IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th October 2021, 04:37 PM   #601
stanfr
Graduate Poster

(deleted)
ok since I can't delete my post, I will speculate that both Petito and Laundrie were actually the first victims of the government's secret covid vaccine genocide scheme. They were on to it and had to be eliminated.

Last edited by stanfr; 20th October 2021 at 05:01 PM.
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2021, 04:38 PM   #602
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Today I learned that Google Maps is terrible with short distances. I checked it on Google Earth and the place the police set up is actually a little over half a mile from the parking lot.
Old 20th October 2021, 05:24 PM   #603
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Click bait headlines of "5 bodies found". Gabby, the hiker missing for a while near Gabby, this one in the swamp, two more???

Were there multiple remains with the back pack?
It is sorta true. Remains of at least 5 individuals as a result of searches triggered by this case. What makes it click bait is that the impression is given that they were all found in the same area. They were not, The closest is Robert Lowery, about 40 miles from the Laundrie site. Suicide.

Of the remaining 4, one is California, one is Utah, two are North Carolina. All are named.

And the connection between those places? Gabby and Brian visited each of them on their road trip, so in the search for clues, those locations were searched.

Seems rather tenuous to me, but that is how clickbait works.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2021, 11:32 PM   #604
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
From the CNN article:

It doesn't sound like they went there alone, it sounds like they met the police there. That article also states that they found the items as one. So the parents weren't off on their own or anything. It's phrased strange though, here's the quote:

The article implies that law enforcement has searched here before and this is a trail that Brian frequented. How come no one saw this stuff before? Something is setting off my BS meter.
Are you thinking the stuff was planted?
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2021, 05:14 AM   #605
Warp12
Master Poster

Quote:
Steve Bertolino, the attorney representing the Laundrie family, confirms to Fox News Digital that the "probability is high" that remains found Wednesday in a Florida park belong to Brian.

Bertolino also told Fox News Digital he and the parents were "always cooperating with law enforcement with respect to locating Brian."
Seems like we might be getting close to the end of this manhunt.
Old 21st October 2021, 05:48 AM   #606
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I suppose it's why the story has "legs" -- so many mysteries, twists and turns and questions. After all the focus on Gabby, the media got some backlash as to why they rarely covered any other missing women, specifically of color. Well, CNN did do that for about a day, but we don't see it any more.

This is going to make an interesting Forensic Files two-hour special. Or mini-series.
Old 21st October 2021, 06:21 AM   #607
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Are you thinking the stuff was planted?
No, I think the parents know/knew more than they're letting on.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2021, 07:03 AM   #608
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
Well, it certainly is very strange. That place has been searched for over a month by local police, sheriff's offices, FBI, swamp buggies, dive teams, K9 units, cadaver dogs, helicopters, airplanes, FLIR systems, etc. Brian's father even went out to help one day and point out the places he frequented. They threw everything that had at this place for weeks.

Then the day the park opens, the parents go in and find him about a minute's walk from the park entrance.

That seems unbelievable. It is so absurd. But I don't see any conspiracy. Just another strange quirk.

It isn't clear who found what. Fox Digit News reported that they over heard police telling the parents to go home because they might have found something. So it sounds like the parents went to the spot but the police founds the items and remains. But the lawyer said early on that articles belonging to Brian were found. So the parents may have found the backpack and then the police found the remains.

I think the parents went to that spot. It seems like a logical place. If he went there to kill himself I would expect that he just wanted to die in the woods and wouldn't go too far in unless he went to some favorite spot. But he wouldn't go off to some remote corner.

It is simply amazing that police had not found anything there and even more amazing that the parents then find it after only a brief search on the first day they are out there.

Yes.

I idly wonder whether either a) he'd told his parents exactly where he was going to go to kill himself (and that this is how they might have been able to seemingly head straight towards that spot), or b) there was a particular spot which for some reason had resonance for him, and that his parents were also aware of (and that this is how his parents might have been able to seemingly head straight towards that spot)?

Also.... the official mention of "partial" human remains puts me in mind (unfortunately) of alligators and Burmese pythons.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2021, 07:11 AM   #609
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

No, I think the parents know/knew more than they're letting on.

As I said above, I sort of wonder the same thing too.

But then again, even if his parents did have some form of knowledge of where he'd gone, I can't immediately see how it would have been worth their while in any way to deliberately hide this knowledge from the authorities. After all, it makes little or no difference to the case whether his body was found the day after he killed himself or a month after he killed himself. And arguably, his parents would have had a vested interest in having his body found sooner rather than later, if they wanted him to be in any sort of reasonable shape for a funeral etc.

On the other hand.... one thought that's just occurred to me is that it's just about feasible (IMO) that his parents - and he himself, for that matter - might have been hoping that his body would have gone undiscovered for so long that it would never be found - that way, there'd be maybe the slightest salvaging of dignity for his parents, owing to the inability to put this case completely to bed?
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2021, 07:40 AM   #610
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
As I said above, I sort of wonder the same thing too.

But then again, even if his parents did have some form of knowledge of where he'd gone, I can't immediately see how it would have been worth their while in any way to deliberately hide this knowledge from the authorities. After all, it makes little or no difference to the case whether his body was found the day after he killed himself or a month after he killed himself. And arguably, his parents would have had a vested interest in having his body found sooner rather than later, if they wanted him to be in any sort of reasonable shape for a funeral etc.

On the other hand.... one thought that's just occurred to me is that it's just about feasible (IMO) that his parents - and he himself, for that matter - might have been hoping that his body would have gone undiscovered for so long that it would never be found - that way, there'd be maybe the slightest salvaging of dignity for his parents, owing to the inability to put this case completely to bed?
All of that is possible. I don't think he intended to kill himself. Why bring a backpack, supplies, etc. if your plan is to kill yourself? I think his plan was to hideout for a bit until things start dying down, or he went out there to let defensive wounds heal, or something like that. Then **** hit the fan (either he was attacked by an animal, the water became an issue, or something like that) and he ended up dying. I think maybe his parents weren't quite sure either, and once they heard that the water went down they wanted to go see for themselves.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2021, 07:40 AM   #611
Olmstead
Muse

I don't think that he and his parents had a nuanced discussion on the practical applications of his suicide.

If they did, I can already tell them why they've raised a murderer.
Olmstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2021, 08:01 AM   #612
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

I idly wonder whether either a) he'd told his parents exactly where he was going to go to kill himself (and that this is how they might have been able to seemingly head straight towards that spot), or b) there was a particular spot which for some reason had resonance for him, and that his parents were also aware of (and that this is how his parents might have been able to seemingly head straight towards that spot)?
I just check multiple links, they all say it was a trail he frequented.

I don't think he intended to kill himself. Why bring a backpack, supplies, etc. if your plan is to kill yourself?
Where did you see anything about supplies? Articles I just checked say backpack and notebook.

(either he was attacked by an animal, the water became an issue, or something like that)
This is a park with marked trails and it looks like he was found very near a marked trail. What you're describing would be a very unusual event.

Up until yesterday it was plausible to speculate about a lot of things, but right now, this appears to be a situation that is actually simply what it appears to be.
The simplest explanation, short of them saying it turns out not to be his body, is that he suicided in the spot that his parents pointed the authorities at about a month ago.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2021, 08:37 AM   #613
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Where did you see anything about supplies? Articles I just checked say backpack and notebook.
Well they found a dry bag, and the backpack, and the notebook. I guess I assumed that the dry bag and backpack had something more than just the notebook in it. I guess, admittedly, I don't know that. I guess he could have just brought multiple empty bags with him.

This is a park with marked trails and it looks like he was found very near a marked trail. What you're describing would be a very unusual event.
Which part? The animal attack? The water becoming an issue? I'm not sure which part seems out of character for this area.

Up until yesterday it was plausible to speculate about a lot of things, but right now, this appears to be a situation that is actually simply what it appears to be. The simplest explanation, short of them saying it turns out not to be his body, is that he suicided in the spot that his parents pointed the authorities at about a month ago.
Maybe, I'm not arguing that what you're saying isn't entirely plausible or even that it's extremely likely. I'm saying I'm not sold on it until more information comes back.

Per CNN the dad found the dry bag in some brambles and brought it to law enforcement. After that he was shown a pic of the backpack, told there were remains and the police asked them to leave.

Old 21st October 2021, 08:44 AM   #614
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Which part? The animal attack? The water becoming an issue? I'm not sure which part seems out of character for this area.
Any kind of death at all is unusual there.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2021, 08:57 AM   #615
plague311
Great minds think...

Any kind of death at all is unusual there.
I'll take your word for it. I have absolutely no familiarity with the location or with camping in general.

Old 21st October 2021, 09:31 AM   #616
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

I'll take your word for it. I have absolutely no familiarity with the location or with camping in general.
It's a park. A popular park as far as I can tell. This is the one park associated with this story that I haven't been to myself but I've been to the Everglades. This park advertises marked trails, camping, kayaking and canoeing among other things. Yes you can find danger if you're stupid or reckless but many people visit these places without any expectation they are risking their lives.

Being found a 10 minute walk from the parking lot is not consistent with him being in hiding or accidentally running in to a life threatening hazard (unless he sought one out intentionally).
Old 21st October 2021, 09:51 AM   #617
plague311
Great minds think...

Being found a 10 minute walk from the parking lot is not consistent with him being in hiding or accidentally running in to a life threatening hazard (unless he sought one out intentionally).
According to the news is was a bit deeper than that:

Quote:
The suspected remains were found "about 2 to 3 miles inside the Carlton Reserve, or about a 45-minute walk" from the entrance at Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park, North Port police spokesperson Josh Taylor said.

Old 21st October 2021, 10:04 AM   #618
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

OK. Still doesn't seem to change much. Maybe someone in the thread is familiar that park?

I note that says Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park, which I think is actually a "friendlier" park than the nearby Carlton Reserve that most of the pundits have been talking about.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 21st October 2021 at 11:32 AM.
Old 21st October 2021, 03:11 PM   #619
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

FBI confirms the remains to be Laundries.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2021, 03:12 PM   #620
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

So the phrase "remains" instead of "body" to me suggest he's been dead for a while.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2021, 03:15 PM   #621
Warp12
Master Poster

So, it seems like he was where the parents suggested, the whole time?
Old 21st October 2021, 03:29 PM   #622
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
So the phrase "remains" instead of "body" to me suggest he's been dead for a while.

Well, the phrase "partial human remains" had already been used officially by a senior police officer. The clear & obvious inference from this is that 1) not all of his body was in the same place - some of it was missing; and 2) the part of his body that they did recover was in bad shape (otherwise the usual construction is "body parts" or "part of a body").

It's (obviously) very likely that he couldn't have been the one responsible for removing parts of his own body. So we're only left with two agents for "redistributing" his body: either wild animals (most likely alligators or Burmese pythons, given the general location), or another human. And then, for each of these two options, the dismemberment might either have happened before death or at the point of death, or post mortem.

But if, say, he'd taken his own life and was lying dead at the swamp edge, it might be more difficult that it would at first appear to suppose that something like an alligator or python subsequently removed part of his body: as far as I'm aware, both these species most usually take live prey (for obvious evolution-related reasons).

Maybe a combination of the autopsy, plus a wider search radiating out from the location of the partial remains, might end up providing an answer to a) how he died, and b) how part of his body ended up separated from the rest. At least this horrible sad case does now have some element of conclusion, even if a more satisfying conclusion would have been reached by capturing Launtrie alive and putting him on trial.
Old 21st October 2021, 03:37 PM   #623
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Pythons don't tear up bodies. they have no way to. They swallow whatever whole. Clothes and all.

Skull w/ entry would in right side? Pistol in the mud? Or cause unknown?
Old 21st October 2021, 03:38 PM   #624
Warp12
Master Poster

Well, the phrase "partial human remains" had already been used officially by a senior police officer. The clear & obvious inference from this is that 1) not all of his body was in the same place - some of it was missing; and 2) the part of his body that they did recover was in bad shape (otherwise the usual construction is "body parts" or "part of a body").

It's (obviously) very likely that he couldn't have been the one responsible for removing parts of his own body. So we're only left with two agents for "redistributing" his body: either wild animals (most likely alligators or Burmese pythons, given the general location), or another human. And then, for each of these two options, the dismemberment might either have happened before death or at the point of death, or post mortem.

But if, say, he'd taken his own life and was lying dead at the swamp edge, it might be more difficult that it would at first appear to suppose that something like an alligator or python subsequently removed part of his body: as far as I'm aware, both these species most usually take live prey (for obvious evolution-related reasons).

Maybe a combination of the autopsy, plus a wider search radiating out from the location of the partial remains, might end up providing an answer to a) how he died, and b) how part of his body ended up separated from the rest. At least this horrible sad case does now have some element of conclusion, even if a more satisfying conclusion would have been reached by capturing Launtrie alive and putting him on trial.
Well, apparently he was identified via dental records.
Old 21st October 2021, 03:38 PM   #625
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

If he did kill her, I hope a gator killed and ate him.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2021, 03:49 PM   #626
Olmstead
Muse

Well, I'm surprised. Suicide wouldn't be high on my list of options if I were in his shoes.

Unless the guilt was too much to bear emotionally, which I guess I can see.
Olmstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2021, 03:59 PM   #627
Sherkeu
Master Poster

OK. Still doesn't seem to change much. Maybe someone in the thread is familiar that park?

I note that says Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park, which I think is actually a "friendlier" park than the nearby Carlton Reserve that most of the pundits have been talking about.
His car was parked at Myakkahatchee but he hiked north of there, across a canal bridge into the Slough Preserve along the creek, which is part of the Carlton Preserve and is the wetter side.

A lot of reports have it at Myakkahatchee because that is where all the larger vehicles were staged. There are many ranch homes surrounding that side. No structures on the other except for telephone lines.

To see how wet the 'dryer' side was as they were searching, see this rancher drive through it on Sept 26. Totally under water.

video:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1927742.html

The same flooded area the rancher is driving through can be seen in this aerial view from yesterday. It dried out a lot!

<snip> sorry photo too large will find another one.

Last edited by Sherkeu; 21st October 2021 at 04:07 PM.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2021, 04:05 PM   #628
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I've seen at least one news article that said that the remains were skeletal. Also, he was identified by dental records, which suggest to me that the remains were in bad enough condition that DNA was not viable.

My guess is that it was suicide, as his parents had suggested from the beginning. Either guilt, or the realization that he was likely looking at a life prison sentence, or the combination likely led him to decide that suicide was his only option. There may not be enough left to determine cause and manner of death, so we may never know for sure.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2021, 04:11 PM   #629
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Also, he was identified by dental records, which suggest to me that the remains were in bad enough condition that DNA was not viable..
Dental identification is just simpler. A single intact tooth would have DNA if they really needed a DNA test for some reason.
Old 21st October 2021, 04:16 PM   #630
kevbo
Critical Thinker

And so this story begins to draw to a close, without any need to think about moving the thread, or open a new one in Trials and Errors.

Unless, of course, something hinky develops about the parents involvement. But I doubt it will.
kevbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2021, 04:18 PM   #631
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

At this point, the authorities or the Laundrie family might try to give this news story a final spin, but it looks like it's run its full cycle.
Old 21st October 2021, 05:23 PM   #632
stanfr
Graduate Poster

I agree he likely committed suicide. Hopefully the notebook will confirm. And of course, the vast majority of pundits (including the celebs like Walsh) who blasted the police and said there was no way he was in the Preserve, but more likely some foreign nation, were totally wrong. If you can't contribute, criticize! Obviously the police had info early on that made them spend most of the resources on the search in FL, where it made the most sense. And they're vindicated. And then there are all the social media gurus blasting the Laundrie attorney for telling the parents to stay quiet, blaming them for his death and hers...blame blame. They're all clueless.

Last edited by stanfr; 21st October 2021 at 05:23 PM. Reason: typo
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2021, 06:55 PM   #633
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by stanfr View Post
I agree he likely committed suicide. Hopefully the notebook will confirm. And of course, the vast majority of pundits (including the celebs like Walsh) who blasted the police and said there was no way he was in the Preserve, but more likely some foreign nation, were totally wrong. If you can't contribute, criticize! Obviously the police had info early on that made them spend most of the resources on the search in FL, where it made the most sense. And they're vindicated. And then there are all the social media gurus blasting the Laundrie attorney for telling the parents to stay quiet, blaming them for his death and hers...blame blame. They're all clueless.
Everyone gonna look real silly when Dog and Walsh capture him alive in TJ
Old 21st October 2021, 08:38 PM   #634
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Dental records means they have a more or less intact head. Which is the usual target in suicide by hand gun.Sooo, proof of suicide may be forthcoming. Vs a gator got him.
Old 21st October 2021, 08:47 PM   #635
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Just for the record here, the average number of deaths in the US per year due to alligator attack appears to be one or a bit less. Even if he died by an alligator it probably means he was suicidal since it's actually hard to get an alligator to attack an adult human.

That may change if he was actually in the park trying to hide since that would force him in to less safe locations, but I'm still getting the sense that the location he was found is inconsistent with him trying to hide.

A bit out of date but: https://www.cnn.com/2016/06/17/healt...ics/index.html

ETA: https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/21/us/br...day/index.html This says the dry bag was found just 20 feet off the trail. It's more vague on the backpack and remains "...also nearby and also some distance off the trail..."

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 21st October 2021 at 09:18 PM.
Old 21st October 2021, 09:25 PM   #636
Sherkeu
Master Poster

Just for the record here, the average number of deaths in the US per year due to alligator attack appears to be one or a bit less. Even if he died by an alligator it probably means he was suicidal since it's actually hard to get an alligator to attack an adult human.
[/url]
Agree. No gator needed.

I think he killed himself the day he went out there Sep 13. He had nothing for camping which is why his parents came out to find him on Sep 14th and took the car on the 15th, after some rain. The car was not in a remote place.

It was relatively dry there when Brian went on his 'hike', but it just so happens that it rained late afternoon the next day on the 14th, again on the 16th, and then a VERY heavy rainstorm on the 17th- the day he was reported missing.

Sarasota weather Sept 2021:
https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/...th=9&year=2021

The rancher said it there was a dead body, the buzzards would move in at the first whiff of decomposition from miles away (he knows this from his cattle) but I think Brian got covered by water before that could happen.

Last edited by Sherkeu; 21st October 2021 at 09:27 PM.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2021, 09:30 PM   #637
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Those are additional good points. Nothing for camping and he arrived before the rain made the park more dangerous than usual. I think I'm nearly convinced that this is simply exactly what it appears to be.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 21st October 2021 at 09:41 PM.
Old 21st October 2021, 10:15 PM   #638
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

It is about 0.62 miles from the parking lot at Myakkahatchee. It is about a half mile from the bridge into Carton.

That is as the crow flies. To walk there from the parking lot, you have to go to the bridge. Then you have to either walk up along Big Slough Canal or follow some trails and the cut through the woods. Either way, those paths are about one mile.
Old 21st October 2021, 11:09 PM   #639
Sherkeu
Master Poster

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
It is about 0.62 miles from the parking lot at Myakkahatchee. It is about a half mile from the bridge into Carton.

That is as the crow flies. To walk there from the parking lot, you have to go to the bridge. Then you have to either walk up along Big Slough Canal or follow some trails and the cut through the woods. Either way, those paths are about one mile.
Yeah, it is shorter than someone from the local police had stated. They had said 2 or 3 miles. Might feel farther when you are searching in mucky terrain though.

I estimate not much more than a mile to walk it, if not taking a diversion along the way. Most forensics type vehicles stayed south of the bridge as they could not go closer into the area. Still very wet and muddy up there.

Red line is Brian's course, blue is law enforcement.

(as an aside I'm not sure why a journalist cannot do a simple map like this with some basic accuracy of the facts- other than they dont think people like specific maps of things. If they describe it and if they know the exact locations, I expect a good map!! And not one pointing to a 25 mile area or to a piece of Florida. Maybe that is just me)

Last edited by Sherkeu; 21st October 2021 at 11:11 PM.
Old 22nd October 2021, 10:34 AM   #640
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
Yeah, it is shorter than someone from the local police had stated. They had said 2 or 3 miles. Might feel farther when you are searching in mucky terrain though.

I estimate not much more than a mile to walk it, if not taking a diversion along the way. Most forensics type vehicles stayed south of the bridge as they could not go closer into the area. Still very wet and muddy up there.

Red line is Brian's course, blue is law enforcement.

(as an aside I'm not sure why a journalist cannot do a simple map like this with some basic accuracy of the facts- other than they dont think people like specific maps of things. If they describe it and if they know the exact locations, I expect a good map!! And not one pointing to a 25 mile area or to a piece of Florida. Maybe that is just me)
The journalism on this has been frustrating. It seems to be more focused on crank conspiracy theories and how people are feeling and what someone might have said and what protestors are doing and not much on hard facts. I have usually had to go to multiple sources to find things out because it is often a piece here and a bit of information there rather than a complete story. As you said, just a simple map is usually not provided.

Your map is a little off. The car would have been a bit further southwest. Straight in from the entrance road is an oval grassy area where the cars park. The remains were also a bit further southwest. There is a small marsh or bog next to the canal. The area taped off was in the southwest corner of that bog and the tent was just a little east of that in the woods.

Here is a very good map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...453680297&z=16

I think everything there is very accurate, except that the Mustang is shown at the entrance to the park and we don't know exactly where is was but it was probably at the parking area, which is at marker 1.

ETA: I was saying east when I meant west.

Last edited by DevilsAdvocate; 22nd October 2021 at 11:23 AM.
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events