IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Florida politics , Ron DeSantis

Old 13th August 2021, 10:35 AM   #441
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

This is functionally no different then going "It's my choice to poop in the water supply and if someone else get's Cholera it's not on me."

Yes it is "on you." And acting high and mighty with some transparent fake affect of "Waaaaaat? It's not like I'm taking away your choice to not poop in the water supply if that is the choice that you make as your own personal choice choicey choice...." doesn't change that.
Old 13th August 2021, 10:37 AM   #442
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Of the 600 deaths per day, how many do you think are unvaccinated?
Belz is right - 95% + .

Don't take for granted that we can lose control of this thing if it mutates again. Also, you didn't address what I mentioned about the at-risk immunocompromised and children. The unvaccinated aren't just risking their own health at this point. We could see the - whatever greek letters - lambda, rho and omega variants go nuts and have to lock down and kill the economy again.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 10:37 AM   #443
Warp12
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
This is functionally no different then going "It's my choice to poop in the water supply and if someone else get's Cholera it's not on me."

Yes it is "on you." And acting high and mighty with some transparent fake affect of "Waaaaaat? It's not like I'm taking away your choice to not poop in the water supply if that is the choice that you make as your own personal choice choicey choice...." doesn't change that.
Good input.
Old 13th August 2021, 10:38 AM   #444
Warp12
Illuminator

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Belz is right - 95% + .

Don't take for granted that we can lose control of this thing if it mutates again. Also, you didn't address what I mentioned about the at-risk immunocompromised and children. The unvaccinated aren't just risking their own health at this point. We could see the - whatever greek letters - lambda, rho and omega variants go nuts and have to lock down and kill the economy again.
Ok, so the new point of this thread is mandatory vaccination?

I think that is new point, anyway.
Old 13th August 2021, 10:40 AM   #445
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Ok, so the new point of this thread is mandatory vaccination?
No the point is a society that isn't so stupid, trollish, contrarian, and near psychopathically evil that mandatory vaccines aren't necessary.

The price of freedom is not intentionally making the wrong choices specifically get back at the 'Libruls.
Old 13th August 2021, 10:41 AM   #446
carlitos
"más divertido"

I swear to God, when I jumped in this morning, I thought that the thread title was about DeSantis being hungry for blood, like he's killing his own citizens.

I apologize for starting / continuing the tangent here.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 10:43 AM   #447
Warp12
Illuminator

No the point is a society that isn't so stupid, trollish, contrarian, and near psychopathically evil that mandatory vaccines aren't necessary.

The price of freedom is not intentionally making the wrong choices specifically get back at the 'Libruls.
I don't think that is why, for the most part, people haven't been vaccinated.

If you look at the fact that only 50%, countrywide, are fully vaccinated...it's not all people who "hate liberals" that aren't getting vaccinated.
Old 13th August 2021, 10:44 AM   #448
Belz...
Fiend God

Basically...intent and execution.

Come on, man.
Dude, that doesn't answer my question. It's a very vague answer where I'm looking for something more specific. As I stated the intent is to save lives, at the cost of prohibiting destructive behaviour that certainly doesn't fall into the historc definition of "liberty". So where's the distinction for you?

Quote:
Exactly. So, most of these people made their choice, and took their chances.

That is the price of freedom, for them.
It's been explained time and time again that when THEY get infected their odds of infecting OTHERS, including the vaccinated, is increased, as is the chance of developing variants that the vaccines may not be effective against. Their choice, as you say, have consequences that extend way beyond their person.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 10:45 AM   #449
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I don't think that is why, for the most part, people haven't been vaccinated.

If you look at the fact that only 50%, countrywide, are fully vaccinated...it's not all people who "hate liberals" that aren't getting vaccinated.
You've already attempted that hijack, the facts were presented to you, and you ignored them. Further input from you on the topic is therefore not valid.
Old 13th August 2021, 10:49 AM   #450
Warp12
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
It's been explained time and time again that when THEY get infected their odds of infecting OTHERS, including the vaccinated, is increased, as is the chance of developing variants that the vaccines may not be effective against. Their choice, as you say, have consequences that extend way beyond their person.
They all signed up for personal freedoms. If they are vaccinated, it is fairly unlikely that they will die over these freedoms. If they choose not to be vaccinated, or take precautions, well...
Old 13th August 2021, 10:51 AM   #451
Belz...
Fiend God

They all signed up for personal freedoms. If they are vaccinated, it is fairly unlikely that they will die over these freedoms. If they choose not to be vaccinated, or take precautions, well...
Did you not read the post you replied to? The unvaccinated are going to create more variants, some of which might render the vaccines ineffective, and then anyone can die or become disabled because of that thing.

It's fine to have principles. It's unreasonable to apply those principles as absolutes without regards for other principles.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 10:54 AM   #452
Warp12
Illuminator

Did you not read the post you replied to? The unvaccinated are going to create more variants, some of which might render the vaccines ineffective, and then anyone can die or become disabled because of that thing.

It's fine to have principles. It's unreasonable to apply those principles as absolutes without regards for other principles.
The number of variants, imo, will be almost limitless. This is the new "flu", so to speak.

It's not a USA thing, it's a global thing.

I support the vaccine. The issue here seems to be, whether it should be mandatory or not, right? You think mandatory, right? Punishable by law?
Old 13th August 2021, 10:57 AM   #453
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

And this is what I mean when I say that people who define freedom solely as "how much am I allowed to get away with and how much are you allowed to tell me what to do?" cannot be reasoned with.
Old 13th August 2021, 10:58 AM   #454
Warp12
Illuminator

And this is what I mean when I say that people who define freedom solely as "how much am I allowed to get away with and how much are you allowed to tell me what to do?" cannot be reasoned with.
You support the vaccine as being mandatory, and if not undertaken, a crime?
Old 13th August 2021, 10:59 AM   #455
jnelso99
Graduate Poster

Not to mention there are states that literally have no ICU beds available, so if you're in Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, etc., you better hope you or a loved one doesn't get a heart attack, stroke, or get in a car accident, 'cause the beds are all full of unvaccinated COVID patients.
jnelso99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 10:59 AM   #456
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

You support the vaccine as being mandatory, and if not undertaken, a crime?
I support a discussion with someone who understands the question is more nuanced than that.
Old 13th August 2021, 11:00 AM   #457
Warp12
Illuminator

I support a discussion with someone who understands the question is more nuanced than that.
How about supporting answering my simple question, which was presented very directly?
Old 13th August 2021, 11:03 AM   #458
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

How about supporting answering my simple question, which was presented very directly?
Ah there it is. "Why won't you have a civil debate with me about this..."

Because your position is neither civil nor honest.
Old 13th August 2021, 11:06 AM   #459
Warp12
Illuminator

Originally Posted by jnelso99 View Post
Not to mention there are states that literally have no ICU beds available, so if you're in Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, etc., you better hope you or a loved one doesn't get a heart attack, stroke, or get in a car accident, 'cause the beds are all full of unvaccinated COVID patients.
So, do you support a mandatory vaccine? Making it a criminal offense to not get vaccinated? I am asking because that seems to be the push, here.
Old 13th August 2021, 11:07 AM   #460
Warp12
Illuminator

Ah there it is. "Why won't you have a civil debate with me about this..."

Because your position is neither civil nor honest.
So, do you think DeSantis should make vaccination mandatory? A legal requirement?
Old 13th August 2021, 11:08 AM   #461
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

No, I haven't misrepresented anything. Overall numbers are overall numbers. Easy to forget the dead of the past, right?
Oh, good lord. Just stop digging your hole, will ya? The topic isn't and hasn't been about overall deaths but about how DeSantis', Abbott's and other red state anti-mask and overall Covid policies are affecting cases NOW. You keep strawmanning it back to overall, pre-vaccine, pre-Delta days because you can't argue against how they are negatively affecting the numbers NOW.

Quote:
You are probably holding out hope that things turn worse in FL, because "evil Republican".
Just stop this silly crap, will ya? I'm really tired of your childish and false accusations. Grow up.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 11:08 AM   #462
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

So, do you think DeSantis should make vaccination mandatory? A legal requirement?
Yes. I already know exactly what your pearl clutching response is going to be, but yes.
Old 13th August 2021, 11:10 AM   #463
Warp12
Illuminator

Yes. I already know exactly what your pearl clutching response is going to be, but yes.
Took a while to drag that one out of you.

Ok, JoeMorgue says mandatory vaccines, punishment by law, otherwise.

Who is next to sign up for that?
Old 13th August 2021, 11:11 AM   #464
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Took a while to drag that one out of you.

Ok, JoeMorgue says mandatory vaccines, punishment by law, otherwise.

Who is next to sign up for that?
Huh that's funny. Usually a "gotcha" has a point to it.
Old 13th August 2021, 11:15 AM   #465
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
No, De Santis is evil not because he's a Republican, but because he is knowingly feeding his people to the virus.

Yeah, other states have bigger numbers, when you include the pre-vaccine and first wave numbers, the numbers that died when doctors were still learning how to treat it, and when politicians made big mistakes in handling it because they didn't know any better. Governors like Cumo have blood on their hands, but they have it because they acted poorly out of ignorance. De Santis doesn't have that excuse. We now know exactly what the virus is, how it spreads, and how to stop it. He is going out of his way to prevent people from taking those measures and stopping this virus, he is actively helping it spread and kill people. That is what makes him evil. If the likes of Cumo and other Governors knew what we know now at the start of 2020 and had acted in the way that they did back then with all that knowledge, then they would deserve the same condemnation, but there is a major difference between allowing people to spread the virus because of ignorance and forcing the spread of the virus on people when you know full well what the results are going to be, but want to score political brownie points.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 11:17 AM   #466
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
There is no such word as "eliberate" so you are admitting to deliberately using a non-existent word rather than admit to a simple typo.
I thought it was a nod to stundie.

Originally Posted by Par View Post
I’ll illiterate: hahahahahaha!!
Old 13th August 2021, 11:21 AM   #467
Belz...
Fiend God

The number of variants, imo, will be almost limitless. This is the new "flu", so to speak.
But only because unvaccinated people keep getting infected. If, for instance, everybody on Earth was vaccinated, there would be almost zero chance for such a variant to occur.

Quote:
You think mandatory, right? Punishable by law?
Let me put it like this: I support mandatory wearing of seatbelts because it can save the life of the driver, their passengers and the people around the car during an accident. Being vaccinated can save a LOT more people, including the person vaccinated and everybody around them, directly and indirectly. So yes, I support mandatory vaccines.

Old 13th August 2021, 11:22 AM   #468
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Okay Warp you've put out the "Ohhhh I need to make someone say the support mandatory vaccines" bait, get to the point.

You obviously think it's some horrible opinion to hold. Get on with it.
Old 13th August 2021, 11:23 AM   #469
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

The beautiful part of this is, when I wrote it, my partner and I shared a laugh as I explained the meaning. But here is Stacy, so smart, to dispute such an intentional spelling.
Cool Story brah.

How about that DeSantis dude who denies freedoms?

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 11:25 AM   #470
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I love freedoms that are so free that they can cripple the emergency medical services in a first world country. That’s serious free. Second amendment folks are getting all kinds of jealous.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 11:28 AM   #471
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Listened to Chuck Todd interview on "Boston Public Radio" on WGBH radio yesterday. He thinks that DeathSantis knows that he's in deep with this and is looking for a way out that saves face and doesn't tank him politically. I don't I share that opinion. Todd also opined that Charlie Crist is going to be a formidable opponent in the 2022 race for governor. I agree with that opinion.

I think the Damage id done and De Santis has badly damaged himself no matter what he does now.
Why do you fint it hard to believe that De Santis is just a very cynical and ruthless operator who is perfectly willing to endanger people if he thinks it iwll further hsi politcal career, and might be thinking he has miscalculated and wants a way out?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 11:32 AM   #472
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Probably all due to DeSantis, right? Like, we should give up our liberty because a statistically insignificant number of children die? I guess that is one way to handle it.
I suppose you're also against drunk driving laws because they take away your "liberty" to drink however much you want at a bar and then drive home. After all, a statistically insignificant number of children are actually killed by drunk drivers, right?
Quote:
Of the 1,233 traffic deaths among children ages 0 to 14 years in 2016, 214 (17%) involved an alcohol-impaired driver.
I mean that's only 214 kids killed by drunk drivers out of the millions of children aged 0-14 years. Totally insignificant number!
Old 13th August 2021, 11:33 AM   #473
carlitos
"más divertido"

Man, I can't imagine something like this happening. Except for last year, in some Dem states.
Are you unaware of the shortage of ICU beds in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma etc. right how?
Old 13th August 2021, 11:36 AM   #474
Warp12
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
Could have fooled me, Brah.

DeSantis outlawing a mask ban is preventing business owners from stating policies in their own stores.
I don't dig that one bit. A private enterprise should be free to make their own rules, within the general law, if clearly stated to the customers. The customer then has the choice to either support the business, or not.

IMO.
Old 13th August 2021, 11:39 AM   #475
Warp12
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
Hard right winger. I wouldn't expect any less.
I am not a "hard right winger", at all. But it sure seems that way, around here. I wonder why? Perspective, that's why.
Old 13th August 2021, 11:39 AM   #476
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

I don't dig that one bit. A private enterprise should be free to make their own rules, within the general law, if clearly stated to the customers. The customer then has the choice to either support the business, or not.

IMO.
DeSantis went full 'big government' with that ruling (along with other similar rules in other Repub states.

No mask Mandate State wide, but leave it up for the various counties/cities/ businesses now that a vaccine is available.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 11:45 AM   #477
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
There's less than 20,000 murders a year, but I imagine most of these people downplaying the severity of the covid death rate would not advocate a similar "hands off" approach to this objectively less severe threat.

I wonder how much of this stance is simply stubbornness and a refusal to admit that conservatives have been dead wrong about covid at every step.
BINGO! I've seldom seen such a classic case of

Old 13th August 2021, 12:28 PM   #478
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Exactly. So, most of these people made their choice, and took their chances.

That is the price of freedom, for them.

Not all of them, but most.
And in the meantime, infected up to 8 people who in turn infected up to 8 more each including children and those who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons or are immunocompromised....

It's not just about the individual.
Old 13th August 2021, 12:32 PM   #479
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think the Damage id done and De Santis has badly damaged himself no matter what he does now.
Why do you fint it hard to believe that De Santis is just a very cynical and ruthless operator who is perfectly willing to endanger people if he thinks it iwll further hsi politcal career, and might be thinking he has miscalculated and wants a way out?
Maybe because DeathSantis is too stupid to think at all about the consequences of anything he does.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 12:33 PM   #480
Warp12
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
And in the meantime, infected up to 8 people who in turn infected up to 8 more each including children and those who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons or are immunocompromised....

It's not just about the individual.
So, how long do we keep isolating and wearing headgear? I probably should wear a mask so that the inbred neighbor is not at risk for the virus that I likely don't have, I guess. I mean, this guy looks like he is his own father. Dangerous genes.

IMO, get the vaccine and get on with your life. High risk situations, wear a mask, and take precautions. Your personal choice.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics