IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 7th July 2021, 08:00 AM   #521
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Debated whether this should go under the Trump or Biden threads... but given the history it probably belongs here...

The Department of Defense announced Tuesday it’s calling off the $10 billion cloud contract that was the subject of a legal battle involving Amazon and Microsoft.....The JEDI, or Joint Enterprise Defense Infrastructure, deal has become one of the most tangled contracts for the Department of Defense.... The Pentagon said in the press release that it still needs enterprise-scale cloud capability...it plans to solicit proposals from both Amazon and Microsoft.
Microsoft was awarded the cloud computing contract in 2019...Amazon’s cloud computing unit filed a lawsuit....(arguing Trump) bias against Amazon and its CEO, Jeff Bezos, influenced the Pentagon...the Pentagon’s inspector general released a report saying that the award did not appear to be influenced...However, the inspector general noted...it had limited cooperation from White House officials.

So, I guess its an open question... was it a case where the needs of the pentagon changed? or was this a case of them wanting to 'correct' a forced mistake due to the influence of Stubby McBonespurs?

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot

Last edited by Segnosaur; 7th July 2021 at 08:02 AM.
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2021, 08:14 AM   #522
dmaker
Graduate Poster

I'm watching Trump's announcement on his lawsuit against Twitter, Facebook and Google.

Wow, he really is pretending he's still the President. The location (not sure where) is made up to look like the White House. He is introduced, and referred to, as the President. Not former, but the President.

This is insane.

If you can stomach it, here's a link:

https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1djGXqqVkydJZ

Last edited by dmaker; 7th July 2021 at 08:16 AM.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2021, 08:16 AM   #523
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by dmaker View Post
I'm watching Trump's announcement on his lawsuit against Twitter, Facebook and Google.

Wow, he really is pretending he's still the President. The location (not sure where) is made up to look like the White House. He is introduced, and referred to, as the President. Not former, but the President.

This is insane.

If you can stomach it, here's a link:

https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1djGXqqVkydJZ
To be fair, all previous Presidents are still called "mister President". It's stupid, but that's how they do it down there.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2021, 08:19 AM   #524
dmaker
Graduate Poster

I get the Mister President thing, but it feels different than The President, imo.

Perhaps it's a nuance with no significance.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2021, 08:23 AM   #525
Belz...
Fiend God

Maybe you're right. I didn't watch the video because I can't stand to listen to that asshat speak.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2021, 10:10 AM   #526
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Maybe you're right. I didn't watch the video because I can't stand to listen to that asshat speak.
I wasted about 5 seconds on him.
Old 7th July 2021, 10:11 AM   #527
Belz...
Fiend God

That's way too much.

Old 7th July 2021, 11:39 AM   #528
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I'm actually finding the RSBN video rather interesting...not Trump...the reporter. He is referring to Trump as if he is the president which is a calculated move. The reporter is pushing the right wing conspiracies as if they are fact including how the America First Policy Institute is fighting "radical agendas" like Critical Race theory being jammed down the throats of many school boards". Of course, that is a lie. He also said the "job numbers are not going up like they should" implying the economy is not doing well. In truth, employers are finding it hard to fill job vacancies there are so many out there. He's claiming that the immigration policy is detrimental to the education of our children because these immigrant kids are basically overcrowding classrooms and again implying that drugs and crime are related to immigration because most drugs come from south of the border. That's about all I could stand of listening to the reporter repeat so many Trumpist extremist conspiracies and lies. He also attacked a couple of other media covering the event (ironically) claiming that these news organization made their career out of "trolling the President and presenting misinformation". And that's before the biggest liar of them all came on stage. Trump's speech was the usual. No need to listen to much of it. We've heard it all before.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2021, 01:33 PM   #529
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

New report: Trump admired Hitler.
Quote:
On a visit to Europe to mark the 100th anniversary of the end of the first world war, Donald Trump insisted to his then chief of staff, John Kelly: “Well, Hitler did a lot of good things.”

The remark from the former US president on the 2018 trip, which reportedly “stunned” Kelly, a retired US Marine Corps general, is reported in a new book by Michael Bender of the Wall Street Journal.

"Frankly, We Did Win This Election" has been widely trailed ahead of publication next week. The Guardian obtained a copy.

Bender reports that Trump made the remark during an impromptu history lesson in which Kelly “reminded the president which countries were on which side during the conflict” and “connected the dots from the first world war to the second world war and all of Hitler’s atrocities”.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...el-bender-book
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2021, 01:34 PM   #530
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post

Sure glad this journalist saved this story for their post presidency books rather than reporting it in a timely matter
Old 7th July 2021, 02:22 PM   #531
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dmaker View Post
Bedminster Golf Club, just down the road from Mar-a-Lago. Do all golf clubhouses in Florida look like the White House? Or is there a place that sells cardboard columns to dress them up like that?

Quote:
This is insane.
Correct. Therefore not newsworthy as real politics.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 7th July 2021 at 02:23 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2021, 02:28 PM   #532
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

The real tragedy is that Gen. Kelly, the source, and other top officials like Mattis and Tillerson didn't speak out for themselves about what they observed and experienced. They were no longer working for Trump; they had nothing to lose.

I continue to dream that somebody went into meetings with Trump with a concealed tape recorder, but if it ever happened we would know by now.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2021, 02:29 PM   #533
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post

As much as I despise Trump, I want some more confirmation on this one. I have certain sketpitcism that even Donnie would openly praise Hitler.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2021, 02:31 PM   #534
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

To be fair, all previous Presidents are still called "mister President". It's stupid, but that's how they do it down there.
Yes, all ex President are addressed as Mr President as a courtesy title.
Same a retired Military officers are addresed a "General" or "Admiral".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2021, 02:33 PM   #535
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Debated whether this should go under the Trump or Biden threads... but given the history it probably belongs here...

The Department of Defense announced Tuesday it’s calling off the $10 billion cloud contract that was the subject of a legal battle involving Amazon and Microsoft.....The JEDI, or Joint Enterprise Defense Infrastructure, deal has become one of the most tangled contracts for the Department of Defense.... The Pentagon said in the press release that it still needs enterprise-scale cloud capability...it plans to solicit proposals from both Amazon and Microsoft.
Microsoft was awarded the cloud computing contract in 2019...Amazon’s cloud computing unit filed a lawsuit....(arguing Trump) bias against Amazon and its CEO, Jeff Bezos, influenced the Pentagon...the Pentagon’s inspector general released a report saying that the award did not appear to be influenced...However, the inspector general noted...it had limited cooperation from White House officials.

So, I guess its an open question... was it a case where the needs of the pentagon changed? or was this a case of them wanting to 'correct' a forced mistake due to the influence of Stubby McBonespurs?
Or they might just p ulling the plug on a program that was not working very well.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 7th July 2021, 02:40 PM   #536
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
As much as I despise Trump, I want some more confirmation on this one. I have certain sketpitcism that even Donnie would openly praise Hitler.
Really? After his love affair with Putin and Kim you think Trump would have any problem saying "Hitler did a lot of good things"? I sure don't. Trump could have been thinking of the Autobahn, building a strong military, ordering the design of the Volkswagen, putting Germans back to work after two decade of high unemployment and Making Germany Great Again. Of course, he fails to connect WHY all those things happened...which are not so "good".
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2021, 02:42 PM   #537
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
You are right... we should be skeptical that a man who quoted Mussolini in the 2016 election, called neo-Nazi's "Fine People", and has praised authoritarian leaders like Kim and Putin might have said something nice about Hitler.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2021, 02:44 PM   #538
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Well, a reputable reporter quotes Gen. Kelly by name, and Kelly hasn't denied it. And it's consistent with his fawning over authoritarian leaders, and also his ignorance of history. The report was part of a description of Kelly trying to tell Trump who was on which side during WWI and WWII.
Old 7th July 2021, 03:18 PM   #539
surrogate
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Bedminster Golf Club, just down the road from Mar-a-Lago. Do all golf clubhouses in Florida look like the White House? Or is there a place that sells cardboard columns to dress them up like that?
Trump National Golf Club Bedminster is in New Jersey, not Florida.
surrogate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2021, 03:27 PM   #540
KDLarsen
Illuminator

I get the feeling that trump is the type of person who, whenever society in general agrees that something or someone is bad, he must take up a contrarian position. Just because.

For what it's worth, it sounds like he's read Hitler's speeches (or Mein Kampf, depending on who you believe), according to a 1990 Vanity Fair interview.

Quote:
Last April, perhaps in a surge of Czech nationalism, Ivana Trump told her lawyer Michael Kennedy that from time to time her husband reads a book of Hitler’s collected speeches, My New Order, which he keeps in a cabinet by his bed. Kennedy now guards a copy of My New Order in a closet at his office, as if it were a grenade. Hitler’s speeches, from his earliest days up through the Phony War of 1939, reveal his extraordinary ability as a master propagandist.

“Did your cousin John give you the Hitler speeches?” I asked Trump.

Trump hesitated. “Who told you that?”

“I don’t remember,” I said.

“Actually, it was my friend Marty Davis from Paramount who gave me a copy of Mein Kampf, and he’s a Jew.” (“I did give him a book about Hitler,” Marty Davis said. “But it was My New Order, Hitler’s speeches, not Mein Kampf. I thought he would find it interesting. I am his friend, but I’m not Jewish.”)

Later, Trump returned to this subject. “If I had these speeches, and I am not saying that I do, I would never read them.”
Vanity Fair: After the Gold Rush (September, 1990)
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2021, 03:30 PM   #541
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by surrogate View Post
Trump National Golf Club Bedminster is in New Jersey, not Florida.
I stand corrected.

Do all golf clubhouses in New Jersey look like the White House? Or is there a place that sells cardboard columns to dress them up like that?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2021, 03:36 PM   #542
surrogate
Critical Thinker

I stand corrected.

Do all golf clubhouses in New Jersey look like the White House? Or is there a place that sells cardboard columns to dress them up like that?
None of the clubhouses I have been in looked like the White House, but I gave up on playing golf several decades ago, so maybe things have changed since then.
surrogate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2021, 03:40 PM   #543
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
I get the feeling that trump is the type of person who, whenever society in general agrees that something or someone is bad, he must take up a contrarian position. Just because.

For what it's worth, it sounds like he's read Hitler's speeches (or Mein Kampf, depending on who you believe), according to a 1990 Vanity Fair interview.

Trump READ something not directly involving him?

Ivana probably saw the book and assumed he actually read it or parts of it.

If Trump had actually read it, he'd have known it wasn't Mein Kampt but My New Order.
Old 7th July 2021, 03:53 PM   #544
Belz...
Fiend God

That might be one of the reasons why he's so popular and why his cultists believe everything he says even when it's just patently false. Reality has "let them down", in their minds, for one. And second, it allows them to reflexively and strongly oppose "them", however those are.

I don't know. Something like that.

Old 7th July 2021, 04:25 PM   #545
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Sure glad this journalist saved this story for their post presidency books rather than reporting it in a timely matter
IIRC it was reported at the time. When Dump floods the news media with scandal after scandal these things have a short life span. That's one of his tactics.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2021, 04:25 PM   #546
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Or they might just p ulling the plug on a program that was not working very well.
That's essentially what the military is saying, that their needs have changed and the technology has changed.
Old 7th July 2021, 04:28 PM   #547
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Was there a movie version? Dump doesn't read.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2021, 04:33 PM   #548
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Was there a movie version? Dump doesn't read.
History Channel. All Der Fuhrer, All Der Time.

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 7th July 2021 at 04:40 PM.
Old 7th July 2021, 04:35 PM   #549
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
IIRC it was reported at the time. When Dump floods the news media with scandal after scandal these things have a short life span. That's one of his tactics.
I also thought "I've read this before quite a while ago." I seem to remember we discussed the autobahn and the Volkswagen. But any googling keeps going to the recent book.
Old 7th July 2021, 04:49 PM   #550
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Correct. Therefore not newsworthy as real politics.
Is Trump’s Golf Course Illegally Using The Presidential Seal?

Quote:
A golf marker displaying the presidential seal appeared to be in use at Donald Trump’s Bedminster, N.J. golf course, according to a photo posted on Instagram on Monday.  

Federal law prohibits displaying the presidential seal in a manner that may convey the impression of government sponsorship or approval. Violators can be imprisoned for up to six months. Same goes for anyone who manufactures a likeness of the seal, except when authorized by the U.S. government.  Based on recent history, however, it seems unlikely any prosecutors will be filing charges in this case.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2021, 04:53 PM   #551
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

A legal analyst on CNN said Trump's lawsuit against FB, Twitter et al will be quickly dismissed because he's claiming his banning violated the First Amendment. As she pointed out, the FA only applies to the government and FB, Twitter, et al are private companies. They have the legal right to ban anyone who breaks their rules. Either Trump has been getting bad legal advice, or more likely, he knows this but the lawsuit is just another way for him to grift his supporters of more money and to divert attention from the "Hitler did a lot of good things" negative coverage.
Old 7th July 2021, 04:58 PM   #552
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

It's a standard T**** grift. Gin up a controversy that requires legal action, dun his faithful followers for cash to "fight this dreadful crime in court", drop the case (or even just not file it), pocket the cash. It's amazing that the MAGAchuds fall for it every single time.
Old 7th July 2021, 05:45 PM   #553
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

It's a standard T**** grift. Gin up a controversy that requires legal action, dun his faithful followers for cash to "fight this dreadful crime in court", drop the case (or even just not file it), pocket the cash. It's amazing that the MAGAchuds fall for it every single time.
Stupid is as stupid does!
Old 7th July 2021, 05:53 PM   #554
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

it's just been pointed out by a legal expert that Trump knows this lawsuit will be thrown out before it goes anywhere because if it went forward, he would be deposed under oath. He wants that about as much as he wants a stroke. It's just another grift off his idiot supporters. You'd think they'd get wise to him, but cultists rarely see their 'leader' for what they are. Just ask the followers of Scientology, Warren Jeffs, etc.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 7th July 2021 at 05:55 PM.
Old 7th July 2021, 06:00 PM   #555
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
it's just been pointed out by a legal expert that Trump knows this lawsuit will be thrown out before it goes anywhere because if it went forward, he would be deposed under oath. He wants that about as much as he wants a stroke. It's just another grift off his idiot supporters. You'd think they'd get wise to him, but cultists rarely see their 'leader' for what they are. Just ask the followers of Scientology, Warren Jeffs, etc.
I really think we should just call them cultists, not supporters.

Old 7th July 2021, 06:10 PM   #556
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

A legal analyst on CNN said Trump's lawsuit against FB, Twitter et al will be quickly dismissed because he's claiming his banning violated the First Amendment. As she pointed out, the FA only applies to the government and FB, Twitter, et al are private companies. They have the legal right to ban anyone who breaks their rules. Either Trump has been getting bad legal advice, or more likely, he knows this but the lawsuit is just another way for him to grift his supporters of more money and to divert attention from the "Hitler did a lot of good things" negative coverage.
One of the complaints in the lawsuit is that it was unfair because Trump did not have the option of not agreeing with the terms of service.

That's right, the legal argument is that they couldn't have an account on Facebook unless they agreed to the terms of service, and, somehow, that was unfair.
Old 7th July 2021, 06:11 PM   #557
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I really think we should just call them cultists, not supporters.

One PA state senator, Doug Mastriano, is a Trump cultist who says he's demanding an AZ style "forensic investigation" into the election in his state. When the reporter asked why as it had already been dealt with by several courts including the SC, he pulled the usual "We're just asking questions" and 'We just want some questions answered as we want to be sure our elections are safe.... blah blah blah.' The PA Sec of State said that this will go nowhere, he's instructed the counties involved not to comply with Mastriano's requests and basically Mastriano is just looking for attention.
Old 7th July 2021, 06:12 PM   #558
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
One of the complaints in the lawsuit is that it was unfair because Trump did not have the option of not agreeing with the terms of service.

That's right, the legal argument is that they couldn't have an account on Facebook unless they agreed to the terms of service, and, somehow, that was unfair.
Poor baby. Always a victim.
Old 7th July 2021, 06:21 PM   #559
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
I wasted about 5 seconds on him.

I don't even like reading what he has to say. I will go to great lengths to avoid listening to him actually say it whenever possible.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2021, 06:55 PM   #560
dmaker
Graduate Poster

I read briefly today something along the lines of Trump's legal team is arguing that FB and Twitter are subject to the first amendment because they are essentially government since the public relies on them for crucial information during a crisis.

Or something like that..

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics