IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th June 2022, 10:29 AM   #41
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
And if we are going to cruelly deny Walker of his god-given rightful place as a United States Senator just because of having a whole lot of secret kids, then we'd be never letting another person be Senator again! /s
Serious question: were you under the impression that Walker was not a habitual liar for years? He lied about his college ranking, and that he even graduated at all, and that he returned to graduate. These revelations don't strike me as a huge 'gotcha" so much as "ho-hum, more of the same".

I'm not inclined to believe a word he says, period, so this story is not quite so outrageous to me. This, along side of not really believing a word out of most candidate's mouths in the first place.

That Georgian voters feel otherwise says far more about them than it does about Walker. Some voters you just can't reach.

eta, yeah, this--> fixed that for me

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain

Last edited by Thermal; 16th June 2022 at 10:31 AM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2022, 10:38 AM   #42
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Serious question: were you under the impression that Walker was not a habitual liar for years? He lied about his college ranking, and that he even graduated at all, and that he returned to graduate. These revelations don't strike me as a huge 'gotcha" so much as "ho-hum, more of the same".

I'm not inclined to believe a word he says, period, so this story is not quite so outrageous to me. This, along side of not really believing a word out of most candidate's mouths in the first place.

That Georgian voters feel otherwise says far more about them than it does about Walker. Some voters you just can't reach.

eta, yeah, this--> fixed that for me
I can honestly say that, never having attended a speech or read his book, I was not aware Walker was claiming FBI training or to have been police.

Here's the thing, the vast majority of people don't know about Walker's claims. Even among those that voted for him in the primaries. I'm 99.99% sure you didn't before this thread, either. So the whole 'ho-hum, nothing to see here' defense you're mounting kinda falls flat. I get it, he's on your side of the aisle so you feel you have to come up with some sort of defense, but you really don't. And, if you disagree and feel you really do, please stop with the false equivalence. It's crap.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2022, 11:26 AM   #43
SteveAitch
Muse

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Parenting 1 out of 4(or more) of your kids isn't bad, he was only an absent father for 75+% of his kids.
Well, BB King fathered 15 children (possibly more), none by his wives. But he did look after them financially, even if he was never there...

Plus he wasn't a bad guitarist either.

Some people call me 'strange'. I prefer 'unconventional'. But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'...
SteveAitch is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2022, 11:27 AM   #44
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by SteveAitch View Post
Well, BB King fathered 15 children (possibly more), none by his wives. But he did look after them financially, even if he was never there...

Plus he wasn't a bad guitarist either.
Did he hold himself up as a model of fatherhood during a campaign for national office though?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2022, 11:31 AM   #45
SteveAitch
Muse

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Did he hold himself up as a model of fatherhood during a campaign for national office though?
Well, there is that.

Some people call me 'strange'. I prefer 'unconventional'. But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'...
SteveAitch is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2022, 11:33 AM   #46
Warp12
King of Kings

Well, just as I said in another thread...the truth isn't as important as what people believe when it comes to politics. Here is another shining example.

For a lot of people, what Walker says is the truth. And that might just get him elected.

Last edited by Warp12; 16th June 2022 at 11:35 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2022, 01:04 PM   #47
Cain
Straussian

Here cum the media crowing about a Republican who fathered Black children out of wedlock. Democrats are the real racists.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2022, 04:00 PM   #48
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I beg to differ. It's a recognized mental illness in the DSM V.

http://traumadissociation.com/dissoc...ydisorder.html

I have a friend who has a sister with DID resulting from years of childhood sexual abuse by an older brother.
I know many people formerly diagnosed with DID who agree with me.

http://orphia-nay.blogspot.com/2020/...ties-real.html

Furthermore, the head of the DSM V, Allen Frances, wanted DID taken out of the manual, calling it a fad diagnosis.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/multi...is-i_b_4695915
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2022, 04:19 PM   #49
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Totally OT, but I have to add...

A) It was still a 75 yard return

B) Adam Vinatieri is not your typical kicker.
I concede both points. I still wouldn't vote for him, though!
Old 16th June 2022, 11:45 PM   #50
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Here cum the media crowing about a Republican who fathered Black children out of wedlock. Democrats are the real racists.
Just curious, was that an intended pun?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2022, 12:01 AM   #51
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
The doctor that "diagnosed" Walker has a history of nut-ball claims himself:
Sounds like this guy is a real nutcase himself, but from what I've read of Walker, he may still have got it right. "Walker wrote that he later went to Del Amo Psychiatric Hospital in Torrance, California, for outpatient treatment. There, he said, doctors confirmed the diagnosis and he took part in group therapy with other DID patients, the book said. He provided few other details."

Regardless, DID is a recognized mental disorder in the DSM-V.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2022, 12:13 AM   #52
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
I know many people formerly diagnosed with DID who agree with me.

http://orphia-nay.blogspot.com/2020/...ties-real.html

Furthermore, the head of the DSM V, Allen Frances, wanted DID taken out of the manual, calling it a fad diagnosis.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/multi...is-i_b_4695915
There are many psychiatrists who disagree with Allen Frances and say it is a real condition. It's also recognized by the American Psychiatric Association.

My friend has had to deal with her sister with DID almost her entire life. She doesn't think her sister is faking it as she's witnessed it personally.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 02:34 PM   #53
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Herschel thinks there are 52 states.,,,

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2022, 10:56 PM   #54
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Herschel thinks there are 52 states.,,,
Obama once had a brain fart and said he'd been to 57 states. With him, anyone not so blinded by their own idiocy would know that he knew full well there are 50 states. With Herschel Walker....not so much.
Old 26th June 2022, 11:40 AM   #55
ZiprHead
Muse

How many kids is he up to today?

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2022, 03:27 PM   #56
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
How many kids is he up to today?
This isn't the Gaetz thread.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2022, 06:30 PM   #57
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Seriously, how can anyone with an IQ over 40 vote for someone who is certified mentally ill? Never mind, I know the answer.
Some repub politicians are certified. For the rest it is merely blatantly obvious. And people tend to vote for those most like themselves.
Old 26th June 2022, 06:50 PM   #58
Warp12
King of Kings

This is looking like a case where everyone clowns on this guy for being stupid and/or mentally ill, and then he ends up winning. The consolation prize is that the losers find solace in knowing how smart they are. Sounds familiar.
Old 26th June 2022, 11:26 PM   #59
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
This is looking like a case where everyone clowns on this guy for being stupid and/or mentally ill, and then he ends up winning. The consolation prize is that the losers find solace in knowing how smart they are. Sounds familiar.
Looks more like a case of where everyone clowns on this guy for being stupid and/or mentally ill and then he ends up winning revealing just how stupid some voters are.
Old 27th June 2022, 12:02 AM   #60
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Winning wouldn't prove that he's not stupid and/or mentally ill.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 07:18 AM   #61
plague311
Great minds think...

You're openly saying you believe he's stupid or mentally ill, but you aren't taking your political party to task for exploiting him for his name recognition rather than asking him to bow out and get help? The Rudy's, the Sid's, etc. There seems to be a growing problem of mental illness and you don't seem to be bothered that it's running rampant through one political party.

That's what I'd be doing.

Also, that profile pic for you is absolutely, 100%, and without a doubt spot on. I couldn't have picked a better one myself. That pic, especially within the context of the movie, and what it represents in the movie is just *chef's kiss*. Well done.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 08:21 AM   #62
BazBear
Possible Suspect

Originally Posted by Stellafane View Post
One time while returning a kickoff, Walker got caught from behind and tackled -- by the kicker. That alone disqualifies him from public office.
Every time I hear or read Herschel Walker's name, I flash back to that great play by Vinatieri.
BazBear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2022, 06:42 PM   #63
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

We have an acquaintance in N GA that we met through dog rescue. She seems to be a bright, sensitive, caring individual. She’s a pretty rabid Trump supporter, but in our neck of the woods at least 3 out of 4 folks are, so that’s not surprising. I follow her on Facebook and was still surprised by this post and the followup:

Check the number of likes and retweets!

It’s like a bizarre upside down world. The man is clearly mentally challenged and inarticulate and uneducated, but they see something very, very different. Just very weird to me.

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 19th August 2022 at 06:45 PM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2022, 06:51 PM   #64
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Unfortunately, when you meet people and get acquainted with them in some way, you sometimes don't find out they are complete ******* idiots until much later.
Old 19th August 2022, 09:42 PM   #65
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
We have an acquaintance in N GA that we met through dog rescue. She seems to be a bright, sensitive, caring individual. She’s a pretty rabid Trump supporter, but in our neck of the woods at least 3 out of 4 folks are, so that’s not surprising. I follow her on Facebook and was still surprised by this post and the followup:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...4fb28028_z.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...1c168a27_w.jpg

It’s like a bizarre upside down world. The man is clearly mentally challenged and inarticulate and uneducated, but they see something very, very different. Just very weird to me.

There’s also a lot of CTE going around with ex-football players.
Old 19th August 2022, 10:48 PM   #66
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...4fb28028_z.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...1c168a27_w.jpg

It's not 'weird' to me: it's damn scary. Walker is clearly mentally impaired, uneducated, and a liar. He is mentally incapable of handling the job of a US senator. Yet, partisanship is so strong that the latest 538 poll shows Walker at 44.4% (Warnock is polling at 46.2%). It's scary but not surprising. This is the same party that idolizes a narcissistic sociopath, pathological liar, grifter, and criminal.
Old 4th October 2022, 12:39 PM   #67
shemp

Herschel's son Christian goes nuclear on his dad.

Quote:
I’ve stayed silent for nearly two years as my whole life has been lied about publicly. I did ONE campaign event, then said I didn’t want involvement.

Don’t you dare test my authenticity. Here is the full story:
https://twitter.com/ChristianWalk1r/...84445367042049
Old 4th October 2022, 01:20 PM   #68
crescent
Philosopher

And they've got receipts and checks and everything else detailing that Walker asked a girlfriend to get an abortion and also paid for that abortion. I have seen some pro-life people defending Walker because that's just one abortion but his opponent will use public money to fund many abortions.

Walker's son also claims that the family had to move six times in six months to get away from Walker's violence.

Much of the right and some of the left are just focusing on what an ashhat Christian Walker can be. He is, but that's irrelevant to the truth or fiction of what he said.

The other on going theory is that this will affect Walker about as much as Trump's "grab them in the p****" statement affected him. Hardly at all, because Republicans are not much bothered by hypocrisy. He'll vote the way they want, beyond that they don't care what he does or says.

Last edited by crescent; 4th October 2022 at 01:21 PM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2022, 01:32 PM   #69
Random
Illuminator

"First they say that I shouldn't have secret children. Now, they say I shouldn't pay for a secret abortion. Why can't liberals make up their minds?"
Old 4th October 2022, 02:09 PM   #70
shemp

Anyway, the fetus was a Democrat, so it had it coming!
Old 4th October 2022, 02:34 PM   #71
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

Russian roulette

I am less concerned about his statements regarding his number of children than I am about his overall mental health and the possibility that he has CTE.
Old 4th October 2022, 03:42 PM   #72
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
I am less concerned about his statements regarding his number of children than I am about his overall mental health and the possibility that he has CTE.
Yep, same, and that article doesn't even mention his belief in his having multiple personalities.
https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?id=4156516&page=1
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2022, 03:48 PM   #73
Fidelio
Graduate Poster

Ya think maybe it's a test? Just how horrible a person can we run and still get votes.
.. The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan
Fidelio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2022, 04:31 PM   #74
shemp

Originally Posted by Fidelio View Post
Ya think maybe it's a test? Just how horrible a person can we run and still get votes.
Almost every Republican candidate is a part of that test.
Old 4th October 2022, 04:47 PM   #75
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fidelio View Post
In this GOP, vile scumbag candidates aren't a bug, they're a feature.

I'm not joking or exaggerating in any way.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2022, 04:53 PM   #76
trustbutverify
Philosopher

What's the consolation prize for the women (and children) he beat into pulp and terrorized and threatened to kill with a gun to the head?

Maybe they were smug liberals who got what was coming to them.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2022, 05:36 PM   #77
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
You're right, Chris. This isn't just a case on a none-too-bright candidate. He has symptoms of CTE as mental health professionals are warning us:

Quote:
Duty To Warn 🔉
@duty2warn
As mental health professionals, we find it disturbing that Herschel Walker is being paraded by the right as a viable candidate for office. He is neither consistently coherent nor entirely self-aware. Fast forward a couple of years. We'll all see the sad results of advancing CTE.

·
Quote:
Aug 20
Replying to
@duty2warn
For those not aware, CTE is Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy. It's a neurodegenerative disease linked to repeated trauma to the head. The symptoms can include behavioral problems, mood problems, and problems with thinking. The disease almost always gets worse over time.
They were right about Trump.
Old 4th October 2022, 05:38 PM   #78
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

And the 'winners' get a mentally ill man with severe symptoms of CTE as a senator. That's some win there!
Old 4th October 2022, 05:42 PM   #79
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

And the 'winners' get a mentally ill man with severe symptoms of CTE as a senator. That's some win there!
Tbh, he doesn't seem to stand out as anything much different in the GQP.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2022, 06:49 PM   #80
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Why don't they just make violent head trauma a prerequisite for party membership and get it over with.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics