ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags favorite books , recommended books

Old 15th October 2014, 11:40 AM   #4761
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xterra View Post
And thus my aging memory fails me....
It happens to us all.
May I please have more information on this publisher? Perhaps the books are available on this side of the pond.
Pan-McMillian, they list her books here and ship worldwide AFAIK. However they're Stg£15, and attempting an order gets the message that it'll be dispatched when available so they may not all be in print.

I encountered my first Manning Coles book on my parents' bookshelves, sometime about 1955. I got hooked immediately.
I was recommended him by Michael Gallagher in Murder Ink a few years ago, when RM started to reprint him.
Another series author who just came to mind: Maurice Proctor, whose character was DCI Harry Martineau.
I think I read Hell Is a City year ago, I must have a look for more. Thanks.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2014, 12:07 PM   #4762
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Quote:
they're Stg£15

What does this mean??
Old 15th October 2014, 01:14 PM   #4763
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

What does this mean??
Fifteen pounds Sterling.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2014, 05:04 PM   #4764
xterra
So far, so good...

Aha. It was "Stg" that left me confused. "£15" would have been clear.

Thanks.
Old 16th October 2014, 09:29 AM   #4765
COLONEL
Sniper of the Galactic Universe

I am reading, No Easy Day, By Mark Owens. So far it is interesting, especially how the Obama administration prolonged them from rescuing Capt. Philips because he did not want the pirates killed. It almost allowed Osama Bin Laden to escape because it dragged its feet on giving the go ahead for the mission to take place and again it was because they did not want Bin Laden killed.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end" - R. J. Wiedermann LtCol. USMC Ret.
COLONEL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2014, 09:38 AM   #4766
Denver
Philosopher

Starting into Mythology: Timeless Tales of Gods and Heroes, by Edith Hamilton
Old 28th October 2014, 02:38 PM   #4767
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

Just finished John Sandford's latest Virgil Flowers novel Deadline. Excellent as usual.
Old 28th October 2014, 04:36 PM   #4768
Bram Kaandorp
Master Poster

I just finished Sundiver by David Brin.

Interesting, and I'm considering reading the second one, possibly even all of the Uplift books.

Gotta say though, for an action filled book, we spend an awful lot of time in the hero's head, especially considering that it's written in third person.
Old 29th October 2014, 05:00 AM   #4769
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

I'm reading Cornerstone: Raising Rook by KA Krisko, also known as our very own Tiktaalik. If you've ever complained the fantasy genre is too mired in its swords and sorcery tropes, this book is for you. It's really well written, and excellently paced. The main character is initially as ignorant as the reader about what's going on, but you both learn at just the right speed - fast enough avoid frustration, but slow enough not to lose its sense of intrigue.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2014, 09:01 AM   #4770
Pooneil
Scholar

I have recently started listening to audio books while exercising. My library recently added Remembrance of Things Past/In Search of Lost Time. So far I am a bit over half way through Swann's Way, into the Swann in Love section.

What I can say about it is that it is great while walking. The words and images evoked are remarkable and the minimal plot means one doesn't miss the thread of the book when one's concentration drifts. The period covered by the book is the era of impressionist painting. The descriptions of French bourgeois attitudes, manners and customs really enhances the enjoyment of the art.

Last edited by Pooneil; 29th October 2014 at 09:54 AM.
Pooneil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2014, 02:22 PM   #4771
Bram Kaandorp
Master Poster

I've started reading Five Weeks In A Balloon by Jules Verne, but stopped after reading chapter 5. I know that the book is old, so I kept that in mind with regard to the style of writing. Sadly, even that didn't stop me from finding the descriptions of the past expeditions more than a little tedious.

Please, someone tell me that it gets better, because I want to give it an honest try, but the constant interruptions to give a qualification are putting me off.

I realise that I'm not required to read it, but what with it being one of the first real science fiction novels, I don't want to put it aside and know that I've given up on a good novel.

For the moment, I'm going to make a detour, and read The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. Not that I hadn't read it before, but this would be the first time I would read it in book-form, instead of audio book.
Old 3rd November 2014, 02:25 PM   #4772
BStrong
Philosopher

"The History of Love"
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2014, 01:18 PM   #4773
calebprime
Somewhat Elitist Parasite

Just finished _Among the Believers_, intend to read more non-fiction by V. S. Naipul.

The subject of _The Skeleton Crew_ -- amateur internet sleuths who sometimes succeed in solving cold cases -- interests me a lot. If things were a little different, I could see doing that myself. But the book is too disjointed and poorly-written to be much of a pleasure.

Don't they edit books these days? (Lawn, get off, etc.)
Old 18th November 2014, 02:51 PM   #4774
calebprime

_Revival_ Stephen King. IMO, slightly better than the previous one, but all of his stuff in recent memory seems generic, recycled from spare parts. Or maybe he's determined never to go over anybody's head, lest someone feel insulted. If anyone in his books has an original idea, it must get edited out.

Even the details about music aren't really right. Not terribly wrong, just not right:

Quote:
...Then realized I could use the same three chords [E, A, and D] to play "Gloria"...and "Louie Louie"...
(Why is this not right? It's a mistake I've heard from other semi-musicians like King. Go listen to "Louie, Louie".)
Old 18th November 2014, 08:41 PM   #4775
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by calebprime View Post

Even the details about music aren't really right. Not terribly wrong, just not right:

(Why is this not right? It's a mistake I've heard from other semi-musicians like King. Go listen to "Louie, Louie".)
Well, keep in mind that he said he could play it, not that he could play it well.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2014, 05:23 AM   #4776
calebprime

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Well, keep in mind that he said he could play it, not that he could play it well.
A terrible train-wreck would occur if Stephen King sat in with the Kingsmen.

(Setting aside the fact that the recording of Louie Louie is in Ab, a hard key for guitar. Let's imagine they played it in A.)

Kingsmen: A, D, E minor

King: A, D, E (major)

That's a minor V chord in Louie, Louie.

There are only six pitches involved in those three chords. Get one wrong and your performance is -- according to my calculations -- 16.667% wrong. That's very wrong.

It's little details like that that make the difference between someone who really loves music and has a good ear, and someone who just does it for ***** and giggles; or between a novel that speaks with authority and one that just seems churned out.

Last edited by calebprime; 19th November 2014 at 05:26 AM.
calebprime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2014, 07:28 AM   #4777
Denver
Philosopher

The New Annotated H.P. Lovecraft (Oct 13, 2014)

I've read all of Lovecraft's stories, and a good hunk of his poetry, but few of his letters, and no biography books. I am loving this one: it's a beautiful hardback of nearly 1000 pages, covering only about 20 stories, but with a copious amount of background, annotations, and pictures.
Old 20th November 2014, 12:04 PM   #4778
COLONEL
Sniper of the Galactic Universe

Mirage by my favorite author Clive Cussler
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end" - R. J. Wiedermann LtCol. USMC Ret.
COLONEL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2014, 01:05 PM   #4779
Pianoro
Scholar

Originally Posted by Denver View Post
The New Annotated H.P. Lovecraft (Oct 13, 2014)

I've read all of Lovecraft's stories, and a good hunk of his poetry, but few of his letters, and no biography books. I am loving this one: it's a beautiful hardback of nearly 1000 pages, covering only about 20 stories, but with a copious amount of background, annotations, and pictures.
I am just right now re-reading "At the Mountains of Madness".
Pianoro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2014, 10:52 AM   #4780
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

Bn Elton's Time and Again. Good book, excellent research.
Old 24th November 2014, 10:59 AM   #4781
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Richard Morgan's The Dark Defiles He does grimdark quite amusingly. I strongly recommend starting with The Steel Remains, which is the first book in the trilogy,.

Here's a review of that book, which is pretty accurate (I have posted it here before)

Quote:
This is a good book. It may very well be part of a really great series. It's an extreme book, a challenging book in all kinds of ways – themes, content, and style. It reaches the parts most epic fantasies don't reach and many fantasy readers may not want to have reached. Morgan seems to say to them (RULE10) and you've got to greatly admire (RULE10) in doing so. No-one could accuse him of moving into fantasy in order to take the easy commercial path. NO-ONE.

http://www.oecd.org/els/health-syste...uesteddata.htmlink is 2013 data (2011 Data below):
UK 9.4% of GDP of which 82.8% is state expenditure = 7.8% of GDP from taxes
US 17.7% of GDP of which 47.2% is state expenditure = 8.5% of GDP from taxes
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2014, 05:32 AM   #4782
calebprime

After the elegant, magisterial disdain of V.S. Naipul (_Beyond Belief_), it comes as a bit of a goof to read _Boston Mob_.

True Crime is often written by hacks. This is hack writing, with that lovely frisson of gangsterese. Sort of like listening to your black sheep uncle -- who's still lucid after three drinks -- who was there in the bar when Frank MacCallen broke the bottle on Wimpie's head, leading to a feud that left dozens dead, if you will.

It's in that sweet spot -- bad writing, but still entertaining.
Old 6th December 2014, 03:51 PM   #4783
KDLarsen
Master Poster

Reading a collection of letters and diary notes of a "Danish"* soldier in the Imperial Germany Army during WW1. Apart from a slight bemusement at how efficient the German postal service was running, even during a time of war, it's incredible much detail the letter writer could get away with. Location names as well as local details is mentioned freely. Then again, I'm only up to the summer of 1915, so maybe it'll change along the way.

During the course of the war, the writer, Thyge Thygesen, fought at Nouvron on the Aisne during 1915, and during 1916 he fought at both Verdun and on the Somme. At the latter, he was buried alive when his dugout collapsed. This led to two years of recovery before he was finally released from duty and returned home.

* "Danish" in the sense that he was living in area that had been Danish prior to the war of 1864, and which would return to Denmark following the 1920 plebiscites.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2014, 06:50 PM   #4784
Tiktaalik
Half True Scotsperson

Originally Posted by Ian Osborne View Post
I'm reading Cornerstone: Raising Rook by KA Krisko, also known as our very own Tiktaalik. If you've ever complained the fantasy genre is too mired in its swords and sorcery tropes, this book is for you. It's really well written, and excellently paced. The main character is initially as ignorant as the reader about what's going on, but you both learn at just the right speed - fast enough avoid frustration, but slow enough not to lose its sense of intrigue.
Just saw this, thanks!
Tiktaalik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2014, 06:08 AM   #4785
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Originally Posted by Tiktaalik View Post
Just saw this, thanks!
No problem. When's the sequel coming out?

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2014, 07:59 PM   #4786
Tiktaalik
Half True Scotsperson

No problem. When's the sequel coming out?
I'm about two-thirds done with it, but took a little hiatus because I retired, bought a house, moved, and got a new job. I'm beginning to settle down a bit now, and should be back at work wordsmithing. I have an editor lined up and will likely go with the same cover artist (Howard David Johnson) who created the original castle cover. In other words...I don't know, exactly. But I am working on it!
Tiktaalik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2014, 03:25 AM   #4787
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Originally Posted by Tiktaalik View Post
I'm about two-thirds done with it, but took a little hiatus because I retired, bought a house, moved, and got a new job. I'm beginning to settle down a bit now, and should be back at work wordsmithing. I have an editor lined up and will likely go with the same cover artist (Howard David Johnson) who created the original castle cover. In other words...I don't know, exactly. But I am working on it!
Let me know when it's out. I'm keen to find out where Rook came from, what he actually is and what his motivations are. :-)

Old 9th December 2014, 02:25 PM   #4788
Philosopher

My wife took the lad to the local library and came back with "Killing Patton" off the "most wanted" non-fiction rack.

It is hilariously awful

The art of labeling an argument in a dismissive fashion being used as an argument in and of itself. Ex: Labeling facts as a conspiracy theory
16.5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2014, 03:40 PM   #4789
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 16.5 View Post
My wife took the lad to the local library and came back with "Killing Patton" off the "most wanted" non-fiction rack.

It is hilariously awful
I had to look that one up. At least he didn't blame it on Obama.

bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2014, 05:40 PM   #4790
Tiktaalik
Half True Scotsperson

Let me know when it's out. I'm keen to find out where Rook came from, what he actually is and what his motivations are. :-)
Will do. These should, indeed be answered.
Old 10th December 2014, 11:21 AM   #4791
Son of Inigo
New Blood

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.

Coming from a charismatic, non-denominational, fundamentalist christian background, I keep thinking; 'Man, I am so going to burn in hell".
Son of Inigo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2014, 09:56 PM   #4792
HawaiiBigSis
List Management

Originally Posted by Son of Inigo View Post
The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.

Coming from a charismatic, non-denominational, fundamentalist christian background, I keep thinking; 'Man, I am so going to burn in hell".
If there was a hell to burn in...
Old 15th December 2014, 03:32 PM   #4793
calebprime

I've been trying to figure out why A. M. Holmes' writing bothers me so much. After all, she's a better writer by several orders of magnitude than, say, Stephen King. A couple of reviews of _May We Be Forgiven_ have helped me understand.

The best explanation is by John Waters, from this review:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...-homes-review:

Quote:
Originally posted by John Waters: If Oprah went insane, this might be her favourite book.
It would be wise for me to simply stop reading -- I'm maybe 80 pages in. These aren't dark truths about the way people live now, that I must be open to. This is just spiritual dry-rot. Whatever my despair amounts to, I'll learn nothing about it by reading more.

I could go on, but won't.
Old 15th December 2014, 03:36 PM   #4794
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Calebprime - I see that you've linked to a Guardian review. May I recommend John Crace's "Digested read" column in the gruan? Not, exactly a review, but a digested version of a book in 600 words in the style of the original. Some of them are quite harsh...

http://www.oecd.org/els/health-syste...uesteddata.htmlink is 2013 data (2011 Data below):
UK 9.4% of GDP of which 82.8% is state expenditure = 7.8% of GDP from taxes
US 17.7% of GDP of which 47.2% is state expenditure = 8.5% of GDP from taxes
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2014, 03:43 PM   #4795
calebprime

Hah!

Here's his version of Steven Pinker:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...-steven-pinker
Old 15th December 2014, 07:27 PM   #4796
Fudbucker
Master Poster

The Sicilian, by Mario Puzo. Not as good as The Godfather, but definitely entertaining.

Also, just finished up the Wayward Pines trilogy (supposed to be a Fox show). Was very good pulp fiction.
Fudbucker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2014, 07:50 PM   #4797
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by calebprime View Post
I've been trying to figure out why A. M. Holmes' writing bothers me so much. After all, she's a better writer by several orders of magnitude than, say, Stephen King. A couple of reviews of _May We Be Forgiven_ have helped me understand.

The best explanation is by John Waters, from this review:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...-homes-review:

It would be wise for me to simply stop reading -- I'm maybe 80 pages in. These aren't dark truths about the way people live now, that I must be open to. This is just spiritual dry-rot. Whatever my despair amounts to, I'll learn nothing about it by reading more.

I could go on, but won't.
I am not surprised by this. I have read some of Homes's short stories, and thought them enjoyably zany, but I don't think her brand of craziness can hold up for too long at a time. The kind of imagination we see in The Safety of Objects and Music for Torching is good fun but can only go so far. It's been a long time since I read any of her stuff, but it sounds as if she has not quite figured out where to go from where she was.

Old Today, 09:39 AM   #4798
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
One of my readers is reading that one to me at the moment. We are both finding it so very interesting and learning so much we'd never heard of before! She comes once a week for an hour, so it takes a while to complete a book, but it's really such a pleasure to have things read to me that I can't get in a talking book or braille. This one is probably available in TB I suppose, but we discuss it too of course.

I'm browsing a few of these pages because I really need another TB to last me over the next couple of weeks so I'm hoping to find something just right..
Old Today, 12:16 PM   #4799
xterra
So far, so good...

Susan,

I just re-read Jane Austen's Emma, and am now reading Mansfield Park.

The first has always been a favorite; the second is new to me, and very enjoyable.

xterra

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts