IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags gun control , shooting incidents

Old 24th May 2022, 03:24 PM   #81
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
I wonder how many of the obvious "warning signs" will have been ignored?
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
What in the actual **** could possibly make you conclude that we're every going to get better at identifying warning signs? How could anyone believe that the solution here is millions of people being educated on and always watching for "warning signs"?

Here's a ******* warning sign, he's 18 and has a weapon of war or easy access to it. What could an 18 year old need unrestricted access to an assault rifle for?

I didn't conclude anything. I simply posed the question.

Last edited by Warp12; 24th May 2022 at 03:31 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 03:24 PM   #82
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Well, it is Texas. Maybe some of the kids had Republican parents who would have raised them Republican. I mean, if you think killing Republicans is the answer and all, I guess there is your silver lining.

Personally, I don't think shooting people is the answer.
Not voting for Republicans is the answer as they are a major part of the problem.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 03:24 PM   #83
stanfr
Master Poster

Yawn. I feel a lot more outrage about the fact that it takes something like this to get people loudly dramatic. There are so many mass shootings and killings that people just ignore. But when a group of kids get shot up, suddenly murder matters. The life of those kids isn't worth any more than the those of any of the people who are shot on a daily basis in this country.

Of course, the last body can barely hit the floor before some politicians and their supporters are using it as a political platform. Every time.
fascinating how they are all shot, aint it?
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 03:25 PM   #84
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Well, watching the coverage, the school looks mostly Hispanic. So does the shooter. So calm down, no change in gun regulation is necessary. Problem like this can be easily solved by taller wall.
/sarcasm
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 03:27 PM   #85
Lurch
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
No link, so take it for what it's worth, but I thought I heard he took the guns his grandmother had, I'm guessing right before he killed her.
If true, another datum in the piling statistics that tell us that merely possessing a firearm increases the chance of being shot. Having no guns is safer, in terms of dying by the gun, than having them.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 03:28 PM   #86
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I was responding to a political rant about Republicans. And yes, it happens every time a mass shooting occurs. I'm pretty sure nobody broached politics until that gem was posted. I'm sure we'll get to hear plenty more from the politicians.
Blah, blah, blah....this IS a political problem: it's the GOP that fights against stricter gun laws and you know it. But, true to form, you just have to defend the GOP no matter what.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 03:29 PM   #87
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I didn't conclude anything. I simply posed the question.
How brave of you.
Old 24th May 2022, 03:30 PM   #88
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Which is exactly what you are doing right now.

There are days when I really hate the Membership Agreement/
Tell me about it.
Old 24th May 2022, 03:33 PM   #89
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Tell me about it.
I suspect you agree with me that the mods should reconsider there "Racist posts are OK as long as they don;t get personal" stand.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 03:35 PM   #90
Meadmaker

Oops. I was wrong about something. Must delete post before anyone notices.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 24th May 2022 at 03:37 PM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 03:36 PM   #91
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The Texas AG is a piece of work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Paxton

In most states , even Red ones, he would have been gotten rid of a long time ago just on the corruption alone, , but not Texas.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 03:38 PM   #92
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
Well, watching the coverage, the school looks mostly Hispanic. So does the shooter. So calm down, no change in gun regulation is necessary. Problem like this can be easily solved by taller wall.
/sarcasm
And, who cares if a bunch of greasers kill each other? This is Texas, remember?

Robert Heinlein.
Old 24th May 2022, 03:38 PM   #93
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

What in the actual **** could possibly make you conclude that we're every going to get better at identifying warning signs? How could anyone believe that the solution here is millions of people being educated on and always watching for "warning signs"?

Here's a ******* warning sign, he's 18 and has a weapon of war or easy access to it. What could an 18 year old need unrestricted access to an assault rifle for?
What does ANYONE outside of the military and law enforcement need an assault or assault style weapon for?
Old 24th May 2022, 03:40 PM   #94
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
These idiots seem to have forgotten that an armed ex cop tried to take out a shooter recently. Problem is that the shooter had body armor. The security guard got off some shots and DIED ANYWAYS.

Arm teachers? **** you Texas.

Dude, an elementary school. Wear those NRA hats proudly, you ignorant ********. Every gawdamn one of you.
Old 24th May 2022, 03:42 PM   #95
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
If true, another datum in the piling statistics that tell us that merely possessing a firearm increases the chance of being shot. Having no guns is safer, in terms of dying by the gun, than having them.
I know this from personal family history.
Old 24th May 2022, 03:45 PM   #96
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Stop posting their ******* names and faces! They should undergo Damnatio memoriae.
Old 24th May 2022, 03:47 PM   #97
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The Texas Attorney General needs to go sit in the corner and play hide and go **** himself. I won't link the ****'s tweets.

Last edited by Craig4; 24th May 2022 at 03:48 PM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 04:10 PM   #98
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The Texas Attorney General needs to go sit in the corner and play hide and go **** himself. I won't link the ****'s tweets.
To me, an attorney general being under indictment for corruption and sitll holding office is just incredible.
But then this is Texas.
God, I despise that state.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 24th May 2022, 04:11 PM   #99
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Stop posting their ******* names and faces! They should undergo Damnatio memoriae.
I'm saying it since 500 mass shooting ago.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 04:11 PM   #100
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And the bigots will make a big deal out of the shooter being Hispanic. you know that is coming.
Homicidal maniacs come in all colors, sadly.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 24th May 2022, 04:21 PM   #101
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And the bigots will make a big deal out of the shooter being Hispanic. you know that is coming.
Homicidal maniacs come in all colors, sadly.
He was a citizen so I assume born here.

Not that that will matter to the bigots.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 04:38 PM   #102
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

EIGHTEEN CHILDREN and TWO ADULTS now dead. The shooter bought the weapons, two assault weapons, legally.
Old 24th May 2022, 04:50 PM   #103
shemp

EIGHTEEN CHILDREN and TWO ADULTS now dead. The shooter bought the weapons, two assault weapons, legally.
I'm not seeing that on my sources, do you have a source please?
Old 24th May 2022, 04:51 PM   #104
Rolfe
Adult human female

At least 21 dead including 18 children, according to this tweet from a journalist.

https://twitter.com/StefSimanowitz/s...44198175657986

This is horrendous. It's worse than Dunblane.

ETA: The BBC is still on 14 children and a teacher, but I think they're just behind the curve.

Last edited by Rolfe; 24th May 2022 at 04:55 PM.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 04:53 PM   #105
shemp

None of this is going to stop. We have a political party and a Supreme Court that are hell-bent on burning everything to the ground in the name of a 225-year-old piece of paper and a 2000 year old book that they think gives them the right to do so, and then will pick up what's left after and create the Gilead they want. Then they'll attack China and the Muslim world in the name of Jesus and destroy everything.

Last edited by shemp; 24th May 2022 at 04:55 PM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 04:55 PM   #106
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not seeing that on my sources, do you have a source please?
CNN. I'm watching it now.
Old 24th May 2022, 04:57 PM   #107
shemp

CNN. I'm watching it now.
Thank you. Sadly, you were right.
Old 24th May 2022, 05:08 PM   #108
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Thoughts and prayers.
Mental health.
Must we make this about politics now?
Too soon to talk about gun control.
We need to arm teachers.

Have I missed anything?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 05:11 PM   #109
Rolfe
Adult human female

I see the BBC is now running with 21 dead, 18 children and three adults. It's definitely worse than Dunblane.

The children were aged between seven and ten.

ETA: Having just checked, I see it's not quite as bad as Sandy Hook, and even if a few more deaths are confirmed it's still going to be about evens with Sandy Hook. Sandy Hook changed nothing. As you were.

Last edited by Rolfe; 24th May 2022 at 05:16 PM.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 05:18 PM   #110
crescent
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
/sarcasm
I think you might be judging this prematurely. We had better wait for Alex Jones to weigh in with his great worldly wisdom.

Then we'll know what to think.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 05:24 PM   #111
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

What does ANYONE outside of the military and law enforcement need an assault or assault style weapon for?
Fixed...
Old 24th May 2022, 05:24 PM   #112
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Texas Lt Gov Dan Patrick on Fox says "We have to harden these targets."
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 05:24 PM   #113
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Thoughts and prayers.
Mental health.
Must we make this about politics now?
Too soon to talk about gun control.
We need to arm teachers.

Have I missed anything?
"Heidi & I are fervently lifting up in prayer the children and families in the horrific shooting in Uvalde."
Ted Cruz

SCREW YOU, Cruz. You're part of the problem.

ETA:

Last edited by Stacyhs; 24th May 2022 at 06:18 PM.
Old 24th May 2022, 05:26 PM   #114
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by PitPat View Post
Been watching Fox news coverage, just out of curiosity on the spin. Main message is that why don't these elementary schools have armed SRO's at each entrance, with metal detectors. Doesn't seem practical at any level (sure, guns in grade school). "Good guys with a gun."
It's a largely impractical idea at any school, but it's literally impossible at a school like the particular one this shooting happened at.

I went to an elementary school in Texas that was arranged exactly like this. Except for the gymnasium, cafeteria, and office areas, it's not one or two large buildings with internal hallways and a few entrances that can be locked or guarded. Most of the school consists of wings of classrooms and each classroom has its own exterior door. The common walkways are all outside and only covered with an awning.

Except for that office area, the school is for all practical purposes indefensible. And why wouldn't it be? It wasn't built with security from an armed attack in mind.

ETA: Streetview link - have a look and see what I mean.

Last edited by Checkmite; 24th May 2022 at 05:30 PM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 05:28 PM   #115
Kestrel
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
I see the BBC is now running with 21 dead, 18 children and three adults. It's definitely worse than Dunblane.

The children were aged between seven and ten.

ETA: Having just checked, I see it's not quite as bad as Sandy Hook, and even if a few more deaths are confirmed it's still going to be about evens with Sandy Hook. Sandy Hook changed nothing. As you were.
Connecticut changed state laws after Sandy Hook. The NRA grip on Congress prevented anything from being done at the federal level.
Kestrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 05:28 PM   #116
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Greg Abbott tweet from 2015

"I'm EMBARRASSED: Texas #2 in nation for new gun purchases, behind CALIFORNIA. Let's pick up the pace Texans. @NRA"

https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/st...27797853536256
Old 24th May 2022, 05:33 PM   #117
marting
Illuminator

To me, an attorney general being under indictment for corruption and sitll holding office is just incredible.
But then this is Texas.
God, I despise that state.
Nothing new. i grew up within walking distance of Boston's James M. Curley estate. A beloved and corrupt Massachusetts politician. Was Boston's Mayor and even state Governor at different times. He was also in federal prison while Mayor.

Nothing new under the Sun.
Old 24th May 2022, 05:33 PM   #118
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

None of this is going to stop. We have a political party and a Supreme Court that are hell-bent on burning everything to the ground in the name of a 225-year-old piece of paper and a 2000 year old book that they think gives them the right to do so, and then will pick up what's left after and create the Gilead they want. Then they'll attack China and the Muslim world in the name of Jesus and destroy everything.
A little bit over the top I think.
A. I think it needs some amendments, but I am not read to throw out the Consittuion just yet.
Last sentence is really a bit much.
I expect over the top teenage angst from a teenager, but a grown up should know a little beter.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 24th May 2022 at 05:37 PM.
Old 24th May 2022, 05:34 PM   #119
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Is America the only place that calls Elementary Schools 'targets'?
Old 24th May 2022, 05:35 PM   #120
Warp12
King of Kings

A little bit over the top I think.

Probably no more so than someone suggesting that Republicans need to be shot.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events