IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th October 2021, 06:26 PM   #561
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Really? Not that deadly? Tell that to the 744,546 people who have died in so far in the US and the 4,913,930 people who have died worldwide. And those are only the ones we know about. There are likely tens, if not hundreds, of thousands more.

Why this need to downplay it? Following Trump's lead?
Not so deadly as to kill a lot of politicians in the western world, regardless of their politics.
Old 17th October 2021, 06:31 PM   #562
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Really? Not that deadly? Tell that to the 744,546 people who have died in so far in the US and the 4,913,930 people who have died worldwide. And those are only the ones we know about. There are likely tens, if not hundreds, of thousands more.

Why this need to downplay it? Following Trump's lead?
Not so deadly as to kill a bunch of western politicians, regardless of their politics.

It's not like everyone who catches covid dies. Why do you imagine the death rate should be higher among your political enemies? Do you believe they don't have access to the same health care as your political allies?
Old 17th October 2021, 06:35 PM   #563
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Not so deadly as to kill a lot of politicians in the western world, regardless of their politics.
So? Your claim it isn't "that deadly" is the point I was addressing not how many politicians it kills. Are we going to start determining its deadliness by how many politicians it kills?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2021, 06:37 PM   #564
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Has everything to do with dying of covid, which is the premise of this thread.
No, it does not. Hundreds of thousands of people in your country who were not sickly or destitute have died of COVID 19. If this is what you actually think I strongly suggest you avoid the kool-ade. Maybe check out a little actual science.
Old 17th October 2021, 06:37 PM   #565
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Not so deadly as to kill a bunch of western politicians, regardless of their politics.

It's not like everyone who catches covid dies. Why do you imagine the death rate should be higher among your political enemies? Do you believe they don't have access to the same health care as your political allies?
And not everyone who gets cancer dies, either. Does that make cancer not deadly?

The reason more GOPers are dying is because THERE ARE MORE NOT GETTING VACCINATED. I can't believe you don't get that. But I suspect you do.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2021, 06:41 PM   #566
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
No, it does not. Hundreds of thousands of people in your country who were not sickly or destitute have died of COVID 19. If this is what you actually think I strongly suggest you avoid the kool-ade. Maybe check out a little actual science.
Unfortunately, there is knee jerk reaction by a lot of conservatives and/or Trump supporters to defend the Republicans' asinine response to Covid.
Old 17th October 2021, 07:05 PM   #567
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

So? Your claim it isn't "that deadly" is the point I was addressing not how many politicians it kills. Are we going to start determining its deadliness by how many politicians it kills?
Sigh. That is what this thread is about and he did specify that he was talking about the subject of this thread.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2021, 07:09 PM   #568
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

What country do you think he is in? And can you provide a cite for "hundreds of thousands" of not sickly or destitute.

I'll see if I can find a cite but I believe the CDC says that 94% of Covid deaths have comorbidities. And the average number of comorbidities was over 2.

ETA: https://acdis.org/articles/news-94-p...on-surrounding

The article also explains why I remembered that. It was a fact the former president mangled. That data is dated, so if you have more up to date info, that would be good.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 17th October 2021 at 07:11 PM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2021, 07:11 PM   #569
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

The original premise was never going to be very fruitful. Covid just isn't that deadly, and politicians as a class just aren't that sickly and destitute.
Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Sigh. That is what this thread is about and he did specify that he was talking about the subject of this thread.
By restricting it to only politicians, he's attempting to downplay how deadly Covid is. How deadly it is to politicians is not how we measure how deadly Covid is.
Old 17th October 2021, 07:13 PM   #570
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

For god sakes, read the first three words of his quote and look at the title of this thread.

He is correct, at the current rates, as bad as they are, we still don't expect to see a lot of on topic updates in this thread. That's just a true fact.
Old 17th October 2021, 07:17 PM   #571
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

For god sakes, read the first three words of his quote and look at the title of this thread.

He is correct, at the current rates, as bad as they are, we still don't expect to see a lot of on topic updates in this thread. That's just a true fact.
For god's sake, read what I said. I don't give a Bleep what the original premise was. He is attempting to minimize how deadly Covid is and you are playing right into it.
Old 18th October 2021, 12:31 AM   #572
zorro99
Graduate Poster

GOP lawmaker, banned from flying Alaska Airlines over mask mandate, tests positive for coronavirus

By Derek Hawkins and Timothy Bella
October 14, 2021 at 10:01 a.m. EDT

An Alaska GOP lawmaker banned from flying on the state’s leading airline for refusing to wear a mask, and therefore unable to travel to and from the state capital, has now tested positive for the coronavirus, she said.

State Sen. Lora Reinbold, a Republican representing an Anchorage suburb, wrote on Facebook on Tuesday night that it was her “turn to battle Covid head on.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...old-covid-gop/
Old 18th October 2021, 12:51 AM   #573
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
GOP lawmaker, banned from flying Alaska Airlines over mask mandate, tests positive for coronavirus

By Derek Hawkins and Timothy Bella
October 14, 2021 at 10:01 a.m. EDT

An Alaska GOP lawmaker banned from flying on the state’s leading airline for refusing to wear a mask, and therefore unable to travel to and from the state capital, has now tested positive for the coronavirus, she said.

State Sen. Lora Reinbold, a Republican representing an Anchorage suburb, wrote on Facebook on Tuesday night that it was her “turn to battle Covid head on.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...old-covid-gop/
Is she taking ivermectin, hydroxychloroquine and grape seed extract? Or maybe injecting a light?
Old 18th October 2021, 04:08 AM   #574
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Is she taking ivermectin, hydroxychloroquine and grape seed extract? Or maybe injecting a light?
Bleach. In Alaska, they drink bleach.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2021, 04:13 AM   #575
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Bleach. In Alaska, they drink bleach.
Isn't the State white enough?
Old 18th October 2021, 04:21 AM   #576
zorro99
Graduate Poster

Alaska Airlines made the right call in banning her. Can’t have filthy people spreading disease around.
Old 18th October 2021, 05:04 AM   #577
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Sadly, add Colin Powell to the list.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2021, 05:12 AM   #578
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

What country do you think he is in? And can you provide a cite for "hundreds of thousands" of not sickly or destitute.

I'll see if I can find a cite but I believe the CDC says that 94% of Covid deaths have comorbidities. And the average number of comorbidities was over 2.

ETA: https://acdis.org/articles/news-94-p...on-surrounding

The article also explains why I remembered that. It was a fact the former president mangled. That data is dated, so if you have more up to date info, that would be good.
Comorbidities and COVID 19, in context:

https://www.futurity.org/cdc-covid-1...ies-2436032-2/

Doe not mean these people were "sickly" or "destitute".
Old 18th October 2021, 05:28 AM   #579
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
The only thing sad about it is that the victims of his warmongering didn't get to burn him alive.

Gotta take the W's we can in these dire times, rest in piss loser.
Old 18th October 2021, 05:34 AM   #580
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Comorbidities and COVID 19, in context:
That's the same information I just cited to you.
Doe not mean these people were "sickly" or "destitute".
Oh for crying out loud. Of course comorbidity means sickly. Look the damn words up. Comorbidity the presence of two or more diseases. Diseases that contributed to death in the this case.
Old 18th October 2021, 05:35 AM   #581
Warp12
Illuminator

Quote:
"We have lost a remarkable and loving husband, father, grandfather and a great American," his family said in a statement, adding that he was fully vaccinated.
I am not sure if he qualifies for the "Dumbass GOP Politician" moniker, based on his own words.

Quote:
"I can no longer call myself a fellow Republican. I'm not a fellow of anything right now," he told CNN's Fareed Zakaria on "GPS." "I'm just a citizen who has voted Republican, voted Democrat throughout my entire career. And right now, I'm just watching my country and not concerned with parties."
We probably need a new thread where we can just laugh about anyone who died of Covid, I guess?
Old 18th October 2021, 06:19 AM   #582
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

I would not put him under the heading of "Dumbass GOP politician".

Quote:
After his time in government Powell remained a hugely influential commentator on US politics and public life. Over the years he grew increasingly distanced from his own Republican party, disillusioned by its rightward drift.

In 2008, despite party rivalries, he endorsed Barack Obama for president. When Donald Trump launched his bid for the White House, Powell became one of his leading critics.

He voted against Trump in both 2016 and 2020 and was scathing about leading Republicans who remained silent or actively embraced Trump’s lies. His excoriating criticism of Trump continued until months before he died – in January he said he was so disgusted by the insurrection of Trump supporters at the US Capitol that he no longer considered himself to be a Republican.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-dies-covid-84

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
The only thing sad about it is that the victims of his warmongering didn't get to burn him alive.

Gotta take the W's we can in these dire times, rest in piss loser.
Awesome comment.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2021, 08:34 AM   #583
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Nope, he was fully vaccinated, he just got screwed by reality.

Now, if you want to argue he was a dumbass for some other reason, who just happened to die of CVID, go for it, but I don't think his case fits the thread.
Old 18th October 2021, 09:02 AM   #584
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Arguably he wasn't a Republican any more either.
Old 18th October 2021, 12:02 PM   #585
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

How was he a dumbass?

Never mind, question answered, he was definitely a dumbass when it came to falling for the Bush admin WMD lies.

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I would not put him under the heading of "Dumbass GOP politician".
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Nope, he was fully vaccinated, he just got screwed by reality.

Now, if you want to argue he was a dumbass for some other reason, who just happened to die of CVID, go for it, but I don't think his case fits the thread.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 18th October 2021 at 12:06 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2021, 01:10 PM   #586
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

I apologize for listing Colin Powell here, for all the reasons you guys have pointed out.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2021, 01:19 PM   #587
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'm saying it's not deadly enough to sustain a thread about politicians dying of covid. Politicians, as a class, just aren't that high risk.

I was responding to the suggestion that the thread should really be about more than just politicians.
Old 18th October 2021, 01:20 PM   #588
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

By restricting it to only politicians, he's attempting to downplay how deadly Covid is. How deadly it is to politicians is not how we measure how deadly Covid is.
The thread topic is restricted to politicians. That's the OP's restriction, not mine.
Old 18th October 2021, 01:22 PM   #589
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Also, Colin Powell was battling cancer that attacked his white blood cells.
Old 18th October 2021, 01:31 PM   #590
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

The thread topic is restricted to politicians. That's the OP's restriction, not mine.
And it drifted outside that limitation some time ago. What you're doing is trying to restrict it to that limitation in order to declare it's "not that deadly'.
Old 18th October 2021, 01:40 PM   #591
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

And it drifted outside that limitation some time ago. What you're doing is trying to restrict it to that limitation in order to declare it's "not that deadly'.
To be fair, it's not that deadly to higher level GOP politicians because, as has been exhaustively mentioned here, the higher level ghouls are all fully vaccinated and are at fairly low risk. If this country had the same vaccination rate as Fox News staff we'd have this thing dealt with.

While some GOP politicians are dying of this thing, most of the misery is being inflicted on ordinary right-wing poisoned people who don't realize it's all a grift. I guess we'll see some more minor politicians and maybe a few more radio shock jocks, but most of the party leadership and other high prominence politicians are fully inoculated (and probably got their shots well before it was available to us ordinary folk)
Old 18th October 2021, 01:55 PM   #592
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Also, Colin Powell was battling cancer that attacked his white blood cells.
Multiple myeloma which severely lowered his immune system's efficacy. Sadly, he was also scheduled to get his booster shot just before he came down with C19.

Powell did much to regain my respect when he publicly admitted that he was wrong about Iraq, that he had believed the faulty intelligence from the National Intelligence Estimate from 16 intelligence agencies. He said he regretted that UN speech:

Quote:
“I regret it. I will always regret it. It was a terrible mistake on all our parts and on the intelligence community … I wish it had been different, I wish I had more time. Maybe if I had another week or two my instincts would have seen through this or been able to do double-checking, but I didn’t have more time. But I’m not looking for an excuse. I gave that presentation. I gave it believing that everything I had said had been double-sourced, triple-sourced, and was accurate, but it was not.”

That speech, by the way, was written by Cheney's office which Powell did not know until years later. He thought it had come from the National Security Office. He also met with the CIA to certain the claims about WMB were true. It wasn't until later that 'it all fell apart'.

This is an interesting interview with Powell about how and why it happened.
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/a...gence-failure/
Old 18th October 2021, 02:16 PM   #593
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

No. I'm saying that the drift is understandable, as the original limitation didn't make for a lively thread. Covid simply isn't so deadly as to kill a lot of politicians, as a class. Do you really think politicians, with the healthcare they have access to, are at high risk for dying from Covid? The number of GOP politicians who (a) refused the vaccine, (b) caught the virus, (c) lacked adequate medical care, (d) lacked any comorbidities, and (e) died of covid, has to be pretty small. Hence opening the thread up to other "dumbasses" who died of Covid or comorbidities with Covid.
Old 19th October 2021, 12:33 AM   #594
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Does anyone know how we can request a "Jesus H Christ on a Pogo Stick" gif emoji?
Old 19th October 2021, 04:21 AM   #595
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Does anyone know how we can request a "Jesus H Christ on a Pogo Stick" gif emoji?
Have you tried prayer?
Old 19th October 2021, 09:42 AM   #596
kevbo
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Have you tried prayer?
kevbo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2021, 02:04 PM   #597
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It seems like you're choosing to misunderstand my point on purpose, and get outraged about something I'm not saying.
Old 19th October 2021, 07:06 PM   #598
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Have you tried prayer?
Yeah. Never worked. Gave that up when I was 15.
Old 19th October 2021, 07:07 PM   #599
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

It seems like you're choosing to misunderstand my point on purpose, and get outraged about something I'm not saying.
Nah, I'm just ignoring you for the most part.
Old 19th October 2021, 08:03 PM   #600
kevbo
Critical Thinker

Yeah. Never worked. Gave that up when I was 15.
Always reminds me of this.

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me."

- Emo Philips
kevbo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics