IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Florida politics , Ron DeSantis

Old 21st October 2021, 02:29 PM   #721
slyjoe
Master Poster

Florida's new surgeon general is a real winner.

Quote:
Ladapo invoked anecdotal examples and unsubstantiated conspiracy theories to argue against the vaccines, according to footage from WFLA, the NBC News station in Tampa.

"I mean you hear these stories of people telling you what's been happening in their lives, of nurses and pregnant women who are being forced to, you know, to sort of put something in their bodies that we don't know all there is to know about yet, no matter what people on TV tell you," he said during an event with Gov. Ron DeSantis.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...covid-n1282082
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2021, 12:29 AM   #722
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Florida's new surgeon general is a real winner.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...covid-n1282082
It's Florida. It's a requirement to be a Republican crack pot to get elected or appointed to a state gov't position.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2021, 03:52 PM   #723
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Hm.
Old 23rd October 2021, 12:37 AM   #724
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
Hm.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: DeSantis is Trump's Minime.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2021, 11:36 AM   #725
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Ron DeSantis Wants To Pay Anti-Vaccine Police $5,000 To Relocate To Florida

I mean I get it.

Cops show up at a dodgy black van that says "Free Candy" on the side.

But I never expected them to get in and it drives off with them.

Last edited by Solitaire; 25th October 2021 at 11:39 AM.
Solitaire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2021, 11:46 AM   #726
Warp12
Master Poster

Seems like Florida has weathered the Covid storm, for now. Good news for DeSantis.

https://cbs12.com/news/local/covid-1...-straight-week
Old 25th October 2021, 12:06 PM   #727
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Seems like Florida has weathered the Covid storm, for now. Good news for DeSantis.

It's down in spite of DeSantis, not because of DeSantis.

DeSantis nominated an idiot for FL Surgeon General, Dr. Joseph Ladapo.

This idiot refused to wear a mask in the office of a state senator who was just diagnosed with breast cancer. She told him about her then unannounced cancer and asked him to put on a mask. He refused and wouldn't give her an answer to why he wouldn't. She finally had to ask him to leave.

Quote:
More than 350 Florida doctors signed a letter asking the state Senate to closely scrutinize Gov. Ron DeSantis’ selection for surgeon general before confirm the nomination during next year's legislative session.

The letter Tuesday outlined a series of questions about nominee Dr. Joseph Ladapo’s positions, including his opposition to required masks in schools. Many of his approaches to the COVID pandemic put him into conflict with the recommendations of the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the American Academy of Pediatrics on masks for children.
Quote:
The letter also calls on the Republican-controlled Senate to look into Ladapo’s alleged ties to American Frontline Doctors, a conservative political group accused of spreading misinformation about COVID-19.
Quote:
“Florida will completely reject fear as a way of making policies in public health,” Ladapo said.
https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/health...nominee-ladapo

Way to go, DeSantis....appoint a surgeon general who is more concerned with 'You can't tell me what to do" politics than the health and deaths of Floridians!
Old 25th October 2021, 12:10 PM   #728
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
It's down in spite of DeSantis, not because of DeSantis.

DeSantis nominated an idiot for FL Surgeon General, Dr. Joseph Ladapo.

This idiot refused to wear a mask in the office of a state senator who was just diagnosed with breast cancer. She told him about her then unannounced cancer and asked him to put on a mask. He refused and wouldn't give her an answer to why he wouldn't. She finally had to ask him to leave.

https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/health...nominee-ladapo

Way to go, DeSantis....appoint a surgeon general who is more concerned with 'You can't tell me what to do" politics than the health and deaths of Floridians!

Last edited by Warp12; 25th October 2021 at 12:30 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2021, 12:22 PM   #729
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Well, if you cannot even post a link, it is difficult to believe you are competent in anything. It is not that hard.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2021, 12:25 PM   #730
Warp12
Master Poster

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Well, if you cannot even post a link, it is difficult to believe you are competent in anything. It is not that hard.
Huh? The link works, from my original post...in my country, at least. It did at the time of posting.

Last edited by Warp12; 25th October 2021 at 12:32 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2021, 01:21 PM   #731
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

It worked once for me and once did not. Weird.

From the article:
Quote:
That's down from a high of 151,715 cases on Aug. 20, during the summer surge and renewed push for vaccinations and monoclonal antibody treatment therapy.

The number of vaccinations administered to Floridians reached a 10-week high of 533,626 during the week beginning Aug. 20. But vaccination numbers dropped to 229,389 during last week.
Gee, I wonder if the drop in cases has anything to do with non-stupid Floridians getting vaccinated?
Old 25th October 2021, 07:54 PM   #732
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Actually, just in the last couple of days Florida has moved into a virtual tie with Massachusetts and Arkansas for 7th place in Covid deaths per capita among U.S. states. Florida started out way down the field a few months ago, but through valiant struggle has made a spectacular advance. Arkansas has also been moving up the ranks of the Death Race 2021 competition. Georgia, a few places behind, is also making a strong run, and Mississippi and Alabama have surpassed all others to take a firm hold on first and second place respectively. By contrast, early hot spot Massachusetts, after holding third place for the better part of two years, has been falling down the ranks being surpassed by one Southern state after another.

Last edited by Myriad; 25th October 2021 at 07:56 PM.
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2021, 12:16 AM   #733
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Actually, just in the last couple of days Florida has moved into a virtual tie with Massachusetts and Arkansas for 7th place in Covid deaths per capita among U.S. states. Florida started out way down the field a few months ago, but through valiant struggle has made a spectacular advance. Arkansas has also been moving up the ranks of the Death Race 2021 competition. Georgia, a few places behind, is also making a strong run, and Mississippi and Alabama have surpassed all others to take a firm hold on first and second place respectively. By contrast, early hot spot Massachusetts, after holding third place for the better part of two years, has been falling down the ranks being surpassed by one Southern state after another.
THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN!
Old 26th October 2021, 10:11 AM   #734
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Florida is only going to get worse and worse. The death toll from COVID there is going to skyrocket. Desantis is going to have a problem being seen in public in the next couple of months.
This prediction didn't age well.
Old 26th October 2021, 10:52 AM   #735
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
This prediction didn't age well.
Yes, it overestimated the intelligence of Florida man.

The 7 day average of deaths at the time of that post was 88, it went up to 445. Seems to support the pandemic getting worse side of the prediction. September 20 saw over 600 deaths reported. Skyrocket is not a well defined term, but that peak is pretty steep and marks the highest death toll in Florida during the pandemic.

Current 7 day average is still over 100 deaths per day.

Florida man still doesn’t care. So yeah, not a good prediction.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.

Last edited by Dr. Keith; 26th October 2021 at 10:56 AM.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2021, 11:03 AM   #736
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Yes, it overestimated the intelligence of Florida man.

The 7 day average of deaths at the time of that post was 88, it went up to 445. Seems to support the pandemic getting worse side of the prediction. September 20 saw over 600 deaths reported. Skyrocket is not a well defined term, but that peak is pretty steep and marks the highest death toll in Florida during the pandemic.

Current 7 day average is still over 100 deaths per day.

Florida man still doesn’t care. So yeah, not a good prediction.
The 7 day average going from 445 to 100 sure as heck doesn't sound like getting worse and worse.
Old 26th October 2021, 12:06 PM   #737
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

The 7 day average going from 445 to 100 sure as heck doesn't sound like getting worse and worse.
As I said, that's in spite of, not because of DeSantis. Those getting vaccinated and wearing masks are responsible for the decline. Let's not pretend otherwise.
Old 26th October 2021, 12:08 PM   #738
Warp12
Master Poster

As I said, that's in spite of, not because of DeSantis. Those getting vaccinated and wearing masks are responsible for the decline. Let's not pretend otherwise.
So, when the numbers were skyrocketing, it was all because of DeSantis and his influence. Now that they are coming down, it has nothing to do with DeSantis and his influence?

Both ideas seem equally legit.
Old 26th October 2021, 12:11 PM   #739
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Sure, but the prediction was made when the 7 day average was 88. Look at a graph of covid deaths in Florida, they skyrocketed after the prediction was made and are still higher.

Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2021, 12:29 PM   #740
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

So, when the numbers were skyrocketing, it was all because of DeSantis and his influence. Now that they are coming down, it has nothing to do with DeSantis and his influence?

Let me 'splain this to you, Lucy:

When the numbers were skyrocketing, DeSantis was actively working against masking and telling people

Quote:
The Florida governor’s clear and unadulterated public messaging about the need for vaccines has become more diluted in recent months, culminating with a press conference he held this week to bash President Joe Biden’s new vaccine mandate plan — and threaten to fine cities and counties that impose their own mandates.

The event in the small Florida town of Newberry featured two anti-vaccine workers, one of whom falsely claimed he wouldn’t get a shot because it “changes your RNA.” DeSantis at the time said nothing about the misinformation, a standard anti-vaccine talking point, and subsequently refused to say why he didn’t correct the falsehood.

Another speaker DeSantis invited suggested that vaccines were deadly without mentioning how rare that is or how far more unvaccinated people die of Covid. "My body, my choice,” she said, adopting the slogan of abortion rights advocates.
Quote:
The inclusion of anti-vaccine misinformation at a DeSantis press conference marks a major departure from the stronger and more direct case he made for vaccines earlier in the year. The shift by the Republican governor — considered a leading contender for the 2024 presidential primary — coincides with more vocal anti-vaccine voices in the GOP, who went so far as to boo former President Donald Trump for telling people in Alabama to “take the vaccines.”
Quote:
DeSantis has been drifting in that direction for months. As the pace of vaccinations slowed both in Florida and across the nation, and as the most devastating Covid wave to hit Florida started to swamp the state over the summer, DeSantis’ comments about the need for more shots became more nuanced. That took a back seat to his promotion of monoclonal antibody treatments like Regeneron, which he started in earnest in mid-August as the state was breaking records for new infections and hospitalizations.
https://www.politico.com/states/flor...-crowd-1391038

That cases are declining is due to 68% of Floridians have had one dose of a Covid 19 vaccine and 59% are fully vaccinated

Eight school districts in Florida, including the largest, are defying DeSantis' anti-masking mandate and requiring students to mask.

Like I said, in spite of DeSantis, not because of DeSantis

It's a simple enough concept to understand for most people.
Old 26th October 2021, 12:32 PM   #741
Warp12
Master Poster

<lots of words that don't do anything to discount what Warp12 said>
Got it. Desantis thanks you for your support.
Old 26th October 2021, 12:35 PM   #742
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Got it. Desantis thanks you for your support.
Trump and MinimeTrump thank you for yours.
Old 26th October 2021, 12:59 PM   #743
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

You kill enough people the rate is going to drop off eventually, right?

Old 26th October 2021, 01:00 PM   #744
cmikes
Muse

Wait a minute. You're saying people will look at the available information and make their own decisions without the government forcing them to do the right thing "for their own good"?

Huh, who would have thought it?
cmikes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2021, 01:21 PM   #745
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cmikes View Post
Wait a minute. You're saying people will look at the available information and make their own decisions without the government forcing them to do the right thing "for their own good"?

Intelligent and logical people who don't put politics ahead of a pandemic that has killed millions worldwide will. Trouble is, there are a lot of people who aren't one or the other... or either...and don't. It's why we have to have anti-drinking and driving laws, seatbelt laws, and other laws that are for the public good.
Old 26th October 2021, 02:53 PM   #746
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cmikes View Post

Maybe we should all move to Portugal?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/01/w...tion-rate.html

Quote:
In Portugal, There Is Virtually No One Left to Vaccinate

Portugal is among the most highly vaccinated countries in the world. Vice Adm. Henrique Gouveia e Melo, who led the campaign, said there was a key to his success: Keep politics out of it.
Old 26th October 2021, 05:11 PM   #747
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
You kill enough people the rate is going to drop off eventually, right?
There you go.

Other than people dying and thinning the pool of available lives to end, what exactly do people think DeSantis did to make the numbers improve.

What has DeSantis done to help the numbers? I mean if he's responsible it should be easy to point out how.
Old 26th October 2021, 07:27 PM   #748
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
There you go.

Other than people dying and thinning the pool of available lives to end, what exactly do people think DeSantis did to make the numbers improve.

What has DeSantis done to help the numbers? I mean if he's responsible it should be easy to point out how.
He stood up to the tyrant Biden.

Old 26th October 2021, 07:40 PM   #749
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Maybe we should all move to Portugal?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/01/w...tion-rate.html
This week in Portugal Covid 19 News: 375 people hospitalized/ 57 in ICU.

52 infections per 100K people reported last 7 days. Oct 26: 5 deaths.

Those poor vaccinated people who are all walking around magnetized, their genes changed, and being tracked by Bill Gates!
Old Today, 01:28 AM   #750
catsmate
No longer the 1

This week in Portugal Covid 19 News: 375 people hospitalized/ 57 in ICU.

52 infections per 100K people reported last 7 days. Oct 26: 5 deaths.

Those poor vaccinated people who are all walking around magnetized, their genes changed, and being tracked by Bill Gates!
In Ireland 94% of adults and 76% of the entire population.
Now we need to bite the bullet, close the border and keep the disease ridden Brits out.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:50 AM   #751
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
In Ireland 94% of adults and 76% of the entire population.
Now we need to bite the bullet, close the border and keep the disease ridden Brits out.
Every day my Teams call with my European clients begins with a cheery "How are things on Plague Island ?" greeting.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics