IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , Coronavirus conspiracies , diseases , medical conspiracies

Old Today, 12:54 AM   #1601
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
These government clowns are using almost as many scare quotes as I do.
Just... not used as scare quotes?
Old Today, 12:57 AM   #1602
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
It is not a real pandemic
(friendly reminder)
Education failure exposed...

Pandemic: Event in which a disease spreads across several countries and affects a large number of people.

What is the definition of Pandemic for anti-vaxxers? {}, aka
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:14 AM   #1603
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Just... not used as scare quotes?

Your source is BS. You can go to the wikipedia article about "Pandemic" and find there that the WHO changed the definition in 2009. It is sourced with this SPIEGEL article:

Originally Posted by Former News Magazine, 2009
SPIEGEL: Do you think the WHO declared a pandemic prematurely?

Jefferson: Don't you think there's something noteworthy about the fact that the WHO has changed its definition of pandemic? The old definition was a new virus, which went around quickly, for which you didn't have immunity, and which created a high morbidity and mortality rate. Now the last two have been dropped, and that's how swine flu has been categorized as a pandemic.

It wouldn't have been possible to declare Corinna a pandemic under the pre-2009 WHO definition.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; Today at 01:17 AM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:15 AM   #1604
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
It is not a real pandemic

(friendly reminder)
My point exactly. You even get the biggest story of the current century wrong.

You? Tell me to open my eyes? Puhhhlleeezzeeee.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:43 AM   #1605
Aridas

Your source is BS.
Err... I read the article. It doesn't seem to actually back that up. Yes, Tom Jefferson makes that claim, but him making that claim seems to be all you have to work with there, based on your link.

As it stands, the deeper delve into the subject that I linked to can be considered to pre-emptively address that. Plenty more details can be found in the more full text there, which, in short, leads me to the conclusion that you are just trying to dismiss it on any flimsy pretext you think that you can, because it doesn't agree fully with your preferred narrative as it deals with the subject about as neutrally as reasonably possible.

Just to poke at an aside from my link when it comes to "my" source and Tom Jefferson, though...

Quote:
Acknowledgements

I am grateful to Yuko Hara, Peter Graumann and Tom Jefferson for their perceptive observations and comments. I also wish to thank the Hugh Hampton Young Memorial Fellowship committee at MIT for their generous support of my research.

Last edited by Aridas; Today at 02:17 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:43 AM   #1606
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

I have no idea who Tom Jefferson is. It is just the source wikipedia uses. That the WHO changed the definition of "pandemic" in 2009 is common knowledge. I needed no source to pick up Bubba's offer.
Old Today, 02:50 AM   #1607
Aridas

I have no idea who Tom Jefferson is. It is just the source wikipedia uses.
And more than enough has been provided to demonstrate that such is fairly certainly not the whole truth of the matter in ways that undermine the attempted usage here.

That the WHO changed the definition of "pandemic" in 2009 is common knowledge. I needed no source to pick up Bubba's offer.
Claims useful for supporting preferred narratives do tend to become more popular, after all. The truth of the matter is not always the same as one's preferred narratives, though.

Last edited by Aridas; Today at 02:51 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories