IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags paranormal , skepticism and media

Old 20th November 2020, 06:38 AM   #1
Zetetikosfilm
New Blood

Lightbulb Short film about the paranormal and skepticism

Hi everyone!

I'm an amateur movie director and I just released a short film about the paranormal and skepticism (30 min).

The film is in French, but I created and burnt-in English subtitles, meaning you don't even need to turn on captions

I'm interested in getting feedbacks from the skeptics community.

I’m not allowed to post direct links so enter “zetetikos film” in the youtube search bar or complete the address below with https:

//youtu.be/ag_pFdS9mnM

Thanks!
Zetetikosfilm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2020, 12:27 PM   #2
Ernie M
Muse

Originally Posted by Zetetikosfilm View Post
Hi everyone!

I'm an amateur movie director and I just released a short film about the paranormal and skepticism (30 min).

The film is in French, but I created and burnt-in English subtitles, meaning you don't even need to turn on captions

I'm interested in getting feedbacks from the skeptics community.

I’m not allowed to post direct links so enter “zetetikos film” in the youtube search bar or complete the address below with https:

//youtu.be/ag_pFdS9mnM

Thanks!

Welcome to the ISF, Zetetikosfilm.

I would like to comment, but before I do, it would be helpful if you could give some background information, please.
  • Can you tell us about yourself?
  • Why did you make your film?
  • What inspired you to produce your film?
  • Do you watch, or have you seen, other paranormal movies, or TV shows? If so, would you mind listing them?

Again, welcome to the Forum, and, I look forward to commenting.

-Ernie Marsh

Taking a close look at what you see and hear
on a "Real Life. Drama." TV series.
Ernie M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2020, 01:25 PM   #3
Zetetikosfilm
New Blood

Hi Ernie M, thanks for your reply, here are my answers:

Quote:

Can you tell us about yourself?
My name is Gabriel I'm 36, from France directing short films since 2010 (most of them are animated films but since about 3 years now I'm either directing or helping (editor) on live action projects). I've been raised in a family with strong beliefs (religion and pseudo-science). I started doubting and questioning all that at around the age of 18-19. My grandmother pretends to heal thanks to the laying of hands, which I also had doubts about. In 2005 for a high school project I interviewed (I video recorded it) a so called "medium" followed by a turning table séance (which was also recorded). That's exactly when my doubts became stronger as I understood how he tricked the audience (it was at my grandmother's house, we were 3 young adults and about 6 or 7 way older adults). I knew he used manipulation techniques, but couldn't really put words on that at the time. For some personal reasons I distanced myself from my close family and I discovered skepticism in 2010 by buying a book about the paranormal by Henri Broch which is our "French James Randi". This book answered all the questions I couldn't really speak out within the family circle. Since then I consider myself as a skeptic.

Quote:
Why did you make your film?
I made my movie as an educational material to introduce critical thinking to a large audience . Using paranormal was obvious to me as it's really easy for anyone (or it should be anyways) to understand that it's all based on beliefs, not proof.

Quote:
What inspired you to produce your film?
I've been mostly inspired by James Randi (The Carlos hoax, The Alpha project) as in my movie I trick people in a quite similar way I should say. I've also been inspired by the work of many skeptics I've read, watched and talked with. I wanted to find a way to explain people what is critical thinking and how we trend to believe reliable or trustworthy persons without questioning or double cheking anything most of the time and how easy it is to be fooled by simple tricks, and by ourselves.

Quote:
Do you watch, or have you seen, other paranormal movies, or TV shows? If so, would you mind listing them?
To be honest this is a really tough question as I have indeed watched a lot of movies/series about paranormal. I'm a long time horror films fan but I'll try to give you a short list:

-The Shining (probably my favourite movie of all time)
-Ringu (aka The Ring)
-Dark Waters
-IT (1990 and the remake)
-Paranormal Activity
-Blair Witch
-Chronicles
-The X-Files
-Ghost Adventures (to understand the "techniques")
-Almost all tv/cinema adaptations of Stephen King's books (I've read most of his books btw)
-Poltergeist (1982)

Among many many others...

Last edited by Zetetikosfilm; 20th November 2020 at 01:53 PM.
Zetetikosfilm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2020, 04:06 PM   #4
Ernie M
Muse

You covered many issues

Zetetikosfilm, thank you for your detailed answers, this will help with my feedback.

You covered a lot of topics about beliefs, and gave one description for each scenario, as to how people can jump to inaccurate or wrong conclusions about what they perceived as being of a paranormal causation. But I'm sure you're well aware, that depending on the 'paranormal phenomenon,' there may be more than one answer, just as there's way more than one way to 'telekinetically' bend a spoon.

An example towards the end of your film, when you describe that the medium used hot reading from the purported website you created.

There are so many topics in your film, that from that one film, you could create a whole series of videos to describe psychic/medium readings.

Why, because a psychic/medium can have an assortment of ways for cold reading, hot reading, and warm reading effects (like Barnum statements, also known as the Forer effect). Heck, a 'medium' or 'psychic/medium' can tire or confuse a person with rapid-fire questioning or statements, as a way to enhance the hot/cold/warm...reading.

What would you think of shorter videos, where each video/film covers one, 'paranormal' topic?

I think you did well and had some good friends to help.

Taking a close look at what you see and hear
on a "Real Life. Drama." TV series.
Ernie M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2020, 04:21 PM   #5
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

https://youtu.be/ag_pFdS9mnM

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by Darat; 20th November 2020 at 04:25 PM.
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2020, 05:07 PM   #6
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
https://youtu.be/ag_pFdS9mnM

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
not working for me.
You left a sp ace in the link?
I AGREE
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2020, 05:26 PM   #7
Zetetikosfilm
New Blood

Thanks a lot for your feedback Ernie. Much appreciated!

I completely understand your point about the assortment of techniques used by mediums, clairvoyants, or psychics and how there may be more than one answer depending on the paranormal phenomenon.

I tried to cover as much as I could, keeping in mind, I wanted an entertaining film. This is the reason why some topics are better explained than others. The Polaroid ghost picture is a good example as I never talk about pareidolia (even if some viewers will spot it's a pareidolia I never name it) and I don't really explain how most people misunderstand randomness which I illustrate with the dice in the very same scene.

I would really enjoy creating shorter videos detailing various techniques or paranormal topics with better explanations on the hows and whys. I think it's a very good idea, but probably not as a one man job.

I did have good friends to help and the funny thing is... All of them are believers. I'm not sure about one of them (Sofiane) as he wasn't really clear about that when I asked him. And in a way it was convenient to have believers as actors, making their reactions more natural. I must say that apart from Sofiane it was their first time as actors, in front of a camera for a movie project.

I came up with the scenario, the movie script, and pretty much everything except from the sound design which I had an assistant for (but still I did most of the sound design myself anyways) and finally I edited the whole film. Same for the promotion part, the film is online for 21 days now and I spent most of my time trying to promote it in a way or another. I'm not bragging here, I'm not complaining neither. I did my job as a passionate director, because I badly wanted this film to exist, but that would be nice to have some kind of help for a more detailed project as you suggested. I'll think about that. Your idea is really good, it might encourage me to push me to my limits again.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Last edited by Zetetikosfilm; 20th November 2020 at 06:18 PM.
Old 20th November 2020, 05:32 PM   #8
Zetetikosfilm
New Blood

Your embed link works EHocking, but not the one from Darat. Weird

Anyways thanks a lot to you both for helping me sharing the embed link!
Old 22nd November 2020, 08:54 AM   #9
steenkh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Zetetikosfilm View Post
I did have good friends to help and the funny thing is... All of them are believers. I'm not sure about one of them (Sofiane) as he wasn't really clear about that when I asked him. And in a way it was convenient to have believers as actors, making their reactions more natural. I must say that apart from Sofiane it was their first time as actors, in front of a camera for a movie project.
What do your believer/actors think of your film? Are they still your friends?

I have not had time to watch your film but I will when I get the time.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2020, 10:16 AM   #10
Zetetikosfilm
New Blood

Originally Posted by steenkh View Post

Yes they are still my friends and they enjoyed the film for two reasons:

-They are the kind of people accepting we can have different opinions on things, not having to persuade one another.

-After discussing the scenario with them, I came up with a different ending from the one I initially wrote, even if I have the "last word" (after the first two title screens). I won't spoil here but most of the believers I talked with were more likely to accept criticism of their beliefs thanks to that particular new ending. Again, the very last scene (after the first two title screens) is clearly defending my point. But it seems they don't really take the very last scene into account and that's no surprise to me as they only take what they want, what's comforting their beliefs and completely ignore what's not. Classic.

It was important to me for the believers not to feel attacked or for my message to be accepted and not rejected by them. When the film had my initial ending, it was much more difficult for the believers to enjoy the film so I considered it was counter-productive.

Hope you'll enjoy the film! Thanks for taking the time to watch it

Last edited by Zetetikosfilm; 22nd November 2020 at 10:37 AM.
Old 22nd November 2020, 10:23 AM   #11
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by steenkh View Post

Darat had a typo in the link, that's all. After all we are all fallible humans.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2020, 10:42 AM   #12
Zetetikosfilm
New Blood

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Darat had a typo in the link, that's all. After all we are all fallible humans.
My posts edit history completely agrees with you
Old 27th November 2020, 07:21 AM   #13
Zetetikosfilm
New Blood

I'm now working on a video about Spirit Boxes, but I'll probably open a new YT channel for shorter videos.
Old 28th November 2020, 07:09 PM   #14
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
I enjoyed your film, and am glad to hear you are making another one. The world needs more young skeptics like you.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 03:43 AM   #15
Zetetikosfilm
New Blood

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
I enjoyed your film, and am glad to hear you are making another one. The world needs more young skeptics like you.
Thanks a lot!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal