IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 22nd February 2021, 03:55 AM   #361
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
And?

*mic drop*
auf dem Thron
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 04:01 AM   #362
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
*mic drop*
Clumsy. Now, pick it up and tell us why you think those R values mean that Covid-19 is killing the same numbers of people as flu.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 04:07 AM   #363
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Mod WarningIf you want to discuss the science regarding Covid please go to the correct thread in the Science section, if you wish to discuss the conspiracy theories regarding Covid there are threads in the Conspiracy Theory section.
Responding to this mod box in thread will be off topic Posted By:Darat
Old 22nd February 2021, 04:28 AM   #364
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Fact remains that the R0-value has been around 1 to 1.5 in Germany for all the time since the first "lockdown" (the numbers in the slide are "official" from the Robert-Koch-Institute, see link at the bottom).
Yes, lockdown has reduced the R0 for both Covid-19 and flu, but because R0 is so much higher for Covid 19 (and also because it hasn't always been stringent enough and/or properly enforced) lockdown hasn't always been sufficient to get R0 down below 1. It looks like it will take a combination of lockdowns and vaccines to do that.

Still not seeing your point.
Old 22nd February 2021, 05:56 AM   #365
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Yes, lockdown has reduced the R0 for both Covid-19 and flu, but because R0 is so much higher for Covid 19 (and also because it hasn't always been stringent enough and/or properly enforced) lockdown hasn't always been sufficient to get R0 down below 1. It looks like it will take a combination of lockdowns and vaccines to do that.

Still not seeing your point.
As I understand it, behaviour wouldn't have an impact on R0 on the grounds that this is the measure of how many people would be infected by a single person. It may change for a disease as a whole as variants which are more or less virulent emerge. For Covid-19 R0 is around 3

R without the 0 is the measure of the current rate of infection, anything over 1.0 is exponential spread. In the UK at the moment it's just under 1.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 06:10 AM   #366
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Yes, I got my Rs mixed up. Thanks for the correction.
Old 22nd February 2021, 07:25 AM   #367
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
The last time I went to a live performance was to a ballet on March 11th last year, like you I knew it was a risk but that it might also be the last opportunity for quite a while. I know it was almost sold out because I bought one of the few remaining tickets for my niece a few days before, but there were large numbers of empty seats. So yes, people in the UK were also voluntarily starting to take precautions a couple of weeks before the country went into lockdown.

My last visit (before the summer, when effective elimination of the virus allowed me to see another two films) was to the cinema on 12th March. I was a bit blase because the story we were being told was that at that time there was very little virus in Scotland, but I became quite spooked that evening and decided to lock myself down from the next day.

We actually had the auditorium to ourselves. When I arrived at the cinema it seemed deserted and I wondered if it was even open, but there were a couple of staff members who made welcoming gestures. The tables and chairs usually laid out for people to sit on while waiting or to eat the fast food they'd bought weren't there, and I suspect that was a move to reduce the amount of sanitising necessary. I stood there waiting for my friend, feeling as if I was a bit-player at the start of a disaster movie.

However, my friend arrived half an hour late. The reason? Caught in heavy traffic trying to get across Glasgow to the cinema, because she lives very near Ibrox football ground, where there was a very big match on, and the roads were jammed with people heading for the match. (That was one of the things that should never have gone ahead, people flew into Scotland from places with active virus circulation.)

We had a meal at a restaurant close to the cinema and although that wasn't quite as busy as usual there were a number of people there. Then back to the cinema which was still doing a good impression of the Mary Celeste. As I said, we were the only two people in the auditorium.

I never figured out whether the deserted cinema was simply due to the football match stealing the audience, or whether people had already started to avoid public gatherings. On the way home I decided basically that that was that and I wouldn't be going anywhere for a while.

It was so nice to be able to go back in the summer when the virus was almost gone, and knowing that the cinema was a big air-space and not busy it didn't seem like a risk. But we took no steps at all to prevent re-introduction and I haven't been anywhere since August.

Last edited by Rolfe; 22nd February 2021 at 09:19 AM.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 08:37 AM   #368
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Shops, hairdressers, gyms and outdoor hospitality will reopen on 12 April in England if strict conditions are met, under plans being set out by the PM.

Up to six people from separate households could be able to meet in beer gardens from that date.

The new four-step plan to ease lockdown could see all legal limits on social contact lifted by 21 June.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 09:02 AM   #369
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Here's the full plan - https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ockdown-lifted
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 09:22 AM   #370
Rolfe

This is not going to go well. I'm encouraged by the data on vaccine effectiveness, speaking as someone who had the AZ vaccine which is showing 94% effectiveness at preventing hospitalisation, but there are going to be a hell of a lot more dead people before we get out of this, at this rate.
Old 22nd February 2021, 12:05 PM   #371
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
What, not the one in Southwater?
No, Thurlow in Suffolk

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 12:24 PM   #372
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Regardless of what "I understand" (hint: you are wrong about everything) it is none of your business to decide what "I understand". BTW, it is the same symptoms and the same death toll.
The symptoms are different. And the death toll is far worse.

Even if you're talking about Germany.

excess-mortality-raw-death-count (4).jpg

excess-mortality-raw-death-count (3).jpg

excess-mortality-raw-death-count (2).jpg

excess-mortality-raw-death-count (1).jpg

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 12:50 PM   #373
Rolfe

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
No, Thurlow in Suffolk

Thank you.
Old 22nd February 2021, 04:14 PM   #374
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

SAGE Minutes just published

• 3rd Wave likely if restrictions lifted too quickly

• Schools opening will increase R rate 10-50%

• It’s clear therefore that 8th March too soon to open all schools.

Source: https://assets.publishing.service.go...79_Minutes.pdf
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 05:12 PM   #375
steenkh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Looks just like a normal flu year to me

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 05:38 PM   #376
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
SAGE Minutes just published

• 3rd Wave likely if restrictions lifted too quickly

• Schools opening will increase R rate 10-50%

• It’s clear therefore that 8th March too soon to open all schools.

Source: https://assets.publishing.service.go...79_Minutes.pdf
All well and good, but I note they don’t say opening too early will decrease the N*rate

*N rate is number of good headlines generated by announcements that ignores expert advice.
Old 23rd February 2021, 03:24 AM   #377
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Can anyone explain the reason the government keeps referring to "a roadmap" instead of just calling it a map?
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 03:27 AM   #378
Airfix
Graduate Poster

Or a plan.

As much as I hate the restrictions, they're absolutely necessary, when enough people have been vaccinated, ease them off and lets hope that'll be the end of it.

But people are still dying,
People are still being infected.

We need to be vigilant.

Even vaccinated people can sometimes catch and suffer from the virus.

Anyway, remember the Covid fiasco come the 2024 election and punish the Tories.
Airfix is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 03:54 AM   #379
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Doesn't "roadmap" imply a destination, in this usage at least?
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 04:29 AM   #380
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Thank you.
NP Yours is still safe to visit (well, "Safe from running into Matt Hancock" anyway!)

P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 04:30 AM   #381
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Can anyone explain the reason the government keeps referring to "a roadmap" instead of just calling it a map?
It's cargo cult terminology from technology industries

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 04:32 AM   #382
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Filippo Lippi View Post
I don't see why, as opposed to any other kind of map? It isn't something I'd previously thought about but TBH if you ask me the difference between a road map & a map I'd say a restricted level of detail.

Old 23rd February 2021, 05:59 AM   #383
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Interesting BBC article about the lifting of Covid restrictions, specifically why it would be rash to lift them too quickly.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56153618

The things that interested me were that lifting restrictions too quickly may promote the spread of immune strains of the virus:

Quote:
In the future, when the population has a lot of immunity, mutations that can evade some of the immune response will be in a stronger position to spread.
There are still, sadly, a lot more deaths still to come:

Quote:
Modelling carried out for the government by Imperial College London has looked at what would happen if there was a quick unlocking.

It suggested if restrictions were lifted by the end of April, there could be a surge in deaths in the coming months.

And by next summer another 80,000 Covid fatalities could be seen
That would bring the UK death toll to around 200,000 - around 10 times the number being put around last year as an "acceptable" number.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 08:15 AM   #384
Rolfe

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
NP Yours is still safe to visit (well, "Safe from running into Matt Hancock" anyway!)

I moved away from there in 2006, but it was my "local" for 18 years before that.
Old 23rd February 2021, 09:25 AM   #385
steenkh
Philosopher

Isn’t the destination the state of the world as it was before the pandemic?

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 09:35 AM   #386
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
Isn’t the destination the state of the world as it was before the pandemic?
Don't say that, we don't want Trump back.
Old 23rd February 2021, 11:24 AM   #387
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Fact remains that the R0-value has been around 1 to 1.5 in Germany for all the time since the first "lockdown" (the numbers in the slide are "official" from the Robert-Koch-Institute, see link at the bottom).
Not sure why you lie so transparently.
Not sure, which link and which slide you are talking about, but here is detailed data on new infections and R-value (not R0! Learn the difference! Makes you look as if you have not yet been schooled on the absolute basics of epidemiology!):
https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/...owcasting.html
Klick the first link there, gives you a protected Excel spreadsheet. You can unprotect it and convert to numbers.
Between March 21 and July 07, for 109 days after the lockdown, the R-value averaged 0.92, the median 0.88, and was above 1.0 on only 17 out of those 109 days.

It then averaged 1.1 for another 84 days (until September ), values between min 0.85 and max 1.5, median 1.105. Which may have an explanation in eased lockdown measures.

And then, in October, without lockdown, and coinciding with the onset of the cooler half of the year, it went up markedly: Until October 30 (31 days), average 1.32, median 1.33, min 1.07, max 1.55.

Then the country reacted. November (Oct. 31 to Nov 30, 31 days) had an average of 0.99, median 0.99, min 0.84, max 1.16.

December: Strict lockdown. Mean 1.02, median 1.05, min 0.79, max 1.31

Since then (Jan, through Feb 19 in my download, 50 days), we had mean 0.94, median 0.93, min 0.78, max 1.21. Despite winter weather, the typical high seasons for flu-like diseases, incident rates came down.

Almost as if the lockdowns actually work!

Even the spike in June has a clear explanation: It was an apparent break-out at the meat-processing factory Tönnies ...
Yes, indeed, when numbers are generally very low because lockdown worked well, a single event can spoil an otherwise great curve. Several hundred workers there equaled about the total in the entire rest of the country then

that later turned out to be quite suspicious (retested workers were negative).
In which case we could remove the spike from the data set, improving the mean R-value to a value even farther below 1. Right?
But I see you assert without argument, so we best dismiss without argument. Who would trust a person anyway that misrepresented data so egregiously in the rest of the post?
Old 23rd February 2021, 12:21 PM   #388
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
Who would trust a person anyway that misrepresented data so egregiously in the rest of the post?

You just babbled alot about my data actually being right.
auf dem Thron
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 12:55 PM   #389
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

If you had ever worked in science like I did and you haven't, Oystein, you would know that we speak on the save side of an argument. Values under one are on my side of the argument, and making claims on the two digit side beyond the point is failing to understand the point.
auf dem Thron

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 23rd February 2021 at 12:59 PM.
Old 23rd February 2021, 02:43 PM   #390
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

In other words. 0.78 to 1.55 is the same hallmark as 1 to 1.5, for the sake of the argument. My professors would have kicked you out of the class for such a failure of grasping the point.
auf dem Thron
Old 23rd February 2021, 02:48 PM   #391
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

In other words. 0.78 to 1.55 is the same hallmark as 1 to 1.5, for the sake of the argument. My professors would have kicked you out of the class for such a failure of grasping the point.
I still don’t know the point you’re trying to make. Could you state it plainly?
Old 23rd February 2021, 02:52 PM   #392
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Point being no exponential growth, neither before the "lockdown" nor after it.
auf dem Thron
Old 23rd February 2021, 04:25 PM   #393
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Isn’t R at 1.5 exponential growth?
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 04:34 PM   #394
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Point being no exponential growth, neither before the "lockdown" nor after it.
Which, if it were true, would prove what?
Old 23rd February 2021, 04:46 PM   #395
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Which, if it were true, would prove what?

No "pandemic".
auf dem Thron
Old 23rd February 2021, 11:45 PM   #396
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Isn’t R at 1.5 exponential growth?
Anything over 1.0 is AIUI
Old 24th February 2021, 03:20 AM   #397
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
A firm is being investigated by the UK medical regulator after it was awarded a £30m contract during the pandemic.

Alex Bourne - who used to run a pub near Matt Hancock's old constituency home in West Suffolk - made vials for Covid testing through his firm Hinpack, which had no history of medical goods.

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has confirmed it is now investigating the company.

The MHRA said it took "all reports of non-compliance very seriously".

Mr Bourne had offered his services to the government via a personal WhatsApp message to the health secretary, saying they had known each other for years.

Lawyers for Mr Bourne told the Guardian the test tubes that Hinpack manufactures are "by no means complicated and are well within our client's existing skillset".

They also said the MHRA had previously approved and inspected Hinpack's products and working practices, and allegations being reported against them were "untrue".

Asked about it at a Downing Street press conference in December, Mr Hancock said: "I had absolutely nothing to do with that contract."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56145492
So the Tories give lucrative contracts to their chums? <fx faints>

Do bears **** in the woods?

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2021, 03:23 AM   #398
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Regardless of what "I understand" (hint: you are wrong about everything) it is none of your business to decide what "I understand". BTW, it is the same symptoms and the same death toll.
Stop talking rubbish! Covid19 attacks blood vessels. It causes 'glass lung' syndrome.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2021, 03:27 AM   #399
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps it alludes to Barnard Castle.

I'll get my coat.

Old 24th February 2021, 03:30 AM   #400
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

This makes me really cross. The greedy swines at AstraZeneca desperate to get the contract, misled the EU into believing it could supply the levels of vaccines it wanted:

Quote:
AstraZeneca has told the European Union it expects to deliver less than half the Covid-19 vaccines it was contracted to supply in the second quarter, an EU official told Reuters on Tuesday.

Contacted by Reuters, AstraZeneca did not deny what the official said, but a statement late in the day said the company was striving to increase productivity to deliver the promised 180m doses.

The expected shortfall, which has not previously been reported, follows a big reduction in supplies in the first quarter and could hit the EU’s ability to meet its target of vaccinating 70% of adults by summer.

The EU official, who is directly involved in talks with the Anglo-Swedish drugmaker, said the company had told the bloc during internal meetings that it “would deliver less than 90m doses in the second quarter”.

AstraZeneca’s contract with the EU, which was leaked last week, showed the company had committed to delivering 180m doses to the 27-nation bloc in the second quarter.
GUARDIAN

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics