IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags CT humor

Old 2nd December 2021, 08:41 AM   #1
Pacal
Graduate Poster

GNIS Search

Since the Media Manipulation Thread is closed I will leave the results of a search I did here.

I went to the GNIS, (Geographic Names Information System), (Here https://edits.nationalmap.gov/apps/g...c/search/names), to search for geographic features in Alaska named Lethbridge. I didn't find any in my search and in fact I didn't find any in the USA at all.

Of course I may have missed something. So I will let other people have at it.
Pacal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2021, 10:44 AM   #2
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
There is no Lethbridge, Alaska: everyone but Bubba accepts this.
Bubba also tried to wriggle out by claiming it could be 'a lethbridge', and hoping that would be some kind of general geographical term for 'a bay or something'.
Nope.
If it's in capitals, then that's the name of a specific place, not of a general place.
Utter failure. Even if there actualy was a Lethbridge, Alaska, it would still make absolutely no difference. The whole idea is crackpot nonsense, and unworthy of further discussion.
(Unless Bubba continues to try to defend it, in which case it gains entertainment value ).
Old 3rd December 2021, 07:41 PM   #3
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Embarrassing, even for that poster

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2021, 08:06 PM   #4
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I guess I missed what this is about, but you have to give credit where credit is due. There is an Alaska.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2021, 10:31 PM   #5
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
There is an Alaska.
....are we totally sure about that? I mean a certain poster who is wrong about almost everything seems to think it exists .... doesn't that mean it doesn't?
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2021, 10:37 PM   #6
stanfr
Graduate Poster

I guess I missed what this is about, but you have to give credit where credit is due. There is an Alaska.
It's Alyeska, not 'Alaska' Get with the program!
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2021, 09:05 AM   #7
Pacal
Graduate Poster

Bubba has part of his conspiracy thinking alleged that there was a Lethbridge in Alaska. When told that so such town or village seemed to exist he then stated it could be a some sort of geographic feature. Using the GNIS I was not able to find any such feature in Alaska or even in the USA.
Pacal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2021, 09:41 AM   #8
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

This pretty much sums it up in one post.

Bubba claimed that the Rulers of the Earth have historically amused themselves by naming places that geographically line up with other places of like name. So names like Perth, or Lethbridge lining up proves that they're in charge of everything. Bubba's problem is that the alignments don't work, even when the places named actually exist, proving he hasn't even bothered to check, and has credulously accepted false claims as true. He tried to change map projections, but that still didn't help. He made obtuse references to navigators using "flat earth maps", and refused to answer questions about whether or not he believed the earth to be flat. And he even tried to line up the names of places that don't exist, all the while referencing an unnamed "guy" whom he's refused to identify, but is assuredly really good at this stuff.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2021, 10:58 AM   #9
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Ah, Lethbridge is probably on the bottom, accessed by secret passages, accessed only by possessors of the secret code.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2021, 11:10 AM   #10
sackett
Philosopher

If you're interested in fairness, draw a line between Lima, Peru and Lima in Ohio in the USA. Then draw a line from there to, say, Great Zimbabwe n then back to Peru. What do you get? That's right, a TRIANGLE! Symbolism, anybody? Mystic shapes? The Bilderburgs laughing their guts out at us? Huh?

I rest Bubba's case.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2021, 11:46 AM   #11
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

The conspiracy theory seems to have one further detail; the imaginary alignments are claimed to occur on lines which pass through Jerusalem. One suspects this is to indicate that these entirely fabricated alignments would be the work of the you-know-who's, if only they existed.

(The lines, I mean. Not the Jews. They exist, I'm pretty sure.)

Last edited by Jack by the hedge; 4th December 2021 at 11:47 AM.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2021, 12:10 PM   #12
Bubba
Philosopher

Slam dunk examples are out there.

Be patient girls
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2021, 12:20 PM   #13
Bubba
Philosopher

Quote:
There is no Lethbridge, Alaska: everyone but Bubba accepts this.

Not quite right

At one point I said I have not checked it, maybe the guy is wrong about Alaska.

But have it your way if you prefer.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2021, 12:23 PM   #14
Bubba
Philosopher

Quote:
Bubba claimed that the Rulers of the Earth have historically amused themselves by naming places that geographically line up with other places of like name.

Right.

...and what would it matter?

Suppose it were confirmed to be so....would Y'all be informed, and if so how?

Why is it as interesting to you all, as it seems to be? What are the ramifications?
Old 4th December 2021, 12:24 PM   #15
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post

Be patient girls
What slam dunk where? Patience for what? It should be trivially easy to provide evidence for Lethbridge as a city in Alaska, or as a geographical feature.

Meanwhile, we're still waiting for (snicker) Q, the (snort) Kraken, (guffaw) Donny Depends remaining/returning as president, among others.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2021, 12:27 PM   #16
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Why is it as interesting to you all, as it seems to be? What are the ramifications?
It's interesting that you are wrong/misinformed/delusional about yet another thing; the ramifications are towards your dismal reliability/credibility.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Old 4th December 2021, 12:49 PM   #17
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Kudos for doing the research, but ... is this interesting at all? I can give a 90% certain estimate of the credibility of ... uh, certain posters' claims, without doing any research at all.

Hans
Old 4th December 2021, 12:54 PM   #18
Bubba
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pacal View Post
Bubba has part of his conspiracy thinking alleged that there was a Lethbridge in Alaska. When told that so such town or village seemed to exist he then stated it could be a some sort of geographic feature. Using the GNIS I was not able to find any such feature in Alaska or even in the USA.

Good work, thanks. I had no interest in looking myself as I was only repeating what I was told ie that it was 'a Lethbridge' in Alaska and not near the line anyway (his raw data, I assumed). Plus I know my awesome associates are often happy to do the legwork.

Is there a way to look up fixed monuments like statues? I'm not saying this is the case, btw, ....with Alaska.

Last edited by Bubba; 4th December 2021 at 01:14 PM.
Old 4th December 2021, 02:25 PM   #19
Hans
Philosopher

To solve the 'Lethbridge' name shortage in America I have sent an email to my city council and in partially the lawyer dude in charge of zoning and naming things. I have suggested that some newly annexed farm land that is being moved from agriculture zoning to become a dog park be named 'Lethbridge'. Its currently name is 'lot 1002a NEE associated with 'East Main street'. It will be about one and half years before a decision gets made based on prior examples.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2021, 02:42 PM   #20
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

An interesting walkback here, isn't it? Basically, it seems to go "I linked to something I thought important, but after finding it's untrue, I disavow any suggestion that I thought it important; but if it had been true, it would be true, and wouldn't you be sorry."

Without actually trying it, I am guessing that if you draw a line across the earth, you will find that it intersects a number of places, and if you are flexible enough to consider that the names Perth and Lethbridge have something significantly in common, and if you simply discard all the lines that did not work, you will find one that works. Ta-daaa! Important magic is seen.

Start in Jerusalem and radiate lines out. Any bets?

Old 4th December 2021, 03:01 PM   #21
Bubba
Philosopher

Serious question

Why are you guys even interested in this topic even one little iota, besides it is another opportunity to bash me...?

Last edited by Bubba; 4th December 2021 at 04:32 PM.
Old 4th December 2021, 07:59 PM   #22
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Oh, sure they are. Just another ten to fifteen years and you'll go from having humiliated yourself to humiliating us. We'll see then. "The guy" will finally get back to you with tons of irrefutable proof.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2021, 08:12 PM   #23
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Right.

...and what would it matter?

Suppose it were confirmed to be so....would Y'all be informed, and if so how?

You're being deliberately obtuse. The whole point is that you have made specific claims that have been unequivocally demonstrated to be false. You calling others "pseudo-skeptics" and claiming to have the Truth© is nicely put into perspective by that fact.
Old 4th December 2021, 08:20 PM   #24
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

I was only repeating what I was told...
Also Bubba.
Originally Posted by Bubba
Sounds like you accept "authority" and probably rely on it. Pseudo skeptics are known for that.

I accept no one as authority.
Old 4th December 2021, 08:36 PM   #25
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Also Bubba.
That poster claims he accepts no one as authority but it is clear he is continually gulled by the propaganda he consumes.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Old 4th December 2021, 11:09 PM   #26
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
There is absolutely a Lethbridge in Al...

...berta, Canada.

Disavow any knowledge of my twitter here.
gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2021, 11:30 PM   #27
Bubba
Philosopher

You're being deliberately obtuse.

No, not deliberate anything . I simply wanna know what it would tell you about "the Rulers of the Earth" (your term) if it were confirmed.

Would it be like 'Oh, they do exist after all' ? What remarks would you make if you saw it is a real thing, practiced by whomever they are. BTW the guy said the French had their own version

I assume that means like the Brits, and in the same era.
Old 4th December 2021, 11:51 PM   #28
RolandRat
Graduate Poster

Is this a similar claim to the one that says certain monuments/buildings in certain cities are placed so you can draw a triangle between them?

The monuments/buildings are carefully selected by the person making the claim with the conclusion in mind, of course.
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2021, 11:52 PM   #29
RolandRat
Graduate Poster

It's about time someone recognised the true rulers of this planet.
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2021, 02:21 AM   #30
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Could someone who is not Bubba give me the BLUF on this one please? I expect to find in this sub forum lines connecting dots that aren't actually connected but I'm kind of lost on this one. The screams of the tortured logic hear are drowning out any understanding of the topic.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2021, 02:48 AM   #31
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
This pretty much sums it up in one post.

Bubba claimed that the Rulers of the Earth have historically amused themselves by naming places that geographically line up with other places of like name. So names like Perth, or Lethbridge lining up proves that they're in charge of everything. Bubba's problem is that the alignments don't work, even when the places named actually exist, proving he hasn't even bothered to check, and has credulously accepted false claims as true. He tried to change map projections, but that still didn't help. He made obtuse references to navigators using "flat earth maps", and refused to answer questions about whether or not he believed the earth to be flat. And he even tried to line up the names of places that don't exist, all the while referencing an unnamed "guy" whom he's refused to identify, but is assuredly really good at this stuff.
This was back in July. Bubba's first example of this supposedly amazing discovery was the Perth one. When that was shown to be obviously and provably untrue, he promised he'd be back with a better example.
We got the Lethbridges, which turned out to be an even worse example- at least the Perths actually existed.
Bubba- you did say back then that would would contact the author of these claims.
Have you done so?
Old 5th December 2021, 02:59 AM   #32
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Be patient girls
When has this ever worked?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2021, 03:16 AM   #33
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

No, not deliberate anything . I simply wanna know what it would tell you about "the Rulers of the Earth" (your term) if it were confirmed.

Would it be like 'Oh, they do exist after all' ? What remarks would you make if you saw it is a real thing, practiced by whomever they are. BTW the guy said the French had their own version

The silly old "What would you say if I were right?" question.

What would you say if pigs could fly?

Hans
Old 5th December 2021, 07:42 AM   #34
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
The silly old "What would you say if I were right?" question.

What would you say if pigs could fly?

Hans
If pigs could fly, perhaps they could spot Lethbridge from the air. Then watch out, you pseudoschleps.

By the way, if I draw a line between my town in Vermont and one in Arizona that has the same name, not only does it refer back to a cataclysmic cinematic event in which the last survivors are seen surfing toward the ruined earth (bonus points for the reference), but the midpoint (with a little latitude in measurement) is Indianapolis, proving, I contend, that Mike Pence is the devil incarnate. It's right there on paper!

Old 5th December 2021, 07:51 AM   #35
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Ah, Lethbridge is probably on the bottom, accessed by secret passages, accessed only by possessors of the secret code.
Nope. It is the code name for the basement of a pizza place in Anchorage. Somebody told me that.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2021, 08:01 AM   #36
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Mod WarningThe previous thread was closed for exactly the same reasons this one is going to closed if it doesn't get back on track i.e. personalisation and an inability to stick to a topic. The topic in this thread is what is raised in the opening post. Do not attempt to raise other CTs in this thread. Stalybridge
Responding to this mod box in thread will be off topic Posted By:Darat
Old 5th December 2021, 10:19 AM   #37
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

What would it tell me if the earth turned out to really be flat? What would it tell me if Elizabeth II turned out to actually be a shape-shifting alien reptile hybrid? What would it mean if Donald J. Trump turned out to actually be the second coming of Jesus?

Quote:
Would it be like 'Oh, they do exist after all' ? What remarks would you make if you saw it is a real thing, practiced by whomever they are.
We'll get to that when you reward our patience with actual slam-dunk proof that any of this nonsense is real. Until then it's just like psychic powers and haunted houses, except that you've made concrete predictions that we can plainly see are false.

Quote:
BTW the guy said the French had their own version
So "the guy", who is your authority on this, says that the French have another version. Does that mean they have their own system of aligned place names that you haven't shown us, or a contradictory system of alignments.

And who is "the guy", Bubba? Do you even know his name? Does he even exist?

Quote:
Adding more actors that you haven't presented any evidence for doesn't strengthen a nonexistent argument.

Last edited by Foster Zygote; 5th December 2021 at 10:20 AM.
Old 5th December 2021, 10:38 AM   #38
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Since it's been demonstrated by multiple posters (including myself) that there is no Lethbridge AK, and it has never been established that a Lethbridge is a geographical feature of some sort, this thread is dead unless or until "the guy" speaks to the poster who made the above assertions.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Old 5th December 2021, 10:59 AM   #39
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Since it's been demonstrated by multiple posters (including myself) that there is no Lethbridge AK, and it has never been established that a Lethbridge is a geographical feature of some sort, this thread is dead unless or until "the guy" speaks to the poster who made the above assertions.
I guess we'll just have to be patient.
Old 5th December 2021, 11:34 AM   #40
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
It being Sunday and me being bored, I idly investigoogled the Lethbridge thingy. Not that there is much to work with beyond some unidentified guy. Put that in google and see what happens, LOL. Amusingly, there is a Martyn Lethbridge who is an anesthetist and lives in Perth, AU and a Lefty Lethbridge who is a telecoms manager in Perth, AU.

Easy to join the dots when one can simply make up the dots.

Anyhoo, I did get a lead on the lines on a map nonsense. It appears to originate from a French Canadian crackpot, which explains Bubba's French connection. Not giving any more right now since I am not sure this is "the guy" yet. Not going to hurry either, since the whole notion is trivially daft.

Of course, Bubba could simply provide a reference, but he wont. Likely because he knows that logic and reason would descend on the notion like a ton of bricks in short order.

What is getting under my skin about this is the simple fact that I know I have happened across this crackpot idea before, over 30 years ago. It was a nonsense idea then and it remains a nonsense idea now. It might have been the whole ley lines craziness or something related.

I will come back to it next time I am bored, but I wouldn't hold your collective breath. It does not rank high on the priority list.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories