IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th January 2012, 01:13 AM   #1
learner
Graduate Poster

Blue Balls!

No, I haven't been out in the cold too long.
I just heard a report on Radio5 live concerning Blue organic balls dropping from the skies over Bournemouth on the south coast of England.
Anyone know more of this?
My first, and last thought, was, Alien poop. I am sticking with this theory until solid evidence points elsewhere.
Old 29th January 2012, 01:25 AM   #2
Andrew Wiggin
Master Poster

Originally Posted by learner View Post
No, I haven't been out in the cold too long.
I just heard a report on Radio5 live concerning Blue organic balls dropping from the skies over Bournemouth on the south coast of England.
Anyone know more of this?
My first, and last thought, was, Alien poop. I am sticking with this theory until solid evidence points elsewhere.
You're almost right. It's poop, just not alien poop. I've heard similar cases of this being tied to the disinfectant used to sanitize aircraft sewage tanks. It's almost always colored blue. Normally the tanks are sealed when the aircraft is in flight, but sometimes they leak and if they do the leaking sewage freezes from the cold temperatures and hits the ground as solid blue chunks, globs, spheres, etc.

"New and stirring things are belittled because if they are not belittled,
the humiliating question arises, 'Why then are you not taking part in
them?' " - H. G. Wells
Andrew Wiggin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2012, 01:41 AM   #3
Michael C
Graduate Poster

Video here:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

The guy says it doesn't dissolve in water. Wouldn't airline sewage be water-soluble?
Michael C is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2012, 02:02 AM   #4
learner
Graduate Poster

Thanks A.W and M.C.
It's interesting that it is not water soluable. Not sure why that would be but I suggest a default assumption of Alen origin. It certainly explains the more than average incidence of old women in Bournemouth with blue rinse permed hair. I knew it couldn't have been deliberate
Old 29th January 2012, 05:01 AM   #5
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Saying, "aliens dunnit" just because you don't know of an earthly explanation is no different to saying, "God dunnit".
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2012, 05:16 AM   #6
ibbicay

I suspect water beads, used for decoration and for ammo in 'xploderz' toys.

ETA: another poster elsewhere suggested that the guy may have put dry silica gel beads down on the lawn himself, misunderstanding how they were to be used (or discarded). Rain + hailstorm + "hey, what's that?" = assumption that the larger balls fell from the sky, when in fact they simply grew in place (and cracked when oversaturated). Or some kids were shooting them at his house...

Last edited by ibbicay; 29th January 2012 at 05:33 AM.
ibbicay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2012, 06:44 AM   #7
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Warning to all who live under fly ways:

Even in the post SALT world, you can still get killed by falling Icey BMs.
Old 29th January 2012, 09:13 AM   #8
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Watched video.
Not blue.
Not balls.

I want a refund.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2012, 09:28 AM   #9
This is The End

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Saying, "aliens dunnit" just because you don't know of an earthly explanation is no different to saying, "God dunnit".
Are you sure?

One of those things probably exists and the other one, not so much.
Old 29th January 2012, 10:43 AM   #10
learner
Graduate Poster

Blimey! Does your post mean I can claim to have subtle humour? Cool!
Old 29th January 2012, 01:25 PM   #11
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Mythbusters did a show on this. Said it was from aircraft.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2012, 02:00 PM   #12
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggin View Post
You're almost right. It's poop, just not alien poop. I've heard similar cases of this being tied to the disinfectant used to sanitize aircraft sewage tanks. It's almost always colored blue. Normally the tanks are sealed when the aircraft is in flight, but sometimes they leak and if they do the leaking sewage freezes from the cold temperatures and hits the ground as solid blue chunks, globs, spheres, etc.
Got it in one!!! Well done Andrew Wiggen!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2012, 02:01 PM   #13
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Warning to all who live under fly ways:

Even in the post SALT world, you can still get killed by falling Icey BMs.
Comedy win for the thread!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2012, 09:32 AM   #14
Almo
Masterblazer

Blimey! Does your post mean I can claim to have subtle humour? Cool!
I think it says more about psion than you.
"It may be that there is no body really at rest, to which the places and motions of others may be referred." –Issac Newton in the Principia
Almo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2012, 02:51 PM   #15
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

It's very different. "Aliens" has two more syllables than "God" so the former takes about 67% longer to say.

Respectfully,
Myriad

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology