IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 3rd December 2020, 05:35 AM   #2281
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
Well yes why not? Put them up near the top of the list.

I don't know what the modelling has shown but it seems to stand to reason to me that if you vaccinate the spreaders then you reduce the prevalence of the virus much more significantly than vaccinating the vulnerable.

but I suppose the maths is based on numbers that at least I am only guessing at in terms of doses available, speed of rollout and the sizes of groups etc.

My thought was just if we spend the next 6 months vaccinating the vulnerable then by the middle of next year we are going to be no further on in terms of the impact on day to day life, the prevalence of the virus in society and progress towards 'normality'.
You have to balance what might be the best theoretical order of vaccination against what is actually practical to manage, especially with a vaccine like the Pfizer one which has very restrictive storage requirements. It sounds like the initial round of vaccinations will be for NHS staff, and possibly care home staff and patients able to go into a hospital.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2020, 05:47 AM   #2282
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Personally I’d rather see a regional approach, lock down the highest tiers and get those sorted.

Based on what Rolfe posted I’ve read quite a bit about managing non-human epidemics and a regional/geographical approach seems to be the current wisdom. You stop movement (as we already do in the highest tier areas) and get vaccinating.

I do understand however given the limited quantities available at the moment you couldn’t use that approach but as soon as we have millions of doses we need to move to such an approach.

And I am still 100% behind making it compulsory (subject to genuine exceptions due to medical reasons).
Old 3rd December 2020, 09:07 AM   #2283
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

The international vaccine supply chain has been targeted by cyber-espionage, according to IBM.

The company says it tracked a campaign aimed at the delivery "cold chain" used to keep vaccines at the right temperature during transportation.

The attackers' identity is unclear - but IBM said the sophistication of their methods indicated a nation state.

It follows warnings from governments - including the UK's - of countries targeting aspects of vaccine research.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55165552
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2020, 09:44 AM   #2284
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

An absolutely incendiary thread from one of the country's leading biostatisticians about the Liverpool testing programme

Jon Deeks tweeted
@deeksj
Mass testing in Liverpool MISSED ~50% of infections and ~30% with high viral loads. Results are in this Government document, but no actual numbers or details are given.
Absolutely URGENT that @DHSCgovuk reports full data today and HALTS IMPLEMENTATION

Missing 30% with high viral loads is NOT SAFE. PHE studies said missed <5% - so this is more than 6 times as many.
You cannot risk people with high viral loads visiting their elderly relatives.

A sensitivity of 50% means that somebody who has a negative result will have half the risk of having COVID.
PHE studies included a 58% result - but Matt Hancock denied this existed last week.
This is still a lot of risk.

PLEASE PLEASE @MattHancock @BorisJohnson @SMHopkins @didoharding @CMO_England STOP USING THESE TESTS FOR PURPOSES WHICH PUT PEOPLE AT RISK. YOUR OWN DATA SAYS IT IS HIGH RISK. MANUFACTURER SAYS DON’T DO IT, WHO SAYS DON’T DO IT, SCIENTISTS SAY DON’T DO. IT IS A MISTAKE.

(Document in link)

https://twitter.com/deeksj/status/1334426403425685504

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 3rd December 2020 at 09:46 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2020, 10:44 AM   #2285
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Rt Hon Grant Shapps MP has announced that From 4am on Sat 5th Dec high-value business travellers, performing arts professionals, TV production staff, journalists and recently signed elite sportspersons will no longer need to self-isolate when returning to England from a country not in a travel corridor, allowing more travel to support the economy and jobs.

So business people, elite sportspersons, performing artists & journalists are non-carriers of the pandemic? and it's nothing to do with money?

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 3rd December 2020 at 10:48 AM.
Old 3rd December 2020, 11:20 AM   #2286
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
In the village of Redbrook, one pub is in England, the other, across the River Wye on a footbridge, is in Wales. The residents of Redbrook haven't gone thirsty so far.
But the owner of the pub in Wales might be going broke!
Old 3rd December 2020, 01:16 PM   #2287
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Roseberry Topping, a local landmark hill on the edge of the North Yorkshire Moors has it's summit in 'Tees Valley' in tier 3 and the paths that approach it in North Yorkshire in tier 2.
Old 3rd December 2020, 02:36 PM   #2288
Mikemcc
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Rt Hon Grant Shapps MP has announced that From 4am on Sat 5th Dec high-value business travellers, performing arts professionals, TV production staff, journalists and recently signed elite sportspersons will no longer need to self-isolate when returning to England from a country not in a travel corridor, allowing more travel to support the economy and jobs.

So business people, elite sportspersons, performing artists & journalists are non-carriers of the pandemic? and it's nothing to do with money?
No, in just the same way that service engineers, truck drivers, train drivers and crew, air crew, diplomats, nuclear inspectors and uncle tom cobbley and all haven't been for the last 5 months.

I'm a Field Service Engineer in the pharma industry. Since the initial lockdown in the UK finished I have spent 3/4 of my time travelling to and from the EU, without a need to quarantine. But I am in an enhanced testing regime (tested weekly when I am in the UK), we changed to use apartments rather than hotels to allow for home cooking rather than going out to restaurants, wearing masks way more than everyone about us, and company provision of PPE. I DON'T live a normal live, but I live it in the new normal.

My biggest problems have been around arranging travel. BA, in particular , have been a pain in the arse, cancelling flights at the last moment and quite arbitrarily. Swiss Air were frightening because they flew absolutely rammed (the airflow regime on an aircraft counters aerosol issues, but not contact issues from virus on elbows from sneezing into them), EasyJet was a real surprise for me, spacing people out and the best disembarkation procedure.

There is no reason why these people can't follow the same rules and achieve the same levels of safety.
Mikemcc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2020, 03:57 PM   #2289
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mikemcc View Post
There is no reason why these people can't follow the same rules and achieve the same levels of safety.
Money.
Old 3rd December 2020, 05:02 PM   #2290
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Personally I’d rather see a regional approach, lock down the highest tiers and get those sorted.

Based on what Rolfe posted I’ve read quite a bit about managing non-human epidemics and a regional/geographical approach seems to be the current wisdom. You stop movement (as we already do in the highest tier areas) and get vaccinating.

I do understand however given the limited quantities available at the moment you couldn’t use that approach but as soon as we have millions of doses we need to move to such an approach.

And I am still 100% behind making it compulsory (subject to genuine exceptions due to medical reasons).

I agree with this, but the main objective needs to be to get everyone who ought to be vaccinated done in such a way that the last person is vaccinated before the protection has decayed in any of the first group vaccinated. If that's achieved then the order you do it in is less important.

Yes it would be better to restrict movement but that just isn't happening. Even when legislation is brought in it's immediately undermined by the police saying don't worry we're not actually going to stop anyone. You could still do it geographically starting in the worst spots and I'd do that personally. It's wasteful to go somewhere, do one group, then move the circus on without doing everyone so you only have to go back again - maybe three or four times.

But I can also see there is politics and some people in high-risk groups would be squealing about why aren't they getting the vaccine when people in low risk groups in other areas are getting it. And actually I don't think the people designing this are really thinking strategically. They're in a box where they respond within expected parameters.

But really, right here we can wait, there's very little virus and people are generally being sensible. Meanwhile 50 miles away in Glasgow nobody is paying a blind bit of attention to the regulations and they have coronavirus coming out of their ears. Go and do everyone in Glasgow and the surrounding areas and you can catch us at your leisure. Now just watch them send a vaccination squad here to do groups of people piecemeal for political reasons when it's not necessary.

Actually though they're just making it unnecessarily complicated. If they get to the end of the list before the first ones on the list have waning protection, it will work, no matter what actual order they do them in.
Old 3rd December 2020, 05:05 PM   #2291
Rolfe

Making the vaccine compulsory is a bit of a hot potato, although ideally I'd do it. But it might be more prudent simply to prohibit anyone who doesn't have a valid vaccination certificate from doing all sorts of things. Starting with coming back into the country without doing two weeks supervised hotel quarantine at their own expense. I'd stop them going into any indoor public space, personally.

I did hear that secure non-transferable proof of vaccination cards (with biometric chips like passports) were being looked at, so it seems as if someone was thinking along these lines.
Old 3rd December 2020, 05:35 PM   #2292
ceptimus
puzzler

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
I did hear that secure non-transferable proof of vaccination cards (with biometric chips like passports) were being looked at, so it seems as if someone was thinking along these lines.
I doubt our incompetent government could arrange anything like that - it would likely take them many years, even if they could agree on such a scheme and get it voted into law. And even if they did, would it be policed?

Last edited by ceptimus; 3rd December 2020 at 05:36 PM.
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2020, 05:50 PM   #2293
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Making the vaccine compulsory is a bit of a hot potato, although ideally I'd do it. But it might be more prudent simply to prohibit anyone who doesn't have a valid vaccination certificate from doing all sorts of things. Starting with coming back into the country without doing two weeks supervised hotel quarantine at their own expense. I'd stop them going into any indoor public space, personally.

I actually think that "you are not vaccinated so you can't do, x, z, d" would fall a cropper of our human rights legislation in a way compulsory vaccination wouldn't. Mind you no doubt they'll have that ECHR nonsense repealed as soon as possible.
Old Yesterday, 01:51 AM   #2294
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
https://twitter.com/rachaelvenables/...31239863541760

Document embedded in first tweet.
Looks like already, Pfizer can only provide half of this amount for now.

In any case the correct term is 'authorised' rather than 'approved'.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:55 AM   #2295
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

The very elderly in care homes who are being looked after by people who have lives in the community are hugely at risk, as the death toll in that group demonstrates.
Apparently, the regulators agree with you. Now Hancock and co have the headache of how to get it to the care homes. I know, let's not bother! Problem solved. It'll just have to be people nearby the fifty hospitals first.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:01 AM   #2296
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

When I were a lass vaccinations were simply carried out routinely by school nurses. Of course people should have the right to refuse but aside from people with religious beliefs such as Jehovah's Witnesses I can't see that there would be any real reason to object apart from being selfish and trendy.

Old Yesterday, 02:06 AM   #2297
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Boris Johnson and Matt Hancock have offered t have the vaccination live on air. I hear Obama has also offered to have his shot filmed.

Quote:
Health secretary Matt Hancock has said he is willing to get vaccinated for the coronavirus live on television to help convince people it is safe.

The cabinet minister has hailed the speedy approval of Covid-19 jab from Pfizer after the UK became the first country in the world to authorise it – paving the way for vaccination to begin next week.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b1764949.html

Very reassuring, I am sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Web_Photo_Editor.jpg (29.5 KB, 2 views)

Old Yesterday, 02:22 AM   #2298
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Boris Johnson and Matt Hancock have offered t have the vaccination live on air. I hear Obama has also offered to have his shot filmed.

Very reassuring, I am sure.
Oh FFS stop with the childish, Luddite, anti-vax crap.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:49 AM   #2299
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Allegra Stratton:

Quote:
Boris Johnson’s spokeswoman later suggested that the prime minister would also be prepared to get the jab on TV. “We all know the character of the PM – I don’t think it would be something he would rule out,” she said when asked if he would consider it.

But the No 10 spokeswoman added that Mr Johnson would not want to get the vaccine before other people in higher-risk categories.

No, no, of course not. Ever the altruist is our beloved PM.

Old Yesterday, 03:00 AM   #2300
Lplus
Critical Thinker

Allegra Stratton:

No, no, of course not. Ever the altruist is our beloved PM.
He already had the virus - so he can afford to wait; especially if he's been tested and still has antibodies.

Unless you think it was all fake?
Lplus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:24 AM   #2301
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lplus View Post
He already had the virus - so he can afford to wait; especially if he's been tested and still has antibodies.

Unless you think it was all fake?
So did Hancock, remember?

There are a lot of rumours about Johnson, which I am sure I don't need to repeat here. With Johnson, it is hard to trust anything much about him. I can give him the benefit of a doubt as he seemed out of breath, dishevelled and suffering from brain fog for weeks later. He still appears to struggle to string a sentence together. Good job he has Carrie to help him run the country now that Dom has gone.

Old Yesterday, 05:42 AM   #2302
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

So did Hancock, remember?

There are a lot of rumours about Johnson, which I am sure I don't need to repeat here. With Johnson, it is hard to trust anything much about him.
Shortness of breath or not, what possible reason would you have for believing he was faking it?
Old Yesterday, 07:20 AM   #2303
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/grantshapps/stat...43848333332482

Quote:
New Business Traveller exemption: From 4am on Sat 5th Dec high-value business travellersBriefcasewill no longer need to self-isolate when returning to ENGLAND from a country NOT in a travel corridor, allowing more travel to support the economy and jobs. Conditions apply.
Old Yesterday, 07:51 AM   #2304
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Shortness of breath or not, what possible reason would you have for believing he was faking it?
Johnson is a rake and a scoundrel.

He has zero credibility with me.

He is a rule breaker, a law breaker and has no qualms in using PR stunts for - shall we say - less than frank purposes.

So was he treated for Covid19 or something else? <shrug> I don't know.

Old Yesterday, 08:45 AM   #2305
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Johnson is a rake and a scoundrel.

He has zero credibility with me.

He is a rule breaker, a law breaker and has no qualms in using PR stunts for - shall we say - less than frank purposes.

So was he treated for Covid19 or something else? <shrug> I don't know.
Strange.
Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM   #2306
Carrot Flower King
Critical Thinker

Seriously?

If Johnson did not have Covid you think that a gossip factory like yer average NHS hospital could keep that one secret. Let alone that the whole ICU at Tommy's would keep secret that class of misuse of ICU resources?

Let me introduce you to hospitals...
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM   #2307
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

California goes into a hard lockdown today . It's based on a regional basis (I live in the Greater Sacramento region which includes, outside the Sacto Metro area, a good hunk of the Central Valley) where if the ICU unites in hospitals reach a high level of occupancy severe restrictions go into effect.
Sacramento County has had a pretty stringent lockdown in effect already so it will have little impact there, but some of the rural counties in the region will go into deep lockdown for the first time.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; Yesterday at 02:25 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM   #2308
Rolfe

The thread for US coronavirus politics is thataway --->
Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM   #2309
Rolfe

The consensus of hospital insiders who understood what was going on is that not only did BoJo have covid, the severity of his illness was being played down.
Old Yesterday, 05:12 PM   #2310
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post

I'm wondering now where Lewis Hamilton is!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics