IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 16th October 2021, 05:22 AM   #3641
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I am assuming ...
Quite. And I am assuming the doors still accessible to be inspected are on the upper side of the wreck, and therefore not relevant to the progress of its flooding. Those doors would not have been in the water until Estonia was going down by the stern.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th October 2021, 05:24 AM   #3642
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Access to the lower hull and superstructure are along the centre line of the ship.

There is a midships division of the car deck along it's length in the waist of the ship. This houses all the stairs, exhausts, plumbing and electrical ducting etc.
Ah. Thanks Cap'n. I misunderstood.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th October 2021, 05:24 AM   #3643
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

It had a car ramp of limited capacity, which itself was above the water line. The crew confirmed the car ramp was shut.

Kurm appears to have discovered that the car deck was sealed off after all (the centre doors are completely intact, firmly shut and not damaged in any way).
Do I need to post a video of a ship heading in to a heavy sea again?
It was motoring at high speed in to 6m waves.

That one set of doors is closed does not mean the deck was 'sealed off' There are multiple doorways, hatches, vents and intakes in the car deck.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th October 2021, 05:25 AM   #3644
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Obviously wrong as it sank HOFE in a very few minutes.
The Herald of Free Enterprise was turned to a shallow bank as soon as the crew realised what was happening the second it left port. The boatswain had not shut the car deck ferry doors, and thus lay on its side, after capsizing, on a shallow bank. Had it been out at sea it would have floated upside down for as long as five days, as with the MS Jan Heweliusz.

Do you see why the Herald of Free Enterprise didn't reach the stage of what happened next after it capsized?

Let me know if you still don't get it.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th October 2021, 05:25 AM   #3645
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Ladies do not 'stuff' or 'shove'.

Is this an attempt at an ad feminem argument?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th October 2021, 05:27 AM   #3646
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Quite. And I am assuming the doors still accessible to be inspected are on the upper side of the wreck, and therefore not relevant to the progress of its flooding. Those doors would not have been in the water until Estonia was going down by the stern.
Hang on. I thought you said the car deck was filled with seawater?

Mod InfoThread continues here.
Posted By:zooterkin

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!

Last edited by zooterkin; 16th October 2021 at 06:24 AM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories