IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th October 2021, 07:16 PM   #81
RRBacon
New Blood

Perhaps you have read the Epistle in it's presented form?
Remember this guy is the king of word play and games, you try and give a message through blockheaded inquisitors.
A man is crazy who writes a secret in any other way than one which will conceal it from the vulgar.
Roger Bacon
RRBacon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2021, 07:22 PM   #82
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
5. Made a living as an astrologer to nobility
That should have been your first point.

This is what it has always been about - people with more money than sense, desperate to insert a little (false) certainty into their lives. If you can make a living out of it, why not?
Old 27th October 2021, 07:29 PM   #83
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RRBacon View Post
Remember this guy is the king of word play and games, you try and give a message through blockheaded inquisitors.
A man is crazy who writes a secret in any other way than one which will conceal it from the vulgar.
Roger Bacon
Okay, but when will you show us the *new* approach to prediction?
Old 27th October 2021, 08:37 PM   #84
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Roger Bacon
Roger Bacon also said:
Quote:
The strongest arguments prove nothing so long as the conclusions are not verified by experience. Experimental science is the queen of sciences and the goal of all speculation.
My pleasure.
Old 28th October 2021, 08:34 AM   #85
kali1137
Master Poster

Why is this always the same?? Woo believer comes in and says "I can show you proof that (insert woo here) exists. Just listen to what I have to say!". We give said person a chance where they proceed to spout their beliefs, no proof including, never even coming close to what is promised in the thread title, and proceed to ignore every valid point raised against them. Is this what they are teaching in schools these days?
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2021, 09:30 AM   #86
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by kali1137 View Post
Why is this always the same?? Woo believer comes in and says "I can show you proof that (insert woo here) exists. Just listen to what I have to say!". We give said person a chance where they proceed to spout their beliefs, no proof including, never even coming close to what is promised in the thread title, and proceed to ignore every valid point raised against them. Is this what they are teaching in schools these days?
There's a gulf between what's taught in school and what individuals retain. Also, what's taught in school and what kids learn at home may be very different. If the family is stable, I suspect the parents' teachings will be more important than than the schools'.

I have no idea if critical thinking—trying to determine if any given piece of information is true or false—is on the curriculum of any school. Most schools are simply trying to get basic facts into the students' heads, with a side order of research skills.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2021, 10:02 AM   #87
Carrot Flower King
Graduate Poster

From a UK-ian perspective, my former professional life (some teaching of student nurses, some teaching of bods in other clinical disciplines, discussing various matters with colleagues of many clinical disciplines), dealing with management and observing my nephews and niece (one physics degree, a kinda geography degree, one masters in data management, one masters in agricultural surveying and a continuing medical degree), I would strongly suggest that teaching of critical thinking, if it exists at all, is pretty damn poor, as there does not seem to be much of it about. One of the 3 of them is decent at thinking critically, the other 2 less so.

What US-ia is like I can only begin to guess, but when you have state legislatures apparently trying to remove such things from school curricula...

Last edited by Carrot Flower King; 28th October 2021 at 10:03 AM.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2021, 10:09 AM   #88
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
From a UK-ian perspective, my former professional life (some teaching of student nurses, some teaching of bods in other clinical disciplines, discussing various matters with colleagues of many clinical disciplines), dealing with management and observing my nephews and niece (one physics degree, a kinda geography degree, one masters in data management, one masters in agricultural surveying and a continuing medical degree), I would strongly suggest that teaching of critical thinking, if it exists at all, is pretty damn poor, as there does not seem to be much of it about. One of the 3 of them is decent at thinking critically, the other 2 less so.

What US-ia is like I can only begin to guess, but when you have state legislatures apparently trying to remove such things from school curricula...
It's not just that. It's also the rise of "home schooling" wherein children are fed amplified versions of the nonsense their parents believe.
Old 28th October 2021, 11:39 AM   #89
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Why is Mesopotamia Kashmir and not Mesopotamia?
Because it's ajar (a jar).

Get it?
Old 28th October 2021, 01:13 PM   #90
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Roger Bacon
And what does this statement have to do with your new approach to prediction?

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2021, 01:20 PM   #91
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Because we keep feeding them?
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2021, 05:44 PM   #92
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Because it's ajar (a jar).

Get it?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal