IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th November 2020, 12:21 PM   #2761
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Fun fact: We use Jabra-brand headsets, and we have Cisco Jabber installed to handle phone traffic.

This has caused confusion.
Case sensitivity?
Old 1st December 2020, 12:23 AM   #2762
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

You really need to roll your R's....
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 12:49 AM   #2763
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Filippo Lippi View Post
You really need to roll your R's....

I assume his work firewalls block rhotic content.
Old 1st December 2020, 06:31 PM   #2764
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
I assume his work firewalls block rhotic content.
That's right. We have to be careful of security.

There are probably a few people in the department who speak with a rhotic accent, but none of them work on the service desk.
Old 3rd December 2020, 08:41 AM   #2765
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

If you need me put a ticket in, call me, e-mail me. If you see me just walking past wave me over and TALK TO ME LIKE I'M A HUMAN BEING.

If you're silently giving me the "beckoning finger" you had better goddamn be an exotic courtesan looking at me coquettishly with bedroom eyes from over the top of a lace fan while reclined on a fancy red velvet settee couch in the window of a brothel in 1920s Lost Generation Paris and not Debra from accounting who's forgotten how to resize an Excel column for the 20th time this month.

And if you snap your fingers at me... die in a fire.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 3rd December 2020 at 08:58 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2020, 10:06 AM   #2766
Faydra
sinning sybarite

Apparently, people are buying $189 faraday cages on Amazon to protect them from those dangerous 5g waves - and are posting bad reviews about them because their wifi signal was reduced 90%.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reviews.jpg (22.0 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Faydra; 3rd December 2020 at 10:07 AM.
Faydra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2020, 10:08 AM   #2767
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Faydra View Post
Apparently, people are buying $189 faraday cages on Amazon to protect them from those dangerous 5g waves - and are posting bad reviews about them because their wifi signal was reduced 90%.
Source? I need to pass to friends for ritual mocking.
Old 3rd December 2020, 10:10 AM   #2768
Faydra
sinning sybarite

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Source? I need to pass to friends for ritual mocking.
Someone posted these screenshots from work, so my source is questionable, entirely believable though - there's always someone perfectly willing to cash in on stupidity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg faraday.jpg (31.4 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Faydra; 3rd December 2020 at 10:11 AM.
Faydra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2020, 10:14 AM   #2769
Wudang
BOFH

Someone posted these screenshots from work, so my source is questionable, entirely believable though - there's always someone perfectly willing to cash in on stupidity.
I checked Amazon and found a few. Thanks. Still giggling. Remember the kids in general science in every school complaining they’d never need to know about this stuff in real life? https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Rout...%2C249&sr=8-14
Old 3rd December 2020, 11:47 AM   #2770
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I love how it's 65 dollars for 10 dollar, at most, wire basket.
Old 3rd December 2020, 03:54 PM   #2771
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Only 90%? Are Faraday cages not as great as I thought they were, or are these just not very good ones?
Old 3rd December 2020, 04:38 PM   #2772
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Only 90%? Are Faraday cages not as great as I thought they were, or are these just not very good ones?
For $189 I'd say that it's probably the latter.
Old 3rd December 2020, 05:10 PM   #2773
rdaneel
Illuminator

I'm reminded of a friend of my brothers who stayed with us for a time. I went to give him our WiFi Password and mentioned that I had both 5G and 2.4G running in case he had any older devices. He tells me he wants the 2.4G password because he was worried about 5G "radiation". I didn't feel like bothering to argue or pointing out that the 5G still permeates the entire house whether he connects to it or not. He'd need a faraday cage suit.

Nice guy, but totally into woo stuff. Anyone else encounter the magnets on the electrical box thing?
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2020, 05:15 PM   #2774
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

You're with me on this, right? When someone types their ID and password to log on to Windows and they get an "incorrect password" message, it's 100% of the time due to user error, yeah? Or something like NumLock being off (or on). Something that's under their control. There isn't a technical issue that can produce this error, is there?
Old 3rd December 2020, 05:51 PM   #2775
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
They are simply one of those mesh boxes for paperwork you get at Office World.
Old 3rd December 2020, 05:52 PM   #2776
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

You're with me on this, right? When someone types their ID and password to log on to Windows and they get an "incorrect password" message, it's 100% of the time due to user error, yeah? Or something like NumLock being off (or on). Something that's under their control. There isn't a technical issue that can produce this error, is there?
An account being locked can do that.
Old 3rd December 2020, 05:59 PM   #2777
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
An account being locked can do that.
Fortunately our T1s can clear account locks. This was a new starter, trying to log on for the first time. The T1 reset the password three times, took them through entering the password as carefully as they could, and all they could get was "incorrect password".

And in our environment at least, when your account is locked the message says "Your account is locked. Contact the Service Desk". So no, it wasn't that.
Old 3rd December 2020, 08:29 PM   #2778
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Leading space or embedded spaces in the password. For example, if their password is supposed to be "fozzybear" and they type " fozzy bear".
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2020, 08:30 PM   #2779
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Leading space or embedded spaces in the password. For example, if their password is supposed to be "fozzybear" and they type " fozzy bear".
Checked that.
Old 3rd December 2020, 08:33 PM   #2780
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I should mention that we regularly have issues where the T1 will give someone their password, saying "Tuesday with a capital T, four five nine eight". And the user has entered it as "T4598". I got to the point where I would say "The full word Tuesday, first letter capital, that's capital T lower case U E S D A Y..."

I like not having to do passwords any more.
Old 3rd December 2020, 08:35 PM   #2781
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

I'm led to believe some special characters in either username or password produce unexpected results. E.g. a leading minus sign.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2020, 08:43 PM   #2782
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I'm led to believe some special characters in either username or password produce unexpected results. E.g. a leading minus sign.
This particular password is the name of a day of the week with an initial capital, followed by four digits. They probably goofed and put a space between the word and the numbers. Something like that. My point is that there is no technical reason for that particular message to be generated. It has to be user error.

Our high-security environment, as I have mentioned upthread, generates initial passwords using the entire gamut of keyboard characters. We've had people mess up I, l, and | because in the font it presents the password in, those three characters are almost indistinguishable from each other.
Old 3rd December 2020, 08:45 PM   #2783
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

...spelled out the numbers?? "Tuesdayonetwothreefour"?
Old 3rd December 2020, 08:51 PM   #2784
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 3rd December 2020, 08:56 PM   #2785
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

There is absolutely no password that somebody, somewhere won't **** up.

Me: "Okay, I've reset your password to your first name. You have to log in now and change it to something else."
Jessica: "It's not working."
Me: "It's your first name. 'Jessica'. With a capital J."
Jessica: "Oh, I typed 'Boopsie', that's what my husband calls me." *giggles*
Old 3rd December 2020, 09:04 PM   #2786
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Eyyyup.
Old 3rd December 2020, 09:23 PM   #2787
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

3-error limit password.

First time --- type it in.
<error>
Second time -- Oh, I must have typed too fast, type it in again very carefully.
<error>
Third time -- WTF? It must be my previous one.
<error><locked out>
Oh, ffs!
(call support)
Old 3rd December 2020, 09:25 PM   #2788
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Ours gives five tries.
Old Yesterday, 12:54 AM   #2789
Wudang
BOFH

I would have gone for special characters as well. I had that on one windows server where the keyboard was set to en_us so special chars were bolloxed. But without special chars no. PEBKAC
Computer User Not Technical.
Old Yesterday, 02:52 AM   #2790
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Ours gives five tries.
AI video referee?
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM   #2791
CORed
Philosopher

I know of one case where it was a hardware fault because it was me. This was on personal hardware. I was getting more than usual Windows login errors, and eventually figured out that a faulty keyboard was sending a tab and a backslash when the tab key was pressed. But I will say that, no matter how vehemently a user swears that they are making no errors, at least 999 times out of 1000, it's user error.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM   #2792
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Our high-security environment, as I have mentioned upthread, generates initial passwords using the entire gamut of keyboard characters. We've had people mess up I, l, and | because in the font it presents the password in, those three characters are almost indistinguishable from each other.
I recently had a login where the capital I in my full name was replaced with a lowercase L. It was breathtakingly hard to type that in for the few months I had to use it. Muscle memory is a bitch.

As to your user: Are we sure they can spell the days of the week?

Wendsday in particular is quite tough.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM   #2793
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I think in general a default/generated computer code not using one of either/or 0/O, I/1/l etc should be a reasonable good practice.
Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM   #2794
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Two special cases to consider:

1. someone has moved a couple of keys on the user's keyboard (n and m are favourites for that trick)

2. windows 10 has a very annoying habit of inserting the local domain name in front of the user ID after the user has hit the go button.

(This one was preventing me from logging to a Canadian supplier's Sharepoint site. Their tech team checked the logs and told me they could see my local user name being prepended with my domain.)

Putting the user ID in like this stopped Win 10 from doing that:

\\\username

i.e username, password was resulting in \localdomain\username, password.

\\\username, password was resulting in username, password.

Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM   #2795
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I think in general a default/generated computer code not using one of either/or 0/O, I/1/l etc should be a reasonable good practice.
Agreed.

FirstMLast was their preferred username and they were small enough for that to work. The IT person who created my account confused a capital I with a lowercase L and it was too hard to fix since I wasn't going to be using the login for more than a few months.Hard enough to type your own name without spaces, but add in misspelling your own name and it got really tough. I would screw it up at least twice per login.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM   #2796
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Two special cases to consider:

1. someone has moved a couple of keys on the user's keyboard (n and m are favourites for that trick)

2. windows 10 has a very annoying habit of inserting the local domain name in front of the user ID after the user has hit the go button.

(This one was preventing me from logging to a Canadian supplier's Sharepoint site. Their tech team checked the logs and told me they could see my local user name being prepended with my domain.)

Putting the user ID in like this stopped Win 10 from doing that:

\\\username

i.e username, password was resulting in \localdomain\username, password.

\\\username, password was resulting in username, password.

Another problem is when youíre connected to a Remote Desktop thatís in a different language, and consequent different keyboard layout. Typing passwords can be somewhat challenging.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet