ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM   #2801
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I'm saying the Republican Senate doesn't trust Trump and they have warned him that firing Sessions would not be acceptable.

Somehow I just don't see Trump being intimidated by something like that. If anything he would take it as a challenge.

Quote:
But I think their reaction was to subtle threats that he would fire Sessions so someone else could fire Rosenstein and end the Mueller investigation.

Subtle? Does Trump do subtle?
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:15 PM   #2802
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
It's a potential weigh station on the road. If the inhumane treatment can be normalized, then further dehumanizing can occur.
My concern is that focusing on genocide at the end of the road we miss that the way-station is bad enough, and leaves open the argument that actions aren't fascistic if there's no genocidal intent.

Quote:
I'd also say "scapegoated populations" is more accurate in practice, blanket vilification of a demographic is almost assuredly based on a complete farce.
I say "problematic populations" because they do represent a problem in the eyes of the authorities, if not in reality.

The rural Boer population was a problem to the British because they were the sea in which the Boer guerillas swam, and were too scattered to be supervised and controlled in situ : hence the "concentration". They weren't scapegoats, they were victims of a callous policy.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM   #2803
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

"My Administration is acting swiftly to address the illegal immigration crisis on the Southern Border. Loopholes in our immigration laws all supported by extremist open border Democrats...and that's what they are - they're extremist open border Democrats...."

"Democrats want open Borders, where anyone can come into our Country, and stay. This is Nancy Pelosi’s dream. It won’t happen!"
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM   #2804
acbytesla
Suspended

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Somehow I just don't see Trump being intimidated by something like that. If anything he would take it as a challenge.
Ordinarily I would agree. But the US Senate could stop the appointment of Session's replacement in its tracks an Rosenstein would still be DAG and the Mueller investigation would continue on. So what would be the point?
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM   #2805
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
You're talking about a paranoid and delusional man who literally believes that he can shoot people and his cult will still support him. Yes, I hope it's impossible for him to carry out his fascist agenda in this country, and the reaction to his family separation policy is a welcome sign, but you are the foolish one to think that Trump won't push it as far as he can.
The scary thing if Trump did propose a "final solution for the illegal immigrant problem" his cult would support him.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM   #2806
acbytesla
Suspended

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The scary thing if Trump did propose a "final solution for the illegal immigrant problem" his cult would support him.
You *********** KNOW they would. They wouldn't even break up the families to do it.

So far, what I've seen from Trump supporters is ZERO empathy for anyone.

Melanie's jacket summed up their opinions about the downtrodden.

I Really Don't Care!
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM   #2807
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
The British managed to kill more than four times as many women and children in their concentration camps (nearly one out of four of the imprisoned) as they they did Boer soldiers in combat. Most of those were children under sixteen, almost half the population of Boer children.

The Boer POWs which the British captured were sent out of the country. Their survival rate was far higher. Hell of a thing when they protect the lives of the enemy soldiers but condemn their women and children to slow, painful deaths by starvation and disease.
Not so surprising, though. Soldiers don't usually have a problem with other soldiers, military manuals cover their treatment, and there are processes for drawing supplies for them from the commissariat. Miltary manuals also cover the treatment of civilian populations in situ. What they generally don't cover is the administration and supply of camps full of civilians, which are not a normal feature of war.

Of course, in practice this applies to "civilised" warfare between uniformed armies. Captured Boer regulars were shipped abroad : captured Boer guerillas were subject to different rules of war, which were summary and usually terminal.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM   #2808
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
They really should get rid of the filibuster rule.
Is that the same thing I once understood as "cloture? Is there room for the "going nuclear" option (which is an unfortunately phrase, when literally "going nuclear" is bandied about).

If it's the same thing, I've read of some maneuver that allows the majority party to sidestep it case-by-case. It involved taking a couple of different kind of votes.

I really did once understand it. For my job. It came up during one of the times Congress tried to fix immigration.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM   #2809
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Captured Boer regulars were shipped abroad : captured Boer guerillas were subject to different rules of war, which were summary and usually terminal.
Which was it in "Breaker Morant"?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM   #2810
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Which was it in "Breaker Morant"?
Rule .303.
Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM   #2811
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

trump tweets

"“I REALLY DON’T CARE, DO U?” written on the back of Melania’s jacket, refers to the Fake News Media. Melania has learned how dishonest they are, and she truly no longer cares!"

Didn't the White House say there was no hidden meaning?

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; Yesterday at 03:02 PM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM   #2812
acbytesla
Suspended

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
trump tweets

"“I REALLY DON’T CARE, DO U?” written on the back of Melania’s jacket, refers to the Fake News Media. Melania has learned how dishonest they are, and she truly no longer cares!"

Lugenpresse!
Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM   #2813
acbytesla
Suspended

Is that the same thing I once understood as "cloture? Is there room for the "going nuclear" option (which is an unfortunately phrase, when literally "going nuclear" is bandied about).

If it's the same thing, I've read of some maneuver that allows the majority party to sidestep it case-by-case. It involved taking a couple of different kind of votes.

I really did once understand it. For my job. It came up during one of the times Congress tried to fix immigration.
No, but I understand as the term is often used in conjunction.

'Cloture' is a procedure for ending a debate and taking a vote.
Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM   #2814
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

My concern is that focusing on genocide at the end of the road we miss that the way-station is bad enough, and leaves open the argument that actions aren't fascistic if there's no genocidal intent.

I say "problematic populations" because they do represent a problem in the eyes of the authorities, if not in reality.

The rural Boer population was a problem to the British because they were the sea in which the Boer guerillas swam, and were too scattered to be supervised and controlled in situ : hence the "concentration". They weren't scapegoats, they were victims of a callous policy.

You're right.

They weren't scapegoats.

They were hostages.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM   #2815
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Ordinarily I would agree. But the US Senate could stop the appointment of Session's replacement in its tracks an Rosenstein would still be DAG and the Mueller investigation would continue on. So what would be the point?

Sure they could.

That's not the right way to look at it though.

The question is, would Trump actually believe they would do that?

This is a man so convinced he has the upper hand, so secure in his self-admiration that he has publicly claimed more than once that he could shoot someone down on Fifth Ave. in broad daylight and not lose his supporters.

And the scary thing is that he may be right about that.

The GOP in both houses of Congress has demonstrated repeatedly that regardless of what pronouncements of disapproval they may dribble out for public consumption, when the chips are down they fall in line for Trump.

So the obvious follow-up question is, does Trump have any real reason to worry that the Senate GOP would stall a nomination from him just to preserve the integrity of the Mueller investigation (not to mention their own integrity)?

And all the evidence, all the signs tend to point to "No." being the answer.

Why should Trump worry about them?
Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM   #2816
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

trump tweets

OK, now I believe it. It had such trashy lettering, hardly fashionable, not to mention tone-deaf.
Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM   #2817
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Not so surprising, though. Soldiers don't usually have a problem with other soldiers, military manuals cover their treatment, and there are processes for drawing supplies for them from the commissariat. Miltary manuals also cover the treatment of civilian populations in situ. What they generally don't cover is the administration and supply of camps full of civilians, which are not a normal feature of war.

Yeah. It had only been done by the Spanish in Cuba and the U.S. in the Philippines in the previous five or ten years.

Kitchener knew exactly what he was doing, why he was doing it, and what the outcome would be. It was no surprise.

Quote:

Of course, in practice this applies to "civilised" warfare between uniformed armies. Captured Boer regulars were shipped abroad : captured Boer guerillas were subject to different rules of war, which were summary and usually terminal.

It wasn't captured Boer guerrillas who died of exposure, disease, and starvation in the British concentration camps. Like you said, the captured soldiers were shipped out. Any adult Boer male who wasn't in uniform and couldn't prove beyond any doubt that he wasn't a guerrilla was summarily executed.

It was non-combatants, mostly women and children, who died in the camps.
Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM   #2818
AnonyMoose
Student

trump tweets

So apparently Trump and his wife are a match made in heaven for each other afterall.... two peas in a pod.

FLOTUS decided to troll the media while she's on a so-called humanitarian visit that was supposed to be all about the children.

Instead, she made it all about herself (and her husband) by her adolescent fashion choice.

She managed to turn a good thing.... into a Trump thing.

Just when I thought this president, his administration, and his family members couldn't possibly lower the bar any further...

Low hanging fruit doesn't even begin to describe these people.

In next week's news:

POTUS and FLOTUS wear matching t-shirts to the annual African-American Lifetime Awards Ceremony:

"Boss Massa"
"Boss Massa Ho"
AnonyMoose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM   #2819
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Best idea I've heard yet: from now on, those detention camps are now Trumpcamps. Let this be his legacy.
Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM   #2820
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Isn't there a loophole on the requirement for a Senate confirmation of Trump appointing a replacement for Sessions? Along the lines that if the replacement has been previously confirmed to an appointment at a similar level, a new confirmation isn't necessary? I think that just happened for Secretary of State.

Attorney General Scott Pruitt. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

After a Google: No, Pompeo was confirmed. Anybody know about the loophole?
Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM   #2821
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

trump tweets

I'd really like to think Melanie might have done that on purpose to troll her cheating spouse.
Old Yesterday, 05:12 PM   #2822
AnonyMoose
Student

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I'd really like to think Melanie might have done that on purpose to troll her cheating spouse.
It doesn't matter whether she was trolling her husband, trolling the media, or trolling the kids.

She trolled.

This screams loud and clear to the world what kind of emotional maturity level is operating in the White House... and worse, what kind of people are in control of the 'big red button'.
AnonyMoose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM   #2823
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Isn't there a loophole on the requirement for a Senate confirmation of Trump appointing a replacement for Sessions? Along the lines that if the replacement has been previously confirmed to an appointment at a similar level, a new confirmation isn't necessary? I think that just happened for Secretary of State.

Attorney General Scott Pruitt. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

After a Google: No, Pompeo was confirmed. Anybody know about the loophole?
As I understand it, he has two options to avoid the Senate:

1) Recess appointment. But McConnell has cancelled the August recess and there are lots of options to prevent Trump from doing it, as they did last Summer.

2) Federal Vacancies Reform Act by replacing him with another person already confirmed by the Senate. But "firing" is not listed in the act, so it might require getting Sessions to resign.
Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM   #2824
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

That isn't any better. It still suggests she incredibly ignorant to not realize how tone-deaf that was.
Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM   #2825
Minoosh
Philosopher

She doesn't like him and I think she is afraid of him but she's limited in how she can express that.

I feel like there's something subversive about her but of course I have no proof.
Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM   #2826
Stacko
Philosopher

She doesn't like him and I think she is afraid of him but she's limited in how she can express that.

I feel like there's something subversive about her but of course I have no proof.
This reminds me of what everyone did with Ivanka before they realized she was in on it.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM   #2827
Mumbles
Philosopher

I see no reason to give any of these jackals the benefit of the doubt. At best, this is just some jacket she's worn before when it didn't matter, and she's utterly tone-deaf - she's made it obvious that she's simply not FLOTUS material, and "Trump" has never been a synonym for "good taste" or "high class". More likely, it's another example of them showing us (and Dolt 45's more genocidal supporters) who they are, for the thousandth time.

Last edited by Mumbles; Yesterday at 06:33 PM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM   #2828
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
This reminds me of what everyone did with Ivanka before they realized she was in on it.
I don't think Trump has the same kind of leverage over Ivanka as he does over Melania, though.

ETA: I don't know that I give her "benefit of the doubt" - she is such a closed book that I don't have a super-strong opinion.

Last edited by Minoosh; Yesterday at 06:42 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM   #2829
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

https://us.cnn.com/2018/06/21/politi...apo/index.html

LOL
Trumpkins got played
"We found no evidence that the conclusions by Department prosecutors were affected by bias or other improper considerations; rather, we determined that they were based on the prosecutors' assessment of the facts, the law, and past Department practice”
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM   #2830
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
How? It looks more like the gullible public got played by Trump and AMI. (For those of us recovering from a frontal lobotomy, let's remember that this is a guy who calls anything he disagrees with "Fake News", yet is obviously neck deep in actual fake news creation.)

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM   #2831
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
"We'll make it another time when things are going extremely well."

We won't hold our breath.

Interesting that he used as part of his reasoning...

"It doesn't feel right to have a picnic for Congress when we're working on doing something very important."

Seriously, when is the US Government not 'working on something important'? If you use that kind of reasoning, the picnic would never have happened in the first place. That's a perfectly reasonable argument, but not the one he's making.
...says the Golfer in Chief.
Old Yesterday, 09:13 PM   #2832
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Octavo View Post
That's right, and old school Boers still hold a grudge against the rooineks for it.
The first camps to which the word was applied were set up in Cuba in 1895-98 to repress the rebellion against Spanish rule.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics