IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 13th October 2021, 04:57 PM   #3321
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The great American West
Posts: 20,955
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Oh please. Anyone who owns a rowing boat knows a bit of water in the boat is normal. These Vikings were master boat builders and sailors. Sure, it may have taken five hundred years to perfect their skill but perfect, they did.
So your supposition trumps historical fact? Did they teach a lot of shipbuilding history in accounting school? Again, the most well-known thing about Viking ships is how important it was to keep them bailed out, lest they founder.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 04:59 PM   #3322
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The great American West
Posts: 20,955
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
The attached diagram shows exactly what Professor Westermann examined.
The statements she made about no signs of contact deformation were made specifically in conjunction with the three specimens on which she performed microscopic metallurgical analysis. I watched the press conference.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 05:02 PM   #3323
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 18,574
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Problem is, there are no witnesses as to when the bow visor fell off and no witnesses as to the car ramp being open, other than a 10º gap at the top, and even this is presumed based on the word of one of the crew who only saw it on a monitor, and even then he described water coming in through the sides, not the top.

There are a lot of assumptions here which have never been proven.

The assumption - which all points to being a false premise - is that it was a facsimile of the Herald of Free Enterprise accident, and therefore they had to postulate that in order for that to have happened, the bow visor and car ramp needed to be not there.

However, there are plenty of doubts about this:
  • the Captain didn't steer the ship towards shallow water
  • the car ramp was often secured with a hewser as the locks didn't align
  • if it was secured to a capstan/windlass then it could not have been torn open (unless you are arguing the waves also cut through thick rope and a cast iron capstan
  • the original Rockwater divers found the ramp shut and thus could not enter the car deck (they claimed)
  • Arikas of OJK (July 2021) and Kurm for Mare Liberatum (Sept 2021) both found it hanging open
  • Kurm discovered that contrary to the JAIC hypothesis water and airpressure smashed Deck 4 windows, the car deck doors can be seen to be intact and shut.

No. Just because you believe that the investigators jumped to the conclusion that the cause of this accident was the same as in the HOFE disaster, and that only then (again, per your belief) did they go searching for things to justify their assumption.....

....doesn't make it actually so. And of course it isn't so.

The true reason why the investigators arrived at their conclusions is that they did a proper investigation. The most important part of that investigation was the survey of the wreck and the surrounding seabed. They found that the bow visor was lying on its own, some considerable distance from the ship. From the bow visor's position, and its position relative to the ship, they could safely conclude that the visor had detached from the ship at surface level, many minutes before the ship sank.

Next, they found that the lugs on the hull-side portion of the visor's bottom lock had catastrophically failed. Further analysis showed that the failure was due to a combination of cumulative fatigue and the stresses placed on the lock that night.

And finally, they found that the bow ramp's structural integrity had been significantly compromised, and that this must have happened when the bow ramp tore itself free from the ship.

And that, Vixen, is how/why the investigators reached the conclusion - the correct conclusion - that the failure/detachment of the bow visor, coupled with the compromising of the bow ramp, had allowed sea water to cascade onto the vehicle deck. And fortunately they - unlike you - understood enough about marine engineering and shipbuilding to be able to calculate the fatal effect that this rate and mass of water ingress would have upon the viability of the ship.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 05:04 PM   #3324
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 25,740
Originally Posted by Kid Eager View Post
Where is the nearest shallow water to where the MS Estonia sank?
As you can see on the attached relief map, there are some quick shallow waters towards the North East. The wind was a brisk blustery westerly so to turn into it as it did was to turn fully head on to the 6m waves. Had it turned away towards the north east, if the only problem was water on the car deck, that would have had the effect of being able to wash the water away, either through the open car ramp or via the scuppers. That is what the captain should have done. Andresson was highly disciplined and well-trained so the JAIC should have made more of an effort to find out what happened to him. We only have Linde's word he was on the bridge. a most unreliable witness, who originally named three or four guys other than the ones he finally settled on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg JAIC_GGE_map.jpeg (101.0 KB, 7 views)
__________________
Blott en dag, ett ögonblick i sänder,

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 05:08 PM   #3325
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 18,574
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
The Vikings had large steel ships? Maybe you don't possess the critical acumen required.

*sigh*

I had only ever introduced Viking longships as a means to an end (the "end" here being trying to help you understand your ignorance about this whole "turning turtle" nonsense.

But if you wish to keep things strictly to a comparison with Viking ships in this little drift....

.....then a plastic/fibreglass dinghy with sealed air ballast chambers is a totally different kettle of fish from a Viking longship.

Does that help?
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 05:08 PM   #3326
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 25,740
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
How does that stop the boat sinking if it fills with water?
Why do you think the Vikings avoided sailing in rough weather?
Even the Estline, Silja and Viking Line ships in 1994 never sailed when severe weather was forecast.
__________________
Blott en dag, ett ögonblick i sänder,

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 05:09 PM   #3327
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 37,572
How would the water 'wash away'? turning away from the waves after the bow visor was gone would have made no difference, the ship would still be plunging in to the sea. Turning away before the bow visor was gone would have eased the strain on it and maybe saved the sghip but in a storm the last thing you do is head in to shallow water or a lee shore.
If the ship had beached in 6 meter waves it would have been pounded to pieces.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 13th October 2021 at 05:20 PM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 05:09 PM   #3328
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 25,740
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
So your supposition trumps historical fact? Did they teach a lot of shipbuilding history in accounting school? Again, the most well-known thing about Viking ships is how important it was to keep them bailed out, lest they founder.
Note how they had very strong keels, a quite broad base and high sides.
__________________
Blott en dag, ett ögonblick i sänder,

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 05:11 PM   #3329
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 18,574
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Sorry, are you claiming the Vikings knew nothing about buoyancy?

I strongly advise you to take a good look at the longboat design and then come back and say they knew nothing about buoyancy.

Gosh. This is quite a breathtaking leap of logic from you, even by your standards.

(Or perhaps you'd like to point out to me a) how/why you think I stated or implied that "the Vikings knew nothing about buoyancy" in the post of mine to which you responded here, and/or b) where/how/why I stated or implied that anywhere else in this thread?)
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 05:16 PM   #3330
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 18,574
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
The attached diagram shows exactly what Professor Westermann examined.

I think he knows that.

Now, when you take those three bow visor sections combined, what rough proportion of the whole bow visor would you say they comprised?
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 05:17 PM   #3331
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 25,740
Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
No. Just because you believe that the investigators jumped to the conclusion that the cause of this accident was the same as in the HOFE disaster, and that only then (again, per your belief) did they go searching for things to justify their assumption.....

....doesn't make it actually so. And of course it isn't so.

The true reason why the investigators arrived at their conclusions is that they did a proper investigation. The most important part of that investigation was the survey of the wreck and the surrounding seabed. They found that the bow visor was lying on its own, some considerable distance from the ship. From the bow visor's position, and its position relative to the ship, they could safely conclude that the visor had detached from the ship at surface level, many minutes before the ship sank.

Next, they found that the lugs on the hull-side portion of the visor's bottom lock had catastrophically failed. Further analysis showed that the failure was due to a combination of cumulative fatigue and the stresses placed on the lock that night.

And finally, they found that the bow ramp's structural integrity had been significantly compromised, and that this must have happened when the bow ramp tore itself free from the ship.

And that, Vixen, is how/why the investigators reached the conclusion - the correct conclusion - that the failure/detachment of the bow visor, coupled with the compromising of the bow ramp, had allowed sea water to cascade onto the vehicle deck. And fortunately they - unlike you - understood enough about marine engineering and shipbuilding to be able to calculate the fatal effect that this rate and mass of water ingress would have upon the viability of the ship.
If only your assumption had some basis in reality! In fact, it was the Estonian members who were the naval and marine experts. The Swedish and Finnish JAIC panel members were a mish mash of lawyers, and sundry such types more used to jaw-jaw than draw-draw. Because of the Swedish refusal to give Finland and Estonia full access or look at any other scenario, this is what lead to the two Estonian successive heads resigning and massive infighting all round. Kurm notified the JAIC, as Chief Prosecutor of the concerning starboard findings. Lehtola promised to look into it and delayed publication but in the end he published Carl Bildt's Day One theory and washed his hands of it.
__________________
Blott en dag, ett ögonblick i sänder,

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 05:18 PM   #3332
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The great American West
Posts: 20,955
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Note how they had very strong keels, a quite broad base and high sides.
A strong keel has nothing to do with buoyancy. A broad base has nothing to do with buoyancy, although it does give them greater roll stability. Viking ships had notoriously low sides, leading to little reserve freeboard. That has nothing to do with buoyancy, however. They also had notoriously thin strakes, so the tolerances on the seams were hard to maintain. Hence they often leaked. Hence they had to be constantly bailed or else they would founder. That has everything to do with buoyancy.

And yes, they do teach the history of shipbuilding in engineering school. Also, one of our special projects involving additive manufacturing was to produce a physical model of a Viking longboat with accurate mass properties. And yes of course we float-tested it.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 05:20 PM   #3333
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 18,574
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
If only your assumption had some basis in reality! In fact, it was the Estonian members who were the naval and marine experts. The Swedish and Finnish JAIC panel members were a mish mash of lawyers, and sundry such types more used to jaw-jaw than draw-draw. Because of the Swedish refusal to give Finland and Estonia full access or look at any other scenario, this is what lead to the two Estonian successive heads resigning and massive infighting all round. Kurm notified the JAIC, as Chief Prosecutor of the concerning starboard findings. Lehtola promised to look into it and delayed publication but in the end he published Carl Bildt's Day One theory and washed his hands of it.


What are you referring to as "my assumption" here?
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 05:20 PM   #3334
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The great American West
Posts: 20,955
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
...it was the Estonian members who were the naval and marine experts. The Swedish and Finnish JAIC panel members were a mish mash of lawyers...
You don't have a problem with Estonian lawyers. You have a major problem with the Estonian naval experts who estimated that the newly discovered hole in the starboard side did not allow a flood rate fast enough to sink the ship in half an hour. Your decision about who is qualified and who is not seems to follow nationality more than it does actual occupational expertise.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 05:21 PM   #3335
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 37,572
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Note how they had very strong keels, a quite broad base and high sides.
What does that have to do with them sinking if they fill with water?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 05:25 PM   #3336
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The great American West
Posts: 20,955
Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
I think he knows that.

Now, when you take those three bow visor sections combined, what rough proportion of the whole bow visor would you say they comprised?
Actually the three "evidence areas" outlined in that photo have nothing to do with Prof. Westermann's three specimens. She did not take a sample from each of those three areas or examine each of those areas in detail. She took three samples from one of the evidence areas, a few centimeters apart. One was a control sample, to provide a baseline for crystallography. She then took two experiment samples, measuring a few centimeters in each dimension. It is these samples that she says are devoid of evidence of contact deformation, comprising at most a few dozen square centimeters of the entire 55-tonne structure.

Vixen is trying to conflate the findings of the metallurgist with the attendant claims by the politician. I have zero interest in what the non-technical participants in the investigation have to say on technical matters.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 05:26 PM   #3337
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 25,740
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
How owuld the water 'wash away'? turning away from the waves after the bow visor was gone would have made no difference, the ship would still be plunging in to the sea. Turning away before the bow visor was gone would have eased the strain on it and maybe saved the sghip but in a storm the last thing you do is head in to shallow water or a lee shore.
If the ship had beached in 6 meter waves it would have been pounded to pieces.
The car deck is well above the waterline, so any excess water washes away, just like on any other deck on a ship. Nobody knows when the bow visor fell off but the JAIC put the time at 1:15, which means it sunk in just over half an hour at 1:48. Now the Jan Heweliusz a car ro-ro which was in terrible condition (repaired by concrete) capsized, killing about 58. However, that didn't sink for five days, notwithstanding its grossly negligent state. So the Estonia sinking as fast as it did should have been a huge flag.

Now, if an explosive blew the bow visor off, that would also explain the deformation on the car ramp stiffeners, and likewise the preceding/simultaneous breach to the starboard. Now that would explain why the Estonia sank like the Wilhelm Gustloff and not the Jan Heweliusz.
__________________
Blott en dag, ett ögonblick i sänder,

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 05:26 PM   #3338
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 37,572
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
A strong keel has nothing to do with buoyancy. A broad base has nothing to do with buoyancy, although it does give them greater roll stability. Viking ships had notoriously low sides, leading to little reserve freeboard. That has nothing to do with buoyancy, however. They also had notoriously thin strakes, so the tolerances on the seams were hard to maintain. Hence they often leaked. Hence they had to be constantly bailed or else they would founder. That has everything to do with buoyancy.

And yes, they do teach the history of shipbuilding in engineering school. Also, one of our special projects involving additive manufacturing was to produce a physical model of a Viking longboat with accurate mass properties. And yes of course we float-tested it.
They were caulked when the hull was dry and relied on the timber swelling when wet to keep them watertight. Their timbers were always 'working' and there was as you say a constant leak at the seams.
Contrary to popular myth the Vikings were coastal sailors, long open sea passages were quite rare.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 05:30 PM   #3339
Kid Eager
Philosopher
 
Kid Eager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,296
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
The car deck is well above the waterline, so any excess water washes away, just like on any other deck on a ship. Nobody knows when the bow visor fell off but the JAIC put the time at 1:15, which means it sunk in just over half an hour at 1:48. Now the Jan Heweliusz a car ro-ro which was in terrible condition (repaired by concrete) capsized, killing about 58. However, that didn't sink for five days, notwithstanding its grossly negligent state. So the Estonia sinking as fast as it did should have been a huge flag.

Now, if an explosive blew the bow visor off, that would also explain the deformation on the car ramp stiffeners, and likewise the preceding/simultaneous breach to the starboard. Now that would explain why the Estonia sank like the Wilhelm Gustloff and not the Jan Heweliusz.
But even *if* explosives were used, it would have made no difference whatsoever because according to Vixen Physics, "The car deck is well above the waterline, so any excess water washes away, just like on any other deck on a ship."
__________________
What do Narwhals, Magnets and Apollo 13 have in common? Think about it....
Kid Eager is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 05:31 PM   #3340
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 25,740
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
A strong keel has nothing to do with buoyancy. A broad base has nothing to do with buoyancy, although it does give them greater roll stability. Viking ships had notoriously low sides, leading to little reserve freeboard. That has nothing to do with buoyancy, however. They also had notoriously thin strakes, so the tolerances on the seams were hard to maintain. Hence they often leaked. Hence they had to be constantly bailed or else they would founder. That has everything to do with buoyancy.

And yes, they do teach the history of shipbuilding in engineering school. Also, one of our special projects involving additive manufacturing was to produce a physical model of a Viking longboat with accurate mass properties. And yes of course we float-tested it.
Can I ask whether you have considered simulating the Estonia accident?
__________________
Blott en dag, ett ögonblick i sänder,

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 05:32 PM   #3341
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 25,740
Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
What are you referring to as "my assumption" here?
Your assumption they were all expert engineers privy to all of the facts.
__________________
Blott en dag, ett ögonblick i sänder,

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 05:34 PM   #3342
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The great American West
Posts: 20,955
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
They were caulked when the hull was dry and relied on the timber swelling when wet to keep them watertight.
As do the clinker-built boats hanging from the davits of the otherwise highly irrelevant frigate model a few pages back. The Royal Navy of the Napoleonic era would occasionally tow their boats so that their strakes would not dry out and open the seams.

Quote:
Their timbers were always 'working' and there was as you say a constant leak at the seams.
In shell construction, as in many types of shipbuilding, the shell layer is structural. The thin strakes in Viking ships meant the ships were lighter and therefore more buoyant. But the constant stress means the strakes underwent more strain than thicker-straked boats of similar design and were more prone to open seams even when suitably waterlogged.

Quote:
Contrary to popular myth the Vikings were coastal sailors, long open sea passages were quite rare.
And the Viking long boats are perfect examples of littoral craft.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 05:34 PM   #3343
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 18,574
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
The car deck is well above the waterline, so any excess water washes away, just like on any other deck on a ship. Nobody knows when the bow visor fell off but the JAIC put the time at 1:15, which means it sunk in just over half an hour at 1:48. Now the Jan Heweliusz a car ro-ro which was in terrible condition (repaired by concrete) capsized, killing about 58. However, that didn't sink for five days, notwithstanding its grossly negligent state. So the Estonia sinking as fast as it did should have been a huge flag.

Now, if an explosive blew the bow visor off, that would also explain the deformation on the car ramp stiffeners, and likewise the preceding/simultaneous breach to the starboard. Now that would explain why the Estonia sank like the Wilhelm Gustloff and not the Jan Heweliusz.


If you're correct, then why did the Herald of Free Enterprise sink - given that it's a certainty that HOFE sank because its vehicle deck flooded through open bow doors? And why did HOFE sink even more quickly that the Estonia?


(Hint: the answer is that you're not correct. You don't know what you're talking about.)
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 05:35 PM   #3344
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Antimemetics Division
Posts: 55,028
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Can I ask whether you have considered simulating the Estonia accident?
No. No you can't. With the number of unanswered questions you're currently avoiding, I don't think you're in a position to ask any new questions of your own.
__________________
There is no Antimemetics Division.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 05:35 PM   #3345
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The great American West
Posts: 20,955
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Can I ask whether you have considered simulating the Estonia accident?
No. Nice try at a distractive pivot, though. Would you care to respond to the actual relevant points in the post you quoted?
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 05:39 PM   #3346
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 18,574
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Your assumption they were all expert engineers privy to all of the facts.

Where did I state/imply this as an assumption?

In fact, my assumptions are these: 1) there was sufficient expertise (including, of course, the engagement of external specialists in their fields to contribute to the gathering of evidence and its analysis); and 2) they had enough (more than enough) evidence upon which to draw a robust & reliable conclusion about the cause of the disaster.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 05:40 PM   #3347
lobosrul5
Master Poster
 
lobosrul5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 2,658
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
The car deck is well above the waterline, so any excess water washes away, just like on any other deck on a ship. Nobody knows when the bow visor fell off but the JAIC put the time at 1:15, which means it sunk in just over half an hour at 1:48. Now the Jan Heweliusz a car ro-ro which was in terrible condition (repaired by concrete) capsized, killing about 58. However, that didn't sink for five days, notwithstanding its grossly negligent state. So the Estonia sinking as fast as it did should have been a huge flag.

Now, if an explosive blew the bow visor off, that would also explain the deformation on the car ramp stiffeners, and likewise the preceding/simultaneous breach to the starboard. Now that would explain why the Estonia sank like the Wilhelm Gustloff and not the Jan Heweliusz.
So the Estonia couldn't sink as fast as some other ship due to her now visor being ripped off but it could if the visor was blown off... Hookah.

I wasn't really sure either way but now I strongly suspect you're trolling.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 05:41 PM   #3348
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 25,740
Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
If you're correct, then why did the Herald of Free Enterprise sink - given that it's a certainty that HOFE sank because its vehicle deck flooded through open bow doors? And why did HOFE sink even more quickly that the Estonia?


(Hint: the answer is that you're not correct. You don't know what you're talking about.)
It did not sink. It lay on its side on a shallow bank. Had the doors come open mid-sea - and there is no reason why the boatswain would have done this - then it would have capsized and immediately turtled upside down - just like the Jan Heweliusz.
__________________
Blott en dag, ett ögonblick i sänder,

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 05:47 PM   #3349
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 18,574
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
It did not sink.

Yes. Yes it did.



Quote:
It lay on its side on a shallow bank.

Yes. Because it capsized and sank.



Quote:
Had the doors come open mid-sea - and there is no reason why the boatswain would have done this - then it would have capsized and immediately turtled upside down - just like the Jan Heweliusz.

No. It. Would. Not.

You simply don't know what you're talking about.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 05:53 PM   #3350
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 37,572
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
It did not sink. It lay on its side on a shallow bank. Had the doors come open mid-sea - and there is no reason why the boatswain would have done this - then it would have capsized and immediately turtled upside down - just like the Jan Heweliusz.
What is your evidence for this?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 06:08 PM   #3351
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The great American West
Posts: 20,955
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
What is your evidence for this?
"Mr. Archimedes? Five minutes, please."
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 06:20 PM   #3352
junkshop
Critical Thinker
 
junkshop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Under the bed. Whose bed, you ask? That would be telling...sleep tight.
Posts: 456
Psst, hey Vixen..over here...ssh, act natural, yeah?...word to the wise, these folks, they got knowledge. They ain't like us plebs, they know metallurgy, they know welding, they know boats!
****, some o'them even served in navies! Best not try to school 'em on bouyancy or any of that crap, they'll only go and use their provable facts to undermine your arguments. It ain't worth it fam, just sayin' right?

****, Cap'n Swoop's seen us, scarper!
__________________
Not a Cockney.

Last edited by junkshop; 13th October 2021 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Added' they know boats!', and removed a 'have'
junkshop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 06:42 PM   #3353
whoanellie
Muse
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 995
Originally Posted by junkshop View Post
Psst, hey Vixen..over here...ssh, act natural, yeah?...word to the wise, these folks, they got knowledge. They ain't like us plebs, they know metallurgy, they know welding, they know boats!
****, some o'them even served in navies! Best not try to school 'em on bouyancy or any of that crap, they'll only go and use their provable facts to undermine your arguments. It ain't worth it fam, just sayin' right?

****, Cap'n Swoop's seen us, scarper!
^^^THIS^^^
There are clearly posters here who know something (quite a bit actually) about the design, construction, and operation of ships. If Vixen were 'wise' she'd figure that out, realize that she is out of her depth, and head to shallow water. If...

Last edited by whoanellie; 13th October 2021 at 07:06 PM.
whoanellie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 06:46 PM   #3354
whoanellie
Muse
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 995
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
[*]the car ramp was often secured with a hewser as the locks didn't align[*]if it was secured to a capstan/windlass then it could not have been torn open (unless you are arguing the waves also cut through thick rope and a cast iron capstan[/list][/indent]
The car ramp was secured with a rope?
whoanellie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 07:22 PM   #3355
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 22,866
Originally Posted by whoanellie View Post
The car ramp was secured with a rope?
Hard to tell. "hewser" appears to be a mexican marketing company. What they have to do with it is anyone's guess.

Vixen likely meant "hawser" I suppose.

If one is unable to spell it, how likely is it that one knows what it is?
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 07:26 PM   #3356
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 22,866
Originally Posted by whoanellie View Post
The car ramp was secured with a rope?
Nope. A bunch of these guys were holding it closed.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 07:30 PM   #3357
Reformed Offlian
Muse
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: USA
Posts: 653
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Oh please. Anyone who owns a rowing boat knows a bit of water in the boat is normal. These Vikings were master boat builders and sailors. Sure, it may have taken five hundred years to perfect their skill but perfect, they did.
And yet, they still bailed their boats. It was commonplace enough that some of the sagas even describe it (Grettir's Saga, IIRC)
Reformed Offlian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 07:39 PM   #3358
Axxman300
Philosopher
 
Axxman300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central California Coast
Posts: 5,733
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Problem is, there are no witnesses as to when the bow visor fell off and no witnesses as to the car ramp being open, other than a 10º gap at the top, and even this is presumed based on the word of one of the crew who only saw it on a monitor, and even then he described water coming in through the sides, not the top.

There are a lot of assumptions here which have never been proven.

The assumption - which all points to being a false premise - is that it was a facsimile of the Herald of Free Enterprise accident, and therefore they had to postulate that in order for that to have happened, the bow visor and car ramp needed to be not there.

However, there are plenty of doubts about this:
  • the Captain didn't steer the ship towards shallow water
  • the car ramp was often secured with a hewser as the locks didn't align
  • if it was secured to a capstan/windlass then it could not have been torn open (unless you are arguing the waves also cut through thick rope and a cast iron capstan
  • the original Rockwater divers found the ramp shut and thus could not enter the car deck (they claimed)
  • Arikas of OJK (July 2021) and Kurm for Mare Liberatum (Sept 2021) both found it hanging open
  • Kurm discovered that contrary to the JAIC hypothesis water and airpressure smashed Deck 4 windows, the car deck doors can be seen to be intact and shut.
Everything you've written here is wrong.

1. The visor could not have detached from the ship without wrenching the ramp open due to the design.

Sorry to burst your bubble but it happened. How do we know it happened? The obvious answer is it is now completely detached from the ship, the joints or hinges or whatever held the ramp in place were OBVIOUSLY damaged. The stern ramp and ramp cover are still locked in place.

The divers found the ramp closed, but never checked to see if it was secured (not sure how they'd do that) and the forces involved with a large ship sinking combined with rough seas the ramp shutting on its own is well within reason.

2. The crewman reported water coming into the car deck BECAUSE IT WAS UNUSUAL, and occurred AFTER a large wave struck the ship. What he saw was just the beginning part of the disaster and the visor had been knocked loose but was still in place. I think the crewman would have mentioned the ramp being opened.

3. The Captain was clearly inept. The engineering crew was lazy.

Oh, and the car deck being above the waterline is relative in high seas.
__________________
Disingenuous Piranha
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 07:41 PM   #3359
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The great American West
Posts: 20,955
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Vixen likely meant "hawser" I suppose.
Right up there with helyards, lunyards, farestays, and bruces.

Quote:
If one is unable to spell it, how likely is it that one knows what it is?
It's as if she doesn't have a clew.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th October 2021, 08:03 PM   #3360
Kid Eager
Philosopher
 
Kid Eager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,296
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Right up there with helyards, lunyards, farestays, and bruces.



It's as if she doesn't have a clew.
I've go a spare finial transom here to clog that clew for you. Also a spectacle clew if your eyesight is lacking. (checks old sea chest) I've also got a bunch of other nautical terms I haven't used for years, if you need extra. Some of them are even real terms...
__________________
What do Narwhals, Magnets and Apollo 13 have in common? Think about it....
Kid Eager is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:21 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.