IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 26th October 2021, 12:01 PM   #2801
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Rules of the game. Sorry. I didn't make them.

There is a separate topic on Baldwin. Suffice it to say, as a Producer on the film, he is far from in the clear.
You just did make up the "rules" by creating a false equivalency and saying it's OK. Or should I say you're attempting to make them because no one with any sense of logic or decency would follow that 'rule'.

Suffice it to say that you're just making up crap.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2021, 12:05 PM   #2802
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
You just did make up the "rules" by creating a false equivalency and saying it's OK. Or should I say you're attempting to make them because no one with any sense of logic or decency would follow that 'rule'.

Suffice it to say that you're just making up crap.
As stated:

Nope. But I am not caught up in any liberal angst about what is occurring here, either.

These are the rules of the game. If you are an outspoken critic and publicly mock and judge others as Baldwin has done, you can expect others to respond in kind.

He railed on Trump for years; now the "Trump Team" is going to pay him back. With interest.
While you may not like it, it is the way the world works. And this is going to be the gift that keeps on giving, for Trump and his allies, when it comes to Baldwin. Some may call it karma.
Old 26th October 2021, 12:08 PM   #2803
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

As stated:

While you may not like it, it is the way the world works. And this is going to be the gift that keeps on giving, for Trump and his allies, when it comes to Baldwin. Some may call it karma.
It is not the way the world works: it's the way the Trump family, their followers and some people with very sick views work.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2021, 12:15 PM   #2804
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Alec Baldwin wasn't a politician railing on trump for years. He was an actor playing trump in comedy skits. We keep hearing about the "rules." What rules? Can anyone name one former president -- much less a former president's son or daughter -- that did something like donnie jr. has done?

And you have to admit, there were at least "41 times Alec Baldwin absolutely nailed trump."

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2021, 12:18 PM   #2805
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Alec Baldwin wasn't a politician railing on trump for years. He was an actor playing trump in comedy skits. We keep hearing about the "rules." What rules? Can anyone name one former president -- much less a former president's son or daughter -- that did something like donnie jr. has done?

And you have to admit, there were at least "41 times Alec Baldwin absolutely nailed trump."

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
And at least one time he absolutely "nailed" a cinematographer with a bullet, killing her. As I say, Trump and his followers have every right to go after him. Everybody knows the rules. We all knew this was coming.

Last edited by Warp12; 26th October 2021 at 12:19 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2021, 12:32 PM   #2806
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

And at least one time he absolutely "nailed" a cinematographer with a bullet, killing her. As I say, Trump and his followers have every right to go after him. Everybody knows the rules. We all knew this was coming.
Old 26th October 2021, 12:35 PM   #2807
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

...As I say, Trump and his followers have every right to go after him...
As Sgt. Joe Friday used to say, "How's that again?"

And at least one time he absolutely "nailed" a cinematographer with a bullet, killing her.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2021, 12:44 PM   #2808
Warp12
Master Poster

Comically appropriate image, considering the topic.
Old 26th October 2021, 12:51 PM   #2809
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Comically appropriate image, considering the topic.
I'm glad you agree it's an appropriate image. But now you're just doing your usual routine so I'll be saying, "Buh-bye!"
Old 26th October 2021, 01:16 PM   #2810
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Well said, newyorkguy and CapelDodger! Warp's post is a classic example of false equivalence. Baldwin's role on SNL mocking Trump for his stupidity, lies, and behavior never included trying to make money off of someone's tragic death. Never mind that Baldwin himself was not responsible for that death and that blame lies on the armorer and, perhaps, the asst. director. The latter may or may not have violated a safety protocol as I think that's not been determined yet. But for anyone to think what Baldwin did as comedy skits is in any way comparable to what Donnie Jr. is doing is just unbelievable. The former is comedy and the latter is just tasteless, disgusting, money-grubbing, attention seeking pandering to Daddy. Any sense of shame is just non-existent in the Trump family. They are one sick bunch.
And that sickness is shared, in a feedback loop among a not small fraction of the citizenry, that I hope doesn't become terminal.

It keeps astonishing me this ever more rapid descent into collective depravity overtaking America.

Last edited by Lurch; 26th October 2021 at 01:19 PM.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2021, 01:17 PM   #2811
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
The crazy get crazier. What happened, America? Remember John-John? Caroline? Julie Nixon? Chelsea Clinton? The Obama girls?

Now this? What's happening in this country?
I swear!

Trump and his chosen family never miss a chance to make even more money off of their supporters.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2021, 01:28 PM   #2812
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
And that sickness is shared, in a feedback loop among a not small fraction of the citizenry, that I hope doesn't become terminal.

It keeps astonishing me this ever more rapid descent into collective depravity overtaking America.
It astonishes you, but it scares the crap out of me! l live here!
Old 26th October 2021, 01:28 PM   #2813
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
I swear!

Trump and his chosen family never miss a chance to make even more money off of their supporters.
Undoubtedly the proceeds from the sale of the shirts will be donated to the dead lady's family? No. Wait . . . .
Old 26th October 2021, 01:31 PM   #2814
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Undoubtedly the proceeds from the sale of the shirts will be donated to the dead lady's family? No. Wait . . . .
Old 26th October 2021, 01:35 PM   #2815
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I have to say that I find the attempt to equate the mocking of a man who has just accidentally killed another human being with the mocking of the normal (well, normal for him) behaviour of the President deeply disturbing.
Old 26th October 2021, 01:43 PM   #2816
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I think the far more reasonable thing is for politicians to realize that is their role to receive criticism. The only reasonable thing to criticize Baldwin for is his acting in released films and television.
But we're talking about our former fearless leader and his cult. Since when did you become such a starry-eyed optimist, Bob?

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2021, 01:44 PM   #2817
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
I expect that many of the graduates of Trump University eagerly believe such a noble purpose is what the T-shirt sale is really for.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2021, 01:50 PM   #2818
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

[hilite]Rules of the game. Sorry. I didn't make them. [hilite]

There is a separate topic on Baldwin. Suffice it to say, as a Producer on the film, he is far from in the clear.
Are you not capable of deciding for yourself what standards to apply to your own conduct or do you think this is a clever way of not having to take responsibility for your own behavior?

Please do visit that other thread for an update on how bad your "producer" argument is.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 26th October 2021 at 01:52 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2021, 01:53 PM   #2819
surrogate
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I have to say that I find the attempt to equate the mocking of a man who has just accidentally killed another human being with the mocking of the normal (well, normal for him) behaviour of the President deeply disturbing.
We call them the deplorables for a reason.
surrogate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2021, 03:41 PM   #2820
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Somebody died. Someone with loved ones. A piece of dirt mocks that to amuse his vile father, and you accept it. Is there no position you won't twist yourself into to excuse this monstrous breed called "Trump"? Have you no decency left?
One can't have decency left if they never had any to begin with.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2021, 03:53 PM   #2821
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Some may call it karma.
Only people with a warped morality.

Utter nonsense, although it does neatly highlight the lengths Trump supporters will go to to try and score cheap shots at his perceived enemies.

It's sick and disgraceful. Do carry on.
Old 26th October 2021, 04:18 PM   #2822
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

You guys are missing the point; Warp12 is an edgy contrarian: Just look him being all edgily contrary and ****.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2021, 04:25 PM   #2823
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
You guys are missing the point; Warp12 is an edgy contrarian: Just look him being all edgily contrary and ****.
As a generalisation and certainly not attacking the arguer, ****-stirrers are usually the ones closest to and covered in ****.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2021, 05:02 PM   #2824
mgidm86
Philosopher

Who said they can't "go after" Baldwin? They can do whatever they want and the rest of us can think they are scum for doing so. Is anyone here trying to silence Donnie?

I never watched Baldwin do his Trump routine because at that time I hated liberals. I'd say, "**** Baldwin I don't care what he says". I've been on both sides of all of this.

Trump was so bad he showed me the error of my ways. How could I ever align myself with a piece of crap like Trump and the rest of his gang? I hated Hillary, hated, but she was right about deplorables, 100%.

Damn and I felt kinda bad making my Kim Jong Il "Awec Bawwin" joke. Thank jebus the Trumps are here to outdo me! I will never be the biggest ass in the room as long as a Trump is around (sans a few).

I mean seriously...a grown man is selling that shirt? Wow how far we have fallen are falling. I'd be SO proud of a family member for doing that. Good gawd. Some truly warped minds.

Last edited by mgidm86; 26th October 2021 at 05:19 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2021, 05:06 PM   #2825
dirtywick
Illuminator

Baldwin doing Trump was an interesting time. They basically just quoted him verbatim and exaggerated everyone else.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2021, 05:06 PM   #2826
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Who said they can't "go after" Baldwin? They can do whatever they want and the rest of us can think they are scum for doing so. Is anyone here trying to silence Donnie?

I never watched Baldwin do his Trump routine because at that time I hated liberals. I'd say, "**** Baldwin I don't care what he says". I've been on both sides of all of this.

Trump was so bad he showed me the error of my ways. How could I ever align myself with a piece of crap like Trump and the rest of his gang? I hated Hillary, hated, but she was right about deplorables, 100%.

Damn and I felt kinda bad making my Kim Jong Il "Arec Barrwin" joke. Thank jebus the Trumps are here to outdo me! I will never be the biggest ass in the room as long as a Trump is around (sans a few).

I mean seriously...a grown man is selling that shirt? Wow how far we have fallen are falling. I'd be SO proud of a family member for doing that. Good gawd. Some truly warped minds.
Thank you

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2021, 05:21 PM   #2827
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Resume View Post

I agree with ****.
Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM   #2828
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Somebody died. Someone with loved ones. A piece of dirt mocks that to amuse his vile father, and you accept it. Is there no position you won't twist yourself into to excuse this monstrous breed called "Trump"? Have you no decency left?
Nope. Trump supporters left decency behind a long,long time ago.
Hopefully this comes as no shock to you.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:28 PM   #2829
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
Baldwin doing Trump was an interesting time. They basically just quoted him verbatim and exaggerated everyone else.
Only thing Baldwin did that was better then his Trump was his rant in "Glengerry Glenn Ross".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM   #2830
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And Donnie Jr is not the brightest bulb on the planet either.
It was people in the Trump White House who gave him the nickname "Fredo" because of his stupidity.
I understnad even Donnie knows his son is not much in the brains department.

Robert Heinlein.
Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM   #2831
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Bizarro world seems like an understatement.
I see Donnie chose a pose where he is giving a Fascist style salute for that photo....

Robert Heinlein.
Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM   #2832
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Nope. Trump supporters left decency behind a long,long time ago.
Hopefully this comes as no shock to you.
Trump supporters never had any decency. Trump attracts the worst subhuman vermin imaginable, people bereft of even the slightest shred of humanity. They make people who steal candy from babies look like humanitarians. They are the same kind of people who were attracted to Hitler.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM   #2833
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Trump supporters never had any decency. Trump attracts the worst subhuman vermin imaginable, people bereft of even the slightest shred of humanity. They make people who steal candy from babies look like humanitarians. They are the same kind of people who were attracted to Hitler.
I wish I had some evidence to prove you are wrong.
Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM   #2834
Worm
Illuminator

looks like the statement has been removed. Doesn't seem to be on the website any more.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness

Last edited by Worm; Yesterday at 05:40 PM.
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM   #2835
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

It's like they're a cross between dogs and monkeys. Sure they have opposable thumbs but they fall all over each other to be the first in line to hump Trump's leg. Disgusting, pathetic and weak.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM   #2836
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I don't agree at all.

People who were attracted to Hitler were prepared to put their bodies on the line for their leader, and did so in their millions.

Trump's supporters are lazy, obese filth whose main exercise is opening another beer.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics