IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd October 2021, 06:44 PM   #1
RRBacon
New Blood

A new approach to prediction

OK, just to be clear, this is not to Alarm, proselytize, disempower.
Just naming Nostradamus sets off a lynch mob response from usually rational folk, however having studied the subject, well it's adherents as commentators, are well below par, misrepresentation and misapplication, and fanciful outcomes are all presented as fact, so this does not go well for rational folk, who can clearly see the twaddle being presented, but being a good skeptic, I can take both sides, defend or decry, but to do that I need a cogent argument, so I might present something I am working on at present, defending the predictive ability of Nostradamus, and in his own words, so getting acquainted with 16th century idiom and filtered through an inquisition, oh he does not do Empires, no Russia No China No USA, unless they exceed their boundaries in warlike enterprise:
Since governments, sects and countries will undergo such sweeping changes, diametrically opposed to what now obtains,
(Basically Nations will become the opposite of how they started out)

that were I to relate events to come, those in power now - monarchs, leaders of sects and religions - would find these so different from their own imaginings that they would be led to condemn what later centuries will learn how to see and understand. (basically so inflammatory banned on sight does not make it untrue)
So some predictions and some post-dictions
2 Serious conflicts have taken place or the last one is still going through one in the subcontinent and one in the Middle East:
C8Q59. Twice put up and twice cast down,
the East will also weaken the West.
Its adversary after several battles
chased by sea will fail at time of need.

25. In the spring there will be omens, and thereafter extreme changes, reversals of realms and mighty earthquakes.
25a These will be accompanied by the procreation of the new Babylon, miserable daughter enlarged by the abomination of the first holocaust [1905-1917].
It will last for only seventy-three years and seven months.

27. The countries, towns, cities, realms and provinces which will have abandoned their old customs to gain liberty, but which will in fact have enthralled themselves even more,
will secretly have wearied of their liberty. Faith lost in their perfect religion,[communism] they will begin to strike to the left, only to return to the right. Holiness,
for a long time overcome, will be replaced in accordance with the earliest writings.
28a Temples will be set up again as in ancient times, and the priest will be restored to his original position and he will begin his whoredoms and luxury, and will commit a thousand crimes.
26a And the kingdom of the Furious One, who counterfeits the sage, will be united.
54.[from 73 years and 7 months] hearing the lament of the people of his principal title, will raise a very mighty army and, defying the tradition of his predecessors,

37. What great oppression will then fall upon the Princes and Governors of Kingdoms, especially those which will be maritime and Eastern, whose tongues will be intermingled with all others: the tongue of the Latins, and of the Arabs, via the Phoenicians. And all these Eastern Kings will be chased, overthrown and exterminated, but not altogether, by means of the forces of the Kings of the North.

47a For some time thereafter the blood of the Innocent will be shed profusely by the recently elevated guilty ones.

50. During this astrological supputation, harmonised with the Holy Scriptures, the persecution of the Ecclesiastical folk will have its origin in the power of the Kings of "Aquilon" [the North], united with the Easterners. This persecution will last for eleven years, or somewhat less, for then the chief King of "Aquilon" will fall.

36. For hereupon the principal Eastern chief will be vanquished by the Northerners and Westerners, and most of his people, stirred up, will be put to death, overwhelmed or scattered. His children, offspring of many women, will be imprisoned. Then will be accomplished the prophecy of the Royal Prophet, Let him hear the groaning of the captives, that he might deliver the children of those doomed to die.
32. The supporting common people will rise up and chase out the adherents of the legislators.

Last edited by RRBacon; 3rd October 2021 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Wrong text at introduction
RRBacon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2021, 07:04 PM   #2
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

It was always thus.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/0d73caf...6-e77b04336610
Old 3rd October 2021, 09:28 PM   #3
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like a CGSM to me
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
"Woke" is a pejorative term used by racists, bigots and homophobes to describe people who have a properly functioning moral compass!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2021, 10:04 PM   #4
Little 10 Toes
Master Poster

First paragraph is two sentences. OP, what are you trying to say?
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2021, 10:12 PM   #5
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

I predict this will end up going in circles.
Old 3rd October 2021, 11:03 PM   #6
Warp12
Illuminator

This post seems to follow a recent model.
Old 4th October 2021, 12:00 AM   #7
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

53 and a 1/2. And I say unto you, along will come a man of the chronic who will spin gibberish and doggerel and the sages will be heard to utter . . . meh.

Dr. Brytney Cobia

Last edited by Resume; 4th October 2021 at 12:02 AM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2021, 12:05 AM   #8
Axxman300
Philosopher

But does England win the World Cup? At least be useful with your "gift".
Old 4th October 2021, 12:28 AM   #9
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
I predict this will end up going in circles.
I am going to postdict something later.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2021, 12:58 AM   #10
Kid Eager
Philosopher

I’m still waiting for the new approach to be revealed…
Old 4th October 2021, 03:02 AM   #11
Carrot Flower King
Graduate Poster

Yeahbut, what about winners of the US Open?

(Thanks to John Sladek.)
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2021, 03:51 AM   #12
dellarte
Illuminator

Originally Posted by RRBacon View Post
28a Temples will be set up again as in ancient times, and the priest will be restored to his original position and he will begin his whoredoms and luxury, and will commit a thousand crimes.
Exactly a thousand crimes, eh? Be more specific. List them all and the jurisdiction they fall under.

No way...
dellarte is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2021, 04:08 AM   #13
malbui
Beauf

Well, I’m none the wiser.
Old 4th October 2021, 04:24 AM   #14
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

26a And the kingdom of the Furious One, who counterfeits the sage, will be united.
As has been made clear many times, there are no Constitutional means for Trump to be reinstated as President.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2021, 04:39 AM   #15
dellarte
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
As has been made clear many times, there are no Constitutional means for Trump to be reinstated as President.

Dave
Donald Trump was impeached twice while his current wife, Melania, committed a fashion faux pas. Are you saying we ought to consider rounding those up to "a thousand crimes"?

No way...
dellarte is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2021, 07:18 AM   #16
Hevneren
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
No.
Hevneren is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2021, 09:12 AM   #17
Little 10 Toes
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
Better yet, why didn't it reveal the 7-1 World Cup semi-final?
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2021, 09:26 AM   #18
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

So far it looks like the same old approach to me.
Old 4th October 2021, 09:34 AM   #19
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
Yeahbut, what about winners of the US Open?

(Thanks to John Sladek.)
You won't find the answer directly in Nostradamus. However you may recall the Bible code technique of interpretation. Interestingly this year is the 166th US golf open. If you start at quatrain 166 and take every 18th letter, 18 is the number of holes on a course, it spells out Bryson DeChambeau.

Unfortunately Bryson won the 165th championship not the 166th so we conclude Nostradamus knows **** all about golf.

Last edited by Lothian; 4th October 2021 at 09:36 AM.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2021, 09:42 AM   #20
8enotto
Master Poster

Isn't verbose, vague and darkly threatening of some unknown danger to come enough to be a prophet?

It's been fooling the rubes for a thousand years, why change what works so well?
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2021, 01:21 PM   #21
Venom
Philosopher

? oo
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2021, 01:48 PM   #22
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

but being a good skeptic, I can take both sides, defend or decry, but to do that I need a cogent argument, so I might present something I am working on at present, defending the predictive ability of Nostradamus, and in his own words, so getting acquainted with 16th century idiom and filtered through an inquisition
This is going to be yet another instance of Zeno's Epistemology, isn't it?

You tell us you have a new approach, and in each successive post you cover half the remaining distance to an explanation or demonstration of that approach. Ultimately, your posts make such infinitesimal adjustments that no further progress can be perceived. The new approach itself is never revealed.
Old 4th October 2021, 03:57 PM   #23
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
This is going to be yet another instance of Zeno's Epistemology, isn't it?

You tell us you have a new approach, and in each successive post you cover half the remaining distance to an explanation or demonstration of that approach. Ultimately, your posts make such infinitesimal adjustments that no further progress can be perceived. The new approach itself is never revealed.
I predict you will turn out to be correct
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
"Woke" is a pejorative term used by racists, bigots and homophobes to describe people who have a properly functioning moral compass!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2021, 03:59 PM   #24
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Nostradamus?? REALLY??! Didn't this **** die out in the 70's when better drugs became available?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2021, 04:23 PM   #25
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Nostradamus?? REALLY??! Didn't this **** die out in the 70's when better drugs became available?
Nostradamus' works only show "predictions" when you use utterly biased translations and then torture the **** out of them to make them read the way you want them to read. His "predictions" are about the best example you will ever see of cognitive bias at work.
Old 4th October 2021, 04:26 PM   #26
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Nostradamus' works only show "predictions" when you use utterly biased translations and then torture the **** out of them to make them read the way you want them to read. His "predictions" are about the best example you will ever see of cognitive bias at work.
There seems to be a cycle of this. How many times has Nostradamus twaddle been trotted out as "this is interesting and important" only to be comprehensively discussed, disproven, dismembered and discarded shortly thereafter? This must be the third or fourth time since I first laughed at this nonsense in my uni days in the 70's.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2021, 04:37 PM   #27
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Still waiting on Bacon’s novum organum.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2021, 05:06 PM   #28
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

A good article on Nosti and his predictions here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-33da11f3c0b8/

The article was triggered by the failure of (about) the only prediction that has an actual date attached, Century X, No. 72:

Quote:
The year one thousand nine ninety-nine seven month
From the sky shall come a great King of terror,
[Shall be] revived the great King of Angoulmois.
Before and after, Mars [shall] reign as chance will have it.
Fans are still trying to interpret it 22 years later.
Old 4th October 2021, 05:13 PM   #29
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I know Nostradamus is a bad start, so instead of explaining my method and demonstrating how it can be used to rehabilitate him, I'm just going to spam some poorly formatted quatrains, before pissing right off again. That will surely allay any suspicions, and buy me the good will I so desperately need, here at the outset.

It's true what Princess Irulan says. "A beginning is a very delicate time." And you, RRBacon, have barged through yours with all the delicacy of an industrial lathe taking a careless worker's arm. And then promptly the rest of him.
Old 4th October 2021, 07:22 PM   #30
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I know Nostradamus is a bad start, so instead of explaining my method and demonstrating how it can be used to rehabilitate him, I'm just going to spam some poorly formatted quatrains, before pissing right off again. That will surely allay any suspicions, and buy me the good will I so desperately need, here at the outset.

It's true what Princess Irulan says. "A beginning is a very delicate time." And you, RRBacon, have barged through yours with all the delicacy of an industrial lathe taking a careless worker's arm. And then promptly the rest of him.
Whatever you do, don't search on Youtube for that...
Old 4th October 2021, 08:14 PM   #31
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Nice to know we finally have a "good skeptic" among us. I am very excited to be shown where I've been going wrong
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis

Last edited by Filippo Lippi; 4th October 2021 at 08:16 PM.
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2021, 02:29 AM   #32
Carrot Flower King
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
It was still doing the rounds in the early '90s, as I can recall a couple of lads on our CAMH in-patient unit getting quite hung up on it as it fed their anxiety states. One of them never gave me back my original copy of Sladek's New Apocrypha, which I loaned him to combat some of the Nostradamus stufff.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2021, 03:18 AM   #33
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Nostradamus' works only show "predictions"

…after the events they are claimed to predict.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2021, 03:40 AM   #34
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
…after the events they are claimed to predict.
That too!
Old 5th October 2021, 04:58 AM   #35
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Still waiting on Bacon’s novum organum.
What about the Prophecies of Saint Malachy?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2021, 05:12 AM   #36
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Are these, by chance, nice and accurate prophecies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5th October 2021, 05:23 AM   #37
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Nostradamus totally copied Saint John the Divine.
Old 5th October 2021, 05:25 AM   #38
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Are these, by chance, nice and accurate prophecies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Of course they are. You merely need a proper prophet to interpret them for you.
Old 5th October 2021, 05:41 AM   #39
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Strife and contention there shall be in the Thoroughfares
In the presence of the Children whose footsteps tread nigh upon Our own
The Principles they hitherto exalted passed from the Earth
Whilst those who Exhorted the disputing forces from on High
Presume to adjudicate every Error and Crime
From the Judgment Seat they deem, their voice as choruses of metal from fiery dragon mouths

Then shall arise the New Boss whom all shall greet
Crying out, Lo, is that not the Same as the Old Boss?
Old 5th October 2021, 05:46 AM   #40
Susheel
Master Poster

Quote:
And there shall in that time be rumours of things going astray, and there will be a great confusion as to where things really are, and nobody will really know where lieth those little things with the sort of raffia work base, that has an attachment…at this time, a friend shall lose his friend’s hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before around eight o’clock...
How can one not quote Python?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal