ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th February 2018, 04:15 AM   #41
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BigDog?wprov=sfla1

Big Dog wasn't human controlled in the sense of humans realtime controlling the walking etc.
Nor was it on an aimless ramble around the building when it happened upon a door it fancied opening, whistled up a mate with an arm, explained what it wanted the other robot to do, and so on. The robots have learnt how to walk and balance. They haven't learnt where to walk, which doors to open, communication with instructions to other robots, and so on. Nor is the stuff they do controlled on-board: they are controlled or programmed remotely on a big fancy computer. They are not the autonomous "creatures" that people think they are seeing.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2018, 05:04 AM   #42
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Nor was it on an aimless ramble around the building when it happened upon a door it fancied opening, whistled up a mate with an arm, explained what it wanted the other robot to do, and so on. The robots have learnt how to walk and balance. They haven't learnt where to walk, which doors to open, communication with instructions to other robots, and so on. Nor is the stuff they do controlled on-board: they are controlled or programmed remotely on a big fancy computer. They are not the autonomous "creatures" that people think they are seeing.
Big Dog isn't the yellow ones, it's the one that you see walking outside, going up hills, walking on ice. And it was directed by humans, in other words instructed where to walk and where to get to.

ETA: All the locomotive control was and is on board, there is no separate computing unit.

Last edited by Darat; 16th February 2018 at 05:06 AM.
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2018, 05:12 AM   #43
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Ah OK, I was talking about the wrong ones. Those are the load carrying ones, for squaddies who are too lazy to carry their own Bergens.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2018, 05:39 AM   #44
Tolls
Illuminator

The little yellow ones are called Spot Mini.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2018, 10:22 AM   #45
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'd guess it's a remote that tells them what direction to go, but does not control the leg action which they have to figure out on their own.

Kind of like the very popular drones we have now -- the controller tells them where to go but does not control flight stability, which is robotic.
Old 16th February 2018, 03:12 PM   #46
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Big Dog isn't the yellow ones, it's the one that you see walking outside, going up hills, walking on ice. And it was directed by humans, in other words instructed where to walk and where to get to.

ETA: All the locomotive control was and is on board, there is no separate computing unit.
That is my understanding too: the on-board electronics integrate the actions of the actuators/motors to allow the robots to stand up, bend, twist, move smoothly, and balance- roughly equivalent to the functions of our cerebellums. The higher order instructions to go forward, go backward, turn, etc. are mostly controlled by humans through joystick-like interfaces.

Although without this knowledge the videos may be somewhat misleading to some viewers, I still find it pretty amazing. The life-like movements and uncanny balance are fully electronically controlled. No, they are not currently configured to prowl about on their own making executive level decisions. But the next step, linking them to computers able to confer higher order control, will seem to be trivial. Autonomously navigating from one location to another by GPS is probably already well within their reach, as would be any or all of the image and LIDAR recognition features already present in autonomous cars. The possibilities seem nearly endless to me: anything a computer can do on screen can instead be used to control of one of these robots using wireless communication no more complex than that currently used for flying drones.
Giordano is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2018, 03:13 PM   #47
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I'd guess it's a remote that tells them what direction to go, but does not control the leg action which they have to figure out on their own.

Kind of like the very popular drones we have now -- the controller tells them where to go but does not control flight stability, which is robotic.
Yes- a very good analogy.
Giordano is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2018, 07:19 AM   #48
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
You mean like this?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Not just creepy but totally terrifying!
My first association - sans the sound - was a pantomime horse. When you like at BigDog sideways, it looks just like two people standing/walking positioned face to face.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2018, 08:44 AM   #49
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
My first association - sans the sound - was a pantomime horse. When you like at BigDog sideways, it looks just like two people standing/walking positioned face to face.
There's a parody video somewhere in this thread that is exactly that.
Old 17th February 2018, 08:55 AM   #50
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
There's a parody video somewhere in this thread that is exactly that.
Indeed:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 17th February 2018, 01:04 PM   #51
Elagabalus
Master Poster

It's nice to see that Spot Mini has its rear legs in the Mother Nature Approved configuration.

Quote:
In other news, researchers at Berkley have revealed the new "Chief Bottle Washer Pro"!

Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology