mapping out scenarios over the next few days to make sure that the current approach is indeed justified and prudent, Honeycutt said.

"We've got to continue poring over the data," he said. "We've got to put some flight rationale together, anticipating that we're not going to get any better results on that Engine 3 bleed-temp sensor."
Well, I do hope that this approach "is indeed justified and prudent". I guess we'll find out.
Old 3rd September 2022, 07:57 AM   #83
slyjoe
Illuminator

Just about ready to scrub the launch. My understanding is leak is with 8 inch hydrogen pipe seal. May have to take Artemis back to the VAB.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 08:20 AM   #84
slyjoe
Illuminator

Officially scrubbed for today. Waiting on presser.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 08:56 AM   #85
catsmate
No longer the 1

As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 10:25 AM   #86
sts60
Illuminator

Gotta have patience in aerospace. The mission will happen. Let’s make sure the cryogenics are going where they’re supposed to go, and not going where they’re not supposed to go.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 01:48 PM   #87
jadebox
Master Poster

Some people in Titusville are happy when a launch is postponed. We paid $40 to park there today!*

The crowds were obviously not as large as expected since the scrub was called fairly early. I didn't mind paying to park since my wife can't walk very far and the lot was close to a park. Of course, I would like to have seen the launch, but waiting at the park was fun. We saw a nice sunrise behind the SLS. A band played in the morning. Someone let us look at the rocket through a large telescope. We saw a TV news crew doing a report and one of the YouTube channels doing their show. A pair of dolphins frolicked in the water just in front of us.

*A bank let a local charity manage parking in their lot. The money collected supports the charity. We were told that they would have raised $2000 today if the lot had filled. It was more than half-filled by the time the launch was scrubbed.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 01:53 PM   #88
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

NM
Old 3rd September 2022, 02:43 PM   #89
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Is there any particular name for the hangar where SpaceX assembles vehicles destined for pad 39A?
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 03:21 PM   #90
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I think it's just called the vehicle assembly building.
Old 3rd September 2022, 04:00 PM   #91
crescent
Philosopher

Artemis I's next launch attempt may not happen until later this year

Quote:
Future launch periods, including those in September and October, depend on what the team decides early next week, but this results in a minimum of delays consisting of at least several weeks.

"We will not be launching in this launch period," said Jim Free, associate administrator for NASA's Exploration Systems Development Mission Directorate. "We are not where we wanted to be."

Free said the stack, including the Space Launch System rocket and Orion spacecraft, has to roll back into the Vehicle Assembly Building, unless they get a waiver from the range, which is run by the US Space Force
Better late than never - a failed launch would be a huge setback.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 04:15 PM   #92
slyjoe
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
That is where they assembled Artemis and the original Saturns.

SpaceX has the "SpaceX Horizontal Assembly Facility" south of Pad-39A.
Old 3rd September 2022, 04:34 PM   #93
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

No, that's where SLS is and SpaceX has a launch in about a month so that would be a real mess. SpaceX is already blocking one Artemis launch window.

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post

Yep. That's it. Thanks.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2022, 04:46 PM   #94
slyjoe
Illuminator

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Artemis I's next launch attempt may not happen until later this year

Better late than never - a failed launch would be a huge setback.
Yep. I heard the next possible date is September 19.
Old 3rd September 2022, 05:57 PM   #95
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Artemis I's next launch attempt may not happen until later this year.
OK. I can understand ruling out last January due to the temperature but why not last August?
Old 3rd September 2022, 07:57 PM   #96
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I'll just say what everyone who is thinking: the rocket is fine, but we will need it to blow up an asteroid heading for earth later this year, hence the whole "malfunction" theater.
Old 4th September 2022, 05:49 AM   #97
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
No, that's where SLS is and SpaceX has a launch in about a month so that would be a real mess. SpaceX is already blocking one Artemis launch window.

Yep. That's it. Thanks.
Sorry, I misunderstood the question. I assumed that's what you were asking about. The building where they assembled the SLS.
Old 4th September 2022, 08:18 PM   #98
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I've actually been in the Vehicle Assembly Building. Not a lot of non-NASA employees can say that.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2022, 08:28 PM   #99
jadebox
Master Poster

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I've actually been in the Vehicle Assembly Building. Not a lot of non-NASA employees can say that.
A quick look inside the VAB was a part of the KSC Visitor Center tour back when I first visited KSC in the 1970s. When the Shuttle program started to store Solid Rocket Boosters in the VAB it was removed from the tour.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 07:24 PM   #100
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Looks like tomorrow will see a cryo-loading test to assess the repairs on the fuel line seals done last week. They'll also be doing the engine bleed and pressurization tests. Better to do all this now and reduce the chance of more surprises on the next actual launch attempt.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 10:14 PM   #101
sts60
Illuminator

Northrop Grumman also planned to use the VAB and rest of the Launch Complex 39 infrastructure with its Omega rocket (including the Mobile Launcher, Crawler, and Pad 39B), but canceled the program after not winning a launch services competition. That leaves SLS as the sole user, as it was with Shuttle and Saturn before that. As was pointed out, SpaceX stacks their Falcon horizontally at Pad 39A and raises it up in the manner familiar from Soyuz launches.

I’ve been in the VAB a number of times for work, or more accurately to play glorified tourist while at KSC/CCAFS for work in other facilities. It’s really almost indescribably huge. Attached is a picture I took of one of the Orbiters waiting to be stacked. It was the middle of the night and I was just wandering around snooping in places for which I had numbers on my badge and nobody was bothering to kick me out, even though I had no particular business there at the moment. (The historic abandoned pads on the Cape side were especially good for this.) On a subsequent midnight visit I watched it dangling from the crane while the lift crew waited for the DC-9 sized pendulum’s swaying to damp out.

A few years ago, while supporting work in the LCC, I had a more somber visit to the VAB. The Columbia Recovery Room is now located there, and workers are brought there to inspect the remains of the Orbiter, contemplate the energies involved, and receive a forceful reminder of what is at stake working human space flight programs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BBE6FF24-C5E2-4D69-B0D7-AB2728CE59E9.jpg (95.2 KB, 18 views)
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2022, 02:42 PM   #102
Checkmite

From what I've heard it sounds like today's fueling and pressure tests went well. I imagine there's still some data analysis to do, but I'm getting a positive impression from the press statements.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2022, 12:43 PM   #103
Checkmite

I guess NASA confirmed today that the cryo-loading went very well and they would be all set to try a launch again next week, except now there's a hurricane approaching, so they're probably going to have to take Artemis back to the assembly building. That's such a shame, considering they were so successful at fixing the leaks with the rocket in place.
Old 23rd September 2022, 03:16 PM   #104
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Not that well, as I understand it. They still had the leak problem and had to load LH2 at a very slow rate until the valves managed to seal up. And they don't really seem to know why they sealed up.
Old 23rd September 2022, 08:13 PM   #105
Checkmite

That seems to be the opposite of the impression I got from today's conference call. They said the leak was below constraints even before it went completely away, and basically said the rocket is fully launchable as early as Tuesday, barring weather conditions.
Old 24th September 2022, 10:51 AM   #106
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

OK. I think I got my impression from Scott Manley.
Tuesday launch is off, as I understand it. Tropical storm.
If they don't get it off soon after it'll be November, when Elon is also planning to launch Starship to orbit.
Old 24th September 2022, 11:47 AM   #107
grmcdorman
Graduate Poster

Confirmed by AP:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/nasa...elay-1.6594552
Old 28th September 2022, 08:40 PM   #108
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Looks like Ian is going to hit Canaveral near dead-on, so yeah they're going to be pulling the rocket back inside.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2022, 08:42 PM   #109
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Already done I hope?

ETA: Apparently: https://spectrumlocalnews.com/me/mai...the%20building.
Old 28th September 2022, 08:44 PM   #110
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Since the storm is about 140 miles wide, I would expect so.
Old 30th October 2022, 03:52 AM   #111
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

NASA to Provide Update on Artemis I Moon Mission

Quote:
NASA is planning to roll the SLS rocket and Orion spacecraft to Launch Pad 39B at Kennedy Friday, Nov. 4, at 12:01 a.m. ahead of launch.

The agency continues to target launch for Monday, Nov. 14, with liftoff planned during a 69-minute launch window that opens at 12:07 a.m. EST. A launch on Nov. 14 would result in a mission duration of about 25-and-a-half days with a splashdown in the Pacific Ocean Friday, Dec. 9.
Old 30th October 2022, 05:21 PM   #112
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Thanks. I was just thinking this date must be coming up soon.
Old 6th November 2022, 02:19 PM   #113
fertilizerspike
New Blood

I figured this one could use its own thread. Seems pretty cool. I wonder how soon it will happen
Never

Sent from my SM-S111DL using Tapatalk
fertilizerspike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2022, 10:20 PM   #114
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Another hurricane bearing down on Florida causing another delay:

NASA Prepares Rocket, Spacecraft Ahead of Tropical Storm Nicole, Re-targets Launch

Quote:
NASA is continuing to monitor Tropical Storm Nicole and has decided to re-target a launch for the Artemis I mission for Wednesday, Nov. 16, pending safe conditions for employees to return to work, as well as inspections after the storm has passed. Adjusting the target launch date will allow the workforce to tend to the needs of their families and homes, and provide sufficient logistical time to get back into launch status following the storm.
Apparently they are not rolling the rocket back to the Assembly Building. At least, not yet.
Quote:
Based on expected weather conditions and options to roll back ahead of the storm, the agency determined Sunday evening the safest option for the launch hardware was to keep the Space Launch System (SLS) rocket and Orion spacecraft secured at the pad.

The SLS rocket is designed to withstand 85 mph (74.4 knot) winds at the 60-foot level with structural margin. Current forecasts predict the greatest risks at the pad are high winds that are not expected to exceed the SLS design. The rocket is designed to withstand heavy rains at the launch pad and the spacecraft hatches have been secured to prevent water intrusion.
Old 10th November 2022, 02:06 PM   #115
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Another hurricane bearing down on Florida causing another delay:

NASA Prepares Rocket, Spacecraft Ahead of Tropical Storm Nicole, Re-targets Launch

Apparently they are not rolling the rocket back to the Assembly Building. At least, not yet.
I would expect an airtight hatch to be waterproof as a side effect of the design at the very least.
And haven't these guys ever seen Marooned?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064639/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_1
Old 10th November 2022, 04:12 PM   #116
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
And haven't these guys ever seen Marooned?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064639/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_1
I certainly have! In my small college town, where the first run movies arrived months late. Upon leaving the theater, I learned Apollo 13 had had a problem.
Old 14th November 2022, 11:09 AM   #117
cjameshuff
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
I would expect an airtight hatch to be waterproof as a side effect of the design at the very least.
Assuming the hatches in question are the crew hatches on the Orion capsule: they're meant to have air on one side and vacuum on the other, not air on one side and water being blasted against the other. Even if the water doesn't get through the hatch, it could get into places it isn't supposed to be and might cause deterioration of materials, interference with sensors, undesired effects as it boils and freezes in vacuum, etc.

And the "spacecraft hatches" may also refer to access hatches elsewhere on the spacecraft, not normally required to be airtight.
cjameshuff is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2022, 03:38 PM   #118
Checkmite

They're into fuel loading for tonight's launch, and it sounds like the engine bleed was successful this time around, and hydrogen seepage from the filling lines is well within safe and expected levels.

If that bears out through the rest of the fueling, it would seem the primary issues of the previous launch attempts have been overcome.
Old 15th November 2022, 05:41 PM   #119
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Little after 10:00 PM for me. Got to see if I can get it through YouTube on the bedroom TV.
Old 15th November 2022, 05:51 PM   #120
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

About 3:30pm for me. I'll just be back at my desk after lunch.

Launch after lunch. Nice.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology