ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Istanbul incidents , Jamal Khashoggi , journalists , Middle East incidents , Middle East issues , Saudi Arabia issues , Turkey incidents , Turkey issues

Old 10th November 2018, 12:16 PM   #401
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Not sure it had to be short notice; even the Saudi government (reluctantly) concedes the entire killing was premeditated. So, this isn't a case of people suddenly finding themselves with a body to dispose of and going "oh shoot, what do we do now?" They would have brought the acid with them, or otherwise made sure it was available when they needed it.

Who doesn't pack a few barrels of acid whenever they bring their bone saw somewhere, just in case?

I know I always do.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2018, 01:32 PM   #402
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

TBH, this really gets me:
US forces have sometimes gone to great lengths to allow relatives access to the bodies of fallen fighters or civilian victims; and when that was not advisable (as with bin Laden), they took pains to give a proper burial at sea.

But the Saudis, supposedly the Best Muslims to watch over Mecca, don't think twice about literally flushing a devout fellow believer down the toilet.

I know this has been a big scandal, but somehow not big enough...
Old 11th November 2018, 09:11 AM   #403
wasapi
Philosopher

My fear is that gradually this story is forgotten about and no one has to take responsibility.
Old 11th November 2018, 10:12 AM   #404
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
My fear is that gradually this story is forgotten about and no one has to take responsibility.
One has nothing to do with the other. The person responsible (the current de facto head of state in Saudi Arabia) will almost certainly never be held accountable for his crime, regardless of whether or not anyone remembers what he did.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2018, 06:18 AM   #405
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Erdogan has claimed today that Turkey has given the audio recordings of the murder to the Saudis, the US, UK, France and Germany.

The French foreign minister said today they haven't gotten any recordings from Turkey.

Originally Posted by Reuters
Asked if that meant Erdogan was lying, Le Drian said: “it means that he has a political game to play in these circumstances.”
Originally Posted by Reuters
“The truth isn’t out yet. We want to know the truth, the circumstances of his death and the identity of the culprits. Then we will take the necessary actions,” Le Drian told France 2 television. “If the Turkish president has information to give us, he must give it to us. For now, I don’t know about it.”
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2018, 12:15 PM   #406
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Jamal Khashoggi murder: Canadian intelligence 'has heard tape'

Quote:
Canadian intelligence has heard an audio recording of the killing of the Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has confirmed.

"Canada has been fully briefed up on what Turkey had to share," he said.

Mr Trudeau is the first Western leader to confirm his country has listened to the purported tape of the murder at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.

Turkey's president said on Saturday that he had given copies to the US, UK, Germany, France and Saudi Arabia.

"We gave them the tapes," Recep Tayyip Erdogan told reporters before flying to Paris for a gathering of world leaders commemorating the 100th anniversary of the end of World War One. "They've also listened to the conversations, they know it."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46183630
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2018, 12:24 PM   #407
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

this is utterly fascinating: all the Western Powers want to keep plausible deniability about having heard the evidence, as to not having to do anything about the murder.
Old 12th November 2018, 12:32 PM   #408
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Yeni Safak is also quoting Merkel's speaker on the topic, but with similar hearsay to Trudeau.

Originally Posted by Yeni Safak
German government has confirmed intelligence sharing between Turkey and Germany about the recordings of the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

Asked about recent media reports over the weekend, Chancellor Angela Merkel’s spokesman confirmed that they have received information from Turkey.

“I can tell you that there has been an exchange of intelligence service information on that,” Steffen Seibert told a regular news conference, but declined to give any further details. [...]

So do we have any non-Turk who claims to have listened to them directly? Gina Haspel (idk)?

edit: Quickly checked (never believe anything by Yeni Safak): Seibert was not asked about the recordings, just generally about information on details shared by the Turks (also not mentioning "reports over the weekend"), so the headline and the first paragraph I quoted are untrue. He just gave a typically weasel-worded answer to a very broad question.

edit2: Oh, and needless to say the Turks are foaming at the mouth over the French statement.

Originally Posted by Yeni Safak
President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan's communications director said on Monday it was unacceptable for French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian to accuse the Turkish president of playing political games in the case of the slain Saudi journalist.

Le Drian said on Monday that France was not in possession of recordings related to the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi as far as he was aware, contradicting remarks by Turkey's president.

"If there is lack of communication between France's state institutions, they will be the one to solve the problem," Fahrettin Altun said.

"Turkey keeps on revealing all details of the Khashoggi murder, including the mastermind giving the order. If it weren't for Turkey's determined efforts, the case would already have been covered," he added. [...]

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 12th November 2018 at 12:48 PM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events