IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 24th October 2021, 02:04 PM   #681
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Legitimate sources have been reporting that the notebook was wet but potentially salvageable for a couple days now. No word beyond that that I've seen. I would think the release of any info about the notebook from LE would make the news.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2021, 02:49 PM   #682
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
News reports also stated a backpack and notebook belonging to Brian Laundrie were found. There was speculation either might contain a suicide note. (An image of a 'suicide note' has been circulating online -- The Sun published it [see below] -- but it's considered a hoax, even by The Sun.) What are the chances a genuine note may be found? Was the backpack and notebook in water? If so, was the contents damaged, can it be restored? These are the questions but so far there appear to be no answers.
I think it is possible, but unlikely. FBI has said the notebook was not in the dry bag and was found separately. It was water logged. The spokesperson said they did not believe the notebook had been opened by anyone since it was found. They were going to try to dry it out in a way to be able to read the contents. FBI has said they think the notebook will be salvageable.

My guess is that there was something written on the cover, because that would explain why the FBI was able to so quickly say that these are Brian's things (and not just consistent with his things or something vague like that) and might explain why the FBI specifically identified the notebook as one of the objects found.

There was no reason for him to bring a dry bag with some objects in it. My guess is that the pack already had objects in it and he added something that he used the kill himself. The notebook was probably just one of the things already in the pack.

The notebook might be empty, but I think the odds are that it contains something. But those may be only older drawings or writings from before 8/27. I think if he wanted to leave a suicide note he would have left it where it could be found at home or in the car. Or even possibly if he put the notebook in the dry bag. Perhaps he wrote some final words for his own peace of mind, but that seems less likely.

The notebook probably will not contain anything significant to the case, but there is that possibility.
Old 24th October 2021, 02:55 PM   #683
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Was Brian aware the place was about to flood?
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2021, 03:20 PM   #684
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

News reports also stated a backpack and notebook belonging to Brian Laundrie were found. There was speculation either might contain a suicide note. (An image of a 'suicide note' has been circulating online -- The Sun published it [see below] -- but it's considered a hoax, even by The Sun.)
This is so stupid. "We think this is a hoax, so let's go ahead and publish it anyway and just slap a disclaimer on it."
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2021, 03:43 PM   #685
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Was Brian aware the place was about to flood?
Not likely. He probably killed himself 9/13. The water gage on Big Slough at Myakkahatchee show the water level a bit low on 9/13 and then rising a little less than a foot by 9/18. The big rains started 9/20 and the creek rose another 4 feet by 9/24 and then began to slowly fall. The creek gauges came back down to the 9/13 level by 10/1, but it probably takes a while for the flooded areas to drain. Brian's dad went out there with police on 10/7 and it was still very wet. Brian may have known that was an area that could flood, but I doubt he knew that it would flood. He didn't go very far in, so I doubt he expected it would be long before he was discovered. I doubt he was thinking about flood levels at the time.

People talk about how odd it was that his dad found him so quickly, but the more I think about the more it is not that unusual. I had suspected early on that if he killed himself that unless he had some favorite place, he probably just walked in far enough to be in the woods. That is exactly what he did. After going across the bridge from Myakkahatchee, he went up the first bike trail along the west side of Big Slough creek and then when he got past the marsh he went into the woods and died. That is where the tent was and the woods. Or it may have even been right on the trail; that is where the crime scene tape was set up.

Brian's dad knew that police had checked much of the park. He believed that Brian was somewhere just across the bridge. The police focus was much more on the east side of the reserve. Of course, they had to consider the possibility that he was alive and hiding out there, and the east side is higher elevation and has more developed campgrounds and buildings.

Where the police had already searched and the places that had been flooded would have narrowed down the likely places to find something. When he was out there on 10/7 it appears they went around the trials on the east side of the Big Slough. Going back, the next logical place to search is the west side, which is where he found something.

Someone local to there area had been posting a lot of things about the case for weeks. She planned to go out there to search. I think other people planned to do the same. She and her boyfriend went out there the day before (I think) and searched along the east side of the creek. She planned to go back that weekend to search the west side. If Brian's dad hadn't found him, someone else likely would have before to long.

Of course, it is bizarre that the police didn't go back there to check after the water levels went down. After all that effort, they didn't recheck the most obvious places. That added a bizarre twist to this whole saga.
Old 25th October 2021, 04:23 PM   #686
Carlotta
Muse

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Yep. Haven't you ever seen the TV show Bones? The show took similar liberties as CSI for entertainment value, but it's a real job.
The autopsy performed on what has been called the "skeletal remains" of Brian Laundrie has not produced a cause-of-death finding.

Forensic anthropologists? Learn something new everyday.
One of my usual bit late, bit off-topic posts, but the series History Cold Case is a fascinating, if grizzly, nonfiction look at forensic anthropology.
Carlotta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2021, 08:53 PM   #687
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

The lawyer has significantly backtracked on the claim that they notified the police that Brian was missing on the night he went for the hike.

He said they contact police and that he personally called the FBI to report him missing. But then he said that “they” didn’t mean the parents and it was just him who reported him missing to the FBI on the night that he left. Then he said he wasn’t sure if he notified FBI that night or the next morning. He said he had to check with FBI and their notes said it was the night Brian disappeared. (Apparently he keeps no notes regarding his legal cases or something). He then said that the reason he wasn’t sure of the date was because he didn’t actually call the FBI to report Brian missing but that he had been having multiple conversations per day with the FBI and that it only came up in the middle of one of those conversations that he said that Brian had gone for a hike and hadn’t come home.

The North Port Police Department (NPPD) in the following days had been asking him to meet with Brian. They even put out a tweet asking to do that. They said they had eyes on Brian (It was later revealed they had installed secret surveillance camera around the home, but they somehow spectacularly failed to see him leaving or that the Mustang was gone for two days even while a NPPD report was flied for the car as abandoned at the park). That resulted in them saying that they knew exactly where Brian was, when they did not. NPPD says the first notice they got and they were very surprised about Brian being missing was after the missing person report was filed 9/17.

This impression went form the parents calling the police and saying, “Brian is missing!! OMG!!!!” to the lawyer mentioning in one of multiple conversations with the FBI, “I’ll have to ask with Brian later. He went on a hike a bit ago and hasn’t come home yet.”

The lawyer also says that he had to have a consultation for an ethical opinion on reporting Brian missing.
To cut It short, that means he had knowledge of Brian’s dissapeance from conversations from his parents, which are confidential. But they can file a report, but he also represents Brian. If Brian had decided to go on the run, with no arrest warrant issued yet, he is obligated to his client and reporting him as missing would help the police and not his client. He had no idea what to do and so did nothing.

The parents became increasingly concerned that he had killed himself or may kill himself and wanted help from the police. Meanwhile, the FBI called the lawyer about a tip that Brian was seen in Tampa. They wanted to meet with the Laudries at the home do see if he was there. The lawyer set up that meeting. Somewhere in there the lawyer did the ethical consultation. He knew that he could not continue to remain silent. FBI would get a warrant on something.

So, they didn’t really report Brian as missing on 9/13 as they claimed. They only mentioned that he had not come back from a hike in the context that implied that hey would be home soon. Really, they didn’t disclose that because the lawyer was trying to protect Brian who might be on the run. It was only when they were essentially forced by the FBI to check if he was in the house that they actually told anybody that he was missing.

Completely misleading statement by the lawyer. But it worked. The unjustified social media hatred of the parents was unjustifiably turned around. The nonsense leading the nonsense.
Old 25th October 2021, 09:04 PM   #688
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Do you have source for all that? It's confusing to me because you're reporting things like this:
Quote:
So, they didn’t really report Brian as missing on 9/13 as they claimed. They only mentioned that he had not come back from a hike in the context that implied that hey would be home soon.
But my understanding wasn't that the claim they reported him missing. My understanding was they (I've never been clear on who the "they" actually was) just told the police he'd gone for a hike and hadn't come home.

Too confusing.

ETA: Actually, don't put any effort in to sources. Probably best just to wait for the dust to settle.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 25th October 2021 at 09:05 PM.
Old 25th October 2021, 09:18 PM   #689
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Do you have source for all that? It's confusing to me because you're reporting things like this:

But my understanding wasn't that the claim they reported him missing. My understanding was they (I've never been clear on who the "they" actually was) just told the police he'd gone for a hike and hadn't come home.

Too confusing.

ETA: Actually, don't put any effort in to sources. Probably best just to wait for the dust to settle.
I could get sources for all of that but that is difficult because it is based on many interviews and comments that the lawyer has made over time. My commentary is based on all these different things he has said, not a particular statement.

The lawyer's early statements were that they had reported Brian as missing. Only later, the lawyer said that they just said that he had not come home.

Last edited by DevilsAdvocate; 25th October 2021 at 09:21 PM.
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events