IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags DeSantis , electioneering , florida , immigration

Old 6th October 2022, 06:27 PM   #921
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yeah we have a term for people who joined the Nazi Party out pragmatism or expedience or because "I'm totally not a Nazi but loookit how triggered da Jews are."

That term is "Nazi"
Old 6th October 2022, 06:47 PM   #922
MarkCorrigan
¡No pasarán!

Which ignores those who used their positions in the party to help the Jews et al.

When I give food to the poor, they call me a Saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist. - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2022, 04:32 AM   #923
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
Which ignores those who used their positions in the party to help the Jews et al.
Which Jews?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2022, 04:55 AM   #924
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Which Jews?
The ones on the famous list, I'd guess.
Old 7th October 2022, 07:29 AM   #925
MarkCorrigan
¡No pasarán!

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Which Jews?
Not sure if you're seriously asking but well... These for a start.

Also look up the activities of Gert Frobe and Albert Goring.

When I give food to the poor, they call me a Saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist. - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2022, 07:31 AM   #926
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I figured you could help Jews more by not being a Nazi.
Old 7th October 2022, 07:33 AM   #927
MarkCorrigan
¡No pasarán!

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
But they weren't Nazis, they were members of the party because they pretty much had to be.

Are you genuinely not aware of Oskar Schindler's story? That his position in the Nazi party enabled him to grease palms and save over a thousand people?

Again, actual Nazis were and still are evil. Members of the party during 1933-1945 who used their position to work against the aims of the party were not.

Old 7th October 2022, 07:47 AM   #928
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Some of y'all will nitpick the most ridiculous stuff. Absolutely none of this could possibly end with "... so let's not jump to conclusions when someone is okay with Nazis."
I Am The Scum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2022, 08:10 AM   #929
MarkCorrigan
¡No pasarán!

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Some of y'all will nitpick the most ridiculous stuff. Absolutely none of this could possibly end with "... so let's not jump to conclusions when someone is okay with Nazis."
Oh absolutely. I agree with that. People who believe Nazi ideologies are awful people period. No discussion. No argument. If you're a Nazi, you're a ******* waste of skin.

Old 7th October 2022, 03:12 PM   #930
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
That's assuming you have a way to be effective in prevention at the start. If not, then you might find yourself in a Nazi state, where visibly taking the side of the Jews would be at best futile and at worst fatal. So you have to decide the most useful way to operate within it. In the real world, values are almost always alloyed. Pure good is theoretical, but rarely practical. That you can't save them all is a poor reason not to save any.

From the world's point of view, rescuing a single dog doesn't change the world, but from the dog's point of view, it sure does. If we always wait for the opportunity to do what we are told we should, we may miss the opportunity to do what we can.

One does, of course, run into some standard dilemmas, and perhaps a person such as Schindler could have done the noble thing and either refused to work within the system and been a martyr, uttering timeless aphorisms as he was shot, or refused to work within the system and emigrated, uttering timeless wisdom in his diatribes against the tyrants.

In some Philosophy 101 environments, this would be considered more moral than staying and pretending to be a Nazi and trying to save a few people, knowing that he must lie, and keep silent as many others perish. Better, some would say, to disavow the whole thing and let the Nazis shoulder the whole responsibility. If there's a god who judges at the end and sets things right, maybe that's the best thing, but it's cold comfort to the people who might have been saved and were not because it's bad form to play god.

To me this has nothing to do with the question of whether an ideological Nazi can be a good person, to which I resoundingly say "no," but more to do with the ethics of what amounts to a kind of espionage.

Purposely snide and hopefully jocular warning here to Joe Morgue: you have, as I recall, expressed a robust dislike of philosophy in general. Let us not, then, condemn Schindler for what appears to have been a resounding rejection of Kant.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2022, 03:35 PM   #931
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

DeSantis is still banging the drum. DeSantis appeared very angry at the news conference Tuesday, warning would-be looters, "We're a Second Amendment state."
Quote:
Three of four suspects arrested in Lee County on looting charges were in the country illegally, according to Gov. Ron DeSantis. Florida’s Republican Governor made the announcement Tuesday during a news conference in Fort Myers about the response to Hurricane Ian. He has touted “law and order” in Southwest Florida following the destruction from the Category 4 hurricane, and Tuesday’s update connected that effort with his opposition to President Joe Biden’s immigration policies.

“These are people that are foreigners, they’re illegally in our country, but not only that, they try to loot and ransack in the aftermath of a natural disaster,” DeSantis told reporters. “They should be prosecuted, but they need to be sent back to their home country. They should not be here at all.” News link Florida Politics dot com
As emergency crews searched devastated areas of the state, the death toll from Ian has risen to over 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Everything is political.jpg (106.5 KB, 8 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2022, 03:37 PM   #932
MarkCorrigan
¡No pasarán!

DeSantis really is awful isn't he?

I wonder, which is the bigger idiot, him or Josh Hawley?

Last edited by MarkCorrigan; 7th October 2022 at 03:38 PM.
Old 7th October 2022, 07:49 PM   #933
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
DeSantis is still banging the drum. DeSantis appeared very angry at the news conference Tuesday, warning would-be looters, "We're a Second Amendment state."

As emergency crews searched devastated areas of the state, the death toll from Ian has risen to over 100.
So why weren't they shot on the spot? They are "illegals", they were looting, it's a 2A state...just shoot them! Go ahead! BANG, right through the head. It's all good - Ron said it was. Just do it, and put it on Youtube too as a warning to other would-be illegals.

I'm waiting...

Oh, and just to be clear, this is SARCASM!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2022, 08:14 PM   #934
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

DeSantis is on a roll.
Quote:
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said in an interview this week that the national media wanted Hurricane Ian to hit Tampa Bay, broadly claiming that coverage of the deadly storm was motivated by a "political agenda."...DeSantis' office then pointed to a number of local and national stories primarily focused on Hurricane Ian and climate change. Link to Axios dot com
Of course this begs the question: is one of the aspects of climate change more intense and deadly hurricanes? But DeSantis won't talk about that. I'm sure he's gotten his marching orders from the corporate donors: "Leave that one alone, Ron. Just don't talk about it." No sir, just target the media and immigrants.

Real leadership.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg That lousy media.jpg (46.0 KB, 9 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2022, 08:20 PM   #935
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Wow. Coverage of a devastating hurricane is just a politically motivated attack on him.

Exactly how is everything about you, Ron? What a ******* child.
Old 7th October 2022, 11:11 PM   #936
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
Wow. Coverage of a devastating hurricane is just a politically motivated attack on him.

Exactly how is everything about you, Ron? What a ******* child.
Well, after all... Hurricane Ian was the result of the Left's Deep State "weather manipulation technology" targeting red counties in a red state according to two right-wing jerks.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2022, 11:34 PM   #937
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Well, after all... Hurricane Ian was the result of the Left's Deep State "weather manipulation technology" targeting red counties in a red state according to two right-wing jerks.

Don't forget those Jewish Space Lasers Stacy...
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2022, 06:31 AM   #938
MarkCorrigan
¡No pasarán!

The nickname Duh Santis really is accurate isn't it?

Still, I'd say this definitely makes him very like Trump in one way. He's a thin skinned narcissist.

Old 8th October 2022, 07:49 AM   #939
Venom
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
The nickname Duh Santis really is accurate isn't it?

Still, I'd say this definitely makes him very like Trump in one way. He's a thin skinned narcissist.
I think DeSantis is quite thick-skinned and is just using Trump's script.

He even does the invisible accordion crap. Shamless imitation of Trump mannerisms and tactics.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2022, 08:10 AM   #940
Mojo
Mostly harmless

And he entered the country illegally.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2022, 09:16 AM   #941
sackett
Philosopher

Wouldn't it be nice if all narcissists were intelligent and clever? The world would be more dangerous, but more dramatic too.

But dull, stupid, and brutish narcissists? Christ, but they make you feel dirty. God blast and damn the interweb for constantly exposing us to their filth.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2022, 04:10 PM   #942
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

...Exactly how is everything about you, Ron?...
DeSantis appears to be as transactional as trump. There's a method to the madness. By framing everything as 'about me' it allows them (DeSantis and trump) to control the conversation. Which is what they're really after. Especially with issues for which they have no clear policy.
Old 8th October 2022, 04:24 PM   #943
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

DeSantis appears to be as transactional as trump. There's a method to the madness. By framing everything as 'about me' it allows them (DeSantis and trump) to control the conversation. Which is what they're really after. Especially with issues for which they have no clear policy.
Not exactly sophisticated. It's the mentality of every toddler who doesn't get to eat ice cream whenever they want.
Old 8th October 2022, 06:16 PM   #944
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Not exactly sophisticated. It's the mentality of every toddler who doesn't get to eat ice cream whenever they want.
Which is why they appeal to so many who have the emotional IQ of a toddler. We won't mention actual IQ's.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2022, 12:15 PM   #945
Gulliver Foyle
Muse

So does that mean that Floridans have an obligation to shoot republican office holders on sight?
Gulliver Foyle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2022, 04:18 PM   #946
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gulliver Foyle View Post
So does that mean that Floridans have an obligation to shoot republican office holders on sight?
How do they know those emergency workers picking through the wreckage are REAL emergency workers? They could be looters pretending to be emergency workers. Best to shoot them first and ask questions later. Ron DeSantis approves this message.
Old 9th October 2022, 04:21 PM   #947
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gulliver Foyle View Post
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2022, 09:31 AM   #948
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

As reported by the Cape Cod Times, this incident appears to have been inspired by DeSantis's stunt.

Quote:
An off-duty officer with the Massachusetts National Guard who chased a tour bus he thought was bringing migrants to Cape Cod last month has been summonsed to appear in Falmouth District Court on multiple charges, Falmouth police Lt. Michael Simoneau said.

Lt. Col. Christopher Hoffman, 51, followed the bus — which turned out to have been transporting 37 senior citizens from Tennessee on a tour of Cape Cod — for approximately 10 miles, in the evening, from the Bourne Rotary to the Admiralty Inn & Suites in Falmouth. He live-streamed his pursuit of the bus on his Facebook page.

....snip....

A portion of the video Hoffman made while chasing the bus was obtained by the Times. In it, Hoffman jubilantly praises Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis' efforts to send migrants who crossed the Southern U.S. border to Cape Cod. He thought the bus was full of migrants because Tallahassee, Florida, was written on the side of the vehicle.
After 10 miles of terrorizing the bus's passengers by tail-gating and making dangerous lane changes to prevent the bus from getting away from him, "Hoffman got into a verbal altercation with passengers on the bus" after it arrived at the hotel, boarding the bus himself to have it out with the terrorized senior citizens. When police arrived, they "tried to calm him down" but were unable to do so. "They eventually sent him to the hospital in an ambulance."

Charges include "operating under the influence of liquor, negligent operation of a motor vehicle, possession of an open container of alcohol in a motor vehicle and disorderly conduct".
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2022, 02:33 PM   #949
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by W.D.Clinger View Post
As reported by the Cape Cod Times, this incident appears to have been inspired by DeSantis's stunt.

After 10 miles of terrorizing the bus's passengers by tail-gating and making dangerous lane changes to prevent the bus from getting away from him, "Hoffman got into a verbal altercation with passengers on the bus" after it arrived at the hotel, boarding the bus himself to have it out with the terrorized senior citizens. When police arrived, they "tried to calm him down" but were unable to do so. "They eventually sent him to the hospital in an ambulance."

Charges include "operating under the influence of liquor, negligent operation of a motor vehicle, possession of an open container of alcohol in a motor vehicle and disorderly conduct".
Sounds to me like someone needs a mental health evaluation.
Old 21st October 2022, 07:23 PM   #950
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
I think we can skip ahead straight to the padded room and straitjacket.
Old 21st October 2022, 07:35 PM   #951
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

In court he'll plead insantisy.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2022, 07:56 PM   #952
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Ron-Ron-D should pay for his legal defense.
Old 22nd October 2022, 06:24 AM   #953
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

His commanding officer agrees with you:
Quote:
“The Massachusetts National Guard considers the conduct of this soldier to be inappropriate and inconsistent with our military values," Col. Mark Kalin, Commander of the Massachusetts Army National Guard, said in the statement to the Times. "We are currently working to ensure our service member is evaluated and receives any services he may need, while also reviewing appropriate disciplinary actions. The incident is currently under investigation and no further information is available at this time.”
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics