IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING!

Old 29th September 2022, 04:05 PM   #1801
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
So, I notice Emre is .
No, you're wrong again.

The Quran says that the earth is egg-shaped.

On an egg-shaped planet, you have to find the shortest direction to Mecca. That's why in the early years of Islam Muslims advanced rapidly in science and technology. In the later years, when they turned away from the Quran and turned to hadith, sectarian and Sufi teachings, they rapidly fell behind.

By the way, facing the earth's crust and facing the qibla is not an option because there is planet in front of you. You are not facing the qibla.

You always have to find the shortest clear direction considering the egg shape of the earth.
Emre_1974tr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2022, 04:41 PM   #1802
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Emre_1974tr View Post
No, you're wrong again.

On an egg-shaped planet, you have to find the shortest direction to Mecca. That's why in the early years of Islam Muslims advanced rapidly in science and technology. In the later years, when they turned away from the Quran and turned to hadith, sectarian and Sufi teachings, they rapidly fell behind.

By the way, facing the earth's crust and facing the qibla is not an option because there is planet in front of you. You are not facing the qibla.

You always have to find the shortest clear direction considering the egg shape of the earth.
This is nonsense. Seek help, my friend. Professional help.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2022, 06:18 PM   #1803
junkshop
Graduate Poster

No, you're wrong again.

The Quran says that the earth is egg-shaped...
What kind of egg? Different creatures produce differently shaped eggs.

Some examples:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...g?v=1621458301

https://images.twinkl.co.uk/tw1n/ima...1920_ver_1.jpg

https://static.scientificamerican.co...A7F1A47D1FB2FB

https://static.toiimg.com/thumb/msid...d-40/photo.jpg

https://wildaboutants.com/wp-content...4/ant-eggs.jpg

Last edited by junkshop; 29th September 2022 at 06:40 PM.
junkshop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2022, 06:32 PM   #1804
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by junkshop View Post
What kind of egg? Different creatures produce differently shaped eggs.
Like an ostrich egg.
Emre_1974tr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2022, 06:51 PM   #1805
junkshop
Graduate Poster

Like an ostrich egg.
Citation, please.

ETA: I'm pretty sure I know which verse you'll provide, and if I'm right I'll have some follow-up questions, but you might surprise me....

Last edited by junkshop; 29th September 2022 at 06:58 PM.
junkshop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2022, 09:15 AM   #1806
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

Citation, please.

ETA: I'm pretty sure I know which verse you'll provide, and if I'm right I'll have some follow-up questions, but you might surprise me....
Read the verses:

https://alquran-science.tumblr.com/p...e-sphere-geoid
Old 30th September 2022, 11:41 AM   #1807
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Like an ostrich egg.
The earth is certainly not egg-shaped.

One more thing the Quran gets wrong.

It is not a holy book.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2022, 11:58 AM   #1808
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Like an ostrich egg.
Hey genius!

Here is just one of the millions and millions of Earth photos, and one can easily see that the Earth is clearly NOT shaped like an Ostrich Egg.

As such, your holy book is wrong again, just like you are wrong again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Earth.jpg (84.9 KB, 3 views)

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2022, 02:33 PM   #1809
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

These words "prove" nothing. They just say things. Anybody can say things, even if what they say is nonsense.

If you say that this is proof then I can say that the Earth is a cube. Therefore that "proves" it is a cube. And thus the Quran is wrong.

Furthermore, the "proof" shown in that reference is simply playing with words, giving them meanings they possibly don't have and were never meant to have. It is semantic nonsense.

Emre, please go get some help. Turkey has many fine doctors. Find one of them near you.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 30th September 2022 at 02:34 PM.
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2022, 02:55 PM   #1810
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

And;

https://www.burkemuseum.org/static/e...e%20egg%20yolk.
Old 30th September 2022, 03:17 PM   #1811
junkshop
Graduate Poster

Hold up there, fella.

I thought that your whole thing was that the Qu'ran was it - no interpretation, no explanation, no hadiths.

I assumed that when I asked you for a citation, you would provide me with the verses from the Qu'ran that backed your claim.

Instead you give me a link to a site that is nothing but interpretation, alternative translations, and frankly contradictory claims. It can't even agree with itself whether the Qu'ran says the Earth is egg or ball shaped.

I am disappointed.
Old 30th September 2022, 03:28 PM   #1812
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

Hold up there, fella.

I thought that .
The terms "spinning ball" and "egg" are both mentioned in the verses. By the way, don't think of soccer/football balls.
Old 30th September 2022, 03:34 PM   #1813
Thor 2
Philosopher

Yes well, this first extract tells it all:

"The Quran can continue to be interpreted in the light of new knowledge till the last day [as long as it’s meanings are within the meanings of the Quranic Arabic]."

Typical theist strategy, you shape your interpretation of Scripture to match knowledge obtained by other means.
Old 30th September 2022, 04:19 PM   #1814
junkshop
Graduate Poster

The terms "spinning ball" and "egg" are both mentioned in the verses. By the way, don't think of soccer/football balls.
I note your failure to address the meat of my argument.

Anyway, let''s look at the headline from the link you provided (lest we forget, as evidence that the Qu'ran describes the shape of the Earth as "like an ostrich egg"):

Originally Posted by https://alquran-science.tumblr.com
Quran claims the Earth to be Sphere (GEOID shape)

Oh dear.
Old 30th September 2022, 08:01 PM   #1815
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

And so the holy Koran once again corrected the false Bible.
Old 30th September 2022, 09:48 PM   #1816
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
I note your failure to address the meat of my argument.

Anyway, let''s look at the headline from the link you provided (lest we forget, as evidence that the Qu'ran describes the shape of the Earth as "like an ostrich egg"):

Oh dear.
And so the holy Koran once again corrected the false Bible. Emre
FTFY

Cosmic Yak on this forum.
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2022, 10:07 PM   #1817
DetectedMotion
Thinker

Not so fast Emre; I posted this in the Destiny/Free will section.. It seems applicable here as well:

In the Quran SURAH AL-IMRAN AYAT 3 (3:3)" He has sent down upon you, [O Muhammad], the Book in truth, confirming what was before it. And He revealed the Torah and the Gospel.
Before, as guidance for the people. And he revealed the Quran. Indeed, those who disbelieve in the verses of Allah will have a severe punishment and Allah is Exalted in Might, the owner of Retribution".

So the Quran tells here that Allah first reveals the Torah and the Bible as a guidance and then after that the Quran.
The Quran goes further to say that those who disbelief the verses of Allah, which includes the Torah and the Bible, are to be punished by Allah.
Now this is where you, Emre, argue the Bible has been corrupted over time, but this argument has no ground to stand on because reading in:
Sarat Al-Kahf(18) Verse 27: Recite what has been revealed to you from the book of your Lord. None can change his words, nor can you find any refuge besides Him.
This is the word of Allah and NONE can change the word of Allah according to this verse; This includes the Torah and the Gospel.
So if None can change the words of Allah, this means the Bible and the Torah can not be corrupted.

Last edited by DetectedMotion; 30th September 2022 at 10:09 PM.
DetectedMotion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2022, 12:47 AM   #1818
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

This hasn't even been mentioned. What has been proven is the Koran has failed to match with reality.

If it makes you feel better, the Bible does not match reality either. It is as much a work of fiction, fairy story, as the Koran.

Emre, please have someone assist you. You are losing touch with reality yourself.
Old 1st October 2022, 06:24 AM   #1819
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Oh terrific!

So now we are back to absurdity of using one fairy book to denigrate a different fairy book.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2022, 07:11 AM   #1820
Mojo
Mostly harmless

No, you're wrong again.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2022, 10:50 AM   #1821
Scorpion
Illuminator

I am absolutely certain the Quran does not refer to the earth as a spinning ball.
Please quote a verse that says this, otherwise you are lying.

As for the Quran saying the earth is egg shaped, as far as I know only Rashad Khalifa has interpreted the verse Quran 79.30 to claim it say this. Don't tell me you are a submitter (follower of Rashad Khalifa)
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2022, 04:21 PM   #1822
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

Taner Eon Lopez, a convert from Christianity to Islam, gives an insight into the false Gospels, which are really books of hadith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TQ03KqxD2I
Old 1st October 2022, 05:13 PM   #1823
MarkCorrigan
¡No pasarán!

But god isn't real, so arguing about which "holy" book is real is pointless. None of them are. They're all gibberish.

The Qu'ran especially is poorly written self-insert fanfiction of the Bible. It is the Fifty Shades of Gray to the Bible's Twilight.

When I give food to the poor, they call me a Saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist. - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2022, 05:35 PM   #1824
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
B

The Qu'ran especially ist.
On the contrary. The Koran is the word of God, a holy book.

The Bible is a pagan hadith book written by man.

The holy Quran corrects the errors of the false Bible by slamming it in its face.
Old 1st October 2022, 05:39 PM   #1825
MarkCorrigan
¡No pasarán!

God isn't real though, so it can't be the word of god.

Please provide evidence for god.

When I give food to the poor, they call me a Saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist. - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2022, 06:16 PM   #1826
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

On the contrary. The Koran is the word of God Mohammed who was a man, a holy book.

The Bible is a pagan hadith book written by man God.
You seem to think both books are something more than what they are: early versions of science fiction. Emphasis on the word FICTION.

Quote:
The holy Quran corrects the errors of the false Bible by slamming it in its face.
Why are you getting so bad tempered about this? Are facts a problem for you?
Old 1st October 2022, 07:52 PM   #1827
DetectedMotion
Thinker

On the contrary. The Koran is the word of God, a holy book.

The Bible is a pagan hadith book written by man.

In the Quran, Allah performs Sallah. So who is he praying to? Himself? Why would Allah need to pray to himself?

In the Bible, Jesus does pray; Not to himself but to His father God.
DetectedMotion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2022, 08:04 PM   #1828
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

God isn't

Please provide evidence for god.

The false and pagan portrayal of God in the false Bible leads you to such thoughts.

The Holy Qur'an, on the other hand, is the true picture of God. If you had only read the Koran, you would probably believe in God.

You can read 12 proofs of God's existence in this free e-book:

https://www.canertaslaman.com/wp-con...r-Taslaman.pdf
Old 1st October 2022, 09:01 PM   #1829
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

The false and pagan portrayal of God in the false Bible Koran leads you to such thoughts.
See? Just as easy to say that.

Quote:
The Holy Qur'an, on the other hand, is the true picture of God. If you had only read the Koran, you would probably believe in God.
Have you read Lord Of The Rings? It's a great read! If you had read it, you would believe in Sauron too!

Quote:

I have read this. The Kalam argument has been discussed and debunked many times over. So you fall at the first hurdle.

https://thegodlesstheist.com/2021/03...ical-argument/

https://cosmicskeptic.com/2020/04/04...ical-argument/
Old 2nd October 2022, 04:17 AM   #1830
Scorpion
Illuminator

I see you have ignored my last post, in which I ask you to post the verses in the Quran that say the earth is a spinning ball. I am not surprised you ignore this as I know there are no such verses.

As for the Quran being the words of God which correct the false bible. It is obvious the Quran is largely plagiarism from the bible and both are wrong.
The bible say the heaven and earth were created in six days, and so does the Quran, and they are both wrong.

Then there is the age of Noah being 950 years both in the bible and Quran.
It is believed that this enormous age was a mistake in the translation of the early bible because the scribe that translated it did not understand the ancient numbering system. But the Quran exactly repeats this false number.
I think we have discussed this before, and your answer may have been that Noah did live to be 950.

UTTER BUNK, GET A BRAIN THAT WORKS, WHY DONT YOU.
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2022, 04:20 AM   #1831
Scorpion
Illuminator

The false and pagan portrayal of God in the false Bible leads you to such thoughts.

If the Quran is a true account of God we are all in terrible trouble, because the Quran it describes is a sadistic, semi literate monster.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 2nd October 2022, 07:23 AM   #1832
MarkCorrigan
¡No pasarán!

I have read the Quran. God isn't real. Provide evidence for god please, I asked nicely.

Old 2nd October 2022, 07:24 AM   #1833
MarkCorrigan
¡No pasarán!

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
If the Quran is a true account of God we are all in terrible trouble, because the Quran it describes is a sadistic, semi literate monster.
So is the god of the Bible.

Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM   #1834
DetectedMotion
Thinker

So is that the Uthmani Quran (Qurashi Manuscripts) you're refering to?

Last edited by DetectedMotion; Yesterday at 09:56 AM.
Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM   #1835
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

So is the god of the Bible.
So is Sauron for that matter.
Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM   #1836
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
So is Sauron for that matter.
All Hail The Eye!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy