IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: The raid was...
Absolutely a good thing - no question 128 77.58%
An outrage, a travesty - what about Magna Carta? Did she die in vain? 4 2.42%
I'll wait before I make a judgement thank you. 27 16.36%
Mar-X-Lago! 6 3.64%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1st October 2022, 08:20 PM   #3081
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Her career is about to go boom!

Last edited by shemp; 1st October 2022 at 08:21 PM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2022, 08:34 PM   #3082
marting
Illuminator

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Unfortunately, federal judges are appointed for life.
Old 1st October 2022, 08:46 PM   #3083
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by marting View Post
She may not be able to be fired, but if your decisions are overturned a lot, it may be quietly "suggested" that you move on. At any rate, it's going to dead end your career.
Old 1st October 2022, 08:50 PM   #3084
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by marting View Post
Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
She may not be able to be fired, but if your decisions are overturned a lot, it may be quietly "suggested" that you move on. At any rate, it's going to dead end your career.
Aw, c'mon! Don't spoil the thread with seriousness.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2022, 09:19 PM   #3085
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I’m sure both sides hope to win the caisson appeal.
Old 1st October 2022, 09:32 PM   #3086
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
If there are any vacancies during Trump's second term he'll put her on the Supreme Court.
Old 1st October 2022, 11:16 PM   #3087
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Iím sure both sides hope to win the caisson appeal.
Bwwwaaahaaaahaaaaa!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2022, 11:19 PM   #3088
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
If there are any vacancies during Trump's second term he'll put her on the Supreme Court.
She'd fit right in with the quality of his other picks.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2022, 11:50 PM   #3089
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

NARA says is still does not have all the Trump Admin. documents:

Quote:
The National Archives and Records Administration says it is still missing records from former President Donald Trump's White House that were supposed to be turned over at the end of his term.

The agency's admission came in a letter dated Friday, but released Saturday, from NARA archivist Debra Steidel Wall to the House Oversight and Reform Committee's Chairwoman, Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-NY). Maloney had written to the National Archives in September to ask about presidential records that remain unaccounted for after the August raid of Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate, which produced scores of documents but raised the question of if other materials were still missing.
Trump arse spelunker, Peter Navarro, also has documents NARA wants:
Quote:

"NARA has been able to obtain such records from a number of former officials and will continue to pursue the return of similar types of Presidential records from former officials," the archivist wrote. "As appropriate, NARA would consult with the Department of Justice on whether ‘to initiate an action for the recovery of records unlawfully removed,’ as established under the Federal Records Act."

It is not clear if Steidel Wall is referring to former Trump adviser
Quote:
Peter Navarro, who has refused to turn over materials from his unofficial account without legal immunity and is being sued by the Justice Department for the messages, or others whom are not yet known to have withheld documents.
Old 2nd October 2022, 07:30 AM   #3090
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

Hopefully, the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals will act so quickly on the DOJ's expedited appeal that it will seem like they were shot out of a cannon.

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2022, 08:44 AM   #3091
eerok
Quixoticist

Comment from Newsweek article:

Quote:
Judge Qannon: "Which documents do you assert were planted by the FBI?"

Trump lawyer: "Unless we have time for a complete review, we would have to say all of them, Your Honor. Except the Time magazine Man of the Year cover. That's 100% legit and my client wants it back."

Judge Qannon: "How much time do you need for review?"

Lawyer: "We think a minimum of one full day per page would be fair."

Judge Qannon: "I agree. Excluding weekends and religious holidays, then... let's see... the next hearing is scheduled for September 29, 3022.

This court stands adjourned."
https://www.newsweek.com/judge-canno...xperts-1747727
Old 2nd October 2022, 09:30 AM   #3092
carlosy
Muse

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
All these comments by legal experts aren't worth anything, besides clicks and twitter-followers.
The only thing that matters, is did something illegal happen and if so, does anyone do anything about it.
carlosy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:21 PM   #3093
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Trump has told his hand picked SCOTUS cronies "Okay I've had enough fun, now save my ass like the good like Mob enforcers you basically are."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/04/polit...eal/index.html

So enjoy the hope while it lasts, in a few days Drunk Rape and Handmaiden will stop all the investigations into their Master and that will be it.
Old Today, 02:03 PM   #3094
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Trump has told his hand picked SCOTUS cronies "Okay I've had enough fun, now save my ass like the good like Mob enforcers you basically are."

So enjoy the hope while it lasts, in a few days Drunk Rape and Handmaiden will stop all the investigations into their Master and that will be it.
I'm not so sure about that. After all they didn't really do anything when it came to his efforts to overturn the election.

I have no doubt that the conservative members on the supreme Court want a Right wing theocracy. But they may not necessarily be beholden to Trump (and may even plan to offer him up as a sacrifice in an attempt to make people think they are not partisan, while at the same time gutting the voting rights act)

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:51 PM   #3095
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I'm not so sure about that. After all they didn't really do anything when it came to his efforts to overturn the election.

I have no doubt that the conservative members on the supreme Court want a Right wing theocracy. But they may not necessarily be beholden to Trump (and may even plan to offer him up as a sacrifice in an attempt to make people think they are not partisan, while at the same time gutting the voting rights act)

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk
I would tentatively agree with Segnosaur on this. I donít think SCOTUS is likely going to bail him out.

Trump is making a jurisdictional argument that the Court of Appeals has no business overruling Judge Cannon's court, but the same reasoning they are making applies to Judge Cannon's involvement. She is the one lacking jurisdiction. She recognized this right from the start when she asked why they are coming to her for relief. Judge Bruce Reinhart is the judge who issued the search warrant and should be the judge deciding on the process.
Old Today, 07:01 PM   #3096
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I would tentatively agree with Segnosaur on this. I don’t think SCOTUS is likely going to bail him out.
Me, too. In fact, the appeal to SCOTUS could totally backfire on the FPOTUS. Trump's current priority is to delay, delay, delay. SCOTUS could put an end to any further delay.

I expect the court will simply refuse to hear the case, but if it does hear it, I have some confidence the ruling will be rational, and Trump will have then exhausted his last route for appeal prematurely.

"He's the greatest mod that never was!" -- Monketey Ghost
jsfisher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:05 PM   #3097
Tero
Master Poster

Once Trump gets the Supreme Court to give secret documents back to the Special Master, he will then be demanding for the phones of FBI agents reading his documents. To see if personal texts reveal that they are never-Trumpers.

That's what he did to the FBI during the Mueller probe.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Parody: http://karireport.blogspot.com/
Poll: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...proval-rating/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:15 PM   #3098
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Just skip SCOTUS and go straight to the person who makes the actual decision: Ginni Thomas.
Old Today, 07:15 PM   #3099
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jsfisher View Post
Me, too. In fact, the appeal to SCOTUS could totally backfire on the FPOTUS. Trump's current priority is to delay, delay, delay. SCOTUS could put an end to any further delay.

I expect the court will simply refuse to hear the case, but if it does hear it, I have some confidence the ruling will be rational, and Trump will have then exhausted his last route for appeal prematurely.
It wouldn't shock me that the 11th Circuit court addresses the emergency request to take the entire case away from Judge Cannon before SCOTUS/ Clarence Thomas makes his/their ruling. This would make Trump's request moot.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics