IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Lauren Boebert , Marjorie Taylor Greene

Old 5th February 2021, 01:05 PM   #521
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
She thanked the Dems this morning for removing her from the committees, which would have been a waste of her time. And declared that the GOP belongs to Trump and Trump alone.
When a CNN reporter asked her about her comments about Pelosi she tried to not answer by asking the reporter if she'd ever apologized for accusing Trump of colluding with the Russians. She basically just became aggressive and kept going round and round never answering the question about Pelosi. There's no way she's going to be able to keep her mouth shut.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2021, 01:06 PM   #522
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by grunion View Post
I'm wondering how long Kevin McCarthy gets away with claiming ignorance of Qanon ("can't even pronounce it".) I suspect that will now be the official response of the No-Nothing QOP.
He's on public record as talking about it with basically correct pronunciation. Numerous times.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2021, 01:13 PM   #523
dirtywick
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
When a CNN reporter asked her about her comments about Pelosi she tried to not answer by asking the reporter if she'd ever apologized for accusing Trump of colluding with the Russians. She basically just became aggressive and kept going round and round never answering the question about Pelosi. There's no way she's going to be able to keep her mouth shut.
Trump should have been a giant lesson that this style of politician can't be controlled.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2021, 01:16 PM   #524
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
He's on public record as talking about it with basically correct pronunciation. Numerous times.
Just another example of the lying they're so infamous for. Sean Hannity actually had the gall to say 'Not a single conservative I know' shares Greene's 'conspiratorial beliefs.'
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2021, 01:24 PM   #525
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Just another example of the lying they're so infamous for. Sean Hannity actually had the gall to say 'Not a single conservative I know' shares Greene's 'conspiratorial beliefs.'
Except Trump. Careful, Sean!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2021, 01:26 PM   #526
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
Trump should have been a giant lesson that this style of politician can't be controlled.
Hopefully the Dems will ensure this loose canon always goes off in the Republican ship.
Old 5th February 2021, 01:54 PM   #527
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
She thanked the Dems this morning for removing her from the committees, which would have been a waste of her time. And declared that the GOP belongs to Trump and Trump alone.
She didn't get the message that ship sank.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2021, 01:55 PM   #528
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Oh that Qanon.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2021, 01:56 PM   #529
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Except Trump. Careful, Sean!
Those aren't conspiracies, those are real.
Old 5th February 2021, 02:02 PM   #530
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

So the GOP belongs to Trump.

"Ein Reich, Ein Party, Ein Fuehrer".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2021, 02:08 PM   #531
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post

But don't dare call it a cult.
Old 5th February 2021, 03:19 PM   #532
xjx388

According to MTG, maybe. I don't think you can extrapolate that opinion to every member of the GOP.
Old 5th February 2021, 04:14 PM   #533
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
Hell, Hitler should have shown them that.
Never forget Hitler did not seize power in a coup, he was given it by German conservatives uner the illusion they cold control him. Van Papen, the head of the conservatives even said
"Well, we don't have to worry about Hitler anymore. We just bought him".

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 5th February 2021 at 04:15 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2021, 04:18 PM   #534
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
According to MTG, maybe. I don't think you can extrapolate that opinion to every member of the GOP.
Sorry, but the GOP just embraced MTG. They had a chance to if not get rid of her neutralize her and they failed because they were afraid of the Qanon wing of the party.
The GOP of Lincoln, Teddy Rossevelt, Eisenhower and, to a degree Reagen is dead. Sooner the more rational Republicans grasp that the better.
I agree that some here equate all conservatives with right wing nuts.That is wrong. But the GOP is hopeless; though I wish the Lincoln Project well.
I think a new center right party is inevirtable.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 5th February 2021, 04:46 PM   #535
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

It's certainly not unreasonable to think so when the vast majority of Republicans approve of Trump after all he's done.

A post Jan. 6 NBC poll showed 86% of Republicans approved of Trump.

A Politico/Morning Consult Poll taken post Jan. 6 showed 75% of Republicans still approved of Trump.

When so many GOP Congressmembers supported his absolutely ridiculous and outrageous lies about the election being stolen and rigged and refused to acknowledge Biden as the President-elect, don't tell me that it hasn't become the Party of Trump.
Old 5th February 2021, 04:51 PM   #536
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Congressional republicans just voted overwhelmingly to protect Trump from impeachment. (House republicans on the articles of impeachment, senate republicans on the issue of constitutionality, which is basically a cover for "let Trump get away with it".)

Among the electorate, Trump left office with > 80% approval among republican voters (and that's after he supported the terrorists).

Ok, technically there may be a small number of anti-Trump republicans, but they lack any significant influence in the party.

So yeah, the GOP does belong to Trump.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2021, 05:01 PM   #537
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Sorry, but the GOP just embraced MTG. They had a chance to if not get rid of her neutralize her and they failed because they were afraid of the Qanon wing of the party.
The GOP of Lincoln, Teddy Rossevelt, Eisenhower and, to a degree Reagen is dead. Sooner the more rational Republicans grasp that the better.
I agree that some here equate all conservatives with right wing nuts.That is wrong. But the GOP is hopeless; though I wish the Lincoln Project well.
I think a new center right party is inevirtable.
That's like Rand Paul today (or yesterday) complaining that the GOP wasn't racist. Is he clueless they supported a racist POTUS for 4 years and there aren't very many of them renouncing the racism within their ranks still.

Clearly Paul is oblivious to or in denial about the racism right in front of his face.
Old 5th February 2021, 05:36 PM   #538
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
That's like Rand Paul today (or yesterday) complaining that the GOP wasn't racist. Is he clueless they supported a racist POTUS for 4 years and there aren't very many of them renouncing the racism within their ranks still.

Clearly Paul is oblivious to or in denial about the racism right in front of his face.
It's amazing how many people are oblivious. There is a guy in another group I belong to who swears up and down he isn't racist but makes racist comments regularly such as "What has a black scientist ever done except invent peanut butter?" and "White people don't riot". That was about a week before Jan. 6. He honestly doesn't think there is systemic racism and he's a Biden supporter and can't stand Trump. I've known him for years. He just doesn't see it in his own racist statements or understand why Black anger boiled over after what happened in Ferguson or over George Floyd's death.
Old 5th February 2021, 05:38 PM   #539
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by grunion View Post
I'm wondering how long Kevin McCarthy gets away with claiming ignorance of Qanon ("can't even pronounce it".) I suspect that will now be the official response of the No-Nothing QOP.
I wonder which version of this is going to catch on. So far in the last day or so, I've heard QOP, GOPQ, GQP, Q-Publicans, and my own creation -- RepubliQunes.
Old 5th February 2021, 07:18 PM   #540
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It's amazing how many people are oblivious. There is a guy in another group I belong to who swears up and down he isn't racist but makes racist comments regularly such as "What has a black scientist ever done except invent peanut butter?" and "White people don't riot". That was about a week before Jan. 6. He honestly doesn't think there is systemic racism and he's a Biden supporter and can't stand Trump. I've known him for years. He just doesn't see it in his own racist statements or understand why Black anger boiled over after what happened in Ferguson or over George Floyd's death.
Not that you need help but ask him why he hasn't looked?

Wiki: List of African-American inventors and scientists

It's a long list.
Old 5th February 2021, 07:20 PM   #541
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Not that you need help but ask him why he hasn't looked?

Wiki: List of African-American inventors and scientists

It's a long list.
Believe me, I schooled him.
Old 5th February 2021, 07:26 PM   #542
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Well, his father befriended a group of nauseating racists, and agreed to put his name on a newsletter they published which regularly printed KKK caliber filth. Then, when people began to call him on this as he was running for president, he lied his ass off and denied he knew anything about it. So, there's that.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2021, 07:53 PM   #543
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Well, his father (Ron Paul) befriended a group of nauseating racists, and agreed to put his name on a newsletter they published which regularly printed KKK caliber filth. Then, when people began to call him on this as he was running for president, he lied his ass off and denied he knew anything about it. So, there's that.
It was worse then that. Below is a publicity photo of Ron Paul and Don Black who owns the Stormfront White Action Power Website. Stormfront and David Duke (KKK) donated to Paul's campaigns.

The other image is a tweet from Ron Paul's account that he subsequently deleted. Many extreme right wingers hide behind the "Libertarian" name.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ron Paul and Don Black.jpg (8.8 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg Ron Paul 1.jpg (24.0 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg Ron Paul 2.jpg (75.4 KB, 14 views)
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2021, 07:57 PM   #544
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Yes, I'm aware of those incidents. And, of course, Paul played dumb every time.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2021, 09:02 PM   #545
Apathia
Philosopher

Believe me, I schooled him.
I have an old friend just like that.
In the moment a list like the one cited, or any bit of factual data that puts a lie to racism, impresses him.
He'll say something like, "See, I always thought there was some hope for their betterment."
The very next day he's back asserting that blacks are genetically inferior in intelligence.

We spoken on this subject for decades, and as the proverbial dog, he always returns to his vomit.

He's known brilliant Black colleagues in his career, but to him they are exceptional outliers.

He's highly offended at being accused of racism, but he's racist to the core.
I gave up years ago trying to expand his consciousness. And in the current American malaise, he's only grown more reactionary and convinced of the "superiority" of White Culture.

I fear that America has too many dogs returning to their vomit.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2021, 09:54 PM   #546
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I wasn't.

I knew Ron Paul was an extremist libertarian, I must have been asleep for the rest.
Old 5th February 2021, 11:14 PM   #547
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator

Ron Paul is annoying, but even more annoying are his "Libertarian" followers claiming they are enlightened by reading Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations, when they have never actually read it and they have no understanding of basic economics theory. They claim that no foreign country should receive USA aid but concentrate on Israel. Stormfront forum posters specifically endorsed Ron Paul.

It is my gut feeling that Ron Paul is simply after money and that's the entire point of his pamphlets and journals.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2021, 11:18 PM   #548
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator

I wasn't.
I knew Ron Paul was an extremist libertarian, I must have been asleep for the rest.
Ron Paul also supports succession if individual states don't like the Union. .

https://www.politico.com/story/2012/...inciple-084058
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ron Paul Confederate Flag.jpg (36.9 KB, 9 views)
Old 5th February 2021, 11:29 PM   #549
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Ron Paul is annoying, but even more annoying are his "Libertarian" followers claiming they are enlightened by reading Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations, when they have never actually read it and they have no understanding of basic economics theory. They claim that no foreign country should receive USA aid but concentrate on Israel. Stormfront forum posters specifically endorsed Ron Paul.

It is my gut feeling that Ron Paul is simply after money and that's the entire point of his pamphlets and journals.
Actually, I feel he's more than sympathetic to the KKKish far right, as are all hard right "libertarians". But, yes, I agree he's been pandering to the racist survivalist types for decades. Personally, I don't think Lew Rockwell has any non-racist friends.
Old 5th February 2021, 11:36 PM   #550
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Ron Paul also supports succession if individual states don't like the Union. .

Funny how those calls for succession were in response to a black president being being re-elected. But Paul avoids any mention of the American rebellion most closely resembling that, of course.
Old 6th February 2021, 12:06 AM   #551
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Ron Paul also supports succession secession if individual states don't like the Union. .
Funny how those calls for succession secession were in response to a black president being being re-elected. But Paul avoids any mention of the American rebellion most closely resembling that, of course.
Sorry, but that's one of my pet peeves and two in one post is beyond my ability to overlook without wanting to tear my hair out.
Old 6th February 2021, 12:08 AM   #552
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I wasn't.

he isn't.
he just thinks he is.
Old 6th February 2021, 01:26 AM   #553
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Sorry, but that's one of my pet peeves and two in one post is beyond my ability to overlook without wanting to tear my hair out.
Oh, you spelling Nazi you... and darned right too!!!!
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
"Woke" is a pejorative term used by racists, bigots and homophobes to describe people who have a properly functioning moral compass!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2021, 01:29 AM   #554
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Oh, you spelling Nazi you... and darned right too!!!!
No, not spelling...it's a whole other word.
Old 6th February 2021, 02:36 AM   #555
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

No, not spelling...it's a whole other word.
I'll bet you used to get cranky with your students if they wrote "Currant Affairs"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
"Woke" is a pejorative term used by racists, bigots and homophobes to describe people who have a properly functioning moral compass!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2021, 02:46 AM   #556
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

I'll bet you used to get cranky with your students if they wrote "Currant Affairs"
Perhaps mainly because they demonstrate their racism by not writing about black currant affairs.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2021, 02:55 AM   #557
SteveAitch
Critical Thinker

Well, he had a good raisin to...

Some people call me 'strange'. I prefer 'unconventional'. But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'...
SteveAitch is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2021, 03:31 AM   #558
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Really spelling the beans, here ....
Old 6th February 2021, 03:54 AM   #559
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Only those who applauded her.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2021, 06:47 AM   #560
EvilBiker
Spectral Challenger

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I wonder which version of this is going to catch on. So far in the last day or so, I've heard QOP, GOPQ, GQP, Q-Publicans, and my own creation -- RepubliQunes.
I’ve been calling them Qunts for ages. I like to believe I coined the word, but I have my doubts.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics