IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st November 2021, 01:56 PM   #1
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

AP News: "Let's go, Brandon" is really code for "**** Joe Biden"

Investigative journalism coming through for you:

https://apnews.com/article/lets-go-b...a3dba07756a160
Old 1st November 2021, 01:59 PM   #2
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

Quote:
It started at an Oct. 2 NASCAR race at the Talladega Superspeedway in Alabama. Brandon Brown, a 28-year-old driver, had won his first Xfinity Series and was being interviewed by an NBC Sports reporter. The crowd behind him was chanting something at first difficult to make out. The reporter suggested they were chanting “Let’s go, Brandon” to cheer the driver. But it became increasingly clear they were saying: “F—- Joe Biden.”
To be clear: are you trying to imply here that the above-related incident mentioned in that article, which was broadcast on national television, actually did not happen at all; or are you claiming that people using that phrase as a meme are intending something different by it? If so, what do you think they are trying to express instead?
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2021, 02:11 PM   #3
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
To be clear: are you trying to imply here that the above-related incident mentioned in that article, which was broadcast on national television, actually did not happen at all; or are you claiming that people using that phrase as a meme are intending something different by it? If so, what do you think they are trying to express instead?
Well your first two guesses are way off. Would you like a third?
Old 1st November 2021, 02:13 PM   #4
Warp12
Master Poster

I find it moderately humorous. The initial event was pretty darn hilarious.
Old 1st November 2021, 02:14 PM   #5
Checkmite

Well your first two guesses are way off. Would you like a third?
You could save me the trouble by being forthright.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2021, 02:21 PM   #6
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Fair enough. I just think it's funny that the AP decided to run a whole-ass article explaining this. Also the speed with which the catchphrase caught on, and the degree to which it spread, has been interesting to watch in action.
Old 1st November 2021, 02:30 PM   #7
gregthehammer
Muse

Fair enough. I just think it's funny that the AP decided to run a whole-ass article explaining this. Also the speed with which the catchphrase caught on, and the degree to which it spread, has been interesting to watch in action.
In other words, the AP is going for the "No **** sherlock" award for investigative journalism
gregthehammer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2021, 02:35 PM   #8
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Huh. I see these signs all the time in the redneck area of NoCal where I live.

Now I know what stupid ass thing it is this month. Gosh darn, these fellas are clever.
Old 1st November 2021, 02:49 PM   #9
Checkmite

Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
In other words, the AP is going for the "No **** sherlock" award for investigative journalism
If you use or like the meme, it is of course obvious to you where it came from and what it means.

The rest of the world that doesn't watch NASCAR or obsessively follow right-wing media (i.e., most of the world) will not necessarily intuit how one is supposed to get "f-word Joe Biden" out of "let's go Brandon"; so the article does a service by providing that context.

Ordinarily the alt-right meme-of-the-month doesn't merit an AP article; but since high-ranking national Republican leaders have begun using this one, it is causing some confusion among people who aren't aware of its origin.
Old 1st November 2021, 02:55 PM   #10
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
Huh. I see these signs all the time in the redneck area of NoCal where I live.

Now I know what stupid ass thing it is this month. Gosh darn, these fellas are clever.
You should read the article. The catchphrase was actually a quick-thinking ad lib by a TV reporter doing a live interview, with a crowd in the background shouting "**** Joe Biden!" Luckily, her interview subject was named Brandon, and she was able to come up with this alternative on the spot. I want to say that within a couple days of the interview airing, the catchphrase had taken root.
Old 1st November 2021, 03:10 PM   #11
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Hadn't heard the phrase, nor watch NASCAR. Does seem a little gossipy for the AP to cover right wing trolling, tho.

What's with the Biden F-off, anyway? He doesn't seem nearly so divisive as a lot of figures on the public stage. Kind of dull, if anything. Is it more a reflexive thing against a Democrat or do they have an actual specific beef?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2021, 03:11 PM   #12
Warp12
Master Poster

This is hardly fringe; look at the amount of merch on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=let%27s+g...f=nb_sb_noss_1
Old 1st November 2021, 03:25 PM   #13
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Childish.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2021, 03:26 PM   #14
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

If you use or like the meme, it is of course obvious to you where it came from and what it means.

The rest of the world that doesn't watch NASCAR or obsessively follow right-wing media (i.e., most of the world) will not necessarily intuit how one is supposed to get "f-word Joe Biden" out of "let's go Brandon"; so the article does a service by providing that context.

Ordinarily the alt-right meme-of-the-month doesn't merit an AP article; but since high-ranking national Republican leaders have begun using this one, it is causing some confusion among people who aren't aware of its origin.
Indeed. Tickles me funny bone, tho. Playground smarts, pinnacle of GOP cleverness, and dumb enough to feel pride and boast about it. Next thing you know, "Got me a load in me knickers!" or "Lonely times without Mommy" will be megahits.
Old 1st November 2021, 03:36 PM   #15
Checkmite

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Is it more a reflexive thing against a Democrat or do they have an actual specific beef?
Just a Democrat. Perhaps a little more emotive for some of them because he's specifically the Democrat who beat Trump; but otherwise, they would be devising similar taunts for any Democrat in any other context.
Old 1st November 2021, 03:53 PM   #16
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Conservatives do know they can just say "**** Joe Biden", right? Nobody is going to stop them from saying naughty words.
Old 1st November 2021, 03:57 PM   #17
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Conservatives do know they can just say "**** Joe Biden", right? Nobody is going to stop them from saying naughty words.
That's what makes it so funny.

They were saying naughty words just fine, and the TV reporter felt the need to pretend it was something else. It just snowballed from there.
Old 1st November 2021, 03:58 PM   #18
d4m10n
Philosopher

Well someone had to explain why my in-laws are suddenly so excited about Brandon.
Old 1st November 2021, 04:19 PM   #19
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I for one like to know how a current meme started. Except maybe for that "Velma Trending on Halloween" one yesterday on Twitter. That one was... eye-opening, among other things.
Old 1st November 2021, 04:21 PM   #20
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Just a Democrat. Perhaps a little more emotive for some of them because he's specifically the Democrat who beat stole the presidency from Trump; but otherwise, they would be devising similar taunts for any Democrat in any other context.

FTFY

Old 1st November 2021, 04:44 PM   #21
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
FTFY
Haha you fixed the wrong part.
Old 1st November 2021, 04:50 PM   #22
Warp12
Master Poster

I love how on this forum, of all places, some people are criticizing conservatives for their juvenile political humor. Too rich.

Old 1st November 2021, 04:55 PM   #23
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I admit this catchphrase annoys me immensely because those who write it more often than not omit the comma. Politics may be a big deal to many people, but it will never be more important than proper punctuation!
Old 1st November 2021, 05:07 PM   #24
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I admit this catchphrase annoys me immensely because those who write it more often than not omit the comma. Politics may be a big deal to many people, but it will never be more important than proper punctuation!
I go back and forth on the comma. Technically, it's correct. But it affects the cadence. Overall I think the cadence is probably more important than technically correct punctuation.
Old 1st November 2021, 05:09 PM   #25
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
I love how on this forum, of all places, some people are criticizing conservatives for their juvenile political humor. Too rich.
IKR
Old 1st November 2021, 05:23 PM   #26
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

He should appoint someone to a prominent cabinet position named Brandon, just to troll back.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2021, 06:08 PM   #27
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
He should appoint someone to a prominent cabinet position named Brandon, just to troll back.
Seems like that would just backfire. Would be a dirty thing to do to poor Brandon, too.
Old 1st November 2021, 06:15 PM   #28
mgidm86
Philosopher

So that's what the Brandon thing is all about. What a letdown.

Stop feeding the trolls PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2021, 06:22 PM   #29
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Overall I think the cadence is probably more important than technically correct punctuation.
The worst political opinion ever posted to these forums!
Old 1st November 2021, 06:38 PM   #30
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Dream on!
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2021, 06:50 PM   #31
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

I wasn't too big on the "******* Joe Biden" chants that were happening at all of the football games, but after the NASCAR event and the morph into "Let's Go Brandon" I'm starting to enjoy it a bit more. I recently saw the video where a Southwest Airlines pilot used "Let's go Brandon" over the in-flight PA system, and I've also heard the phrase "Brandon Administration" used a few times. Good stuff.
Old 1st November 2021, 06:56 PM   #32
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Airline pilots expressing personal political opinions to a captive audience of passengers is not "good stuff".
Old 1st November 2021, 07:11 PM   #33
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

That's what makes it so funny.

They were saying naughty words just fine, and the TV reporter felt the need to pretend it was something else. It just snowballed from there.
Well sure, I get that. It's pretty funny that some newscaster had to think on their feet to avoid addressing profanity on live TV.

First I thought it was pretty dumb, but the way that libs are getting absolutely bent out of shape over it is making it funny all over again.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 1st November 2021 at 07:12 PM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2021, 07:12 PM   #34
Venom
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post

Mostly because the juvenile behavior of the former occupant (who still has incredible support from the Republican base) provoked juvenile political shots. That simple.

Don't count on any of the low-IQ knuckleheads saying **** Joe Biden to be mad at him over anything substantive. They were saying that as soon as he was chosen to run against their Dear Leader.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2021, 08:11 PM   #35
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

The phrase itself is pretty trivial. But the fact that it happened in the first place, and has spread to some extent since then, is a demonstration of what's wrong with this country and why it's doomed.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2021, 08:13 PM   #36
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
That's because what the hicks are actually saying is "Let's go brandin'!"
Old 1st November 2021, 11:13 PM   #37
angrysoba
Philosophile

LOL!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brandon.jpg (28.8 KB, 23 views)
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2021, 11:42 PM   #38
Cain
Straussian

I learned about this on Oct. 5th (a right-wing friend shared and 'splained). Humans like in-jokes, and this was sorta funny, but now it's jumped the shark. At this point, it's like people repeating a catch-phrase from a Super Bowl beer commercial. It's embarrassing.

ETA: It's also silly that people on Twitter threatened to boycott Southwest if the dumb pilot wasn't fired.
Diablo: You're a lousy bigot. Apologise and withdraw that remark.
Cain: Nah.

Last edited by Cain; 1st November 2021 at 11:43 PM.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2021, 06:46 AM   #39
plague311
Great minds think...

As far as the quality of right-wing jokes\memes go, this is about the best I think we'll ever see.

Is there anyone else that even makes jokes on the right? Dennis Miller? Tim Allen?

I do get kind of a kick out of the hypocrisy. The same people cheering this on, at least in my atmosphere, were the same people livid, absolutely LIVID that people were talking trash about Trump. The amount of times I heard "you should respect the office, not the man" was agonizing. Seems that no longer applies. At least political hypocrisy will never die out.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2021, 06:48 AM   #40
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

I thought this had been floating around for a while now. I mean, they have t-shirts for the rubes.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics