IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th October 2021, 07:24 AM   #481
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Only if you inject boof it.
I think that's more in line for him
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2021, 05:38 PM   #482
zorro99
Graduate Poster

Far Right Wing Commentator Who Contracted COVID Threatens Dr. Fauci: ‘Give Me Liberty or Give You Death’

By David BadashOctober 5, 2021 at 08:15 AM ET

Far right extremist commentator Josh Bernstein, an anti-vaxxer who recently contracted COVID after threatening a “lead injection” for anyone who tried to vaccinate him, appears to have issued an obscenity-laden death threat against Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) and the Chief Medical Advisor to the President.

“Let me tell you something you sick twisted garden gnome,” Bernstein says in the video below which was posted by the watchdog group by Right Wing Watch.

“Okay? Our rights don’t come from you. They don’t come from the NIH, they don’t come from the Center for disinformation control, they don’t come from the Wuhan Health Organization, and they certainly don’t come from this fraudulent extremist authoritarian regime government, either,” Bernstein declared, referring to the National Institutes of Health, and apparently the CDC , the World Health Organization, and the Biden administration.

“They come from God. That’s where they come from, and not you, or any government, or any intel person or agency is going to do anything about it,” he warned.

https://www.thenewcivilrightsmovemen...ive-you-death/
Old 5th October 2021, 07:33 PM   #483
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

But it's the left wing that are the violent crazies!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2021, 03:20 AM   #484
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Why do 'commentators' like Josh Bernstein and their followers think it's okay to use like language like this, "sick twisted garden gnome," because they have a different view on some issue? The tone is semi-hysterical. It's scary that they seem to think it's okay to vilify and trash someone because they have different views. That they don't see the danger in that, that it is, among other things, completely and totally undemocratic.

As usual, the Bernstein story has some plot twists. Did Bernstein actually have Covid-19? Maybe not. Below is a quote from a Newsweek article published September 20th:
Quote:
Conservative talk show host Josh Bernstein, who has been a fierce critic of mask and other mandates during the pandemic, announced that he had been infected with COVID-19. After publication of this article, he told Newsweek that his COVID test had come back negative. Newsweek link
On Friday September 17, 2021, broadcasting his talk show from his bedroom, Bernstein had said, "This thing is brutal. It's not the flu, it's not." He concluded his show by asking his fans to "keep him in their prayers while he battled the virus."

So, did he or didn't he? According to what he later told Newsweek, no he didn't. Poor Josh just wasn't feeling good, wasn't up to par. Or was he duping Newsweek? Who really knows. More important, who really cares. If he died tomorrow, would his fans care? I doubt it, why would they?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg What a guy.jpg (119.4 KB, 7 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2021, 09:03 AM   #485
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Why do 'commentators' like Josh Bernstein and their followers think it's okay to use like language like this, "sick twisted garden gnome," because they have a different view on some issue? The tone is semi-hysterical
IIRC, some member of ISF has a signature that says "The reason I'm shouting is because I'm wrong."
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2021, 09:51 AM   #486
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by W.D.Clinger View Post
IIRC, some member of ISF has a signature that says "The reason I'm shouting is because I'm wrong."
Yup.
Old 6th October 2021, 06:18 PM   #487
gypsyjackson
Graduate Poster

Back to science denying GOP politicians who have died:

“Katie Howard, president of Anderson County Republican Women & runner up to Sen. Southworth in 2020 GOP primary, died last Sunday”

https://twitter.com/joesonka/status/...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2021, 07:46 PM   #488
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gypsyjackson View Post
Back to science denying GOP politicians who have died:

“Katie Howard, president of Anderson County Republican Women & runner up to Sen. Southworth in 2020 GOP primary, died last Sunday”

https://twitter.com/joesonka/status/...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
Yeah, but she died unmagnetized and without a tracking chip in her!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2021, 07:59 PM   #489
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

It's just great when Trumptrash die for their party. More Trumptrash have died for their party than their kind lost by in Georgia. If we get just enough more of the scum to not take the shot, Americans might retake North Carolina. We just need enough anti-Americans, pro-Trump scum to die and we'll get another pro American state back in the union. Come on North Carolina Trumptrash, just keep dying. Your country needs you to stop exchanging oxygen.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2021, 01:00 AM   #490
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

With the widespread availability of vaccines in the U.S., Covid has become a death tax on the stupid. I thought the GQP was against raising taxes. I guess not.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2021, 01:10 AM   #491
Susheel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
It's just great when Trumptrash die for their party. More Trumptrash have died for their party than their kind lost by in Georgia. If we get just enough more of the scum to not take the shot, Americans might retake North Carolina. We just need enough anti-Americans, pro-Trump scum to die and we'll get another pro American state back in the union. Come on North Carolina Trumptrash, just keep dying. Your country needs you to stop exchanging oxygen.
Hush...or you will be called out for being insensitive to the willfully stupid.
Old 7th October 2021, 05:33 AM   #492
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Quiet now, just calm the farm and sit down quietly. We don't want them to get wind of the "Grand Plan" whereby they remove themselves from the gene pool without any help from us.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2021, 07:23 PM   #493
kevbo
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Yeah, but she died unmagnetized and without a tracking chip in her!
l
kevbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2021, 07:25 PM   #494
kevbo
Critical Thinker

I'm kind of hoping for this in Florida and Texas. That would be a game changer.
kevbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 04:13 AM   #495
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

There's been some talk -- including here -- on how the current case numbers are rapidly dropping. They are declining but slowly. The past seven days the rolling average finally edged under 100,000 per day, though there were over 100,000 new cases reported yesterday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg US New cases 30 days 10072021.jpg (52.8 KB, 10 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 06:35 AM   #496
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
I'm kind of hoping for this in Florida and Texas. That would be a game changer.
Current average is 88 deaths per day. Nearly 56,000 total COVID deaths reported so far.

https://usafacts.org/visualizations/.../state/florida
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 07:05 AM   #497
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

If only she had lived in a swing state.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2021, 08:00 AM   #498
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Current average is 88 deaths per day. Nearly 56,000 total COVID deaths reported so far.

https://usafacts.org/visualizations/.../state/florida
Obviously, there are a million other factors to consider - population trends, actual candidate appeal, Covid deaths among (especially older) Democrats, voting access, etc.

But looking at 2018, it's an interesting example.

CandidateRon DeSantisAndrew Gillum
Popular vote 4,076,186 4,043,723
Dead (R) voters( 50,000)...
Net Net4,026,1864,043,723

ETA - In 2020, Trump won Florida by more than 350,000 votes.

Last edited by carlitos; 8th October 2021 at 08:03 AM.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2021, 04:48 PM   #499
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Not dead yet, but trying.

Quote:
Allen West, 60, Carrolton, TX, GOP candidate for Gov. Anti-mandate, vax skeptic, sick with COVID.
According to this article Allen and his wife Angela have come down with COVID and he has been taking Hydroxychloroquine and Ivermectin at home.

Today he clarified that his wife is recently vaccinated and that he is most likely headed to the hospital.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2021, 11:33 PM   #500
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Well, we can still hope.
Old 9th October 2021, 11:39 PM   #501
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Antivaxxer murders his brother and sister-in-law....

... and his reason? Likely to be because they administer Covid-19 vaccines.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jeffrey...ots-poisoning/

"Jeffrey Burnham, 46, of Cumberland, 'wanted to confront' his brother 'with the government poisoning people with COVID vaccines,' one document reads, adding, 'He repeatedly stated, 'Brian knows something!'

Burnham's mother told detectives he planned to confront his brother, 58-year-old Brian Robinette, Howard County court documents specify."

You just couldn't make this stuff up..
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
"Woke" is a pejorative term used by racists, bigots and homophobes to describe people who have a properly functioning moral compass!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2021, 11:43 PM   #502
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Well, we can still hope.
These links tried to me redirect to a scam
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
"Woke" is a pejorative term used by racists, bigots and homophobes to describe people who have a properly functioning moral compass!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2021, 06:00 AM   #503
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
The link didn't work for me either but I just got a routine 404 error message:
Quote:
Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.
The link is supposed to be to the Sorry Anti-vaxxer website and the Allen West entry. This link seems to work. Sorryanti-vaxxer.com

The original link has an extra "http://" at the beginning.
Old 10th October 2021, 06:30 AM   #504
Boudicca90
Muse

As a former Floridian, I'm rooting for covid here.
Boudicca90 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2021, 06:33 AM   #505
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

What I don't understand is people being against both the lockdowns and the vaccine. The people opposed to the lockdowns usually said it was on economic grounds. They felt damage to the economy from lockdowns outweighed the danger the disease posed to society. Remember Texas Lt. Governor Dan Patrick? ("There's more important things than living.")

Yet many of these same people refuse to be vaccinated on the grounds the vaccine didn't go through the normal testing protocols. They were authorized for emergency use, not formally approved by the FDA. They were willing to get sick, potentially die, in order to keep businesses open. But end the pandemic by getting vaccinated with a treatment they deem potentially risky, that's asking too much?

As a former supervisor of mine liked to say, "What's wrong with this picture?"
Old 10th October 2021, 07:29 AM   #506
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder of these morons know that the antibody treatments for COVID-19 also have an EUA not full approval.
Old 10th October 2021, 09:43 AM   #507
Boudicca90
Muse

I don't think it matters as long as they sincerely believe they are getting a "premium" service compared to everyone else. It costs more, therefore it is more effective.

And the rest of us are all sheep, of course.
Boudicca90 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2021, 11:25 AM   #508
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Boudicca90 View Post
I don't think it matters as long as they sincerely believe they are getting a "premium" service compared to everyone else. It costs more, therefore it is more effective.

And the rest of us are all sheep, of course.
Plus it is equivalent to putting on your seat belt AFTER crashing the car.
Old 10th October 2021, 12:35 PM   #509
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

They were willing to get sick, potentially die, in order to keep businesses open. But end the pandemic by getting vaccinated with a treatment they deem potentially risky, that's asking too much?

As a former supervisor of mine liked to say, "What's wrong with this picture?"

What's wrong with it is that it was never about making sense from a scientific, rationalist point of view, or even from a consistent point of view. It was, and is, about scoring points against "THEM".

They opposed lockdowns because the Dems supported them, and now they oppose vaccines because Dems support them. That's the only analysis that makes both their positions actually make "sense".
Old 10th October 2021, 12:40 PM   #510
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Yoda, is that you?
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2021, 04:56 PM   #511
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

What I don't understand is people being against both the lockdowns and the vaccine.
That's because you don't understand their real reason for opposing them. It's all about asserting their independent identity. They are not children who have to do what they are told 'because', they are adults who have earned the right to make their own decisions. And if they decide to be selfish ignoramuses who die because of it, that's their right! Nobody tells them what to do, especially when it involves giving up some of their freedoms to benefit others (that's communism you know).

Imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. Faceless bureaucrats and supercilious 'scientists' forcing their groupthink on you. That's what following lockdown rules, wearing masks and getting vaccinated means. "Give me liberty, or give me death!" And the virus is happy to oblige.

Some say Covid was engineered in a lab in China. A few say it was deliberately spread in order to kill Americans, specifically Americans who value being selfish ignoramuses more than life. If so then this could be the most successful eugenics experiment yet, and one that was desperately needed.
Old 10th October 2021, 05:19 PM   #512
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
..."Give me liberty, or give me death!"...

Anti-mask, anti-vaxxer Internet talk show host Josh Bernstein -- who said on his show he had a "brutal" case of Covid and asked his viewers to pray for him (but then told Newsweek he didn't have Covid) -- has updated that one.
Quote:
"Give me liberty or give you death. That's right. Signed, sealed and ******* delivered." Raw Story link
Old 10th October 2021, 05:25 PM   #513
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Anti-mask, anti-vaxxer Internet talk show host Josh Bernstein -- who said on his show he had a "brutal" case of Covid and asked his viewers to pray for him (but then told Newsweek he didn't have Covid) -- has updated that one.
It's unfortunate that the death rate from being accidentally hit by a falling piano is much lower than it used to be.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2021, 07:42 PM   #514
dirtywick
Illuminator

You can’t act like a bad ass after begging people to pray for you. What a pussy
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2021, 09:03 PM   #515
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
You can’t act like a bad ass after begging people to pray for you. What a pussy
Ah - but they ask for "Prayer WARRIORS!".

That makes it all macho and cool, like a Godly Rambo.

(Nearly every post in the Herman Cain Award subreddit includes the sick person or their relatives begging for "Prayer Warriors" [followed by death and then the Go Fund Me effort]. A decent researcher of religion could probably publish a few nice articles tying the phrase to specific Christian groups, and would probably be able to show that those groups are getting hit by Covid much harder than other Christian groups.)

Last edited by crescent; 10th October 2021 at 09:04 PM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2021, 09:43 PM   #516
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

What I don't understand is people being against both the lockdowns and the vaccine.
You can drive yourself totally insane trying to make sense of whack-jobbery. I gave that up, now I just mock the whack-jobs mercilessly.
Old 11th October 2021, 04:16 AM   #517
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Ah - but they ask for "Prayer WARRIORS!".
Aka a GoFundMe page with them as the recipient. They have the same scam going as the Indian call-center dudes.
Old 11th October 2021, 04:39 AM   #518
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Aka a GoFundMe page with them as the recipient. They have the same scam going as the Indian call-center dudes.

Much as I would like the Indian call-center dudes to all **** off and die, you have to at least admit they are smart enough not to actually kill themselves as part of their scam.
Old 11th October 2021, 05:22 AM   #519
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Much as I would like the Indian call-center dudes to all **** off and die, you have to at least admit they are smart enough not to actually kill themselves as part of their scam.
Point. More like when Sheriff Bart rode into town in "Blazing Saddles". But with real guns, which makes it not so funny.
Old 11th October 2021, 07:29 PM   #520
zorro99
Graduate Poster

Allen West, Republican running for governor of Texas, hospitalized with covid-19
Rachel Pannett1:56 a.m. EDT

Allen West, a tea party firebrand who is seeking the Republican nomination in the Texas gubernatorial race, is in the hospital after testing positive for the coronavirus.

West, a former Republican congressman from Florida, is unvaccinated. His diagnosis Saturday came days after he attended a crowded political fundraiser at a yacht club in Seabrook.

From his hospital bed, he issued a string of tweets attacking vaccine mandates and promoting controversial treatments, vowing that if elected, he would “vehemently crush anyone forcing vaccine mandates” in Texas.

“Our bodies are our last sanctuary of liberty and freedom, I will defend that for everyone,” he wrote.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...ican-governor/

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics