IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Florida politics , Ron DeSantis

Old 13th August 2021, 04:00 PM   #521
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Oh, Jesus H Christ.

7700 ICU beds (or 10 jelly beans. This is the given number of 100%)

23% of 7700= 1771.
7700 - 1771 = 5,929
5,929 is 77% of 7700.

1771 + 5,929 = 7700

23% + 77% = 100%

I can't make it any more simple for you.
That's not helping.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 04:01 PM   #522
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
I am about choice. Like choosing to not spread your legs if you don't want the impending result.
You are all about gov knows best! Con gov says 'Protect the unborn innocent babies!" Gov says: Force women to give birth! (After baby is born, Conservatives don't care anymore.)

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 04:02 PM   #523
Matthew Best
Philosopher

The thing that WarpFactor whatever is confused by is the fact that, by coincidence, 23% of ICU beds are empty and also that 23% of ICU beds are occupied by COVID patients.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 04:04 PM   #524
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
That's not helping.
How not?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 04:10 PM   #525
Matthew Best
Philosopher

How not?
Because you're not answering his question.

His question is, in effect, "isn't it odd that the percentage of empty ICU beds (23%) is the same as the percentage of COVID-19 occupied beds (23%)?"
Old 13th August 2021, 04:14 PM   #526
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
The thing that WarpFactor whatever is confused by is the fact that, by coincidence, 23% of ICU beds are empty and also that 23% of ICU beds are occupied by COVID patients.
That's exactly the problem. It's conspiracy "there are no coincidences" thinking.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 04:17 PM   #527
sackett
Philosopher

When all the empty havering is done,* nobody has the right to endanger the public health. That includes all the ignorant mudsills from the Florida gov's office on up.

* As if it ever will be.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 06:14 PM   #528
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Who is the arbitrator of such matters? The individual?
When it comes to public safety, then the local officials, when it comes to a business, then the owners, and when it comes to the home, then the parents.

When a law or executive order, in this case, is made that contradicts federal advice on public safety, then yeah it should be ignored.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 06:20 PM   #529
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Should not be mandatory.
Cool, so you're all good with the 15,000 deaths a year, and the extra 2,500 that still could be saved if they'd follow the rules. Great to know you like the idea of killing loads of Americas because in your view they are too stupid to live.

I guess you have no concerns about the hospital beds the many more injured fill up, the amount of government money that would need to be paid out to people maimed and crippled for life in accidents, the trauma to the first responders, the devastation of families, or kids having to grow up without parents, of parents having to bury their kids, of workplaces that lose vital members of their staff, or wives and husbands that have to quit their jobs and spend their time as full-time carers for those that are cripple for the rest of their lives.

A wonderful display of compassion there.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 06:25 PM   #530
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think that is why, for the most part, people haven't been vaccinated.

If you look at the fact that only 50%, countrywide, are fully vaccinated...it's not all people who "hate liberals" that aren't getting vaccinated.
Really? Most of those people aren't vaccinated because the Ringwing politicians and media have been running almost non-stop anti-vaccination messages since Jan 7th. They have become the unwitting and sacrificial pawns in a game of pwn Biden by making Covid worse under his watch than it was under Trump's.

But hey, as long as people are dying so that idiots like De Santis can keep on scoring their political brownie points, what does it matter right? I mean De Santis claimed that nothing politicians can do can stop Covid, so why even try right? It's not like any country in the world has managed to eliminate the disease and so far keep the Delta variant at bay... oh yeah, right.

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 13th August 2021 at 06:26 PM.
Old 13th August 2021, 06:27 PM   #531
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

They all signed up for personal freedoms. If they are vaccinated, it is fairly unlikely that they will die over these freedoms. If they choose not to be vaccinated, or take precautions, well...
Such compassion for your fellow humans you show there...

Old 13th August 2021, 06:38 PM   #532
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

The number of variants, imo, will be almost limitless. This is the new "flu", so to speak.
But it doesn't need to be, it could be made into the new "smallpox", extinct but for a few samples in labs.

Quote:
It's not a USA thing, it's a global thing.
Yes, it is, but the reality of things is that when there is a world crisis, for better or worse, the world looks to the US for how to respond. If not for the actions and Trump and the insane rightwing in the US who have battled and slandered every sensible measure to combat this pandemic, it would have been over last June at the latest. There would be no Delta Variant and nearly half a million Americas and about three million non-Americans would still be alive. The reality of this is that whether you like it or not, the US led the way into this pandemic, and through their actions, they have led the world right into death and even more pandemic.

Quote:
I support the vaccine. The issue here seems to be, whether it should be mandatory or not, right? You think mandatory, right? Punishable by law?
Not at all, but it also should not be the law that businesses and schools aren't allowed to make it mandatory for people that want to work or go there, and that's the issue with De Santis, he is actively working to prevent local authorities and businesses from even taking measure that would help to stop the pandemic.

Old 13th August 2021, 06:39 PM   #533
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

So, do you think DeSantis should make vaccination mandatory? A legal requirement?
No, he just needs to stop banning those that want to put mask and vaccine mandates in place for their schools and businesses.

Old 13th August 2021, 07:29 PM   #534
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Just thought I'd post this here because it needs to be said as a reminder that not every unvaccinated person that ends up dying of Covid in Florida had a choice not to take the vaccine.

Old 13th August 2021, 09:22 PM   #535
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I should just point out that I live in Florida and my job is medical IT support. I visit 9 different cancer wards, 4 of them located inside hospitals, during an average a week.

Other people's stupidity is not fun for me and makes me angry.

Oof. Tough times. I just read that Dallas is out of child ICU beds. Your sick / injured kid can either wait for an opening ( another kid dies or recovers) or fly to Oklahoma. Or die themselves first.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2021, 01:10 AM   #536
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Oof. Tough times. I just read that Dallas is out of child ICU beds. Your sick / injured kid can either wait for an opening ( another kid dies or recovers) or fly to Oklahoma. Or die themselves first.
No worries. According to another member, kids are only dying from Covid in "insignificant numbers". There's not enough child deaths to justify impinging on our liberty of choice.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2021, 01:14 AM   #537
Warp12
Illuminator

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
No, he just needs to stop banning those that want to put mask and vaccine mandates in place for their schools and businesses.
I agree, he should not be doing that. Too much government control.

But, then again, a lot of people here seem to advocate for way more government control. Such as mandatory vaccination.
Old 14th August 2021, 02:38 AM   #538
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
And the important question is, why were they unvaccinated? Choice? Supply problems? Medical issues? Cretin running the state?
Also they were probably infected 10-15 days, or more, ago.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2021, 02:52 AM   #539
Warp12
Illuminator

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
And the important question is, why were they unvaccinated? Choice? Supply problems? Medical issues? Cretin running the state?
Also they were probably infected 10-15 days, or more, ago.
Huh? DeSantis is an advocate for vaccination.
Old 14th August 2021, 03:16 AM   #540
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

DeSantis has not exactly been a vocal advocate for vaccination, but he does support it. Below are quotes from a Florida based website named Florida Politics. This was posted last month.
Quote:
In his most comprehensive statement on vaccine advocacy in a long time, Gov. Ron DeSantis said Monday it is clear COVID-19 vaccines are keeping people out of hospitals. Yet, at a news conference in Poinciana regarding wildlife corridors, the Governor expressed reluctance to sound pushy in telling Floridians they should get vaccinated. He suggested anything coming across as aggressive likely would make distrustful people more annoyed and hesitant.

But the data makes a case, he offered. “If you are vaccinated, though, the number of people who end up hospitalized is almost zero. It’s incredibly, incredibly low,” DeSantis said...DeSantis finds himself walking a political and public health tightrope on vaccine advocacy, as he made it clear he believes they work and are safe; yet polls show a large portion of his political base aligns with an anti-vaccine movement that is openly discouraging people from getting vaccinated. Florida Politics article link
DeSantis would much prefer talking about, and slamming, Dr. Anthony Fauci, but when prompted -- like trump -- he'll admit he thinks vaccines are both safe and effective. But DeSantis (and trump) supporters reject that advice. Reportedly, trump was vaccinated in January, but I don't think he has ever acknowledged that, at least not publicly. Has DeSantis been vaccinated? Apparently he has, but he won't talk about it. Might skew his polling numbers.

Real leadership, right?
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2021, 05:28 AM   #541
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

If you support "vaccines but if you don't want to get them hey no problem" then you misunderstand how vaccines work to the point that it isn't really supporting any real-world application for them.

Again I'm done with the ProudlyWrong and their routine of arguing entirely from a position against something, then just mouthing the words "But I agree with/support X" and acting like that makes it okay.
Old 14th August 2021, 09:52 AM   #542
slyjoe
Master Poster

If you support "vaccines but if you don't want to get them hey no problem" then you misunderstand how vaccines work to the point that it isn't really supporting any real-world application for them.

Again I'm done with the ProudlyWrong and their routine of arguing entirely from a position against something, then just mouthing the words "But I agree with/support X" and acting like that makes it okay.
Exactly right.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2021, 11:17 AM   #543
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

DeSantis may not be an anti-vaxxer but he's done little to promote getting covid vaccinated. When he sells "Don't Fauci FL" t-shirts to raise money for your campaign, he's sending the wrong message.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 14th August 2021 at 11:58 AM.
Old 14th August 2021, 11:56 AM   #544
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

DeSantis may not be an anti-vaxxer but he's done little to promote getting covid vaccinated. When you sell "Don't Fauci FL" t-shirts to raise money for your campaign, he's sending the wrong message.
And that's all it takes for a certain demographic to lap it up. Look no further than the OP.
Old 14th August 2021, 12:22 PM   #545
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

DeSantis appeared on (shock!) Tucker Carlson's (GOP propaganda) show and provided more proof of his idiocy (as if we needed that):
Quote:
Gov. Ron DeSantis returned Thursday to Fox News to blast the Joe Biden White House for “medical authoritarianism.”

DeSantis contended the fight against mask mandates is akin to other great battles for freedom, and suggested also that the White House was “obsessed” with him.

The Governor, headed to Nevada for political events Friday, got in a few new lines to Tucker Carlson before the flight, highlighted by the medical authoritarianism phrasing that may surface again in a fundraising appeal sooner or later.

“They are basically saying that we are all just subservient to medical authoritarianism. Whatever they think needs to be done, we have to be subservient to it. That’s probably the most significant threat to freedom in my lifetime. Certainly since the fall of the Berlin Wall,” DeSantis said.

“They’ve come a long way in their ideology,” he concluded.
https://floridapolitics.com/archives...horitarianism/

"Medical authoritarianism" LOL!
Old 14th August 2021, 01:23 PM   #546
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

No worries. According to another member, kids are only dying from Covid in "insignificant numbers". There's not enough child deaths to justify impinging on our liberty of choice.
I know your post is sarcastic, but running out of ICU beds means that they are not available for conditions other than Covid. I have to confess that I have some sympathy for the idea that the popularity of antivax and antimask views in among right wingers is a good thing, as it will kill some of them off, but the collateral damage to people who legitimately can't get vaccinated, and to people who need those ICU beds for injuries or for illness other than Covid is a huge downside to that.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2021, 01:25 PM   #547
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

DeSantis appeared on (shock!) Tucker Carlson's (GOP propaganda) show and provided more proof of his idiocy (as if we needed that):

DeSantis is protecting our rights. Foremost among the "rights" he is protecting are the right to catch and spread dangerous diseases, and the right to be a complete moron.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2021, 01:26 PM   #548
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
I know your post is sarcastic, but running out of ICU beds means that they are not available for conditions other than Covid. I have to confess that I have some sympathy for the idea that the popularity of antivax and antimask views in among right wingers is a good thing, as it will kill some of them off, but the collateral damage to people who legitimately can't get vaccinated, and to people who need those ICU beds for injuries or for illness other than Covid is a huge downside to that.
I absolutely agree with your point about ICU beds.
Old 14th August 2021, 01:33 PM   #549
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

“Stop licking the toilet!”

DeSantis: “Don’t tell me what to do!”

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2021, 01:45 PM   #550
Agatha
Winking at the Moon
Deputy Admin

Mod Warning Will you all please try much harder to stay within the bounds of the MA.

In particular, stay on topic, do not discuss Forum Management topics (such as trolling) outside FMF, and do not personalise your posts.
Responding to this mod box in thread will be off topic Posted By:Agatha
Old 16th August 2021, 06:13 AM   #551
wareyin
Philosopher

Fox News is certainly hungry for DeSantis! “We see him as the future of the party.”

Quote:
From the week of the 2020 election through February, the network asked DeSantis to appear on its airwaves 113 times, or nearly once a day. Sometimes, the requests came in bunches — four, five, even six emails in a matter of hours from producers who punctuated their overtures with flattery. (“The governor spoke wonderfully at CPAC,” one producer wrote in March.)
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2021, 10:50 AM   #552
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Fox News is certainly hungry for DeSantis! “We see him as the future of the party.”
Oh, great. A Trump mini-me is the future of the GOP? Let's just keep going with the insanity because it worked out so well for us?
Old 16th August 2021, 10:56 AM   #553
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, great. A Trump mini-me is the future of the GOP? Let's just keep going with the insanity because it worked out so well for us?
Well it kinda has.

Most of the GOP representatives are still in a job, President Trump got millions more votes than any other Republican presidential candidate and thanks to voter suppression and the vagaries of the Electoral College he almost won a second time.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2021, 11:00 AM   #554
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Well it kinda has.

Most of the GOP representatives are still in a job, President Trump got millions more votes than any other Republican presidential candidate and thanks to voter suppression and the vagaries of the Electoral College he almost won a second time.
But he didn't win and he lost by an even larger popular vote margin than Clinton lost in 2016.
Old 16th August 2021, 11:04 AM   #555
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

But he didn't win and he lost by an even larger popular vote margin than Clinton lost in 2016.
True, but a few tens of thousands of votes in some key states would have swayed the result - something the GOP is very aware of and working to influence.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2021, 11:10 AM   #556
Belz...
Fiend God

True, but a few tens of thousands of votes in some key states would have swayed the result - something the GOP is very aware of and working to influence.
Since we're post-fact, why is the GOP even trying to sound legitimate? Just cheat openly and deny you're doing it.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2021, 11:35 AM   #557
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Absolutely they're working on propping themselves up by voter suppression... because they lost.

More people have left the Republican Party than have joined. Thousands left the week after Jan. 6 alone. it is shrinking and it will continue to shrink as the demographics of the country change.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 16th August 2021 at 12:06 PM.
Old 16th August 2021, 11:38 AM   #558
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Since we're post-fact, why is the GOP even trying to sound legitimate? Just cheat openly and deny you're doing it.
Honestly they sort of are. They've got narrative pretty much solid into the:

1. If the system is fair, the Democrats will win.
2. If the system is unfair, the Republicans will win.
3. Ergo wanting an fair system is cheating in the Democrat's favor.
Old 16th August 2021, 05:28 PM   #559
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Honestly they sort of are. They've got narrative pretty much solid into the:

1. If the system is fair, the Democrats will win.
2. If the system is unfair, the Republicans will win.
3. Ergo wanting an fair system is cheating in the Democrat's favor.
Pigeon chess.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2021, 07:12 PM   #560
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know if this was the proper thread for this, but it fits as well here as anywhere, I guess. Trump wannabe Ted Cruz makes another stupid statement. How dare the female reporter wear a head covering in a country where women wear head covering?

Ted Cruz

@tedcruz

Is there an enemy of America for whom
@CNN
WON’T cheerlead?

(In mandatory burkas, no less.)
Q
https://twitter.com/i/status/1427287286425735169

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics